Youth Injection - Who makes the cut?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I still don't really buy that Shinkaruk and Horvat have above average chemistry together. They've played together alot and have played "okay", but they don't seem like a great fit and didn't exactly light it up when together

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I haven't watched Virtanen play more than a handful of games, perception of where he is in terms of development seems to be all over the map.

Many have said that he's a men amongst boys and he'd benefit more from playing in the NHL. And, that he isn't given ample opportunity in Calgary. Others seem to think he isn't ready, they figure he has more to learn in juniors.

Virtanen has NHL level skating, shot, and physicality. Is that enough to leap frog him to this level?
His body is more than ready but his head isn't ready, so it's a bit of both-- He could probably be okay in the lineup as a physical fourth liner, but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

It would suck to have to rush his development just because the Hitmen are doing a poor job of developing him.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I still don't really buy that Shinkaruk and Horvat have above average chemistry together. They've played together alot and have played "okay", but they don't seem like a great fit and didn't exactly light it up when together

They played a nice give and go game together and seemed to really enjoy playing with one another. Typically you don't want 2 guys that inexperienced on the same line, but Horvat playing like a 10 year vet really mitigates that worry.

Shinkaruk is also the type of player that could mesh with a playmaker like Bonino. Will be very interesting to see how Baertschi and Shinkaruk stack up against each other in camp, with Kenins also proving he's NHL ready.

We have thought there would be good competition amongst youngsters at camp before, but this coming season looks like it will actually come to fruition for the 1st time in ages. Can't recall the last time we saw this number of youngsters that have legitimate shots at being NHL regulars.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
sedins kassian
sven bo vrbata
shink bones kennis
vey - rich- $$$sett

if jim actually moves wonder vey willie best bud I could see virtanen taking that spot cassels to ahl and mccan one more year in junior

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
His body is more than ready but his head isn't ready, so it's a bit of both-- He could probably be okay in the lineup as a physical fourth liner, but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

It would suck to have to rush his development just because the Hitmen are doing a poor job of developing him.

The way Willy D likes to move wingers up an down the lineup and even out the minutes in the bottom 6 I don't think its a huge problem. If the team can get Richardson back I think that would be a good player to mentor Jake into how to be an NHL'r

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
It is too hard to tell trends because this management group hasn't been around long enough. Generally speaking though, there are guys who pretty much have to make the team because of waiver exemption, so most of the work has been done this year.

That being said, it is common to push higher draft picks into the league, after a couple of years especially, so Virtanen could stand a chance. Not many other players in my opinion are quite ready, for opening day anyway.

Baertschi
Clendenning
Corrado
Virtanen (?)

I suspect something will change on D so who knows how the dust settles.

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
People keep slotting Corrado in, but I just don't see it

LHD - Edler, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Pedan(? Unsure if waiver eligible)
RHD - Tanev, Bieksa, Clendening, Weber

As much as people Want Bieksa and Sbisa sat or traded, it's just not going to happen
Clendening has that waiver eligibility thing kicking in
And Weber is our best offensive dman who WD said himself that he'd have played him more if he "knew how good he was" (of course, if he signs)

Corrado having another safe year in terms of waiver eligibility, I see him staying in Utica and getting called up when injuries happen
Then he gets full time for 16/17

Ditto!

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

Now put up the roster that'll fit-in with a cap @ $71 million (good chance it'll be less if that "escalater clause" is voted down by the NHLPA). Corrado will probably makes less than half what Weber will make next season (we might not be available to afford him - might not want to if he's asking for way too much). Corrado's next contract fits perfectly with the present cap situation on the Canucks. The need for cheap contracts.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Now put up the roster that'll fit-in with a cap @ $71 million (good chance it'll be less if that "escalater clause" is voted down by the NHLPA). Corrado will probably makes less than half what Weber will make next season (we might not be available to afford him - might not want to if he's asking for way too much). Corrado's next contract fits perfectly with the present cap situation on the Canucks. The need for cheap contracts.

Benning did say that Frank is close to NHL ready and believe he will be ready next season.
So if that's true, then Frank would def be a regular.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

As much as people Want Bieksa and Sbisa sat or traded, it's just not going to happen
Clendening has that waiver eligibility thing kicking in
And Weber is our best offensive dman who WD said himself that he'd have played him more if he "knew how good he was" (of course, if he signs)

Corrado having another safe year in terms of waiver eligibility, I see him staying in Utica and getting called up when injuries happen
Then he gets full time for 16/17

Pedan improved tremendously after he joined the Comets but he has yet to play a full season in the AHL due to concussion issues. He has been out since March 15 after getting knocked out by Stu Bickel and he missed over two months last season with the same issue. He is a legitimate NHL prospect if he can keep developing and stay healthy.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Corrado is slotted in ahead of Clendening because he is a better player. We cant state that rookies have to earn their spots while stopping them progressing because a worse player has waiver exposure.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Vey, Clendening, Baertchi (all waiver eligible). Possibly Corrado.

I'd long questioned Corrado's waiver eligibility next season but it appears he's not going to be exempt from waivers.

In Exhibit 16 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, part 15 reads:

15 Waivers 11 NHL GP threshold for 18/19 year olds for 2012-13 prorated (48/82)

48/82 * 11 = 6.43. Corrado played 7 NHL games (including regular season and playoffs) in 2012-13, thus reducing his waiver exemption period to three years commencing 2012-13.

My guess is that his would remove the word "Possibly" in the reference to Corrado in the quoted post.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Higgins Horvat Burrows
Baertschi Bonino Kassian
Kenins Richardson Dorsett
/Vey

*Hansen/Higgins traded to recoup the 2nd/3rd round picks we are missing

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Weber
Sbisa/Stanton/Corrado/Clendenning <-- Some combination of these

(ahhh SBISA!)
*Bieksa traded to a contender for a 2nd

Lack
Markstrom
*Miller traded to Edm for 33rd overall

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I see this. And hope

Sedin sedin Kassian
Vrbata bonino Barts
Burrows Horvat Hansen
Virtanen vey Dorsett

Edler tanev
Hamhuis sbisa
Corrado weber

Clendenning

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Higgins Horvat Burrows
Baertschi Bonino Kassian
Kenins Richardson Dorsett
/Vey

*Hansen/Higgins traded to recoup the 2nd/3rd round picks we are missing

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Weber
Sbisa/Stanton/Corrado/Clendenning <-- Some combination of these

(ahhh SBISA!)
*Bieksa traded to a contender for a 2nd

Lack
Markstrom
*Miller traded to Edm for 33rd overall

Love the Miller for 33rd pick but he has a NTC and EDM isn't on his list. Lack or Markstrom far more likely to be dealt. Lack for 33rd pick is maybe a possibility.

Your forward group is okay but is way too similar to this years team. No sense is trading Hansen, he is a perfect 3/4 line player and has a reasonable salary. Richardson is a UFA and 0% chance he is getting resigned. Matthias is the one guy for me that I would like the Canucks to resign but no chance, some joke team will offer him 4 X 4 and he will score 12 goals next year.

Baertshi 100% on the team next year.

Corrado 100% on the team next year.

Vey is RFA and will be resigned but not sure how he fits in yet.

Higgins is a guy that should fetch a 2 or 3rd rounder. He has a good salary and would go East to play for where he is from.

Pretty obvious Stanton isn't getting qualified. That opens a spot for Weber to come back. Tanev, Sbisa and Edler all factor in long term. That leave BIEKSA and Hammer. One of these two d-men have to dealt. Bikes (injured or not) was exposed in the playoffs and can no longer be a 2-3 guy.

Bieksa for a 2nd or 3rd would be perfect. Want to re-tool then a few more core guys need to go. If Bieksa goes then there may be room for Corrado and Clendenning, make the Canucks younger and more offensive.

My wildcard is Kassian, I don't think the Canucks like him and he doesn't fit with Coach willie. I predict he gets dealt in a reverse Baertshi deal for a 2nd round pick. I like Kassian but I think he need a quiet market, imagine him in Det or Aha? Would be unreal, Vancouver market not for faint at heart.

If Kassian gets dealt then he needs to be replaced by another young player, my pick for next year (especially with Richardson gone) is Brendan Gaunce. Big and smart, would replace some size in Kassian.

No sense in rushing McCann and Virtanen. Leave in JR. and allow them to play in the world juniors. Also think Nick Jensen gets dealt, hasn't lived up to expectations and isn't a Benning pick. Everyone knows that GM's eventually start to clear out players they didn't acquire. Shinkaruk needs another year to grow and get stronger but happy he has had a strong finish.

The real wild card is the Canucks goaltending, so much depth right now but between Markstrom, Cannata and Eriksson they have 2 group 5 UFA's and 1 RFA. Could potentially go from having minor league depth down to the ECHL all the way to just having two NHL goaltenders. The Canucks need to retain Markstrom at least if they don't sign O'Connor. Cannata I don't care about as he will never be an NHL goalie, but Erikisson is worth keeping around as well.

My dream is Miller gets dealt and the Canucks go with an NHL tandem of Markstrom and Lack with Erikisson playing a ton in the AHL.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Love the Miller for 33rd pick but he has a NTC and EDM isn't on his list. Lack or Markstrom far more likely to be dealt. Lack for 33rd pick is maybe a possibility.

Your forward group is okay but is way too similar to this years team. No sense is trading Hansen, he is a perfect 3/4 line player and has a reasonable salary. Richardson is a UFA and 0% chance he is getting resigned. Matthias is the one guy for me that I would like the Canucks to resign but no chance, some joke team will offer him 4 X 4 and he will score 12 goals next year.

Baertshi 100% on the team next year.

Corrado 100% on the team next year.

Vey is RFA and will be resigned but not sure how he fits in yet.

Higgins is a guy that should fetch a 2 or 3rd rounder. He has a good salary and would go East to play for where he is from.

Pretty obvious Stanton isn't getting qualified. That opens a spot for Weber to come back. Tanev, Sbisa and Edler all factor in long term. That leave BIEKSA and Hammer. One of these two d-men have to dealt. Bikes (injured or not) was exposed in the playoffs and can no longer be a 2-3 guy.

Bieksa for a 2nd or 3rd would be perfect. Want to re-tool then a few more core guys need to go. If Bieksa goes then there may be room for Corrado and Clendenning, make the Canucks younger and more offensive.

My wildcard is Kassian, I don't think the Canucks like him and he doesn't fit with Coach willie. I predict he gets dealt in a reverse Baertshi deal for a 2nd round pick. I like Kassian but I think he need a quiet market, imagine him in Det or Aha? Would be unreal, Vancouver market not for faint at heart.

If Kassian gets dealt then he needs to be replaced by another young player, my pick for next year (especially with Richardson gone) is Brendan Gaunce. Big and smart, would replace some size in Kassian.

No sense in rushing McCann and Virtanen. Leave in JR. and allow them to play in the world juniors. Also think Nick Jensen gets dealt, hasn't lived up to expectations and isn't a Benning pick. Everyone knows that GM's eventually start to clear out players they didn't acquire. Shinkaruk needs another year to grow and get stronger but happy he has had a strong finish.

The real wild card is the Canucks goaltending, so much depth right now but between Markstrom, Cannata and Eriksson they have 2 group 5 UFA's and 1 RFA. Could potentially go from having minor league depth down to the ECHL all the way to just having two NHL goaltenders. The Canucks need to retain Markstrom at least if they don't sign O'Connor. Cannata I don't care about as he will never be an NHL goalie, but Erikisson is worth keeping around as well.

My dream is Miller gets dealt and the Canucks go with an NHL tandem of Markstrom and Lack with Erikisson playing a ton in the AHL.

1) My thought is, Miller may be willing to waive to Edm if it means he can be the undisputed starter (opposed to backing up in Van). I concede I am likely reaching here, but after landing McDavid, Miller may be willing to join an up and coming team and be their #1 guy. (But again, speculating/dreaming)

2) I don't think Kassian gets traded largely because of the uncertainty with his back injury. Don't think teams will make solid offers for him (so he likely starts the year, possibly dealt later). I remember during the year end presser someone (either JB or WD) mentioned he'd played well before the injury and was doing the things they wanted from him.

3) I think Higgins and/or Hansen will be dealt to re-acquire picks and make room for younger players. (This is also assuming we sign 0 free agents). I really don't think Benning is going into the draft without a 2nd and a 3rd, so I think some combo of Bieksa/Higgins/Hansen are out by draft day.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
just ran the average ages for the forwards and d for both the canucks and flames as it stands right now on their roster pages.

canucks forwards: 28
canucks D: 26

flames forwards: 25
flames D: 28

total em up and the average age for canucks forwards and d combined is 27

the flames are 26.5.

interesting.

i thought the discrepancy would be more. guess this just might prove vancouver skaters are slow because they looked like slugs out there against the flames.

Joey English

Apr 25, 2015
Newfoundland
just ran the average ages for the forwards and d for both the canucks and flames as it stands right now on their roster pages.

the flames are 26.5.

interesting.

i thought the discrepancy would be more. guess this just might prove vancouver skaters are slow because they looked like slugs out there against the flames.

The thing about that is that you're looking at our OLDER offense against their YOUNGER defense. And their YOUNGER offense against out OLDER defense. That makes their defense look good and ours look bad. It's more of an issue of where the age is in the lineup.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
The thing about that is that you're looking at our OLDER offense against their YOUNGER defense. And their YOUNGER offense against out OLDER defense. That makes their defense look good and ours look bad. It's more of an issue of where the age is in the lineup.

no, i was mostly referring to chris higgins

:laugh:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
1) My thought is, Miller may be willing to waive to Edm if it means he can be the undisputed starter (opposed to backing up in Van). I concede I am likely reaching here, but after landing McDavid, Miller may be willing to join an up and coming team and be their #1 guy. (But again, speculating/dreaming)

He was looking to get to the west coast as a UFA for a reason....his wife. I don't think Edmonton has a hope.

If Vancouver is unable to move him to San Jose I suspect he's a canuck next year. Unfortunately.

2) I don't think Kassian gets traded largely because of the uncertainty with his back injury. Don't think teams will make solid offers for him (so he likely starts the year, possibly dealt later). I remember during the year end presser someone (either JB or WD) mentioned he'd played well before the injury and was doing the things they wanted from him.

Agreed. and Benning did indeed say he really liked how he played the 5or so weeks before the injury.

3) I think Higgins and/or Hansen will be dealt to re-acquire picks and make room for younger players. (This is also assuming we sign 0 free agents). I really don't think Benning is going into the draft without a 2nd and a 3rd, so I think some combo of Bieksa/Higgins/Hansen are out by draft day.

I think Higgins will be. I don't think you trade both and my preference is to keep Hansen. He does a great job in the bottom 6 driving play and providing a stabilizing force on those lines.

you can not simply add 4 or 5 rookies to the full time roster and be competitive. And they want to be competitive. Youth will get a good amount of time with the big club but a big chunk is going to come from call ups.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

the flames are 26.5.

interesting.

The average age of our top six is 32 years old. The bottom 6 is fine age wise.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
The issue I think isn't that the team is old, but that the team's best players are old.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The issue I think isn't that the team is old, but that the team's best players are old.
Yep. Trades for Vey and Clendening even Sbisa don't really help, they just add more filler that happens to be young. Hopefully Sven can crack the top 6 and add some youth and skill up there because if he can't the top 6 that was old in 2013, tot even older after Benning added Vrbbata plus 1 year to everyone else in 2014 is going to be ancient in 2015-16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad