Youth Injection - Who makes the cut?

Joey English

Apr 25, 2015
Newfoundland
I think Benning and Desjardins are going remain conducive to having more rookies on the team. I'd love to say one kid per year cracks the lineup, I think it's what's necessary to keep this team competitive in the Pacific.

Anyways, I wrote an article highlighting some possibilities. Who do you guys think is most likely to stay with the big club out of the ones I've suggested? Anyone more likely than either of them?

Here's the link: http://alongtheboards.com/2015/04/vancouver-canucks-time-youth-movement/

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I'm wondering if there'll be another Kenins-esque player who surprises a lot of people

I know it doesn't happen a lot
But is there maybe another player who could do that, in our system ?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It's a worthwhile question. I think Baertschi is more likely to make the team than any of the three you mentioned (Cassels, Shinkaruk, and Virtanen, for those who haven't read your article). I'd also bet on Corrado before those three, though I don't know if you meant to include the back end.

McNuck

Mar 6, 2014
I'm wondering if there'll be another Kenins-esque player who surprises a lot of people

I know it doesn't happen a lot
But is there maybe another player who could do that, in our system ?

Cole Cassels

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I expect at a minimum we'll have Horvat, Kenins, Baertschi, Virtanen, and Corrado as regulars next year (and Clendening on the roster). That's a minimum. I would also be happy if Shinkaruk earns a spot (and hope they would make a spot available to him rather than saying "oh he had a great camp but we're going to overcook him"), and not upset if we give a spot to one of Gaunce, McCann or Cassels assuming they earn it in camp.

SvenBaertschi

Not Sven Baerschi
Aug 19, 2012
Maybe Alex Grenier? hes quietly improving his game in Utica but lacking consistency. Grenier looks to have some "real good" skill though.

AirMinivan

Jul 3, 2009
Victoria, BC Canada
I expect at a minimum we'll have Horvat, Kenins, Baertschi, Virtanen, and Corrado as regulars next year (and Clendening on the roster). That's a minimum. I would also be happy if Shinkaruk earns a spot (and hope they would make a spot available to him rather than saying "oh he had a great camp but we're going to overcook him"), and not upset if we give a spot to one of Gaunce, McCann or Cassels assuming they earn it in camp.

A minimum? I don't know why Virtanen is getting penned in on everyone's rosters.

Horvat barely made the team out of camp and he had a far more polished game than Virtanen. He also had a much better draft +1 season.

Virtanen will likely only make the team if management is REALLY desperate to inject some youth (or to get him out of the hitmen system) , and if other guys like baertschi and kenins etc don't make the cut.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
A minimum? I don't know why Virtanen is getting penned in on everyone's rosters.

Horvat barely made the team out of camp and he had a far more polished game than Virtanen. He also had a much better draft +1 season.

Virtanen will likely only make the team if management is REALLY desperate to inject some youth (or to get him out of the hitmen system) , and if other guys like baertschi and kenins etc don't make the cut.

Because the Canucks need a youth movement, and I don't see what sending Virtanen back to Jr does to help his development.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Mainly depends on the directive from Linden and Benning. Desjardins was quoted earlier as saying that if the goal was to make the playoffs (this year) then he wasn't sure if there was room for a kid like Horvat (loosely paraphrasing). If the goal is the same next year, then you're right and Jake probably isn't on the team. But if Benning softens the "make playoffs at all costs" edict and instead pushes for more focus on youth and speed then I could definitely see all of Virtanen, Baertschi, Corrado, and Clendening in the line up next year. I think we'll have a much better idea by the draft if 1-2 vets are traded for picks.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Agreed with the first part. But keep in mind, just because you don't like Vey doesn't mean he's going anywhere, he'll be back next year. I don't think its a bad thing personally, let's see if he progresses any over this offseason. We spent a 2nd on him, if we don't see it through its terrible asset management.

Horvat, Kenins, Baertschi, Vey, Virtanen, and Kassian would be our young forwards in that situation. That leaves us essentially 7 forward spots left - Sedins, Vrbata, Burrows, Bonino, Dorsett, and one of Higgins/Hansen I guess?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Under 25s on the roster to start next season

Horvat
Kassian
Kenins
Baertschi
Vey
Corrado
Clendenning
Virtanen (9 games)

Possibles
Shinkaruk
Gaunce
Cassels

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Considering Willie D didn't even want Horvat on the team at the beginning of the year, I can't see too many rookies making it. JB will have to push for some of them to be on the roster.

I see Horvat, Kenins, Baertschi, Corrado. I don't see WD letting virtanen make it, but I hope he does.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Under 25s on the roster to start next season

Horvat
Kassian
Kenins
Baertschi
Vey
Corrado
Clendenning
Virtanen (9 games)

Possibles
Shinkaruk
Gaunce
Cassels

What d are we getting rid of to fit corrado and clendening into the mix?

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Baertschi will make it probably. But I think they will want one more player that is from Utica or junior. I think Virtanen, Cassels and McCann will all be fighting for a spot along with Gaunce.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Don't get your hopes up too high. I think Corrado should be on the team, not sure if he'll make given the log jam on D. Beartschi is a given, Kenins should be on the team, Horvat already is. I don't see Virtanen making it, Cassels is the dark horse.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
What d are we getting rid of to fit corrado and clendening into the mix?

Top seven
Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Corrado
Stanton Clendenning
Sbisa

Sbisa will probably slot in the top six but not if I were coach

Rarely does the team break camp with its top 7 healthy so Bieksa will probably slot in if he isnt traded or waived.

So to answer your question... Weber is gone. Bieksa possibly.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Don't get your hopes up too high. I think Corrado should be on the team, not sure if he'll make given the log jam on D. Beartschi is a given, Kenins should be on the team, Horvat already is. I don't see Virtanen making it, Cassels is the dark horse.

I think Virtanen will need more time in the juniors too but I think Benning is also pretty high on him and is going to try and give him every opportunity he can. I do see Cassels coming in and playing a chippy physical game which Benning will like. Anyways one of those 3 will make it for sure.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Mainly depends on the directive from Linden and Benning. Desjardins was quoted earlier as saying that if the goal was to make the playoffs (this year) then he wasn't sure if there was room for a kid like Horvat (loosely paraphrasing). If the goal is the same next year, then you're right and Jake probably isn't on the team. But if Benning softens the "make playoffs at all costs" edict and instead pushes for more focus on youth and speed then I could definitely see all of Virtanen, Baertschi, Corrado, and Clendening in the line up next year. I think we'll have a much better idea by the draft if 1-2 vets are traded for picks.

Barring a guy like Bieksa getting dealt; Canucks won't really have alot of choice but to go with a 'youth movement' because of cap considerations.

Can end up being good or bad depending on how the rookies react to the "baptism of fire" method.

Seeing Baertschi on a line with Bonino and Vrbata in the last couple of games you'd think that would be a line heading into next season.
I'd like to see Horvat get a good look as the 2nd line center. Bonino didn't look all that bad defensively this past season IMHO - bump him down to #3.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Corrado, Cassels?

If we happened to have dealt Lack or Miller maybe Demko?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad