Yzerman 88-89...best season by player (not 99/66/04)?

rallymaster19

It's called getting old. Every one of your examples shows that once past their physical prime, players totals go on the decline.

Let me guess: It's Messier's fault the Canucks have never won a Stanley Cup?

No, these were all your examples, or at least attempts at examples anyway.

The only player you can make a legitimate claim to your theory is Adam Oates. Almost every other statistically great season, a player had good teammates. You stated your theory. Gave one player that follows that theory and are now trying to claim that is the norm. It is not. It is the exception.

If you care to cite legitimate examples then by all means go ahead.

As for Messier, not once did I say the Canucks should have won the cup when he was around. In fact, I have now gone multiple times out of my way to cite despite how great he could have played, they still wouldn't have won the cup.

Ogopogo*

No, these were all your examples, or at least attempts at examples anyway.

The only player you can make a legitimate claim to your theory is Adam Oates. Almost every other statistically great season, a player had good teammates. You stated your theory. Gave one player that follows that theory and are now trying to claim that is the norm. It is not. It is the exception.

If you care to cite legitimate examples then by all means go ahead.

As for Messier, not once did I say the Canucks should have won the cup when he was around. In fact, I have now gone multiple times out of my way to cite despite how great he could have played, they still wouldn't have won the cup.

Are you serious?

1979-80 Wayne Gretzky 137pts, tied for scoring lead best teammate BJ MacDonald 94 points

1980-81 Wayne Gretzky 164 points, broke single season scoring record, best teammate Jari Kurri 75 points

1961-62 Andy Bathgate 84 points, tied for scoring lead, best teammate Dean Prentice 60 points

1962-63 Andy Bathgate 81 points, 2nd in scoring, best teammate Camille Henry 60 points

1974-75 Marcel Dionne 121 points, 3rd in scoring, best teammate Danny Grant 86 points

2005-06 Sidney Crosby 102 points, 6th in scoring, best teammate Sergei Gonchar 58 points

2005-06 Alexander Ovechkin 106 points, 3rd in scoring, best teammate Dainius Zubrus 57 points

Do I really need to go on?

Great players put up big numbers no matter who is on their team or line.

rallymaster19

Are you serious?

1979-80 Wayne Gretzky 137pts, tied for scoring lead best teammate BJ MacDonald 94 points

1980-81 Wayne Gretzky 164 points, broke single season scoring record, best teammate Jari Kurri 75 points

1961-62 Andy Bathgate 84 points, tied for scoring lead, best teammate Dean Prentice 60 points

1962-63 Andy Bathgate 81 points, 2nd in scoring, best teammate Camille Henry 60 points

1974-75 Marcel Dionne 121 points, 3rd in scoring, best teammate Danny Grant 86 points

2005-06 Sidney Crosby 102 points, 6th in scoring, best teammate Sergei Gonchar 58 points

2005-06 Alexander Ovechkin 106 points, 3rd in scoring, best teammate Dainius Zubrus 57 points

Do I really need to go on?

Great players put up big numbers no matter who is on their team or line.

"Great players put up big numbers no matter who is on their team or line."

YES!
But, they put up better numbers playing with talented offensive players. I'm not going to take the time to respond to all your examples.
But 1) Gretzky. Those seasons you address show Gretzky was a phenomenal player that could put up record numbers on his own. Fast forward the following few seasons, and you see a Gretzky that was scoring up to some 30-50% higher when he's playing with prime Kurri and prime Coffey.

Same can be said with all those guys.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Jaromir Jagr has been mentionned a few times in some of these threads. What I see is the mention of his 127 points in 1998-99 and how he led the league in scoring by a margin of 20 points over Selanne who had Karyia on his team finishing 3rd.

That was a great season considering the circumstances of it being dead in the middle of the "Dead Puck" era and the fact that Jagr almost outscored the second leading scorer of the Penguins by almost 50 points.

Most have forgot to mention or just forgot altogether that that wasn't even his best season.

His best season was back in 1995-96 when he scored 149 points, 62 goals and 87 assists. The points and the assists being records for wingers. Some will say that it was because of Lemieux and his effect on Jagr. Well some of it is partly due to Super Mario but I remember that season a lot of people and players alike all felt Jagr was the clear number 2 player of the NHL. Actually what is forgotten is that Jagr played with Lemieux mostly on the powerplay but his regular linemate was Petr Nedved.

Eventhough that season Lemieux outscored Jagr by 11 points despite missing a dozen games or so, it remains that Jagr was second in scoring that year and finished 29 points ahead of Sakic who was third in scoring. Sakic himself had some pretty good help as Forsberg finished 4th in scoring with 118 points not too far behind.

1995-96 was a highscoring season and the last real high soring season that the NHL has seen but it does not compare to the scoring of the 1980's, so really it is plausible to say that Jagr's 149 points in 1996 (regardless if it was aided by Lemieux' production or not) could equal Yzerman's 155 points and even surpass it.

My question is why does Jagr's 149 points in 1996 get overlooked in terms of greatness and yet some do make an argument for his 127 points in 1998-99?
As we discussed earlier. There are a few exceptions to the rule when it comes to teammate scoring. The exceptions are named Lemieux, Gretzky and Orr. 3 guys who proved they could score with anyone and elevate anyone in the league. Even though I address that I believe teammates play a minimal role in other superstar players personal statistics, these 3 players often are the glaring omission to the rule.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=20354795&postcount=3
(This post covered it almost completely)

His 1995-96 year was not as impressive as 98-99 chiefly for 2 reasons.

#1, 95-96 was the last of the high scoring years before the entire NHL decided to powertrap into the dead puck era, complete with no call clutch and grabbing. In 95-96, their was a large crackdown on obstruction and a large rise in penalties(Their last ditch effort before giving up to the Clutch/Grab era), which lead to far more powerplays. Among the largest ever until 05-06. Pittsburgh was the best PP team in the league that year by an exceptionally large margin, and the fact that there was such an unnatural amount of powerplays certainly played into the scoring that year. Especially given that he was centered by one of the greatest PP players of all time. One of the few players I will say could boost anyone's stats.

The effects were obvious. There were twelve 100+ point scorers, eight 50 goal scorers, and thirty five players had over 80 points. You say this year was nowhere near as high scoring as the 80's, yet more players had 100+ points in this season than nearly every year in the 80's.

After the 96 finals, when a weak, starless Florida team copied the previous years Winner, the Devils, and their trapping system, and subsequently took a weak starless team to the finals, every team started trapping.

In 98-99, there was no obstruction crackdown leading to an obscure amount of Powerplays, just about every team in the league had fallen to trapping, and the effects on player scoring was devastating.

Not a single 50 goal scorer in the league, and only three 100+ point scorers. Only thirteen players had over 80 points.

Great players will always put up good numbers despite who they're playing with. However, if they are given the opportunity to play with other players that are also offensively-gifted, then they will find the most success at these times (taking into consideration their age, team needs and coaching strategy).

Almost all the examples you give yourself supports this claim. Of course the Edmonton system had an affect on Gretzky's totals but his best years, where he broke all the records and won all his cups were in Edmonton. It's hard to just dismiss that.
It also happened in the peak of his career, and his numbers in the finals 2 Edmonton years are barely different than his first LA year. I already showed that.

Marcel Dionne was quite consistent during his career, at least in the regular season anyway, so it can be argued that whether he had talent around him or not he put up points. But his best season statistically was with Simmer, probably the best linemate he had in his career. This supports the claim that playing with talent helps increase personal totals.
Dionne improved and went to a team built around him. Obviously his numbers improved too. Linemates? I do not feel they had much to do with it. He was scoring 121-122 points multiple times with nobodies on a team with no visible reliable system. The fact that he scored 130, 135 and 137 once a system was in place around him, is not even a drastic increase. 8-15 points, and most of it can be attributed to that, not linemates. Back to the 5-10 points

By far and away Kurri's best seasons came playing with Wayne Gretzky and playing on the Edmonton Oilers. Kurri's lowest single-season point totals in Edmonton were 75 points in his rookie year and 86 in his sophmore year. After he went went to LA, he would never score more than 87 points or 31 goals in a season again in his career.
This has been gone over. Multiple times. Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr were freaks of Nature who could elevate even the best players numbers.

But in general, superstars scored better when they were the go to guys on their team.
Yzerman, for example, declined once Fedorov arrived.

Jagr's best season, statistically anyway, came playing with Lemiuex.
Only because it came in a year in which Penalties were being called left, right and center, and before the dead puck era. 1998-99 was a better year. I went over this above.

Hawerchuck was 27 when he went to Buffalo, and had already showed signs of decline before leaving, dropping his season point totals two consecutive years and by 40 points in that span.
His personal statistics were not declining at all because of his age. In 1988-89, He was having a terrific offensive season until he broke a few bones in his face in February. He slowed down as a result. He also had a very bad year on the two way side of the game. When Murdoch took over as coach the next year, Hawerchuk was asked to pay more attention in his own end, and he overcompensated. His goals against dropped from 123 to 91, but his goals for also dropped. When he got to Buffalo, he was back to playing his normal game. The biggest difference was icetime being split with other superstars. He still had it offensively.

Bossy still had his best year playing with Trottier. What the 84-85 season proves was that Bossy was a great player. What the 81-82 season proves is that Bossy was at his best when he had strong offensive minded players like Trottier and Potvin. Recchi's already been talked about.
Simplistic view like this do not take into account factors like health, or any other key grooves Bossy just happened to be in the year he had his monster year, which was 2 years removed from the year in question.

The fact of the matter is, Bossy was playing with Trottier in 82-83 when he scored 118 points, Playing with Trottier in 83-84 when He scored 118 points, and 117 points the next year without Bossy, but with 40-60 point man Sutter. Guys like Sutter are chiefly the kind of people who benefit statistically from icetime with superstars, but Bossy was the type who could do it with anyone.
Lemiuex's best overall season I think was his 160 in 60 but his best full season he had nobody linemates scoring 199 points. He did have Coffey with him but Lemiuex's injuries really limited what we could have seen from him. Had he played a full career, I don't think 88-89 would have been his best season.
We can agree on that point.
Oates is probably the exception to this rule though. For the most part, when he had guys like Hull, Neely and Borque, he put up some of his best totals. But his absolute best season came playing with guys you wouldn't have expected to help him get to 142 points. But from what I can tell, Oates is the exception. For every Adam Oates, there is a Brett Hull, a Jari Kurri, a Jarmior Jagr and a Mike Bossy.
Hull ill buy. he was much better if paired with a good set up man. That was his style and his game. Kurri? Kurri showed no visible decline immediately removed from Gretzky to Messier(A guy who averaged 100 less points. If linemates mattered to the degree you said, then Kurri should have had a visible decline with Messier and Carson as opposed to Gretzky)

Jagr scored 102 point with HHOF playmaker Francis as his center the year before he exploded into 127 points with 2nd liners Straka and kip Hrdina. He was thrown into a role where he was needed to be the go to guy offensively with little help, and he exploded. Francis by contrast went to Carolina where they asked him to play a reduced 2nd line role with limited PP time, and his statistics dropped. Until the next year, when he once again was given that icetime and his statistic rebounded, despite his advancing age.

Bossy, as already discussed, could do it with anybody.

How many guys have there actually been whose best seasons came during their peak playing with grossly inferior linemates and teammates? I don't think there have been many, and that is why I rank Yzerman's 88-89 season so high.

Have we not been discussing that?

For what its worth, since the Society for international Hockey research is discussing this, maybe you missed this quote.
For what it's worth.

I attended a SIHR meeting with Jimmy Devellano as the guest speaker last night.

He told the assembled members that he doesn't put much stock in Yzerman's big point year's. He used the term inflated. He stated that the main goal of the team then was selling tickets and that Yzerman was encouraged to put up big numbers to garner attention and to not worry about backchecking.

In time that changed, but according to Devellano, Yzerman did not become a complete player until Bowman arrived, and that even then it was a tough, and somewhat acrimonius process.

Seems other credible witnesses who watched Hockey during that period have similar opinions to my own.

rallymaster19

It also happened in the peak of his career, and his numbers in the finals 2 Edmonton years are barely different than his first LA year. I already showed that.

Yet his unquestioned best seasons came in Edmonton playing on stacked teams.

Dionne improved and went to a team built around him. Obviously his numbers improved too. Linemates? I do not feel they had much to do with it. He was scoring 121-122 points multiple times with nobodies on a team with no visible reliable system. The fact that he scored 130, 135 and 137 once a system was in place around him, is not even a drastic increase. 8-15 points, and most of it can be attributed to that, not linemates. Back to the 5-10 points

With Dionne, you can certainly make the 5-10 or 10-15 claim on your theory. When you use the 10-15 point claim, Dionne may actually follow your theory. Yet his best season still came playing with the best talent the organization gave him to play around.

This has been gone over. Multiple times. Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr were freaks of Nature who could elevate even the best players numbers.

I'm not the one constantly bringing these names up. In fact, I thought the thread title was pretty self-explanatory itself. Apparently not.

But in general, superstars scored better when they were the go to guys on their team.
Yzerman, for example, declined once Fedorov arrived.

As his offense went down though, his defense improved. Yzerman changed his game significantly to give his team the best chance to win games considering the Wings now had other guys who could put the puck in the net too. If Steve Yzerman didn't play an improved defensive game and continued to focus primarily on offense and his numbers declined signifcantly with better talent around him, then your theory may gain credibility. On a side note, Fedorov may not be the best example here anyway, since he played on a different line.

Only because it came in a year in which Penalties were being called left, right and center, and before the dead puck era. 1998-99 was a better year. I went over this above.

If you really think Lemiuex didn't have a large influence on Jagr registering his best season statistically by far, then I don't think there's anything I can say that will change your opinion on the matter, so I'll leave it.

His personal statistics were not declining at all because of his age. In 1988-89, He was having a terrific offensive season until he broke a few bones in his face in February. He slowed down as a result. He also had a very bad year on the two way side of the game. When Murdoch took over as coach the next year, Hawerchuk was asked to pay more attention in his own end, and he overcompensated. His goals against dropped from 123 to 91, but his goals for also dropped. When he got to Buffalo, he was back to playing his normal game. The biggest difference was icetime being split with other superstars. He still had it offensively.

Simplistic view like this do not take into account factors like health, or any other key grooves Bossy just happened to be in the year he had his monster year, which was 2 years removed from the year in question.

The fact of the matter is, Bossy was playing with Trottier in 82-83 when he scored 118 points, Playing with Trottier in 83-84 when He scored 118 points, and 117 points the next year without Bossy, but with 40-60 point man Sutter. Guys like Sutter are chiefly the kind of people who benefit statistically from icetime with superstars, but Bossy was the type who could do it with anyone.

Hull ill buy. he was much better if paired with a good set up man. That was his style and his game. Kurri? Kurri showed no visible decline immediately removed from Gretzky to Messier(A guy who averaged 100 less points. If linemates mattered to the degree you said, then Kurri should have had a visible decline with Messier and Carson as opposed to Gretzky)

For everybody that doesn't follow your theory, you're just making excuses. He was getting old.. Well he was injured that season... He was in the groove that year so it shouldn't count... He had to share icetime with other players...
Maybe the problem isn't with each of these players' unique situations. If you keep having to make exceptions left and right, did you ever think maybe the problem is your theory and not the players?

For all the best single-season offensive performances, I made the claim that the specific player had great offensive minded linemates or teammates that helped him put up such high numbers. The best offensive seasons ever statistically (not incl. 99/66/4):

1) Yzerman 88-89- 155 pts
2) Espisito 70-71 - 152 pts (had the best statistical season by a defenseman Orr with 139 points himself)
3) Nicholls 88-89- 150 pts (had Gretzky, Robittaile)
4) Jagr 95-96- 149 pts (had Lemiuex)
5) LaFontaine 92-93- 148 pts (had Mogilny's 76 goals)
6) Bossy 81-82- 147 pts (had Trottier, Tonelli, Potvin)
7) Espisito 73-74- 145 pts (had Orr's 122 points)
8) Oates 92-93- 142 pts (had Borque but this may be an exception to the rule)
9) Stastny 81-82- 139 pts (had Cloutier and Goulet)
10) Coffey 85-86- 138 pts (had Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Anderson etc.)

In the 10 best statistical seasons (not incl. 99/66/4), the only real cases you can make for players putting up monster numbers despite a lack of talent around them are Yzerman and Oates. But even Adam Oates had a HOF and the highest-scoring defenseman of all-time on his team.

But when comparing Oates 92-93 and Yzerman 88-89, Yzerman was still the much better goal-scorer. Now I personally don't value goals as significantly higher than assists as some guys, but I do think 1 goal is worth more than an assist when comparing these two guys. Also, when discussing the best seasons all-time, Oates rarely gets mentioned because he lacked the full game that other guys brought. His goal-scorer abilities were weaker, but so were his checking abilities, and he just didn't bring the same fizzle that other superstars had.

But back to the topic of the thread, Steve Yzerman didn't have the help from great teammates that all the other guys with top offensive seasons had. He didn't have Orr, Gretzky, Lemiuex, Trottier, Borque or Kurri. He had Gallant, MacLean and Chaisson. Yet he still managed to put the best statistical season by a player other than Gretzky or Lemiuex. To me, coupled with the versatility he showed that year, is what makes me believe that was the best season by a player (not incl. 99/66/4) since 1980, and very well possibly post-expansion.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Yet his unquestioned best seasons came in Edmonton playing on stacked teams.
I have no doubt he would have equaled those years with any linemates. Particularly given his 92 goal, 212 point year, he played with a 32 goal, 86 point Kurri(who was still adjusting to NHL) and a 38 point Hunter(Or sometimes Semenko). You are focusing so much on only their best season that you are missing the point. Gretzky might have scored 215 when they were all in their primes, but he still was scoring 212 when they were in their infancy, before they were 100+ point players.

With Dionne, you can certainly make the 5-10 or 10-15 claim on your theory. When you use the 10-15 point claim, Dionne may actually follow your theory. Yet his best season still came playing with the best talent the organization gave him to play around.
His best season also came after he had matured as a player and had a team built specifically around him. It was not "All" his linemates, and even if you credit the linemates with half the increase, it falls into the 5-10 point range.

As his offense went down though, his defense improved. Yzerman changed his game significantly to give his team the best chance to win games considering the Wings now had other guys who could put the puck in the net too. If Steve Yzerman didn't play an improved defensive game and continued to focus primarily on offense and his numbers declined signifcantly with better talent around him, then your theory may gain credibility. On a side note, Fedorov may not be the best example here anyway, since he played on a different line.
Oh, so now you are going this route? After making the comments earlier that his change defensively between the 80's and 90's was minimal? The great changes in Yzerman's defensive game started in the mid 90's. Him and Fedorov might not have played on the same line, but they played on the PP, and the fact that they had another center who could be counter on for offense meant they did not need to overice Yzerman constantly, which leads to less points, but also less fatigue by the end of game + Less mistakes.

If you really think Lemiuex didn't have a large influence on Jagr registering his best season statistically by far, then I don't think there's anything I can say that will change your opinion on the matter, so I'll leave it.
I do think Lemieux had an influence on Jagr's numbers. Clearly you missed the part where I said guys like Lemieux, Orr and Gretzky are exceptions to the rule. But the increased PP's that season had a ton to do with his total as well.

My point was, Jagr's best season ever was 98-99, not 95-96. It was harder to score 127 in 98-99 than 149 in 95-96 with the league crackdown and plethora of powerplays + still wide open offensive hockey instead of every team playing the trap.

For everybody that doesn't follow your theory, you're just making excuses. He was getting old.. Well he was injured that season... He was in the groove that year so it shouldn't count... He had to share icetime with other players...
Maybe the problem isn't with each of these players' unique situations. If you keep having to make exceptions left and right, did you ever think maybe the problem is your theory and not the players?

Or maybe you are just making excuses. All you keep doing is making me repeat the same things over and over. Every player situation is different, and the variables must be taken into account. The prime thing I have found watching all these players over the years and looking at the data is that the best players scored big no matter who was with them, and that they often did better if they were the go to guys on their team, rather than splitting duties with other great players.

For all the best single-season offensive performances, I made the claim that the specific player had great offensive minded linemates or teammates that helped him put up such high numbers. The best offensive seasons ever statistically (not incl. 99/66/4):
These are not the best single season performances. Merely the highest numbers from the highest offensive era's.

1) Yzerman 88-89- 155 pts
Threw defense to the wind that year and the entire team was told to feed him the puck to sell tickets(Says some of the conversations from the SIHR. I think it is a bit exaggerated, but pretty close to accurate) . Had Adam Oates on the PP, and Gerard Gallant happened to have his career year that year before injuries slowed him down(He was actually a very good player). People like to pretend he was a bum leech just to give props to Yzerman, but Coaches praised his play and commented that if he could have stayed out of the box and not buggered his back up, he would have been even more.

2) Espisito 70-71 - 152 pts (had the best statistical season by a defenseman Orr with 139 points himself)
Certainly, but as previously stated, Orr, Lemieux, Gretzky are exceptions to this rule.

Esposito still scored 126 before Orr had broken out

3) Nicholls 88-89- 150 pts (had Gretzky, Robittaile)
See above

4) Jagr 95-96- 149 pts (had Lemiuex)
See above

5) LaFontaine 92-93- 148 pts (had Mogilny's 76 goals)
Certainly. A few cases will show

6) Bossy 81-82- 147 pts (had Trottier, Tonelli, Potvin)
And Bossy proved a few years later than he could score the same amount he did with Trottier for the past 2 years with a 40 point scorer. There you go.

7) Espisito 73-74- 145 pts (had Orr's 122 points)
this is becoming a Broken record.

8) Oates 92-93- 142 pts (had Borque but this may be an exception to the rule)
Notice how Bourque's stats did not skyrocket with Oates? They remained constant and consistent. In either case, oates was playing with 2 Rookie nobodies.

9) Stastny 81-82- 139 pts (had Cloutier and Goulet)
Untrue. Under Michel Bergeron, Even on the powerplay, the Stastny brothers were kept as a single unit, while Goulet/Cloutier were with Hunter. You are just looking at numbers and making completely incorrect assumptions.

10) Coffey 85-86- 138 pts (had Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Anderson etc.)
Gretzky is the only name that mattered there.

In the 10 best statistical seasons (not incl. 99/66/4), the only real cases you can make for players putting up monster numbers despite a lack of talent around them are Yzerman and Oates. But even Adam Oates had a HOF and the highest-scoring defenseman of all-time on his team.

But when comparing Oates 92-93 and Yzerman 88-89, Yzerman was still the much better goal-scorer. Now I personally don't value goals as significantly higher than assists as some guys, but I do think 1 goal is worth more than an assist when comparing these two guys. Also, when discussing the best seasons all-time, Oates rarely gets mentioned because he lacked the full game that other guys brought. His goal-scorer abilities were weaker, but so were his checking abilities, and he just didn't bring the same fizzle that other superstars had.

But back to the topic of the thread, Steve Yzerman didn't have the help from great teammates that all the other guys with top offensive seasons had. He didn't have Orr, Gretzky, Lemiuex, Trottier, Borque or Kurri. He had Gallant, MacLean and Chaisson. Yet he still managed to put the best statistical season by a player other than Gretzky or Lemiuex. To me, coupled with the versatility he showed that year, is what makes me believe that was the best season by a player (not incl. 99/66/4) since 1980, and very well possibly post-expansion.

This is becoming a broken record. I am sick and tired of merely repeating everything over and over.

The fact of the matter here is, we are not going to agree. I am a huge Yzerman fan, and I loved his game, but I look at him objectively and Messier(Whom I disliked due to dirty play), and I just do not see what you are seeing.

By Contrast, you created an account specifically to defend Yzerman, and of your 52 posts, 51 of them are nothing but Yzerman praise. Were you an impartial fan, then I love debating, but It is impossible for me to think debating with you will be viewed objectively when it is clear to me you adore Yzerman above and beyond what an objective poster could.

19Yzerman19

Jul 17, 2004
Look, you have to realize that you have zero perspective.

First of all, the title is -- if I get it right -- that Yzerman had the best season for a player not wearing 99/66/04.

The NHL is a almost 90 year old league -- to say that only 4 players have had better years then a player who one year was 3rd overall in goals, 3rd overall in assists and 3rd overall in pts; while loosing in the 1st round in the PO's; while not beeing named MVP or anything like it (Conn Smyth) -- is not really realistic.

The claim is only based on the fact that Yzerman scored 155pts. You also seem to forget that almost 25-33% more goals were scored in the NHL at that time compared to today for exampel. So its hardly like he had a extremely unique year either in terms of pts.

Again, you are comming across like people aren't respecting Yzerman and what not -- but without anydoubt, there is more then 4 guys in this league who have had better seasons then him, its probably more like 100 guys who have had better seasons then his 88/89 season. The PO's got to count pretty heavily in that aspect. In some cases like up to 50% -- and Y got sent out in the first round.

Seriously, this have nothing to do with people not respecting Yzerman -- its more about you guys comming across as having zero perspective. Almost 90 year old this league is.

He was only voted best player in the league that year by his peers, but I guess that doesn't account for anything in your eyes.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It is worth noting that ever 199+ point seaosn ever Coffey contributed to. Mario had the seaosn he missed games and was on a more thsan 200 point pace without Coffey.

But I think this belongs in the debate about whether teammates influence point totals... I am of the mind that point totals do not deviate that much regardless of teammates.. also I agree that 99,66 and 4 are abnormalities and change the normal rules.. however I think Coffey needs to get some credit for actually inflating Mario and Gretzky's point totals in their prime. Surely Mario and Gretzky amplified Coffey's point totals but he also amplified theirs.

I think many that criticize Coffey so massively on his defence did not see him play. Coffey was a unique and amazing player... a freaking awesome hockey player. He was not Bourque and he was not as strong defensively as other top D-Men but that was not his role.

I guess what pisses me off about how Coffey is treated in history is that he gets treated as a player that lacked something... that his defence took away from his greatness. He was so great that if we look at his career it is not at all what is lacking we should look at but what he brought to the game. He was a freaking force on the ice... he dominated games... to a greater extent than everyone but Mario and Gretzky at his best in that time.

rallymaster19

I have no doubt he would have equaled those years with any linemates. Particularly given his 92 goal, 212 point year, he played with a 32 goal, 86 point Kurri(who was still adjusting to NHL) and a 38 point Hunter(Or sometimes Semenko). You are focusing so much on only their best season that you are missing the point. Gretzky might have scored 215 when they were all in their primes, but he still was scoring 212 when they were in their infancy, before they were 100+ point players.

His best season also came after he had matured as a player and had a team built specifically around him. It was not "All" his linemates, and even if you credit the linemates with half the increase, it falls into the 5-10 point range.

Oh, so now you are going this route? After making the comments earlier that his change defensively between the 80's and 90's was minimal? The great changes in Yzerman's defensive game started in the mid 90's. Him and Fedorov might not have played on the same line, but they played on the PP, and the fact that they had another center who could be counter on for offense meant they did not need to overice Yzerman constantly, which leads to less points, but also less fatigue by the end of game + Less mistakes.

I do think Lemieux had an influence on Jagr's numbers. Clearly you missed the part where I said guys like Lemieux, Orr and Gretzky are exceptions to the rule. But the increased PP's that season had a ton to do with his total as well.

My point was, Jagr's best season ever was 98-99, not 95-96. It was harder to score 127 in 98-99 than 149 in 95-96 with the league crackdown and plethora of powerplays + still wide open offensive hockey instead of every team playing the trap.

I don't get you. You keep saying Gretzky, Lemiuex and Orr shouldn't be included (and rightfully so), yet you keep bringing in their names every chance you get. I already commented on Dionne. Jagr's best season is debatable. Personally, I don't think Jagr 98-99 ranks that high all-time. When analyzing Jagr as a player though, the dip his totals took when Lemiuex retired both times, and the sharp increase he had when Lemiuex came back in 2001 tell the tale of a guy that really benefited from Magnificent Mario. Again, it's certainly not a consensus 98-99 was Jagr's best season.

As to Yzerman, I never once said his defensive change was "minimal" from the 80s to 90s. I think he had a good defensive game when he was lighting up the lamp, especially compared to other all-star forwards at the time. But by the 90s, Yzerman had become a Selke winner. There's no question his defensive game improved significantly. The point I made was that people were trying to inaccurately attribute a weak defensive game to Yzerman during his best offensive seasons and that was untrue. His defensive capabilities were already above-average for forwards at the time, but he improved to elite about 10 years later.

Or maybe you are just making excuses. All you keep doing is making me repeat the same things over and over. Every player situation is different, and the variables must be taken into account. The prime thing I have found watching all these players over the years and looking at the data is that the best players scored big no matter who was with them, and that they often did better if they were the go to guys on their team, rather than splitting duties with other great players.

I haven't made any excuses. I haven't blamed age, injuries, special years etc. like you have. If a player was unique in his performance, I readily noted it (e.g. Oates, Dionne to a lesser degree). You on the other hand are trying to force feed your ill-advised theory that has more exclusions than inclusions. You resort to claiming guys that are in their early 20s and have played 4 seasons in the NHL (e.g. Ovechkin, Crosby) as following your theory because they played on subpar teams at times in their young careers. When you start throwing in players that have yet to play even half a career to support your cause, you lose credibility; and lose it fast.

Threw defense to the wind that year and the entire team was told to feed him the puck to sell tickets(Says some of the conversations from the SIHR. I think it is a bit exaggerated, but pretty close to accurate) . Had Adam Oates on the PP, and Gerard Gallant happened to have his career year that year before injuries slowed him down(He was actually a very good player). People like to pretend he was a bum leech just to give props to Yzerman, but Coaches praised his play and commented that if he could have stayed out of the box and not buggered his back up, he would have been even more.

I am not convinced you actually watched this season. He played better defense than most other all-star forwards at the time. He played PP, PK and anything asked of him. You are right that Gallant had a career year that season. He was a second team all-star. You know why? Steve Yzerman. Best season he played without Yzerman centering his line, he scored 39 points. I'm not saying he was a bad player. He probably would have made a very good second line winger. But there's no way this guy was going to be a second team all-star without Yzerman.

Certainly, but as previously stated, Orr, Lemieux, Gretzky are exceptions to this rule.

Esposito still scored 126 before Orr had broken out

See above

See above

Certainly. A few cases will show

And Bossy proved a few years later than he could score the same amount he did with Trottier for the past 2 years with a 40 point scorer. There you go.

this is becoming a Broken record.

Notice how Bourque's stats did not skyrocket with Oates? They remained constant and consistent. In either case, oates was playing with 2 Rookie nobodies.

Untrue. Under Michel Bergeron, Even on the powerplay, the Stastny brothers were kept as a single unit, while Goulet/Cloutier were with Hunter. You are just looking at numbers and making completely incorrect assumptions.

Gretzky is the only name that mattered there.

Conveniently there is an excuse for everyone. I don't think 99/66/4 should be included when assessing the best seasons all-time because they were so far ahead of everyone else. And as a result of their abilities, some players who had exceptional seasons while playing with them, we can immediately remove from this list as well. Nicholls for example, doesn't belong on that list.

But how do you remove a guy like Espisito instantly because he happened to play with Orr. He set a then-record 76 goals that season. We cannot accurately quantify how much of that was attributed to Orr. I don't think we should just dismiss Espisito's seasons and Coffey's just because they played with the game's best. I really believe they still would have put up exceptional numbers without them (although obviously not to the extent with them).

I've already commented on the other guys and to not have to hear you say "broken record" again, I'll go no further.

But to Paul Coffey's totals, "Gretzky is the only name that mattered there?" Really? You don't think him and Kurri fed off each other? Messier did nothing? Anderson just stood around? No credible person is going to say the only guy that influenced Coffey's totals in Edmonton was Wayne Gretzky.

But back to the list, if you take out the seasons where players had 99/66/4 on their teams, you are left with only Yzerman 89, LaFontaine 93, Oates 93 and Stanstny 82. Well then, Steve Yzerman's 88-89 season looks all that more impressive now. Especially since when discussing the best seasons of all-time LaFontaine, Oates and Stanstny rarely enter the conversion. So even in a new light, looking at things, Yzerman sticks out even further.

The fact of the matter here is, we are not going to agree. I am a huge Yzerman fan, and I loved his game, but I look at him objectively and Messier(Whom I disliked due to dirty play), and I just do not see what you are seeing.

By Contrast, you created an account specifically to defend Yzerman, and of your 52 posts, 51 of them are nothing but Yzerman praise. Were you an impartial fan, then I love debating, but It is impossible for me to think debating with you will be viewed objectively when it is clear to me you adore Yzerman above and beyond what an objective poster could.

The fact that you specifically looked up my 52 posts to make your claim about my objectivity, or lack thereof, says enough about your objectivity. I am a huge hockey fan and a huge Steve Yzerman fan. I grew up idolizing him, and I still do today. Above all his on-ice accomplishments, his class, leadership and quiet superstar demeanor is something you rarely see these days, especially in pro sports. He never wanted personal accolades and personal praise, even at a young age but when he did hear it, he would feel embarrassed. The team success that he saw later in his career couldn't have gone to a better guy or nicer guy, bar none.

However, when assessing his career, I look at him completely objectively. I've given praise when he deserves it (88-89, 2002 playoffs etc.), and I've also mentioned his faults (losing the matchup to Gilmour in 93, playoff failure in early 90s etc.). Yzerman being a nice guy doesn't go into the equation when assessing his value. Just like Messier or Clarke being a classless piece of garbage on the ice at times doesn't influence how I rank their worth either. Yes, I started an account specifically to debate an Yzerman-based thread but I have been watching the game for decades and loitering these boards for years. 51 of my 52 posts have been about Yzerman? Well that only shows that I am most interested in the player I grew up idolizing. A lot of guys talk about Ovechkin here. I don't care for him personally and therefore don't find it worth my time to post on a thread about him. It's all about objectivity, and I have been objective in all my claims. If I haven't, by all means call me out on it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He was only voted best player in the league that year by his peers, but I guess that doesn't account for anything in your eyes.

Well to be fair he was not voted as the best player in the league that year by his peers.

He was voted as the best player in the regular season by his peers -- and nobody said this discussion was only about regluar season untill after I had made that post.

One season litterary is from the time the puck is dropped and untill a player is eliminated or have won the cup. I've never heard someone say like "we had a great season and after that a great PO's". Any player would have thrown in a "regular" before "season" in that sentance.

The title does not say regular season only.

So I made that post in response to what i thought was a claim that reg. season and PO's included -- Yzerman's exist in the 1st round was still one of the most impressive ever. Which I thought was ridiculos. And I think you agree with that.

Anyway as have already been proven 155 pts is hardly unique when you look at the actual scoring, a bunch of players have scored more then that. Scoring at the higest point of the 80's were up more then 50% compared to the lowest point of the 00's. After that was proven most people left this thread after the subject was already decided and the only one left seems to be Yzerman's fanclub who try to bury thoose facts with the same arguments made time after time after time again. Like nobody good every played in the league during the 90's and 00', for two decades everyone sucked just look at the stats et c. bla bla bla.

Last edited:

19Yzerman19

Jul 17, 2004
Well to be fair he was not voted as the best player in the league that year by his peers.

He was voted as the best player in the regular season by his peers -- and nobody said this discussion was only about regluar season untill after I had made that post.

One season litterary is from the time the puck is dropped and untill a player is eliminated or have won the cup. I've never heard someone say like "we had a great season and after that a great PO's". Any player would have thrown in a "regular" before "season" in that sentance.

The title does not say regular season only.

So I made that post in response to what i thought was a claim that reg. season and PO's included -- Yzerman's exist in the 1st round was still one of the most impressive ever. Which I thought was ridiculos. And I think you agree with that.

Anyway as have already been proven 155 pts is hardly unique when you look at the actual scoring, a bunch of players have scored more then that. Scoring at the higest point of the 80's were up more then 50% compared to the lowest point of the 00's. After that was proven most people left this thread after the subject was already decided and the only one left seems to be Yzerman's fanclub who try to bury thoose facts with the same arguments made time after time after time again. Like nobody good every played in the league during the 90's and 00', for two decades everyone sucked just look at the stats et c. bla bla bla.

Yes he was voted best player in the league by his peers for that season whether it be regular only or playoffs included he was voted the best player in the best hockey league in the world by his peers!

Here are the top 15 NHL point seasons all-time:

1. Wayne Gretzky* 215 1985-86
2. Wayne Gretzky* 212 1981-82
3. Wayne Gretzky* 208 1984-85
4. Wayne Gretzky* 205 1983-84
5. Mario Lemieux* 199 1988-89
6. Wayne Gretzky* 196 1982-83
7. Wayne Gretzky* 183 1986-87
8. Mario Lemieux* 168 1987-88
Wayne Gretzky* 168 1988-89
10. Wayne Gretzky* 164 1980-81
11. Wayne Gretzky* 163 1990-91
12. Mario Lemieux* 161 1995-96
13. Mario Lemieux* 160 1992-93
14. Steve Yzerman 155 1988-89
15. Phil Esposito* 152 1970-71

Not 1 player in history has scored more than Yzerman did that season not named Gretzky or Lemieux! So much for it not being a unquie standard. Sure scoring might have been/was easier in the 80's BUT I still didn't see anyone else put up those numbers besides the two.

You can ramble on about Yzerman fanclub blah blah your obviously a hater no matter what you type to the contrary!

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I don't get you. You keep saying Gretzky, Lemiuex and Orr shouldn't be included (and rightfully so), yet you keep bringing in their names every chance you get. I already commented on Dionne.
You keep bringing up guys whom Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr had big seasons with. The point in mentioning those 3 players is that they are anomalies who can indeed elevate anyone's numbers. Even established superstars. Their linemates fall outside the 5-10 point criteria of mine because they were freaks of nature.

And I also already commented on Dionne. He was scoring huge with bums and, his slight increase in LA's middle years was more due to system of play and growing as a player than linemates. That is how I see it.

Jagr's best season is debatable. Personally, I don't think Jagr 98-99 ranks that high all-time. When analyzing Jagr as a player though, the dip his totals took when Lemiuex retired both times, and the sharp increase he had when Lemiuex came back in 2001 tell the tale of a guy that really benefited from Magnificent Mario. Again, it's certainly not a consensus 98-99 was Jagr's best season.
Of course his totals dipped a bit without Mario. Lemieux does not apply to that rule, as I have said a million times. But Jagr still won 4 Art Ross trophies without Mario. Obviously he was a scoring machine with or without him.

However, one would expect that Ron Francis, one of the greatest playmakers of all time, would also have a large effect on Jagr's numbers if we assumed linemates mattered as much as you think no?

The season after Francis left for Carolina, Jagr was iced more, and expected to be the man. The sole man. Thrown into a line with stalwarts like Hrdina and Titov and Straka and he exploded offensively. 127 points in the middle of the all trap clutch and grab NHL was phenomenal, and yes, most people I have talked to think it is his crowning year.

When Mario Came back in 2001 was obviously beneficial to Jagr's numbers. I myself have made that point recently while arguing Sakic lost a Ross to it. But Jagr scored 121 points with Mario, and 127 just 2 years prior with no help whatsoever. The biggest reason Mario had such an impact on Jagr's numbers that year was because Jagr was dogging it for the first half of the year. Jagr was upset with the team and playing half assed Hockey. Mario's return re-energized him. Once he went to the capitals, he began sulking again and half-effort performances were what Jagr does. A question to his character certainly.

As to Yzerman, I never once said his defensive change was "minimal" from the 80s to 90s. I think he had a good defensive game when he was lighting up the lamp, especially compared to other all-star forwards at the time. But by the 90s, Yzerman had become a Selke winner. There's no question his defensive game improved significantly. The point I made was that people were trying to inaccurately attribute a weak defensive game to Yzerman during his best offensive seasons and that was untrue. His defensive capabilities were already above-average for forwards at the time, but he improved to elite about 10 years later.

Whatever you say. This is a broken record. I am sick of repeating myself. This argument is stale and old.

I haven't made any excuses. I haven't blamed age, injuries, special years etc. like you have. If a player was unique in his performance, I readily noted it (e.g. Oates, Dionne to a lesser degree). You on the other hand are trying to force feed your ill-advised theory that has more exclusions than inclusions. You resort to claiming guys that are in their early 20s and have played 4 seasons in the NHL (e.g. Ovechkin, Crosby) as following your theory because they played on subpar teams at times in their young careers. When you start throwing in players that have yet to play even half a career to support your cause, you lose credibility; and lose it fast.
The only thing without Credibility here is your objectivity.

I am not convinced you actually watched this season. He played better defense than most other all-star forwards at the time. He played PP, PK and anything asked of him.
So did Gretzky and Lemieux. Great players play in all situations. I personally do not think he played great defense, or even good defense. I saw average defense. A guy who would try to dipsy doodle past attacking forwards instead of making the safe chip out pass. A guy who did not block shots frequently. A guy who often tried to thread the needle with very dangerous passes which often lead to turnovers. And yes, a guy who thought offensively while on the PK.

Could he play well defensively? Yes. Did he usually? No. he usually thought offense offense offense.

I have mentioned this on many occasions when I praise him for his incredible transformation into a Two way player. He made the change it took to win.

The fact that Historians from the Society for International Hockey research are giving speeches saying the same thing(CanadiansFan put the quote up) only reinforces in my mind what I saw with my own two eyes.

You are right that Gallant had a career year that season. He was a second team all-star. You know why? Steve Yzerman. Best season he played without Yzerman centering his line, he scored 39 points. I'm not saying he was a bad player. He probably would have made a very good second line winger. But there's no way this guy was going to be a second team all-star without Yzerman.
No, Gallant was a great player with or without Yzerman. Injuries and penalty trouble ruined what might have been, but he was not merely a product of Yzerman. Yzerman was a big part of why Gallant was successful, but Yzerman also benefitted from Gallant's gritty style. Beng the guy who would go into the corners and dig the puck out for him and wreck havoc in front of the net. He also protected Yzerman more than even Probert.

Conveniently there is an excuse for everyone. I don't think 99/66/4 should be included when assessing the best seasons all-time because they were so far ahead of everyone else. And as a result of their abilities, some players who had exceptional seasons while playing with them, we can immediately remove from this list as well. Nicholls for example, doesn't belong on that list.

But how do you remove a guy like Espisito instantly because he happened to play with Orr. He set a then-record 76 goals that season. We cannot accurately quantify how much of that was attributed to Orr. I don't think we should just dismiss Espisito's seasons and Coffey's just because they played with the game's best. I really believe they still would have put up exceptional numbers without them (although obviously not to the extent with them).

I've already commented on the other guys and to not have to hear you say "broken record" again, I'll go no further.
zzzzzzzzzz

But to Paul Coffey's totals, "Gretzky is the only name that mattered there?" Really? You don't think him and Kurri fed off each other? Messier did nothing? Anderson just stood around? No credible person is going to say the only guy that influenced Coffey's totals in Edmonton was Wayne Gretzky.
I suppose his 113 in 1989, while on pace for 121 was a fluke too. Seemed like having only Lemieux and a different team system was not all that detrimental to his numbers.

Or when he lead the Red wings in scoring in 94-95, etc

You like to point at only his peak year, when everything went right for him and nobody could stop him, and attribute it all to his linemates. Feel free. Ill stay out of it.
But back to the list, if you take out the seasons where players had 99/66/4 on their teams, you are left with only Yzerman 89, LaFontaine 93, Oates 93 and Stanstny 82. Well then, Steve Yzerman's 88-89 season looks all that more impressive now. Especially since when discussing the best seasons of all-time LaFontaine, Oates and Stanstny rarely enter the conversion. So even in a new light, looking at things, Yzerman sticks out even further.
Because you are looking only at high scoring 80's years and high totals, when in fact there are several other players with seasons, if adjusted to the 80's scoring lvel, who look just as good, if not better.

- Gordie Howe's 95 point year in 52-53. It was up there on the Lemieux/Gretzky level offensively, and Howe was also a very good two way player. Physical and feared. Howe in the 50's had several season like this, but this was the best of them.

- Howie Morenz 1927-28 year. One of the best defensive forwards in the league, with outstanding dominating offense on top of it.

-Bobby Hull has multiple years in which he dominated the goal scoring by huge margins. Most notably his 65-66 season. Was a good two way player as well. Mikita has a or two season that is comparable as well.

-Those who favor the "More parity in the league today making it difficult to stand out" arguments will defend Jagr's 127 point 1998-99 season. I am not one of those.

-Sakic's Hart year stands comparatively close. Was runner up for the Selke and if not for Lemieux's return, Jagr likely does not close that point gap.

Etc

There are a several more, but the original question has been answered. If I pulled out Defensemen and goaltenders there would be a larger list.

The fact that you specifically looked up my 52 posts to make your claim about my objectivity, or lack thereof, says enough about your objectivity.
I didn't Need to look them up. Since joining this section(At the time I made that comment), you have made a total of one post outside of these two Yzerman threads.

I read every thread, and respond to almost every thread. I love all Hockey, from all era's, and I want to take part in all sorts of different conversations about it.

You made an account admittedly to specifically come in and do nothing but Defend and give props to Yzerman, and that is all you have done. Its clear what your agenda is, and it is not an objective one interested in all different Hockey conversations. Its been over 2 weeks since you made your account and you have not shown an interest in anything in this section but trying to put Yzerman on a pedestal.

I am a huge hockey fan and a huge Steve Yzerman fan. I grew up idolizing him, and I still do today. Above all his on-ice accomplishments, his class, leadership and quiet superstar demeanor is something you rarely see these days, especially in pro sports. He never wanted personal accolades and personal praise, even at a young age but when he did hear it, he would feel embarrassed. The team success that he saw later in his career couldn't have gone to a better guy or nicer guy, bar none.

However, when assessing his career, I look at him completely objectively. I've given praise when he deserves it (88-89, 2002 playoffs etc.), and I've also mentioned his faults (losing the matchup to Gilmour in 93, playoff failure in early 90s etc.). Yzerman being a nice guy doesn't go into the equation when assessing his value. Just like Messier or Clarke being a classless piece of garbage on the ice at times doesn't influence how I rank their worth either. Yes, I started an account specifically to debate an Yzerman-based thread but I have been watching the game for decades and loitering these boards for years. 51 of my 52 posts have been about Yzerman? Well that only shows that I am most interested in the player I grew up idolizing. A lot of guys talk about Ovechkin here. I don't care for him personally and therefore don't find it worth my time to post on a thread about him. It's all about objectivity, and I have been objective in all my claims. If I haven't, by all means call me out on it.

Uh huh.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008

I am not convinced you actually watched this season. He played better defense than most other all-star forwards at the time. He played PP, PK and anything asked of him.

For what it's worth you're beliefs about Yzerman's game are not shared by Jim Devellano who was the general manager of the Red Wings at the time. Not to offend your credentials but there is no bigger supporter of Yzerman than Devellano who did watch every game Yzerman ever played with Detroit, in addition to a large number of his junior games in Peterborough.

At our SIHR meeting, Devellano admitted that Yzerman was not what you would call a 200 foot player. He admitted openly that Yzerman was lacking in defensive skills and effort. In part, this was due to the nature of the team and the situation. As I pointed out before the Red Wings were not the successful franchise of today. Yzerman, was encouraged to focus exclusively on his offense as scoring and not tight checking sells tickets.

When asked by the assembled crowd why Mike Keenan cut Yzerman from both the 1987 and 1991 Canada Cup team's Devellano openly said it was because he was not a 200 foot player. For Keenan to cut him from those rosters says a lot about how porous Yzerman's defensive game was at the time and not to the above-average defensive game you speak of.

Furthermore, Devellano spoke quite openly about the relationship between Yzerman and Scotty Bowman was in the beginning. Bowman was openly dismissive about Yzerman's defensive game and especially his committment to it. Such was the acrimony that the Red Wings did have trade talks with the Ottawa Senators about Yzerman's services, Devellano confirmed to the group. The only reason the deal didn't go through, according to Devellano was that the Senators never made an acceptable offer.

In this particular battle of wills Bowman eventually won out and Yzerman soon evolved into the better all-around player for it and Detroit became the better team.

poise

Apr 5, 2008
For what it's worth you're beliefs about Yzerman's game are not shared by Jim Devellano who was the general manager of the Red Wings at the time. Not to offend your credentials but there is no bigger supporter of Yzerman than Devellano who did watch every game Yzerman ever played with Detroit, in addition to a large number of his junior games in Peterborough.

At our SIHR meeting, Devellano admitted that Yzerman was not what you would call a 200 foot player. He admitted openly that Yzerman was lacking in defensive skills and effort. In part, this was due to the nature of the team and the situation. As I pointed out before the Red Wings were not the successful franchise of today. Yzerman, was encouraged to focus exclusively on his offense as scoring and not tight checking sells tickets.

When asked by the assembled crowd why Mike Keenan cut Yzerman from both the 1987 and 1991 Canada Cup team's Devellano openly said it was because he was not a 200 foot player. For Keenan to cut him from those rosters says a lot about how porous Yzerman's defensive game was at the time and not to the above-average defensive game you speak of.

Furthermore, Devellano spoke quite openly about the relationship between Yzerman and Scotty Bowman was in the beginning. Bowman was openly dismissive about Yzerman's defensive game and especially his committment to it. Such was the acrimony that the Red Wings did have trade talks with the Ottawa Senators about Yzerman's services, Devellano confirmed to the group. The only reason the deal didn't go through, according to Devellano was that the Senators never made an acceptable offer.

In this particular battle of wills Bowman eventually won out and Yzerman soon evolved into the better all-around player for it and Detroit became the better team.

This is a really interesting point and I thank you for bringing it up (I wish I was at these SIHR meetings :)).

Let me state that I have always believed Steve Yzerman to be good defensively when he was in his prime scoring all those points before he became elite defensively. This is based on my own viewing as well as sources at the time, both by former coaches or people in management (Jacques Demers while coaching Detroit many times stated that Yzerman did everything for the team including in his own zone contrasting him with players who "float" and Bryan Murray called Yzerman "one of its [the league's] best two-way centres" (Hamilton Spectator - February 7, 1994)) or teammates (Glen Hanlon said "a lot of guys can score a lot of goals, but Stevie plays defense" (New York Times - January 13, 1988) or an occasional tidbit of praise from other players or coaches.

The thing is, for someone in the position of Devellano to state otherwise, who, as you noted, probably watched nearly every game Yzerman ever played and also scouted him in Juniors (at the time Yzerman was drafted I believe Devellano held a position in scouting for Detroit), it has to be taken with weight, especially considering Devellano has always maintained this (as far back as the 1997 Cup win). It should be noted that Harry Neale when asked a long time afterward also mentioned that Yzerman was "one-dimensional" when he played under him (Neale coached the Red Wings briefly in the 1985-1986 season) whereas Neal Polano seemed to have a good opinion of Yzerman's two-way play.

Given in the high esteem Devellano holds Yzerman in (when asked about the greatest Red Wing, he considers him to be the 1b to Gordie Howe's 1a!) it makes it more pressing. It is somewhat easier to dismiss, say, Scotty Bowman's criticisms as there were players that Bowman simply did not like such as Sean Burr, who was one of Detroit's best checkers during the early 1990's and who played quite well during the series against San Jose in 1994 but still got blasted.

Of course, at its basic level, it can be chalked up to differences in how the player and his play are seen, as defensive play is a much more subjective beast that offensive play which can be quite closely modeled in most cases by the regular statistics.

However, I believe it might have something to do with perception, even just a little. I posted about it earlier in another thread.

I thought it interesting that Devellano brought up the team situation and the issue of selling tickets. He has mentioned this before, and it certainly has merit. There were many times when Yzerman used to hog the puck and put on a show deep in the offensive zone, rather than make more safe and simple plays (granted, part of this must have been in part to his linemates' abilities). Yzerman also loved to play down low earlier in his career, which often saw him get caught deep in the other team's zone when the puck started to go the other way. When dealing with the logjam at center in the early 1990's, one solution was to place Keith Primeau on Yzerman's wing, as this would allow both Yzerman to continue to play down low, while Primeau could play up high which he preferred.

Lastly, Team Canada cutting Yzerman in 1991 (in 1987, Yzerman had established himself as a star player, but not yet as the superstar that would be widely considered the third best player in the league for a couple of seasons) is always interesting, though Mike Keenan himself mentioned during the 1996 semifinals when Detroit faced St. Louis that he did not agree with the notion that Yzerman was a much better two-way player than he was earlier, just that he was a player playing on a better team, and the thing he had to say about the cut was: '"That was a very controversial move," Keenan said. "We elected not to have him on the team. At center, we had Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier and Eric Lindros, so the decision was based on the depth of the team and what we had at each position"' (St. Louis Post Dispatch - May 12, 1996). I also believe that Yzerman's lackluster performance at camp may have had something to do with it. He was given a personal guarantee that he would make the team, and perhaps he dogged it in camp.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com

After endless debates over this topic where many people kept telling me I was remembering it wrong when I described Yzerman's average defensive play before Bowman and that it was revisionist history, it is nice to have the Wings GM of that time himself, who watched all of Yzerman's games, come out and agree with me almost word for word.:nopity:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad