Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Hey Canucks HF, Yotes fan coming in peace.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh, whom the Canucks did not qualify this offseason (and are both now UFAs). I know Dalpe and Welsh didn't play all that much this season, but they could be bargain bin options for the Coyotes as we still definitely are in need of scoring help at forward but our player budget might be lower than initially expected (possibly due to the Ribeiro buyout).

I'm especially interested in hearing your takes on Dalpe, who seems to have all the tools to be a solid scorer in the NHL but hasn't quite put it all together yet. Dalpe could certainly be a ideal triggerman for Gagner.

Anyways, thanks!

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I didn't mind either, and on a PTO it would be a bad move for any team. They still have enough promise IMO to sign them

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Dalpe might be worth the gamble.

Welsh, career AHL'er

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Should have had Santorelli on your radar instead. Definitely more proven... and that TO contract couldn't have been that hard to beat.

With Gagner in tow (and by all accounts he will be at center for the Yotes), I don't see Maloney being interested in Santorelli. And it's not a slight on Santorelli, either, who had a very solid season for you guys. It's just that the skillset he would provide is redundant. Like with Ribeiro last year, we need someone who's willing to pull the trigger and can actually hit the net.

Santorelli's TO contract probably would not have been hard to beat, but getting Gagner for a 6th and with 33% salary retained wasn't too shabby of a move either. :)

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Neither showed enough skills to be a top-6 forward, nor the defensive abilities or grit to be 3rd or 4th liner. I got the impression that Torts wanted Dalpe and Welsh was a throw-in because Carolina needed to dump a contract.

DefMars

May 22, 2011
With Gagner in tow (and by all accounts he will be at center for the Yotes), I don't see Maloney being interested in Santorelli. And it's not a slight on Santorelli, either, who had a very solid season for you guys. It's just that the skillset he would provide is redundant. Like with Ribeiro last year, we need someone who's willing to pull the trigger and can actually hit the net.

Santorelli's TO contract probably would not have been hard to beat, but getting Gagner for a 6th and with 33% salary retained wasn't too shabby of a move either. :)

I think dalpe is worth a shot. He has a pretty accurate wrister and can get it off fast although not with a lot of power. Good skater wasn't given much of a opportunity here so tough to say what he can do, but I think he is worth a gamble for the coyotes

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Santo could play wing though, could have been handy.

I would take a chance on Dalpe, still young, if he gets some time and real minutes he has potential, decent shot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dalpe is a shooter who should have been playing on the wing but was mis-cast here as a #4 center. I still like him as a player and hope someone gives him a shot because I think there's potential there that just wasn't given a chance here.

Welsh is a low-event big body who is an OK system/depth player but will never be an NHL regular.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Welsh is more likely to be more useful in the NHL because he can grind and play the boards.

Dalpe is more of a skill player who isn't good enough for the top 6.

Neither of these players are going to be good bargains, even at league minimum.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Welsh was alright on our 4th line for a bit, but what you see is what you get with him.

Dalpe has some potential, but don't think his game translates well at centre, could make a decent winger though.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Should have had Santorelli on your radar instead. Definitely more proven... and that TO contract couldn't have been that hard to beat.

I was listening to the Santorelli Interview and he made it fairly clear he wanted to stay in Canada he loves the atmosphere in the buildings in Canada. Don't think he would get the same feeling in Pheonix...

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
i like Dalpe. guy has skill just needs opportunity. worst case he'll help the Ultica Comets and our prospects.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Honestly, Welsh is a completely irrelevant entity...he's not an NHL capable player on any worthwhile team. If he's your AHL 4th line center and you have enough of a ****ed up season to get to the point where you're calling him up...you're hooped.

Dalpe...there may still be something there. It's really hard to tell...he skates well, works hard, doesn't really accomplish much. He is somewhat versatile though...a lot of teams could do a lot worse as a 13th/14th forward. Like a really dull Swiss Army Knife forward who can play a bit of C a bit of W and be fairly poor but not standout bad anywhere.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
For some reason I remember Welsh actually not looking too bad at some points. I agree that he's an AHL player, though.

I actually liked Dalpe a lot. He's not amazing, but he's pretty fast and has a really quick release. Seemed like every time he got a decent chance it went over the net, though :laugh:

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Dalpe is a good 4th liner, and sometimes 3rd if your desperate.

He's a streaky scorer, but I'm sure if you play him with some good players he can develop him game better.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I think dalpe is worth a shot. He has a pretty accurate wrister and can get it off fast although not with a lot of power. Good skater wasn't given much of a opportunity here so tough to say what he can do, but I think he is worth a gamble for the coyotes

Yeah, he wasn't really given much of a shot at all. Would have liked to see him alongside Kesler for a bit as he could also make plays from the wing, skate and had a decent shot himself. I think he's more suited to wing in the NHL though if he makes it. Hoping Utica snaps him up actually.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Welsh is definitely an AHLer.

Dalpe didn't show much but wasn't exactly given the best opportunities or put in the best situations. Guy definitely has some potential but I wouldn't bet on him tapping into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad