Youth Injection - Who makes the cut?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think Cassels might surprise, just because he could be physically ready and he plays with such an edge.

I think Corrado also becomes a regular and that Bieksa is traded at the draft.

I was thinking the same thing. But those who have seen him play more say foot speed may be a big issue in him making the transition. The one thing that the young guys coming in have, in addition to playing with an edge, is speed.

Catch

Feb 7, 2012
OK. I don't think management will re-sign Matthias either. He will be too expensive for what he brings.
Realistically, there are no other players on the team to make up for the goals. Perhaps Horvat might get 15-20 next year. Burrows, Higgins, and Hansen are all on the down turn. Can't expect more than 15 goals from any of them next year. I think managmenet will look to move these guys if they can - for picks.
If anything I think management will try to shore up the defense for the coming year - to try to stay competitive while guys like Baerstchi, and Shinkaruk incubate for another year. The only alternative to help with scoring is to make a trade or sign another Vrbata which I think would be a mistake.

Don't forget Kassian. A healthy season could replace some of those goals. In my earlier post, I had a 3rd line of Kennins - Horvat- Kassian. That line could help replace goals lacking from our weak 2nd line.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Don't forget Kassian. A healthy season could replace some of those goals. In my earlier post, I had a 3rd line of Kennins - Horvat- Kassian. That line could help replace goals lacking from our weak 2nd line.

I think if you replace Kenins on that line with a scorer (Baerstchi or Shinkaruk when he's ready) you have your second line. Our weak second line is that for one reason: they're actually a third line.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Baertschi, Clendening, Corrado, and Gaunce will be the prospects on the roster that weren't this year, IMO.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
People keep slotting Corrado in, but I just don't see it

LHD - Edler, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Pedan(? Unsure if waiver eligible)
RHD - Tanev, Bieksa, Clendening, Weber

As much as people Want Bieksa and Sbisa sat or traded, it's just not going to happen
Clendening has that waiver eligibility thing kicking in
And Weber is our best offensive dman who WD said himself that he'd have played him more if he "knew how good he was" (of course, if he signs)

Corrado having another safe year in terms of waiver eligibility, I see him staying in Utica and getting called up when injuries happen
Then he gets full time for 16/17

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Gaunce is my dark horse. He's incredibly heady and looked like a career NHLer at almost all of our prospects camps.

SvenBaertschi

Not Sven Baerschi
Aug 19, 2012
Gaunce is my dark horse. He's incredibly heady and looked like a career NHLer at almost all of our prospects camps.

+1 I really like Gaunce. Seems like a really mature kid who will definitely make the NHL. Where he lands is the real question mark 2-4 liner?

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Agreeing with a lot of what Fanuck said on the "who makes the cut" thread, but would do some adjustments:
Thinking about our veteran wingers, moving on with Higgins would be the least painful thing to do, considering we have to something, in the end.

My lineup also just doesn't have space for Miller OR an underachieving Markstrom. Miller is too much of a stopgap and temporary warrior to risk any grudges with our younger goalies. We have to get rid of him. I say give Lack the #1 spot and use every attempt to calculate if there is any chance of him being a respectable backup. If not, we waive him and give that spot to Eriksson who has been the definition of cool in a system with a LOT of turmoil. If yes, Eriksson is promised the sole #1 spot in a very competitive Utica for one more year and a promise of a backup spot in this team or a trade somewhere where there's a more legit chance to achieve it.

I think Grenier could be a nice revelation next season, too, so that's why I have him pencilled in. Realistically, though, there's a roster spot available for any one forward on any position. If someone outperforms Grenier on RW, he's sent back to U. If that someone is a LW, you send him down and Burrows moves to RW. If that someone's a 4C, likewise with Vey moving to that wing.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Kassian
Virtanen - Bonino - Hansen
Burrows - Vey - Grenier
Dorsett

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Clendening
Sbisa - Corrado
Stanton

Lack
Markstrom / Eriksson

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
I think Shinkaruk might force his way on the team this training camp. If he can use his off season to put on some mass I can see him making it. He should work with Horvat and whatever Voodoo magic he's using on his legs.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I was thinking the same thing. But those who have seen him play more say foot speed may be a big issue in him making the transition. The one thing that the young guys coming in have, in addition to playing with an edge, is speed.

Remember when Horvat had foot speed issues? Now he can blaze by defenders, it's shocking that it was ever mentioned as a weakness. It could change with Cassels too if he works on it, he has a good frame.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
A few comments ....

Clendening Baertschi and Markstrom have to make the team or be traded. Not one of them will clear waivers.

I would love it if we can trade Miller's contract for anything.

I would also love to see Vancouver package Miller and Bieska to Edm for a draft pick or a top prospect. Yes, KB has a NTC, but he is exactly the sort of guy that Edm Oilers could use on the back line. A veteran no nonsense D man who is tough.

Miller KB3 23rd and a mid level prospect (one of Gaunce, Cassels Pedan etc)

for

Draisaitl & 33rd (even though he didn't exactly light the world on fire this year ...)

I suspect this going to be a very busy Draft Day for the Canucks. They have a ton of tough decisions to make.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^ I don't think Edmonton would even consider that
Remember when Horvat had foot speed issues? Now he can blaze by defenders, it's shocking that it was ever mentioned as a weakness. It could change with Cassels too if he works on it, he has a good frame.
To be fair, Horvat was never slow to the degree that Cassels currently is. He just didn't have top-end speed that other top prospects did. His speed was comparable to Gaunce's and was faster than Bonino at training camp, and Cassels is much slower than that.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
A few comments ....

Clendening Baertschi and Markstrom have to make the team or be traded. Not one of them will clear waivers.

I would love it if we can trade Miller's contract for anything.

I would also love to see Vancouver package Miller and Bieska to Edm for a draft pick or a top prospect. Yes, KB has a NTC, but he is exactly the sort of guy that Edm Oilers could use on the back line. A veteran no nonsense D man who is tough.

Miller KB3 23rd and a mid level prospect (one of Gaunce, Cassels Pedan etc)

for

Draisaitl & 33rd (even though he didn't exactly light the world on fire this year ...)

I suspect this going to be a very busy Draft Day for the Canucks. They have a ton of tough decisions to make.

Chiarelli would be immediately fired for that. Sorry, but that's so lopsided.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Horvat Kassian Sven Vey and one of Corrado/Clendenning as the 7th dman

Not one of the listed players gets more than 30 games in the top 4/top 6 and we miss the playoffs by 3 points

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Gaunce is one of those players who I think plays the NHL game better then the AHL.

His size, decent hands, two way game, and opportunistic play style leads me he can have a decent amount of success

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I expect at a minimum we'll have Horvat, Kenins, Baertschi, Virtanen, and Corrado as regulars next year (and Clendening on the roster). That's a minimum. I would also be happy if Shinkaruk earns a spot (and hope they would make a spot available to him rather than saying "oh he had a great camp but we're going to overcook him"), and not upset if we give a spot to one of Gaunce, McCann or Cassels assuming they earn it in camp.

There is zero chance we have that many rookies and 2nd year players in the lineup.

Baertschi will likely make the team out of camp because he is waiver eligible.

Kenins and Shinkaruk will be up and down.

We'll have to see what moves are made on defense. Benning indicated at the end of season presser that they were going to try to sign Weber, so if Corrado or Clendening are to make the team, it will require moving a veteran with an NTC or as injury call ups.

Edit: The interesting position will be C. It looks like they are not going to re-sign Richardson or Matthias. So that means Henrik, Bonino, Horvat and Vey down the centre. Personally, I'd elevate Horvat to the 2nd line, drop Bones to the 3rd and give Gaunce or Cassels a long look at the 4C position as I don't think Vey is suited to that role.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think it would a mistake not to keep Kenins on the team. Even as a fourth line mucker, he's valuable and ready. His offensive abilities/instincts are very raw and sometimes gets him into trouble, but he's in prime position to develop them right now-- it'd be a shame to waste him on the farm.

A full year of Kenins - Horvat - Hansen would be great for those guys-- I'm not really in the camp that believes Horvat needs to jump right into a pure offensive role with Vrbata.

I'm seeing

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Kenins - Horvat - Hansen
Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata
Dorsett - Vey - ??? (could be anything, Burrows, Virtanen, Richardson, some plug)

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Corrado/Clendenning
Clendenning/Corrado

Lack
Markstrom

I don't think Benning would actually get rid of Miller, (although for some reason I'm optimistic that they're not as high on Bieksa as we think), and I don't think this lineup will be great or anything, but I'm hoping for a transition year where we get a decent pick.

I wouldn't really expect Weber to necessarily carry his level of play over to next season. I don't think both Clendenning/Corrado making the team would be much of a problem, with Clendenning, Corrado, and Weber rotating in and out of the lineup like they did for stretches this year.
Gaunce is one of those players who I think plays the NHL game better then the AHL.

His size, decent hands, two way game, and opportunistic play style leads me he can have a decent amount of success
I think he'd do really well when surrounded by strong forecheckers with good hockey IQ like Hansen or Burrows. When you put him with pure muckers or pure offensive players or guys who play like him, I think you start to see more glaring weaknesses

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We'll see the waiver group (Clendening, Baertschi) and probably Corrado.

I suspect they'll try and force Virtanen in there but based on what I'm seeing now he isn't even close.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Corrado, Cassels?

If we happened to have dealt Lack or Miller maybe Demko?

only Corrado has a shot. Shink will prob be #1 callup, the rest need more time. Gaunce is a healthy scratch for Utica the last few ganes,

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The non waiver eligible guy I think surprises and makes the cut is Shinkaruk. Benning loves guys that can shoot the puck and the team has a ton of playmakers, while lacking finishers. This will play right into Hunter's hands, as will the chemistry he's shown with Horvat in the past. Shinkaruk takes Kenins job on the 3rd line LW, while bumping the Latvian down to play opposite Dorsett on a physical, energy line.

Don't see Bieksa, Stanton or Higgins returning. Will open the door to run 3 youngsters down the left wing in Baertschi, Shinkaruk and Kenins. Moving Bieksa and Stanton will open up minutes for Weber, Corrado and Clendening - again upgrading the teams ability to shoot the puck.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
We'll see the waiver group (Clendening, Baertschi) and probably Corrado.

I suspect they'll try and force Virtanen in there but based on what I'm seeing now he isn't even close.

I haven't watched Virtanen play more than a handful of games, perception of where he is in terms of development seems to be all over the map.

Many have said that he's a men amongst boys and he'd benefit more from playing in the NHL. And, that he isn't given ample opportunity in Calgary. Others seem to think he isn't ready, they figure he has more to learn in juniors.

Virtanen has NHL level skating, shot, and physicality. Is that enough to leap frog him to this level?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad