Signing(s): Yu Darvish signs with the Cubs (6 years, $126 million)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's really a #2 when it comes down to it, especially given how much he sucked when on the biggest stage.

At least somebody finally signed.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It's a good pickup for the Cubs for sure. Still 6 yrs. for a 32 yr. old pitcher could be a bit much. We'll see what happens.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
My completely unbias central predictions as of now;

1. Cubs- WS front runner. Signed the top FA yet again. Best team in baseball

2. Cards- simple signings but need to step up into the big boys pants to be taken seriously

3. Brewers- want to be the big boys but will only sell out when the Cubs come to town

4. Reds- will need a miracle but 100 loses looks very possible

5. Pirates- lol

Things could change with FAs but i think most teams here are done

Reactions: PanthersPens62

darko

Feb 16, 2009
My completely unbias central predictions as of now;

1. Cubs- WS front runner. Signed the top FA yet again. Best team in baseball

2. Cards- simple signings but need to step up into the big boys pants to be taken seriously

3. Brewers- want to be the big boys but will only sell out when the Cubs come to town

4. Reds- will need a miracle but 100 loses looks very possible

5. Pirates- lol

Things could change with FAs but i think most teams here are done

Best team in baseball? Astros not Cubs.

Yeah completely unbiased. You have a long history of making completely unbiased opinions.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Cards have made their bones with simple signings. They have never been a team who likes to blow 100 million+ on one player in free agency. They have the best farm system in baseball (overall, i.e they produce a ton of talent even if they aren't always ranked #1) and aren't stupid enough to give 120 million to a pitcher who was horrid beyond belief when it mattered.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The Cardinals need another starter. They have Martinez and then a whole lot of question marks. I don't trust Wacha to be consistent or stay healthy, Wainwright is on the decline, Weaver is a rookie and who knows what you'll get from Mikolas.

Alex Reyes won't be back until May and will probably work out of the bullpen this year. With Spring Training basically here maybe they can bring back Lynn or add Arrieta to a reasonable deal.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Milwaukee doesn't have attendance issues...

Sure they're no St. Louis, but they are around the middle of the pack or slightly better depending on the year.

Reactions: Voight

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Because he can't win important games.

What do you mean? NLDS game 3 wasn’t important? NLCS game 3 wasn’t important? And he was dominant in those games.

As I have attempted to point out ad naseum (apparently to no avail since the narrative lives on), it is documented that the Astros had deciphered his mannerisms to know what he was throwing. That is a pretty simple explanation as to why they crushed him in the World Series, and it is much more viable than some platitude about him not being able to “win important games” or being a “choker.” The Dodgers are now a worse team, while the Cubs are a better team. Don’t kid yourself that this is somehow addition by subtraction for the Dodgers.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Basically so were the Brewers

Miller Park total attendance 2013-14: 5,328,489
Wrigley Field total attendance 2013-14: 5,294,795

Pretty sad that a market five times bigger with a fan base that stretches even beyond that due to national WGN games in previous years would be outdrawn over the course of two seasons by a franchise that finished those two seasons only 17 games ahead of the Cubs.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Darvish is nice, but the back end of that rotation is declining and their bullpen isn't exactly sterling either.

The Brewers are gonna be right there again. If they didn't lose their best starting pitcher early they might have won that division either way.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Miller Park total attendance 2013-14: 5,328,489
Wrigley Field total attendance 2013-14: 5,294,795

Pretty sad that a market five times bigger with a fan base that stretches even beyond that due to national WGN games in previous years would be outdrawn over the course of two seasons by a franchise that finished those two seasons only 17 games ahead of the Cubs.
Wait. So were picking out two years where the Brewers out drew the Cubs, both season the Cubs were a complete joke, and even then, just going off ESPN, the Cubs beat the Brewers in 13 in attendance.

This, factoring in just how bad the Cubs were at the time, and that Cubs tickets are extremely expensive to the point the average rabble cant afford, on top of away games they are still a premium ticket so other teams are making extra money because of, you know, their national exposure, on top of the Brewers having some of the cheapest tickets in the league.

The Brewers should always be beating the Cubs in attendance. Every single year just on ticket price alone, but cant outside of what, one year and even then the margin was slim.

Never change HF, even in the face of financial fact. :D

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Darvish is nice, but the back end of that rotation is declining and their bullpen isn't exactly sterling either.

The Brewers are gonna be right there again. If they didn't lose their best starting pitcher early they might have won that division either way.
Hendricks, Chatwood are declining?

When did this happen?

He's really a #2 when it comes down to it, especially given how much he sucked when on the biggest stage.

At least somebody finally signed.
Yeah well, Kershaw is even worse "when it counts"

Not everyone is say, Jon Lester or Kyle "skills declining" Hendricks...

Because he can't win important games.
Hmmm

Kershaw has a career playoff era over 4 and is seen as a choker in the playoffs.

He cant win important games either. Does he not deserve a big contract?

Really? In 2013 & 2014 when the Cubs were dead last in the NL Central both years? You're going to try to puff your chest about that? Ok, then...
Yeah well those years pulled some fantastic draft picks, js

Last edited by a moderator:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Wait. So were picking out two years where the Brewers out drew the Cubs, both season the Cubs were a complete joke, and even then, just going off ESPN, the Cubs beat the Brewers in 13 in attendance.

This, factoring in just how bad the Cubs were at the time, and that Cubs tickets are extremely expensive to the point the average rabble cant afford, on top of away games they are still a premium ticket so other teams are making extra money because of, you know, their national exposure, on top of the Brewers having some of the cheapest tickets in the league.

The Brewers should always be beating the Cubs in attendance. Every single year just on ticket price alone, but cant outside of what, one year and even then the margin was slim.

Never change HF, even in the face of financial fact. :D

All I'm hearing are excuses. If the Cubs have such great fans, they should draw no matter what. And if we're going that route the Brewers topped the Cubs in attendance in 2011 and were only 51,000 behind them in 2012. But yeah, we definitely need Cubs fans for everything. Team would probably fold without all the [MOD] filling our stadium 9 or 10 times a year. :sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad