Proposal: You're the new Habs GM!

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
- Shut down Price.
- Trade Gilbert, Weise, Desharnais, Byron, Fleischmann, DSP for whatever we can. (Draft pick/Prospect)
- Draft top 5, bring the kid to the NHL.
- Sign Kovalchuck + 1 or 2 depth signing.
- Fire Therrien, let's wait to see who will be available by then

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Top pick - Galchenyuk - Kovalchuk
Hudon - Eller - McCarron
DLR - Mitchell - Flynn

Beaulieu - Subban
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Pateryn
Barbiero

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
By shutting down Price you are committing to a tank for the rest of the season. Plus, giving him more time than needed to heal helps insure that he will stay healed and doesn't reaggravate anything.

You think Price would accept to be "shut down" if he's ready to come back? What type of player/teammates would that make him?

And why giving anyone "more time than needed" to heal? You're healed, or you're not. And what's the logic behind "reaggravating" something if it is healed?

"shutting down" means nothing. A player is in a healing process, period. If he's healed and ready, than he plays. If he's not, then he doesn't play.

You want him to stop rehabbing while it is the correct way to heal properly?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'll try to keep it as realistic as possible;

1. Renew the coaching staff. We need new ideas and philosophies out there. Though I don't think the current debacle is on Therrien at all.

2. Trade Markov to Washington for Tom Wilson. Add assets if need be.

3. Trade Galchenyuk to Edmonton for the injured RNH.

4. Let Price sit for the rest of the season and sell Desharnais, Weise, Fleischmann, Flynn, Byron and Gilbert. Make young guys play.

5. Go ahead and sign Dan Hamhuis in the offseason to a 2 years contract worth 8.5M. Sign Mikkel Boedker to a 5 years contract worth 25M. If you can't get Boedker, you sign Perron to a 1 year "prove me" contract.

Trade Galchenyuk to go with youngsters.

LOLOLOLOL!!

bbob

Nov 27, 2015
^^^

Anyone saying trade galchenyuk don't know what they are talking about!!! Especially for a player that gets injured and hasn't done much cause rnh is a less skilled galchenyuk and chucks has a higher scoring ceiling, which chucks has bettered his points each year with limited time being held back with ALOT less talented players then rnh has

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You think Price would accept to be "shut down" if he's ready to come back? What type of player/teammates would that make him?

And why giving anyone "more time than needed" to heal? You're healed, or you're not. And what's the logic behind "reaggravating" something if it is healed?

"shutting down" means nothing. A player is in a healing process, period. If he's healed and ready, than he plays. If he's not, then he doesn't play.

You want him to stop rehabbing while it is the correct way to heal properly?

Yeah it's very bizarre that people expect a GM can shut down a player. If it's a question of surgery vs rehab then you can push for surgery but since none of us are doctors or have the medical facts it's just a nonsensical claim/plan.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I don't think it's fair to say RNH has less skill than Galchenyuk. They are different players for sure, and I think RNH is definitely the better overall player right now with better vision than Galchy (although the Gretzky vision comments still make me chuckle).

That being said, his injury history is a bit concerning, no doubt about it.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I got bored and decided to play this game again today.

1) Trade for Drouin
2) Trade Plekanec and Desharnais (hopefully get a decent future for Plekanec, and whatever for DD)
3) Draft whichever of Laine, Tkachuk, or Puljujarvi makes it to us at 5th overall
4) Sign Stamkos for 10.5 and Loui Eriksson for 6.5
5) Re-Sign Byron, DSP, and Carr to 1M contracts.

Even Strength
Pacioretty - Stamkos - Gallagher
Drouin - Galchenyuk - Eriksson
Carr - Eller - McCarron
DLR - Mitchell - Byron
Dumont - DSP

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Barberio
Pateryn

Price
Condon

Powerplay

Stamkos - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Markov - Subban

Pacioretty - Drouin - McCarron
Beaulieu - Petry

Penalty Kill

Eller - Eriksson
Beaulieu - Subban

Mitchell - Byron
Barberio - Petry

Total Cap = 73.5 Million

/daydream

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
How funny is this if you think about it, that's the team that were 2 wins away from the Finals 2 years ago
Kings missed the playoffs last year after winning the Cup the year before.

Ducks have nose dived this year (although they are playing better of late).

For the most part, there is not a big gap between top and bottom in the league (like the Hawks losing 5-0 to Carolina this week).

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Trade Pleky or Markov for a 1e round pick.
With 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks,select 2 big center(Dubois,McCleod,Laberge),1 RW and 1 left defense.

In 2-3 years:Pacc-Dubois-Okposo
Galchy-Laberge-Gally
Hudon/Lekonen-McCarron-Sherbak
Lessio/Carr-DLR-Grégoire/Vejdemo

draft -Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Barberio-Juulsen
Ellis-Pateryn

Price-Condon

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I'll play the realistic version of this.

First off, I rest Price the whole year, I tell him it's a lost year and we'd rather have him at 100pct next year

Then I try to flip players for picks Plekanec might get a late first, I'd pull the trigger, Markov won't even get a second at this point, not with how he's played, his salary and the extra year, I'd still move him for a 3rd or so.

That's it, there's no point going for Drouin, Fleischmann won't bring in much, if I get a 6th for him, why not. Desharnais has zero value, Weise could be shopped for a 4th or so, why not.

BigMacAttack*

Nov 15, 2015
Tank for Laine, sign Kovy if he comes back and we should be good.

Kovalchuck-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Patches-McCarron(or Plek but I rather trade him)-Laine

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Even Strength
Pacioretty - Stamkos - Gallagher

I do agree, of course, that this is very interesting talent wise. But strangely, I think such a line would be non-functional. Because there is absolutely no passer on that line. Both Stamkos and Max Pac need someone to put the puck on their stick. Of course Gallagher can pass, but he's playing like a grinder, therefore his passes are mainly a secondary asset. I mean, it is very rarely because of one of his pass that the play is opening up.

It does can work if the team has clearly above average passers on D, but right now, I would say it is not enough to make this line work great.

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
Sorry, not a Hab fan or so. I can understand that you want to tank and want to trade Markov, at least some of you. But wouldnt it be nice to see him retire as a Hab player instead? I mean, is it 16 seasons he's been there?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Sorry, not a Hab fan or so. I can understand that you want to tank and want to trade Markov, at least some of you. But wouldnt it be nice to see him retire as a Hab player instead? I mean, is it 16 seasons he's been there?

He can do what Alfredsson or Regehr did. If we can get something for him we may as well do it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
For sure moving Markov to a serious contender is something that has to be considered. Habs young players will be in high demand- Galchenyuk and Beaulieu mostly. Other than that I don't see anything on the roster that can be dumped to an intelligent GM.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
For sure moving Markov to a serious contender is something that has to be considered. Habs young players will be in high demand- Galchenyuk and Beaulieu mostly. Other than that I don't see anything on the roster that can be dumped to an intelligent GM.

Plekanec would contribute in a middle-six role to a cup contender, no doubt. I just don't think there are many that are in a position to take on a $6m cap hit for the next two seasons.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I do agree, of course, that this is very interesting talent wise. But strangely, I think such a line would be non-functional. Because there is absolutely no passer on that line. Both Stamkos and Max Pac need someone to put the puck on their stick. Of course Gallagher can pass, but he's playing like a grinder, therefore his passes are mainly a secondary asset. I mean, it is very rarely because of one of his pass that the play is opening up.

It does can work if the team has clearly above average passers on D, but right now, I would say it is not enough to make this line work great.

There might not be a pure passer on the line, but with that much talent, I'm fairly certain they would be able to find each other and have plenty of success.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Then I try to flip players for picks Plekanec might get a late first, I'd pull the trigger, Markov won't even get a second at this point, not with how he's played, his salary and the extra year, I'd still move him for a 3rd or so.

I'm all for moving Plekanec, but there needs to be an immediate solution to the hole his absence will put into the lineup. The Habs best shot to win a cup is before Price's contract is extended. If Plekanec is moved, there had better be a plan for replacing him immediately.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Okay, here I go :

1. Trade DD and Gilbert for picks only, if possible.

2. Talk to Price and see if he is okay with sitting out the season, and hopefully it is a yes. Otherwise he gets platooned with Condon as much as possible, meaning not to tick Price off.

3. Sit down with MT for a chat. Whether DD was traded or not, the centers are Galchenyuk, Pleks and Eller. The young guys are getting played, as many as possible. Pateryn, Ghetto, Carr, Hudon, McCarron , Fucale for an away game, and even Scherbak for a game after he gets some more games in the AHL.

4. Day after season is over every coach at NHL and AHL level is fired , except for Waite.

5. Hire a coach who will do well with developing young players ( who unlike MT will think it is part of his job ) and who will skillful play as part of the game plan. ie no more grind. Ask him what he thinks of Robinson as an assistant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad