Yzerman end of season press conference

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I thought it was starting at 4? When can I stop listening to all these people's opinions I don't care about and hear Stevie talk?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Yzerman re: coaching change: "Fundamentally with and without the puck, we had regressed"

"We can improve in team play and with the players individually."

He was asked (stupidly imo) as to what he's looking for in a coach. Yzerman sort of balked and laughed at the question. Not about listing specifics

HSJ asks where he thinks they're at. Yzerman answers they're at year 3 going to year 4. He would love to be able to say here's the exact plan but he doesn't even know where they're drafting yet.

(this is me very much paraphrasing so people feel free to chime in and correct/contradict what I'm relaying)

"we've struggled defensively. Part of that is personnel" but goes on to talk about inability to play well defensively collectively. That it's been talked about over and over but didn't improve.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Yzerman says he hesitates to even talk about the trade market because he doesn't forsee there being a trade that makes sense for them to make.

Reactions: wings95

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
when asked what changed the last few months versus the first part of the season:

"our record was decent (in the first half)... but our record wasn't good against the top teams. We had a tough time with the elite teams early in the season. So we knew it was going to be a bigger challenge in the second half. that's part of it. Was it that our team wasn't good enough to sustain that level of play throughout the season... maybe a little bit. "

"Fundamentally as a team defensively we need to improve... It wasn't like we didn't address it. We just weren't successful"

Basically sounds like Yzerman is acknowledging how bad the team was defensively. It was something they were trying to fix but couldn't make it happen.

Reactions: wings95

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Yzerman says he should've started by talking about his relationship with Blashill. Says he's a good coach. Did an outstanding job running a team in a very tough situation. commends Blashill answering questions every day to the press with dignity.

"you can't judge Jeff Blashill on the record of the Detroit Red Wings."

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Yzerman says he's not going to pencil Bergren into the lineup but he's also not gonna say he's playing in GR for sure (explains using what happened with Seider as an example).

Says Edvinsson is in consideration to make the roster. "He has a real good chance to play in the NHL next year"

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Yzerman "I don't intend to trade prospects, at least high draft picks, for veteran players"

says he'd only do that for a young player that's going to fit in the timeline of the nucleus of the team. Wants them to be similar in age to core playes, who are 25 and 26.

reiterates that he won't state specific criteria for what he's looking for in a coach. Says he'd rather do it sooner than later but won't be done tomorrow. jokes that he hopes it's done before the first day of training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad