Yzerman end of season press conference

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think he's looking at two or three Europeans as well, as he stated they don't have to have coached in North America.

Fedorov
Ronnberg
Gronborg

>In three years, we get Gallant.

Yzerman is not hiring a coach to be a fall guy and ultimately bring Gallant in.

Gallant is not taking the Rangers job as they exit a rebuild to leave a competitive team to join a Red Wings job as they exit a rebuild.

If things go well, the Gallant ship has sailed, and you can kiss that dream goodbye.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Yzerman is not hiring a coach to be a fall guy and ultimately bring Gallant in.

Gallant is not taking the Rangers job as they exit a rebuild to leave a competitive team to join a Red Wings job as they exit a rebuild.

If things go well, the Gallant ship has sailed, and you can kiss that dream goodbye.
Do you think that the coach we are getting now will be the one we will be competetive in playoffs with?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Funny how in 2012, on this board, you risked getting tarred and feathered for criticizing Babcock's coaching.
Now people are all like "He's human garbage" and that's A-OK.

Bringing back Babcock doesn't make much sense at all, if you ask me.

Guys who I think he's looking at.

Rob Zettler.
Derek Lalonde.
Jeff Halpern
Joel Q
Brad Lambert
Darby Hendrickson
Steve Ott
Paul Maurice
Alex Tanguay
Todd Richards
Kirk Muller
Maybe thats because new information comes to light and influences opinions to change.

We can't all be steadfast in contrarian stances just out of spite.

Reactions: cjm502 and Frk It

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Do you think that the coach we are getting now will be the one we will be competetive in playoffs with?

I think that's the point of changing coaches right now, yes.

Once you crack the playoffs and elevate the expectations level, the leash will get a bit shorter, but I fully expect this next hire to have at minimum the same length of time under Yzerman that Blashill had (3 years) to get the team over the hurdles and into the playoffs. Obviously he could flounder and be canned earlier, but I don't think Yzerman is short sighted enough to hire a bridge coach after letting go a bridge coach.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Idk if anyone has listened to Larks interview but its pretty obvious that if this doesn't change next year he's not going to resign/request a trade.
I don't think that's obvious at all and I don't see what you're seeing after watching the presser.

Also, I think it bodes well for the future that aside from some soreness during training camp Bert's back was a total non issue during the season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
In 2012 we didn’t know about the how he treated his players in Detroit and Toronto. That stuff all came out later.

This came out in 2019: Ex-Red Wing Johan Franzen calls Mike Babcock 'the worst (person) I have ever met'

We didn't know. We didn't have links. But we knew.
It was already well known around Detroit that the players hated Babcock's guts.
We knew in 12-13 that Flippula left Detroit, despite being great friends with so many Red Wings, and would not even consider staying to play if Babcock was the coach.
The media didn't cover it - because the Detroit sports media doesn't have any guts.
But lots of fans knew it. You can't keep that hate covered.
It was wasn't a hard fact - but many of us on these boards knew it was true.

I remember when Commie broke the door down, people shit all over him.
When was that? 2014? 2015?

Some people need safety in numbers to have opinions.
Once the "Babcock is trash" narrative was safe, people followed.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We didn't know. We didn't have links. But we knew.
It was already well known around Detroit that the players hated Babcock's guts.
We knew in 12-13 that Flippula left Detroit, despite being great friends with so many Red Wings, and would not even consider staying to play if Babcock was the coach.
The media didn't cover it - because the Detroit sports media doesn't have any guts.
But lots of fans knew it. You can't keep that hate covered.
It was wasn't a hard fact - but many of us on these boards knew it was true.

I remember when Commie broke the door down, people shit all over him.
When was that? 2014? 2015?
Hearsay and first-hand accounts from players quoted in articles are two very different things.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Idk if anyone has listened to Larks interview but its pretty obvious that if this doesn't change next year he's not going to resign/request a trade.
I didn't get this impression at all. But if it gets to that point then meh. Good luck to him. I honestly don't feel particularly "married" to him as a Red Wing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Consider he is fresh off a long season where they lost a lot of games. Probably wouldn't want to sit there and answer questions either. May not really mean anything.

Reactions: raymond23

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
He said he hopes that he gets an extension done this summer. He did not want to seem complacent so he said "you cant be in this situation forever". I think thats hyperbole not context on wanting out of this situation. He understands he could get traded though or not signed, but he indicated that he wants to stay here and wants an extension.
Post automatically merged:

Bertuzzi:

Larkin:

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
"We need some surprises within our drafts. We can't expect to pick in the top 10 every year."

I wish I knew who Yzerman is talking about because I missed the name but he's saying very good things about him. Anyone catch who?

"He's already powerful. He's already explosive... I don't want to overhype him but we're cautiously optimistic he'll be a good NHLer."

who Stevie?! Who?!
Sounds clear to me. A high pace, high ceiling guy with flashes of elite skill. So no Geekie or Kasper

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
Hearsay and first-hand accounts from players quoted in articles are two very different things.
True, but people are pretty duplicitous when it comes to that. Depending on the issue, it could be : "It's only hearsay. Let's not have a witch hunt." Or, it could be: "Where there's smoke, there's fire." And a lot of times it's the same person, but different issues. We can be very morally flexible when it suits us.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It was well known.
Today, it's accepted as fact.
And besides, most of the "narrative police" around wings boards shit all over Commodore. Isn't that "first person?"
I wasn’t shocked he was a scumbag.

But it added a different level for me when I heard Franzen describe it how he did.

I thought Commy was telling some truth, but even that was a few years after the original time you said IIRC?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I wasn’t shocked he was a scumbag.

But it added a different level for me when I heard Franzen describe it how he did.

I thought Commy was telling some truth, but even that was a few years after the original time you said IIRC?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Commodore isn't what one would call an unbiased source. He blamed Babcock for ruining his career long before he joined Detroit.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
"We need some surprises within our drafts. We can't expect to pick in the top 10 every year."

I wish I knew who Yzerman is talking about because I missed the name but he's saying very good things about him. Anyone catch who?

"He's already powerful. He's already explosive... I don't want to overhype him but we're cautiously optimistic he'll be a good NHLer."

who Stevie?! Who?!
He's talking about Elmer Soderblom.

He's saying that he was already powerful and explosive when he was at training camp two years ago.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Exactly. He wants to start negotiations with them to. Thats when Larkin and Bert can ask if he plans on being more competitive and spending some of that boatload of cap space.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Some here have recommended Torts. He has plenty of detractors as well from players, the media, etc.

Last year alone he has criticized both Connor McDavid and Trevor Zegras so how do you expect a team coached by him to attract those kind of players.

But he is also a future Hall of Famer that has been behind the bench for more wins than any other U.S.-born coach in NHL history, has his name is on the Stanley Cup (2004, Tampa Bay Lightning), and he is a two-time Jack Adams Award winner as coach of the year (2004 Tampa Bay, 2017 Columbus).

Babs actually has better relations with the media, his players and other teams than Torts and he doesn't usually criticize players on other teams like Torts does.

Sure you will find the occasional player who doesn't like how he was treated but you get that from every team when they felt they didn't get the ice time they deserved like Mike Commodore has been telling the whole world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad