Proposal: You're the new Habs GM!

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
-Fire Therrien immediately. He doesn't deserve to finish the season. Replace with best coach available, off season, regardless of his native language.

-Shut down Price and highly recommend surgery. That knee needs to be fixed properly.

-Acquire Steven Stamkos (trade or FA).

-Trade for and resign Ladd or JVR

-Trade away Eller, Desharnais, DSP, Gilbert, and Emelin for picks and prospects

Pacioretty-Stamkos-Gallagher
Ladd/JVR-Galchenyuk-McCarron
Fleishmann-Plekanec-Weise
Flynn-Mitchell-Carr
Byron

Beaulieu-Subban
Barbario-Petry
Markov-Pateryn

Price
Condon

Give me 2 more and;
-Sign Markov to an off ice, front office contract.
-Sign a FA Dman to replace Markov

Who would you have traded for Ladd/JVR?

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
To preface: I get the call after 3 more weeks of losing 90% of our games. Molson calls out of the blue after seeing my HFboards posts, I respond "I've been waiting for your call" from my dark room, put down the phone, slide down the fireman pole I had put in (at extreme cost), I then get on the greyhound (had to sell my car for the structural work related to the aforementioned fireman pole) and have 6.5 hours to make calls: ___________________________________________________________________

FIRST:

:stars

Andrei Markov
2016 2nd Rnd Pick (Minn)

:habs

Valerei Nischuskin (Nuke)
2016 3rd Rnd Pick

:bolts

Nathan Beaulieu
Sven Andrighetto

Jonathan Drouin - I'll take talent over personality anyday

:sharks

Scrivens, Gilbert

2016 - 5th Round Pick
2016 - Cond. 4th round pick (Conference Finals)

:caps

David Desharnais

2016 - 3rd Round Pick

Sign the best top 6 FA winger available from:

Okposo, Eriksson, Ladd

Sign the best LHD available from:

Hamhuis, Goligoski

Next season:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Okposo
Drouin-Plekanec-Gallagher
Nuke-Eller-Weise
Flynn-Mitchell/McCarron-Carr

Hamhuis-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Barberio-Pateryn

Last edited:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Who would you have traded for Ladd/JVR?

Picks and prospects.
Neither TO nor the Peg would want roster players back.
JVR would be the best choice, younger, but might not be able to wrangle him out of TO.
If you sign Stamkos FA, then we still have our 1st, 2 2nds, etc...
If we trade for Stamkos, we use whats left.
Point is, both Stamkos and JVR are young enough to fit our window perfectly, and we still get to move some young guns up, (McCarron, Carr), and regardless of how much we like to through our hockey cards around on here thinking we know what we are doing, most trades don't cost anywhere near as much as what we seem to think they will.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
most trades don't cost anywhere near as much as what we seem to think they will.

Sorry, but that sentence is "impossible to compute". A trade is one thing versus another, so how can we say that they cost much, or cost little??

They are TRADES. What is much on one side would be little on the other, no?

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
Tank plan:

1. Try to trade everyone not named price, subban or pacioretty for whatever we can get
2. Go aggressively after young players like drouin, yakupov, rychel, atkinson in the trade market
3. Get a pmd(yandle comes to mind) either in the off-season or thru trade
4. Shut Price down for the year and have him go thru the proper treatment to get redy for next year
5. offer stamkos 10m/yr if he becomes available in the off-season
6. hire boucher/crawford as coach during off-season with robinson as assistant
7. offer kovalev position as special skills coach to help young players futher develop their skills

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
scratch that...

seeing as Molson is an absentee boss, if I was named new Habs GM...

1- hire all of my buddies for various roles in the organization
2- as soon as we win 2-3 games in a row, sign all of them to long-term extensions beyond their initial contracts
3- hire the best tailors & personal grooming assistants i can find, have then hired on staff
4- sign a bunch of endorsement deals and start doing some serious advertising work
5- buy a PS4 and get my gaming on

#Bargainbinplaybook

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Here me out....

1. Fire Therrien and his assistants including Lefebvre in AHL, Martin Lapointe, Scott Mellaby.
2. Fire my assistant GMs in place Bergervin's regime.
2. Fire Trevor Timmins and his scouts.
3. Hire a new coach, hire Larry Robinson as consultant.
4. Hire Chicago's head scout
5. Keep Stephanie Waite
-----------------------------------------------------

6. Trade Markov, Plekanec, Desharnais, Gilbert, DSP, Fleischmann, Scrivens for prospects and draft picks.
7. Trade Nathan Beaulieu and Sven Andrighetto for Jonathan Drouin.
8. If we don't pick 1st overall, trade our top 5 and some picks to move up to #1 overall.
9. Draft Auston Matthews.
10. Sign Andrew Ladd to $6 mil/5 yrs
11. Sign David Backes to $6 mil/4 yrs
12. Sign Brian Campbell $3.5 mil/2 yrs
13. Sign Matt Bartkowski $2 mil/2 yrs
14. Trade Eller to CLB for Dalton Prout and 2nd round pick.
-------------------------------------

Pacioretty ($4.5m) - Backes ($6m) - Gallagher ($3.75m) =$14.25m
Galchenyuk ($2.8m) - Matthews ($975k) - Drouin ($894k) = $4.67m
Ladd ($6m) - Mitchell ($1.2m) - Weise ($2m) = $9.2m
Carr ($842k) - deLaRose ($925k) - Flynn ($950k) =$2.71m
Scherbak/McCarron ($894k) = $1.78m

Forwards: $32.61m

Campbell ($3.5m) - Subban ($9m) = $12.5m
Emelin ($4.2m) - Petry ($5.5m) = $9.7m
Bartkowski ($2m) - Prout ($1m) = $3m
Pateryn ($800k)

Defense: $26m

Price ($6.5m)
Condon ($575k)

Goalies: $7.07m

Total: $65.68m (cap $71.4 million) probably use some to retain Markov/Plekanec in trades.

I'm not aiming for top players as they may or may not work out and we don't want to be stuck with $10 mil player. I like leadership players, playoff players, physical players, fast skating players. Backes, Ladd, Campbell, Bartkowski, Prout, to some extent Drouin. Mostly the three Backes/Ladd/Campbell will change the dynamic of this team toward a North American style (no offense to Markov/Plekanec/Eller).

I think Pacioretty-Backes-Gallagher line will work because we all know Patches is a perimeter shooter now, Backes and Gallgher will find those dirty goals in front of the net. Backes wins about 54-55% faceoffs.

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Drouin line is a mystery line. Matthews (if we get him) is an excellent playmaker, Galchenyuk loves to snipe and Drouin is highly skilled. If Drouin doesn't work out, we try Ladd-Matthews-Galchenyuk. If we don't get Matthews, its Drouin-Galchenyuk-Top5 pick (Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk). If we don't get Drouin, then Ladd-Galchenyuk-Top5 pick (Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk).

Ladd-Mitchell-Weise line is an expensive 3rd line. I love Ladd's game, he can play top 6 or bottom 6. I like his leadership, along with Backes/Campbell will change this team's dynamic). Weise can chip in 10 goals.

Carr-deLaRose-Flynn line will surprise us. Carr isn't really a 4th liner but he'll get his chance to play top 6, or on 3rd line. DLR-Flynn bring size, speed and defensive game.

Campbell-Subban unlike Markov, Campbell can still skate and with his age, I think some teams will overlook and we can get discount at $3.5m. Campbell is still a very good passer and Subban would love that 1-timer play with Campbell.

Emelin-Petry well I think they play very well together.

Bartkowski-Prout is new, Bart can move the puck well and Prout is a big stay at home defenseman. If he doesn't work out Pateryn moves in. Low risk high reward bottom guys.

Price-Condon well if Price is health, he will carry this team.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Here me out....

1. Fire Therrien and his assistants including Lefebvre in AHL, Martin Lapointe, Scott Mellaby.
2. Fire my assistant GMs in place Bergervin's regime.
2. Fire Trevor Timmins and his scouts.
3. Hire a new coach, hire Larry Robinson as consultant.
4. Hire Chicago's head scout
5. Keep Stephanie Waite
-----------------------------------------------------

6. Trade Markov, Plekanec, Desharnais, Gilbert, DSP, Fleischmann, Scrivens for prospects and draft picks.
7. Trade Nathan Beaulieu and Sven Andrighetto for Jonathan Drouin.
8. If we don't pick 1st overall, trade our top 5 and some picks to move up to #1 overall.
9. Draft Auston Matthews.
10. Sign Andrew Ladd to $6 mil/5 yrs
11. Sign David Backes to $6 mil/4 yrs
12. Sign Brian Campbell $3.5 mil/2 yrs
13. Sign Matt Bartkowski $2 mil/2 yrs
14. Trade Eller to CLB for Dalton Prout and 2nd round pick.
-------------------------------------

Pacioretty ($4.5m) - Backes ($6m) - Gallagher ($3.75m) =$14.25m
Galchenyuk ($2.8m) - Matthews ($975k) - Drouin ($894k) = $4.67m
Ladd ($6m) - Mitchell ($1.2m) - Weise ($2m) = $9.2m
Carr ($842k) - deLaRose ($925k) - Flynn ($950k) =$2.71m
Scherbak/McCarron ($894k) = $1.78m

Forwards: $32.61m

Campbell ($3.5m) - Subban ($9m) = $12.5m
Emelin ($4.2m) - Petry ($5.5m) = $9.7m
Bartkowski ($2m) - Prout ($1m) = $3m
Pateryn ($800k)

Defense: $26m

Price ($6.5m)
Condon ($575k)

Goalies: $7.07m

Total: $65.68m (cap $71.4 million) probably use some to retain Markov/Plekanec in trades.

I'm not aiming for top players as they may or may not work out and we don't want to be stuck with $10 mil player. I like leadership players, playoff players, physical players, fast skating players. Backes, Ladd, Campbell, Bartkowski, Prout, to some extent Drouin. Mostly the three Backes/Ladd/Campbell will change the dynamic of this team toward a North American style (no offense to Markov/Plekanec/Eller).

I think Pacioretty-Backes-Gallagher line will work because we all know Patches is a perimeter shooter now, Backes and Gallgher will find those dirty goals in front of the net. Backes wins about 54-55% faceoffs.

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Drouin line is a mystery line. Matthews (if we get him) is an excellent playmaker, Galchenyuk loves to snipe and Drouin is highly skilled. If Drouin doesn't work out, we try Ladd-Matthews-Galchenyuk. If we don't get Matthews, its Drouin-Galchenyuk-Top5 pick (Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk). If we don't get Drouin, then Ladd-Galchenyuk-Top5 pick (Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk).

Ladd-Mitchell-Weise line is an expensive 3rd line. I love Ladd's game, he can play top 6 or bottom 6. I like his leadership, along with Backes/Campbell will change this team's dynamic). Weise can chip in 10 goals.

Carr-deLaRose-Flynn line will surprise us. Carr isn't really a 4th liner but he'll get his chance to play top 6, or on 3rd line. DLR-Flynn bring size, speed and defensive game.

Campbell-Subban unlike Markov, Campbell can still skate and with his age, I think some teams will overlook and we can get discount at $3.5m. Campbell is still a very good passer and Subban would love that 1-timer play with Campbell.

Emelin-Petry well I think they play very well together.

Bartkowski-Prout is new, Bart can move the puck well and Prout is a big stay at home defenseman. If he doesn't work out Pateryn moves in. Low risk high reward bottom guys.

Price-Condon well if Price is health, he will carry this team.

Started hearing you out. Stopped at the bolded parts because it turned into too much unrealistic fantasy.

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Tank the rest of the season. Draft Juolevi or Chychrun depending on where our pick is and whoever our staff feels is the most NHL ready.

Fire Therrien and bring in Boucher.

Trade: Byron (CGY should be interested), Flash (sure a team like CAR could use him), Gilbert @ 50%, DSP and Weise if he wants more than 6M/3 years. Markov for Moen (cap dump), N. Ritchie and a conditional pick (if the Stars make it to the conference finals it's a 3rd, if the Stars makes it to the SCF it's a 2nd).

Trade DD to a team who needs to reach the cap floor.

Sign Boedker for 5 years @ 5.25M/year. Sign Hamhuis for 3 years at 4.75M.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Boedker - Plekanec - Ritchie
Hudon - Eller - Weise or McCarron
DLR or Lessio - Mitchell - Flynn

Hamhuis - Subban
Beaulieu - Petry
Juolevi/Chychrun - Pateryn

Price
Condon

bbob

Nov 27, 2015
Realistic look of team come next year that is highly improved and a great cap hit for years.

Boedker/?(Laine top3 pick) - Couture - Gallagher
Boedker/ pick - galchenyuk - nitchuskin

Brodin - pk
Beaulieu - petry

Price - Condon (great duo, Condon has been great and could be #1 . on other trams)

Dream: given Habs get 1st overall, keep Mathews as #1 C who can go into team right away and build around ex: add Brodin and Boedker to fix top 6 & LD. Or trade #1overall to arz for their home bhoy, which I would do for a package for
Strome, oel, 1st - 1st overall, sherback, julsen or Beaulieu (if they want)...... sign boedker as Ufa or include him in trade and drop a 1st. Obviously add picks or other prospects(not mac) to get deal done. Would give big mac if needed to get deal dome.

Patches - Strome - Gallagher
Boedker- galchenyuk - ghetto(nitchuskin would be ideal)

Oel - pk
Beau/ ? - petry

Price - Condon

Alain Vigneault as coach

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
I go back in time to the 2012 draft and trade Plekanec to Washington for Filip Forsberg, and commit to a full rebuild instead of delaying the inevitable by trying to create a competitive team without having a plan, or the prospects to fill the holes in our roster.

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
We don't have a Toews, Galchenyuk will eventually fill that role and do it well but he's not Toews. Patch approximates Kane (or fills that role anyway), but he's not Kane. PK and Keith are pretty even. We have PRICE, but Crawford is also excellent in tight.

We have to make up for that with depth, a trade or two but not surrender assets unless it makes a difference, a UFA or two.

I agree with the direction Bergevin is going in.

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
heres a few trades i made in my mock draft (the other GM's are supposed to be experienced GM's)

To Nashville: Lars Eller, Martin Reway
To Montreal: Calle Jarnkrok, Barret Jackman, Justin Kirkland, Alexandre Carrier

big fan of Jarnkrok. hes already a cheap, elite 4C and imo he has a TON of upside, could easily end up being a 40 point 3C and hes super solid defensively. Jackman was kind of a cap dump but i still like him alot as a bottom pairing LHD, good vet presence. Kirkland and Carrier are 2 prospects that i like, i dont see a future for Reway in the NHL, too 1 dimensional

To NY Islanders: Max Pacioretty, Tomas Plekanec, Devante Smith-Pelley, Alexei Emelin
To Montreal: Brock Nelson, Anders Lee, Nick Leddy, Calvin de Haan, 23rd Overall

i broke down the trade like this:

Plek for NYI's 1st (#23 OA, picked Rasmus Asplund)
or you can have it as Plek for Brock Nelson

Pacioretty for Brock Nelson, Anders Lee, Nick Leddy, Calvin de Haan.. 4 extremely good young players. Lee is a great possession player, so is Nelson, both are 2nd/3rd line players already. Leddy is a young, top pairing LHD, even tho he hasnt had the best season so far. De Haan is a young, defensively solid #3.

DSP and Emelin are worthless, was happy to get rid of Emelin's contract.

to Montreal: Kevin Hayes
to New York: Noah Juulsen, Torrey Mitchell, Det's 4th, MTL's 6th, MTL's 7th (2017)

pretty much Juulsen for Hayes. Hayes is a big, strong center that has a ton of upisde, he's the exact type of center that we've been looking for.

Last edited:

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Tank plan:

1. Try to trade everyone not named price, subban or pacioretty for whatever we can get
2. Go aggressively after young players like drouin, yakupov, rychel, atkinson in the trade market
3. Get a pmd(yandle comes to mind) either in the off-season or thru trade
4. Shut Price down for the year and have him go thru the proper treatment to get redy for next year
5. offer stamkos 10m/yr if he becomes available in the off-season
6. hire boucher/crawford as coach during off-season with robinson as assistant
7. offer kovalev position as special skills coach to help young players futher develop their skills

I read things like the bold part quite often these days. Who said he isn't receiving the proper treatment right now? What does "shut him down" means if what he's doing right now is part of the healing process? How come some many posters here seems to know better than Habs' medics? There are so much assumptions about Price's injury without knowing ANY facts.

And if he ends up clear to play in let's say 4-5 weeks, why on earth Price should accept to not play because Habs don't want him to? Playing hockey is his life. That's what he likes. Sure he will play.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
I read things like the bold part quite often these days. Who said he isn't receiving the proper treatment right now? What does "shut him down" means if what he's doing right now is part of the healing process? How come some many posters here seems to know better than Habs' medics? There are so much assumptions about Price's injury without knowing ANY facts.

And if he ends up clear to play in let's say 4-5 weeks, why on earth Price should accept to not play because Habs don't want him to? Playing hockey is his life. That's what he likes. Sure he will play.

By shutting down Price you are committing to a tank for the rest of the season. Plus, giving him more time than needed to heal helps insure that he will stay healed and doesn't reaggravate anything.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'll try to keep it as realistic as possible;

1. Renew the coaching staff. We need new ideas and philosophies out there. Though I don't think the current debacle is on Therrien at all.

2. Trade Markov to Washington for Tom Wilson. Add assets if need be.

3. Trade Galchenyuk to Edmonton for the injured RNH.

4. Let Price sit for the rest of the season and sell Desharnais, Weise, Fleischmann, Flynn, Byron and Gilbert. Make young guys play.

5. Go ahead and sign Dan Hamhuis in the offseason to a 2 years contract worth 8.5M. Sign Mikkel Boedker to a 5 years contract worth 25M. If you can't get Boedker, you sign Perron to a 1 year "prove me" contract.

Your 2016-2017 starting lineup:

Pacioretty - Nugent-Hopkins - Wilson
Boedker/Perron - Plekanec - Gallagher
Hudon - Eller - Carr
De La Rose - Mitchell - McCarron

Hamhuis - Subban
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn

Price
Condon

along with a great amount of picks and prospects.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
fire Therrien
fire JJ
trade DD with Markov and a pick for a proven top 6, goal scorer. with grit
Chucky = second line Center permanently with even playing time on 1st and 2nd line PP.
hire the best coach available based on experience, record, resume, talent.
replace JJ with someone who has actual knowledge and experience on how a PP works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad