Yzerman end of season press conference

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Regardless of your individual opinions it is Steve Yzerman who gets to make this kind of decisions and we all know that as GM he chose Babcock twice to lead Canada in the Olympics and was rewarded both times with championships.

When you hear him saying that he prefers coaches that he knows and already have relationships with(even hinting that he was revealing more by that statement than he wanted), you can't deny that Babcock fits that description to a T so much so that one of the reporters asked him outright if he was referring to Babcock in the press conference.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
One thing to consider for all of you who are thinking Babcock is a possibility… he signed an eight-year contract that pays him $6.25 million per year with Toronto in 2015. This upcoming season will be the last year of that contract. He’s currently a volunteer coach because Toronto’s still paying him. If he signs a new deal that pays him, the Leafs are off the hook.

Do you think Yzerman will pay him more than $6.25M this year to come and coach? I highly doubt it.

He’ll probably go to a contender when his contract is up.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
One thing to consider for all of you who are thinking Babcock is a possibility… he signed an eight-year contract that pays him $6.25 million per year with Toronto in 2015. This upcoming season will be the last year of that contract. He’s currently a volunteer coach because Toronto’s still paying him. If he signs a new deal that pays him, the Leafs are off the hook.

Do you think Yzerman will pay him more than $6.25M this year to come and coach? I highly doubt it.

I don't think it'll be Babcock, but if it is, he's gonna get paid $4M/yr so if he's guaranteed 3 or 4 years, he'll make more money in the long run if he wants to get back into the NHL.

I think he's gonna hire someone from TB organization. Pure speculation.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Are you also aware, that 85%* of Red Wings fans preferred Mike Babcock to Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump and Adolf Hitler as the next Red Wings head coach

* One person also answered that Ben Simon sucks donkey balls

Those 15% are the pro tank crowd that were unhappy when Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Datsyuk were giving us 50 win seasons.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Regardless of your individual opinions it is Steve Yzerman who gets to make this kind of decisions and we all know that as GM he chose Babcock twice to lead Canada in the Olympics and was rewarded both times with championships.

When you hear him saying that he prefers coaches that he knows and already have relationships with(even hinting that he was revealing more by that statement than he wanted), you can't deny that Babcock fits that description to a T so much so that one of the reporters asked him outright if he was referring to Babcock in the press conference.
I will actually bet you money that this will not happen.

Reactions: SoupNazi

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

We know. You've made that opinion known several times here.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Man I really don't want Babcock around young talent. He is terrible with kids in my opinion. I know what he did on his way up, I just think he lost touch with that. I figure he is out an additional year regardless on salary. That would be a pretty tough sell, he irritated a lot of people on the way out, some of them still with the organization even with what Yzerman has turned over. I guess we will see, I would be pretty against that hiring.

Reactions: DoMakc and SoupNazi

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Idk if anyone has listened to Larks interview but its pretty obvious that if this doesn't change next year he's not going to resign/request a trade.

Larkin has one year left on his contract. Yzerman said earlier this year he wants to get a contract extension finished. Larkin does too. The seven-year NHL veteran said he can't envision himself anywhere else.

"I really love being a Red Wing, and I love being the captain of the team, and I think this team is going to do special things in the near future," he said.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I will actually bet you money that this will not happen.

That's a good bet because there's several coaches out there Yzerman knew from his playing days that are primed for promotions.

Like yeah Babcock fits his little hints, but do so a couple other guys that haven't had rocky experiences at their last job and alienated Red Wings that are still around the team.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I thought the Leafs still had to pay him the difference if he made less than 6.25?

not that I think Babcock is coming here(or think that he should come here)

Reactions: TCNorthstars

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Some here have recommended Torts. He has plenty of detractors as well from players, the media, etc.

Last year alone he has criticized both Connor McDavid and Trevor Zegras so how do you expect a team coached by him to attract those kind of players.

But he is also a future Hall of Famer that has been behind the bench for more wins than any other U.S.-born coach in NHL history, has his name is on the Stanley Cup (2004, Tampa Bay Lightning), and he is a two-time Jack Adams Award winner as coach of the year (2004 Tampa Bay, 2017 Columbus).

Babs actually has better relations with the media, his players and other teams than Torts and he doesn't usually criticize players on other teams like Torts does.

Sure you will find the occasional player who doesn't like how he was treated but you get that from every team when they felt they didn't get the ice time they deserved like Mike Commodore has been telling the whole world.

Look... not that it matters...
But what has Connor McDavid or Trevor Zegras won?
So the showy superstar, if he's getting paid to the max as young showy superstars often are, might not be the best way to win.
And let's say they are... how many of these high-profile, showy superstars change hands during UFA and go on to win with their new team.

That said, while I respect the way Torts' gets quite a bit out of him teams (before they mutiny), I don't think I want Torts in Detroit.

Babs plays the media game well.
But this motherf***er was trying to show up his GM, trying to show the Wings veteran leadership, etc... f***ing over players on a regular basis - just to show everyone who was boss.

Reactions: Ricelund

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
So the showy superstar, if he's getting paid to the max as young showy superstars often are, might not be the best way to win.
And let's say they are... how many of these high-profile, showy superstars change hands during UFA and go on to win with their new team.

That said, while I respect the way Torts' gets quite a bit out of him teams (before they mutiny), I don't think I want Torts in Detroit.

But this motherf***er was trying to show up his GM, trying to show the Wings veteran leadership, etc... f***ing over players on a regular basis - just to show everyone who was boss.

I mean Zegras was the best player on the US team that just won the WJC, which is about as much as you can expect a 20 year old to win imo.

But realistically we're not hiring Babs or Torts so I'm not losing sleep over any of this.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago

Actually I thought Holland had Babcock's back when he was GM. He even said outright that if any player had any problems with Mike to talk to him and if he can't smooth matters out and the player is still unhappy, he will try to trade him. AFAIK, nobody took the offer. Kenny also tried to resign Babcock at a lower bid price but the latter took the better offer and went to Toronto.

When the Franzen issue came out, this is what Kenny said from Edmonton:

Edmonton Oilers general manager Ken Holland told reporters Wednesday he was not aware Mike Babcock mistreated players during their time with the Detroit Red Wings, responding to recent accusations of verbal assault from former players Chris Chelios and Johan Franzen.

"I've been a general manager for 22 years," said Holland — who has worked with Scotty Bowman, Dave Lewis, Babcock, Jeff Blashill and now Dave Tippett in his 22 years as an NHL general manager — via TSN. "At the end of the year, I always do exit interviews. A player not liking the coach, not liking their role, not liking who they’re playing with – I hear that all the time."

“You talk about Johan Franzen, I can't speak for Johan," he added. "And when he came out, he was very clear and said Mike Babcock was a tremendous coach. He doesn’t like him as a person."

Holland, who was with Babcock in Detroit for 10 years before leaving to take the Edmonton GM job in May, said players' opinions of Babcock varied. He added that while he isn't usually in the locker room when his coaches talk to their teams, he is "aware of everything" as a general manager.

"There's one-on-one meetings and some team meetings. I'm not privy to every word that comes out, but certainly I’m aware of the message," Holland told reporters. "I try to be available to our players through the years... to talk to the players after the season in exit meetings and get to know what's going on. Am I aware that there was some unhappiness? Yeah. But there's always going to be some unhappiness. I don't care what your style is. But some stuff, I'm not aware of."

With regards to superstars moving to other teams, Wayne Gretzky just said in an interview that he wanted to join the Redwings when he found out Edmonton was trading him as a Gordie Howe and Redwings fan growing up but his father dissuaded him so he went to LA.
When the Edmonton Oilers decided to trade Wayne Gretzky in the 1988, his first plan was to engineer a deal with the Detroit Red Wings.
Gretzky told that story on the highly-popular Spittin’ Chiclets Podcast this week.

“It came down to LA, Detroit, New York and Philly,” Gretzky said on the podcast.
“Then soon it came down to Detroit or Los Angeles. LA had Hollywood, young stars Jimmy Carson and Luc Robitaille, and a chance to help sell the game. Detroit had Steve Yzerman and Detroit was less than a three-hour drive from his hometown of Brantford, Ontario. We had sat down and we decided I was going to Detroit. I remember sitting there going, ‘OK, this is great, I’m going to go play in Detroit.’ I grew up a Red Wings fans with Gordie Howe and everything that goes with it,” he said. “And my Dad called me and said, ‘Listen, I’ll give you a little advice. There’s only one Gordie Howe, and Detroit’s Detroit. You don’t need to go there. Why don’t you do something different and go to LA?’

Imagine having Yzerman and Gretzky on the same team. Both players were having monster seasons at that time.

Last edited:

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
That's a good bet because there's several coaches out there Yzerman knew from his playing days that are primed for promotions.

Like yeah Babcock fits his little hints, but do so a couple other guys that haven't had rocky experiences at their last job and alienated Red Wings that are still around the team.
I've said it before and ill say it again, first he said it won't be until at least after the playoffs. You know who he's worked with and knows his expectations? Derek Lalonde, Tampa Bay assistant coach. Why him? Has experience with a previous powerhouse that was there when the tides changed in Tampa, he has won back to back cups with the team and he learnt from Cooper who Yzerman loves.

Now why would he take a job here? He is an assistant now and i'm sure all assistants aspire to be gm's plus when your old boss is asking about giving you a promotion with a team that is on a rise no to mention we are talking the Red Wings. Are you going to turn that down? Plus the only way he is taking over in Tampa and that's if Cooper gets fired which even if they get swept in the first round, they just won two cups and they have played alot if hockey the last few years and they've lost some players due to the cap.

Lastly, Yzerman wants to have talks with him, Brisebois is gonna let him as well as Vinik. Brise has his job due to Yzerman stepping down and stayed on the org for a year after to pretty much set back and help if needed. With Vinik, they didn't leave on bad terms and Yzerman left him with a hell of a team. Sure they didn't win a cup under him but they competed for years. Both Yzerman and Vinik have nothing but good things to say about each other and you can tell there is mutual respect.

Could it be Babcock though? Who knows but the guys has a rep and Yzerman isn't a drama bullshit kind of guy because if it doesn't go good quick especially with Babcock then its a bad look for Steve and i'm sure he's aware of that. He isn't afraid to promote someone either wether it be from a lower league or an assistant. Clearly he wanted a pretty fresh start in Detroit and bringing Babcock in just seems like an old move.

On a final note Yzerman loves Tampa's style of team and how they play, he pretty much built it. Lalonde knows Tampa's style pretty well i'd say and could bring it into Detroit in kinda of a same time frame as when he was hired in Tampa. He's also likes ex players of Tampa as well as staff, he already knows what he's got. It just makes entirely too much sense.

Reactions: Bench

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Why is everyone talking Lalonde so much but not Zettler?
Zettler has a longer history with Yzerman, more success as a head coach at the AHL level, more NHL assistant experience, and more pro player experience to draw on.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I don't think it'll be Babcock, but if it is, he's gonna get paid $4M/yr so if he's guaranteed 3 or 4 years, he'll make more money in the long run if he wants to get back into the NHL.

I think he's gonna hire someone from TB organization. Pure speculation.
Or he can just keep his volunteer gig, pull in his $6.25 million, then get the same multi-year guaranteed contract after next season. I don't think he's taking much risk waiting a year.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Actually I thought Holland had Babcock's back when he was GM. He even said outright that if any player had any problems with Mike to talk to him and if he can't smooth matters out and the player is still unhappy, he will try to trade him. AFAIK, nobody took the offer. Kenny also tried to resign Babcock at a lower bid price but the latter took the better offer and went to Toronto.
Remember the bizarre media tour Holland and Babcock did the summer Babcock left? Very odd in retrospect.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Blashill supporters gonna be waiting in the bushes for the next hire. He'll get heat almost immediately if Wings don't make playoffs year 1 by the Blashill crowd, imo. Even more heat if they struggle for any reason.

Very interested for sure to see who'll be brought in. I've personally been saying Paul Maurice for a long-time, but I can see also why not. There are a lot of options to swift through quite frankly and it's early. I expect a little time taken before a hire is actually made.

Who ever is brought in I expect Yzerman to pull a few supporting moves for the coach so the team can see significant improvement in the win totals and not face the heat like I mentioned to start.

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
Has anyone considered Toledo’s coaching staff? Finished as the best team in the ECHL this season and are favorites for the Kelly cup. Basically the only opinion from within the org.

USMarine

May 4, 2022
Mississippi
www.letsgowings.com
Why is everyone talking Lalonde so much but not Zettler?
Zettler has a longer history with Yzerman, more success as a head coach at the AHL level, more NHL assistant experience, and more pro player experience to draw on.
Yzerman fired Rob Zettler. He was brought back to Tampa by Brisebois after Yzerman was gone.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I'm not really into taking what yzerman says at face value but I think this is somewhat telling of his mindset heading into the offseason
“Not really,” he said. “The danger becomes you start to get a little impatient, desperate, I’m not sure what the right word is, and then you do something stupid. … Any time I’ve tried to force something, force a trade, force a signing, I’ve kind of regretted it for different reasons. I think you just have to remain patient. Quite frankly I think it’ll be easier for me to be patient than it will for yourself.”

Personally, I don't think yzerman does much this offseason and instead waits to see whomever he hires as coach can get more out of the current roster and specifically the young guys next season. I think next offseason is where we will start to see yzerman get more aggressive for better or worse.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

When the Franzen issue came out, this is what Kenny said from Edmonton:

Edmonton Oilers general manager Ken Holland told reporters Wednesday he was not aware Mike Babcock mistreated players during their time with the Detroit Red Wings, responding to recent accusations of verbal assault from former players Chris Chelios and Johan Franzen.

"I've been a general manager for 22 years," said Holland — who has worked with Scotty Bowman, Dave Lewis, Babcock, Jeff Blashill and now Dave Tippett in his 22 years as an NHL general manager — via TSN. "At the end of the year, I always do exit interviews. A player not liking the coach, not liking their role, not liking who they’re playing with – I hear that all the time."

“You talk about Johan Franzen, I can't speak for Johan," he added. "And when he came out, he was very clear and said Mike Babcock was a tremendous coach. He doesn’t like him as a person."

Holland, who was with Babcock in Detroit for 10 years before leaving to take the Edmonton GM job in May, said players' opinions of Babcock varied. He added that while he isn't usually in the locker room when his coaches talk to their teams, he is "aware of everything" as a general manager.

"There's one-on-one meetings and some team meetings. I'm not privy to every word that comes out, but certainly I’m aware of the message," Holland told reporters. "I try to be available to our players through the years... to talk to the players after the season in exit meetings and get to know what's going on. Am I aware that there was some unhappiness? Yeah. But there's always going to be some unhappiness. I don't care what your style is. But some stuff, I'm not aware of."

With regards to superstars moving to other teams, Wayne Gretzky just said in an interview that he wanted to join the Redwings when he found out Edmonton was trading him as a Gordie Howe and Redwings fan growing up but his father dissuaded him so he went to LA.
When the Edmonton Oilers decided to trade Wayne Gretzky in the 1988, his first plan was to engineer a deal with the Detroit Red Wings.
Gretzky told that story on the highly-popular Spittin’ Chiclets Podcast this week.

“It came down to LA, Detroit, New York and Philly,” Gretzky said on the podcast.
“Then soon it came down to Detroit or Los Angeles. LA had Hollywood, young stars Jimmy Carson and Luc Robitaille, and a chance to help sell the game. Detroit had Steve Yzerman and Detroit was less than a three-hour drive from his hometown of Brantford, Ontario. We had sat down and we decided I was going to Detroit. I remember sitting there going, ‘OK, this is great, I’m going to go play in Detroit.’ I grew up a Red Wings fans with Gordie Howe and everything that goes with it,” he said. “And my Dad called me and said, ‘Listen, I’ll give you a little advice. There’s only one Gordie Howe, and Detroit’s Detroit. You don’t need to go there. Why don’t you do something different and go to LA?’

Imagine having Yzerman and Gretzky on the same team. Both players were having monster seasons at that time.

GOD DAMN IT MR. GRETZKY. YOU GAVE YOUR SON GREAT ADVICE BUT IT ROBBED US OF YZERMAN PLAYING WTIH THE GREAT ONE.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
GOD DAMN IT MR. GRETZKY. YOU GAVE YOUR SON GREAT ADVICE BUT IT ROBBED US OF YZERMAN PLAYING WTIH THE GREAT ONE.

Considering Gretzky didn't win a Cup after he left Edmunton and Yzerman went on to play with Lidstrom, the Russian 5, many other greats and win 3 Cups, I wouldn't change how things worked out one bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad