GDT: YSC Game 1 | Oilers Rookies vs Jets Rookies | September 16 2022, 5:00PM | EdmontonOilers.com

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Arvid Holm can go HOME LOL

giphy.gif

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Well, that was a fairly typical low intensity, discombobulated and chaotic prospect game. :laugh: Not much you can really take from these games considering how far from a real pro game this type of hockey emulates, but still nice to have some hockey to watch again

Bourgault was easily the most talented player on either team, Holloway looked like a pro who would be more comfortable in a pro-style game than a game shinny, Shaeffer forgets he's playing hockey when the puck isn't on his stick, and Petrov managed to be completely invisible(was wondering if he was even playing at times, and I was specifically looking for him).

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Kesselring for me. Bourgault was good as well. Lots of players that had decent but unspectacular 3rd periods (the only period that I was able to watch).
Based on how he played last year at camp and how he played last season, I wouldn’t be surprised if Bourgault forced his way on the team. I’d love if Woodcroft would just try him with Hyman and Draisaitl in pre season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well, that was a fairly typical low intensity, discombobulated and chaotic prospect game. :laugh: Not much you can really take from these games considering how far from a real pro game this type of hockey emulates, but still nice to have some hockey to watch again

Bourgault was easily the most talented player on either team, Holloway looked like a pro who would be more comfortable in a pro-style game than a game shinny, Shaeffer forgets he's playing hockey when the puck isn't on his stick, and Petrov managed to be completely invisible(was wondering if he was even playing at times, and I was specifically looking for him).
Schaefer was a long shot when drafted imo. Lord on his fame he has to work on. Reminds me a bit of McLeod but not as skilled.

Sergei Samsonov says hi... One inch shorter than Hamblin according to Wikipedia. :D
I’m not saying you can’t be small but I just think his size will 100% prevent him. I think he is going to be a great guy to have in the AHL as a mainstay.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Very VERY early overreaction observation but Schaefer looks like a plug. Having never seen him play, this is my first viewing of him and it was not inspiring. I can see why so many here (who have probably seen him play) were against the pick if tonight's game is any indication of what he will be.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Schaefer was a long shot when drafted imo. Lord on his fame he has to work on. Reminds me a bit of McLeod but not as skilled.
He's a project player no doubt.

It'll be interesting to see how he does further into camp when things are more structured.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Very VERY early overreaction observation but Schaefer looks like a plug. Having never seen him play, this is my first viewing of him and it was not inspiring. I can see why so many here (who have probably seen him play) were against the pick if tonight's game is any indication of what he will be.
Expectations might be too high due to the 32nd pick of the draft being a first rounder. He’s more or less your average second rounder. That said the few times I noticed him he tried being too cute trying to toe drag at the blue line, but I do like that he shows creativity so it gives hope for development. Big kid who plays an aggressive game, lets see how he looks after another WHL season and two full AHL Seasons.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
That's a bit harsh on him, but it might end up being accurate.

The Oilers didn't just draft him for what he is though, but what his game could evolve into. I suspect he's been playing the junior sniper game in the WHL(floating around waiting to get setup), and will probably have to learn how to play a grinding game that takes advantage of his size and shooting game at the pro level(much like Lavorie). He's probably a longshot to make the team within 3 years as a result.

We'll see what happens I guess.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Expectations might be too high due to the 32nd pick of the draft being a first rounder. He’s more or less your average second rounder. That said the few times I noticed him he tried being too cute trying to toe drag at the blue line, but I do like that he shows creativity so it gives hope for development. Big kid who plays an aggressive game, lets see how he looks after another WHL season and two full AHL Seasons.
Oh, for sure. Just an observation based on this one game.
Big guys usually take longer to develop anyway so he's a long term project and patience will be needed. Seeing Lambert flying all over the ice didn't help matters ;)

Nevermind, I think the Jets took Lambert before the Oilers anyway.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Very nice games from Borgault and Holloway. Kesselring always leaves me impressed.

I thought Lambert looked pretty good on the jets. Would of been nice for Oilers to draft him and find a different way to dump Kassian.

But hard to take too much from these games. In any event, nice that hockey is back.

Oh, for sure. Just an observation based on this one game.
Big guys usually take longer to develop anyway so he's a long term project and patience will be needed. Seeing Lambert flying all over the ice didn't help matters ;)

Nevermind, I think the Jets took Lambert before the Oilers anyway.
They did only because Edmonton traded back from 28 to 32 or something. Jets picked him one pick after Edmontons original.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad