Signing(s): Yu Darvish signs with the Cubs (6 years, $126 million)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
All I'm hearing are excuses. If the Cubs have such great fans, they should draw no matter what. And if we're going that route the Brewers topped the Cubs in attendance in 2011 and were only 51,000 behind them in 2012. But yeah, we definitely need Cubs fans for everything. Team would probably fold without all the [MOD] filling our stadium 9 or 10 times a year. :sarcasm:
Dont confuse excuses with facts.

The Cubs were horrible yet still out drew one of the years you said they didnt, on top of having one of the highest ticket price scales in all of baseball, while allowing teams to charge a premium for their home games, the brewers included.

I wont even mention the year the Brewers actually did beat the Cubs, the Cubs average per away game was better, so, those national, WGN fans were still going to see them. Heck, even in 13 which you stated the Brewers beat the Cubs in attendance. :D

Where were those Brewer fans? With ticket prices that are similar to standing room at Wrigley, surely they could come out and support their team, right?

Ouch. Ill say it again, at those prices, Wrigley North should be packed every single game, not just when the Cubs play.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
The Cubs were horrible yet still out drew one of the years you said they didnt, on top of having one of the highest ticket price scales in all of baseball, while allowing teams to charge a premium for their home games, the brewers included.

Congrats on [MOD] paying for a shit product, I guess?

I wont even mention the year the Brewers actually did beat the Cubs, the Cubs average per away game was better, so, those national, WGN fans were still going to see them. Heck, even in 13 which you stated the Brewers beat the Cubs in attendance. :D

Thanks for giving a direct competitor money, I guess? Even though all of these Cubs fans stayed away, so I guess you didn't give us that much money.

Ouch. Ill say it again, at those prices, Wrigley North should be packed every single game, not just when the Cubs play.

So the Brewers should be held to a standard that maybe two teams per year reach? [MOD]

Reactions: Voight

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Congrats on [MOD] paying for a **** product, I guess?

Thanks for giving a direct competitor money, I guess? Even though all of these Cubs fans stayed away, so I guess you didn't give us that much money.

So the Brewers should be held to a standard that maybe two teams per year reach? [MOD]
Way to side step.

First, wheres the loyal fans, then right after, condemn them for paying to see their team. :D

This seriously writes itself.

Good job trying to spin tho. Hopefully the Brewers starting pitching can copy that determined rotation on their two seamers and make this year a challenge for the Cubs now that they just signed the most dominant strike out pitcher of this generation? Yes?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
In 2017.

From 2016 to 2017 Hendricks' value lowered by 2 fWAR, his ERA rose a full point and pretty much every other stat went a bad way.
28 years old on decline....

And lets leave out he was injured two months.

Kershaw is declining with this logic and hes the number one on the dodgers #cringe

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
28 years old on decline....

And lets leave out he was injured two months.

Kershaw is declining with this logic and hes the number one on the dodgers #cringe

Maybe - just maybe - 2016 was his peak/a fluke. but OH NO nothing bad can ever happen to Cubs players 11!!!111!!11!!

Lol @ Kershaw declining. the thing is, when you have a sub 2.00 ERA every season, the ONE time you get a 2.30 ERA, it looks bad.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Word is they offered Arrieta a (last minute) deal very similar to Yu's which he declined. It'll be interesting to see what he ends up getting. Personally I would've preferred him to Darvish.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Maybe - just maybe - 2016 was his peak/a fluke. but OH NO nothing bad can ever happen to Cubs players 11!!!111!!11!!

Lol @ Kershaw declining. the thing is, when you have a sub 2.00 ERA every season, the ONE time you get a 2.30 ERA, it looks bad.
Lol @ every season. 3 in 10 isnt every season but to each his own. I mean, its not like Clay didnt follow up is first CY season with a 2.5 era or anything, or that his early years he was rather pedestrian(Shrugs)

But hey, one shoe has Hendricks on decline, the other shoe says so is Kershaw. Its not like injuries arent piling up on Kershaw or anything, ill bet he actually is in decline instead of Hendricks but thats just me. I also feel bad that in 15 Arietta was better then Clay, 16 Hendricks AND Lester were better then Clay and 16/17 Scherzer was better then everybody. Kershaw has been nothing but the bridesmaid for three years now and it just might be he peaked in 14.

Back to Darvish, im loving that the Cubs plan on unleashing his full repertoire of pitches and im putting him as my CY favorite going into the season.

Cy Young prediction

Darvish, Yu
Scherzer, Maxwell
Stratsburg, Steven

I just dont have Kershaw being top three. Egg fragile.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ql1dV.gif

Reactions: darko

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Cy Young prediction

Darvish, Yu
Scherzer, Maxwell
Stratsburg, Steven

I just dont have Kershaw being top three. Egg fragile.

Innings pitched by year

2012:

Kershaw - 227.2
Darvish - 191.1

2013:

Kershaw - 236
Darvish - 209.2

2014:

Kershaw - 198.1
Darvish - 144.1

2015:

Kershaw - 232.2
Darvish - Missed entire year due to injury

2016:

Kershaw - 149
Darvish - 100.1

2017:

Kershaw - 175
Darvish - 186.1

You're really bad at this.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Innings pitched by year

2012:

Kershaw - 227.2
Darvish - 191.1

2013:

Kershaw - 236
Darvish - 209.2

2014:

Kershaw - 198.1
Darvish - 144.1

2015:

Kershaw - 232.2
Darvish - Missed entire year due to injury

2016:

Kershaw - 149
Darvish - 100.1

2017:

Kershaw - 175
Darvish - 186.1

You're really bad at this.
Am I?

Darvish had surgery and came back strong, pitching 180 innings, while Kershaw hasnt hit 200, an average staple during his prime, in two years.

Ouch. While Darvish is getting better as he gets stronger, Kershaws bad back plays a huge factor in his effectiveness.

Not that throwing out numbers from five years ago matter this year, im actually comfortable using last year as a better gauge of health, one in which Darvish was a little more less fragile then eggman Clay.

It happens. Kershaw has pitched alot of innings and it wouldnt shock me one bit if ladt year started his decline. I mean, just in this thread weve learned Hendricks is declining. Fair is fair.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
In what world is Darvish less fragile than Clayton Kershaw? Darvish has pitched 200 innings in a season once. Kershaw has five times, and he just missed once.

Kershaw is declining? He led the NL in ERA last year and finished 2nd in the Cy Young.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I suppose technically when your ERA raises half a point you are declining lol.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
In what world is Darvish less fragile than Clayton Kershaw? Darvish has pitched 200 innings in a season once. Kershaw has five times, and he just missed once.

Kershaw is declining? He led the NL in ERA last year and finished 2nd in the Cy Young.
Hmmm

I was told in this thread Kershaw always has an era under 2. Last year he was 2.3 .....

As for past years, they're irrelevant. If you would like to use last year as a barometer, then fine, but it falls into Darvishs favor. So lets not do that.

If you want to use the post season, Darvish was clearly better outside of tipping his pitches during the WS. You could argue that Darvish is a better big game pitcher then Kershaw also. And thats something the fanboys and Joe Buck just wont admit and that fine.

Lets see, even finishing second, Kershaws numbers were way up, while my guy Yu was sheltered and not using pitches.

This year will tell everything. I have nothing but faith in Yu Darvish to continue the tradition of having the Cubs playing for the pennant thats just been so common for the last three years and i still stand behind my prediction that Darvish is the front runner for the CY.

It's a wonderful time to be a baseball fan. We have one super team in the NL in the Cubs, and a level playing field, and theres one super team in the AL, and a level playing field. Spring brings hope.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well I guess if you're a Cubs fan you have to hope to the pitching holds up because the offense was complete dogshit against the Dodgers last year. Maybe the Cubs will actually have a chance this year but after the curb stomping they took at the hands of LA despite them not having Seager in the lineup being optimistic in the pre season is probably all that they have.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
If thats the case, ill take the Cubs chances since, you know, the two teams with better vegas odds, the Dodgers, who were pitiful against the Astros, and the Nats, who the Cubs trounced, arent really making this Cubs fan even a bit worried going into the year.

It doesnt hurt having a superstar in Theo running things, either. Such luxuries are welcomed, encouraged, and down right impossible not to enjoy.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If thats the case, ill take the Cubs chances since, you know, the two teams with better vegas odds, the Dodgers, who were pitiful against the Astros, and the Nats, who the Cubs trounced, arent really making this Cubs fan even a bit worried going into the year.

It doesnt hurt having a superstar in Theo running things, either. Such luxuries are welcomed, encouraged, and down right impossible not to enjoy.

Not sure how the Cubs would fare against the Astros. Too bad we almost certainly won’t find out. Hopefully they can make it out of the NL wild card game should they get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad