GDT: YST G2 | Oilers vs. Flames | 8:30PM MST | Streamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Nurse is going to be hell to play against but I still don't see the poise to be a top dman in this league.

North

Jun 25, 2009
He was Mia! He will need to pick things up to maintain his Playoff warrior status!

The one thing that is going to be hard for Bennett until he gets more strength is playing heavier teams.

The only reason he stood out in the playoffs was they were playing Vancouver. The team with the least amount of grit in their lineup.

When they started playing a team that plays a heavier game he was less effective.

Having said that, he's still going to be a good one.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
we

won

both

games....?!?

At halftime in the BOA people were talking it up in both threads like we were gonna lose both games..:laugh:

Football game was bigger tonight. What a game.

Nice to beat Calgary twice in a night. What a longtime that's been.

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015
Rasmus Andersson:
qz1g0.jpg

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Very fun game. Most of the players who've played well have been mentioned.
I really thought Tyler Soy played well both games. Kid makes a lot of smart moves. Works hard. Not a particularly offensive player perhaps, but might have what it takes to be a utility player

Last edited:

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I agree. Showed a lot of hustle, just as he did last night. Same with Rankin. For me those two guys are the most pleasant surprises.
Thing is though, the announcers said Andersson plays in the OHL. He must know Nurse.
If that was a demonstration of his fighting ability then wtf was he thinking?
Pro tip. If you can't fight at all, don't drop the gloves with Nurse. I would have liked to have seen Nurse step back a bit there. Those last few shots were unnecessary imo.

Not sure you watched the same fight. Nurse tried to back off at the start as you could see he didn't want to get involved with the leed. Anderson kept giving him shots in the face I guess that might have something to do with it. You play with the bull and you get the horns.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
The one thing that is going to be hard for Bennett until he gets more strength is playing heavier teams.

The only reason he stood out in the playoffs was they were playing Vancouver. The team with the least amount of grit in their lineup.

When they started playing a team that plays a heavier game he was less effective.

Having said that, he's still going to be a good one.

Agreed he does have talent. Calgary is in the worst spot possible. Full of talented small players who give you just enough results to squeak into the playoffs each year only to get beat by larger talented teams. I would much rather hold out for the real gold!

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Nurse is going to be hell to play against but I still don't see the poise to be a top dman in this league.

I'll take it after last year's listless display of an Eakinsed team that looked at opponents like a deer in the headlights.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Nurse and his sister Kia, who plays on the National basketball team qualifying for the Olympics are just loaded with poise. Their parents raised one hell of a family and must be proud. These kids are stocked to the brim with confidence, ability, hard work. Nurse can be anything he wants to be. Got it all. Skill, tough, size, hands.
I thought he's always showed lots of poise and like the game is slowed down for him. When he's on the ice in these rookie matches especially its man against boys.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I think poise is something you gain with experience and maturity. Can't read much into rookie squad games with teammates/partners he doesn't know so well.

I'm the opposite. I think it is something you either have or don't.

When Nurse gets to wind up, he is great. When he is under a heavy forecheck and has to made a quick read, he isn't so impressive.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Nurse and his sister Kia, who plays on the National basketball team qualifying for the Olympics are just loaded with poise. Their parents raised one hell of a family and must be proud. These kids are stocked to the brim with confidence, ability, hard work. Nurse can be anything he wants to be. Got it all. Skill, tough, size, hands.
I thought he's always showed lots of poise and like the game is slowed down for him. When he's on the ice in these rookie matches especially its man against boys.

All of this and likely add 20lbs. He will be a beast!

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton

When Nurse gets to wind up, he is great. When he is under a heavy forecheck and has to made a quick read, he isn't so impressive.

He still has some fundamental skills he needs to improve at. Again, he is only 20 yrs old. He plays with some fire and has a ton of character. He has looked like a man against boys at times in these 2 games. I'm really excited to watch him develop

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

He showed tons of poise at the WJC and in the OHL playoffs when the games really mattered (he was a rock defensively) so he has it in him on the biggest stages. He does need to reign his game in a bit but that should come with good pro coaching and maturity.

I don't think he played particularly well tonight but I wouldn't take too much from it.

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
interesting

Best player on the ice tonight from both teams. Last night and tonight he finds a way to be very effective. His size is not an issue.

I'm a Vees fan, and have been at both Oiler games in Penticton - sitting in row 1 and row 4 just next to the Oilers bench... I would say that guys like Pavel Karnaukov and Slepyshev have stood out at times, with some steady play from Nurse, but I've felt that Laleggia has looked small and struggled to win some key battles at times with bigger players- I also thought he looked a bit lost on Calgary's 2nd goal tonight...

Like the guy a lot, hope for the best for him, but I wouldn't have called him the best player on the ice tonight - Interesting how two people can see different things from the same game! I'm not an Oilers fan (or Flames fan), so I'm not necessarily hoping for anything from Laleggia when I watch him... On the other hand, I have Slepyshev in my keeper league, so when I watch him I tend to see the good things and get excited...

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Improved and quicker decision making comes with experience.
That said when pressured hard on the PP in him own end he tried to just pin the puck, not cough it up and then wait for help. Probably the smartest play possible.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

I think that's a little bit of hog wash. Hard to see the kind of pose a player has in games like these, because the system play isn't well defined or practiced in breakout situations where major decisions need to be made.

Watching Nurse with the Soo and with team Canada gives a much different impression.

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
He showed tons of poise at the WJC and in the OHL playoffs when the games really mattered (he was a rock defensively) so he has it in him on the biggest stages. He does need to reign his game in a bit but that should come with good pro coaching and maturity.

I don't think he played particularly well tonight but I wouldn't take too much from it.

Sitting at the ice level and watching this live - Nurse was a factor in the game... The criticism from the crowd is astonishing - it reminded me of how Phaneuf is criticized in Toronto... I thought he was very good - not perfect (it is a fast game you know), and he has far more confidence and game-influence than anyone out there... I'd certainly take him over Draisaitl every day of the week.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Nurse is a gifted skater that can make the forecheck miss. Poise is being to move out when guys are hot on you and leave them in the dust and he already does this. he seems to have a real quick start in his stride. Powerful one stride skater that can evade pressure on his own. He just makes it look so easy you sometimes take it for granted.

It takes awhile to slow the game even more but he's making good reads consistently and moving the puck effectively several times to the maybe one time he might get caught. Understand he's getting keyed on out there as well. He's the name player out there without McDavid in the lineup.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm a Vees fan, and have been at both Oiler games in Penticton - sitting in row 1 and row 4 just next to the Oilers bench... I would say that guys like Pavel Karnaukov and Slepyshev have stood out at times, with some steady play from Nurse, but I've felt that Laleggia has looked small and struggled to win some key battles at times with bigger players- I also thought he looked a bit lost on Calgary's 2nd goal tonight...

Like the guy a lot, hope for the best for him, but I wouldn't have called him the best player on the ice tonight - Interesting how two people can see different things from the same game! I'm not an Oilers fan (or Flames fan), so I'm not necessarily hoping for anything from Laleggia when I watch him... On the other hand, I have Slepyshev in my keeper league, so when I watch him I tend to see the good things and get excited...

Yeah, Laleggia is simply too small. I really don't see the point with this guy. Reasonable player on the farm but theres nothing in his stature that says NHL player. Even at a peak he would remind me of a Bergeron type. I just don't see it. You gotta have incredible skills as a D to overcome being a runt. He has no physical compete and just gets beat on pucks around the net.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sitting at the ice level and watching this live - Nurse was a factor in the game... The criticism from the crowd is astonishing - it reminded me of how Phaneuf is criticized in Toronto... I thought he was very good - not perfect (it is a fast game you know), and he has far more confidence and game-influence than anyone out there... I'd certainly take him over Draisaitl every day of the week.

I've seen him play better before. I think the fight skewed some perception of his overall game tonight. With that said, I agree with your last statement. I'd easily take him over Draisaitl if given the choice even not taking team need into consideration.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
So are we expecting him to be winning Norris trophies here?

Everybody knows he is crazy athletic and has a mean streak. If you guys are telling me has the poise and puck skills to go along with it, you are kind of describing the perfect dman. You should all be comfortable anointing him a future Norris trophy winner if that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad