Proposal: You're the new Habs GM!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would only say "It's all on me" and revisit the whole thing 4 years from now.

cedouimet

Aug 3, 2005
id start by sayin "j'ai un plan quinquenal!"

this way im garanteed a 5years job...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1. Buy a new suit
2. Play EA NHL on my playstation
3. Vehemently deny the existence of trades.
4. Openly admit I will not do what my job requires of me and say I'm proud of that.
5. Visit foxhole with Therrien.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
1. Fire Therrien at the end of the season and Lacroix/JJD immediately. Replace them with Ramsay. Also, I'd remove Lebfevre and replace him with the best possible Q coach I can find after interviews. Replace Therrien with Boucher and Robinson, let Boucher choose his other assistant.
2. Shut down Price for the rest of the year so he can properly heal and the team knows he isn't coming back. This should help with the tank, and hopefully end up with a top 3 pick. Assuming it works, I take Laine/Puljarjvi with my pick.
3. Trade/Waive Desharnais - send him to the minors if I have to.
4. Unload as many soon to be UFA's as possible and Smith-Pelly if I can find a suitor. Give kids from the AHL team a chance to play the rest of the year out to evaluate what I have.
5. Trade Beaulieu for Drouin. I try to sign Yandle and Boedkker in the off-season.

Next year I start the season with this line up:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Boedkker
Drouin-Plekanec-Gallagher
Hudon-Eller-Laine
De La Rose-Mitchell-McCarron

Yandle-Subban
Markov-Petry
Emelin-Pateryn

Price
Condon

The RW depth would be 10 fold what it is now and the LW is deeper than it is now. But, with Galchenyuk given the chance to flourish and given capable wingers I see him really taking off which would be the ultimate difference. Plekanec can relax into a 2C role with less pressure to produce, which usually leads to him producing more.

The defense is weaker with Beaulieu gone, but I think Yandle could be had for cheap after his weak season this year, and playing Subban could revive him. Markov starts with Petry, but could be moved if they find something mid season to replace him or he can move down. I'd re-sign Barbario and maybe he could slide into that role, hard to tell. Also, having Price back for the year covers warts in this defensive corps in their own zone, but I believe they will produce much more offense.

Obviously a lot of ifs and buts, but this team would be a lot better than what we have now.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
1. Open a slush fund account.
2. Sell non-core veterans for the most I can get.
3. Hire a popular Quebec stop-gap coach with serious limitations in IQ & tactics.
4. Sign plumbers and grinders to replace non-core veterans.
5. Ice a mediocre team and funnel a portion of the profits to my slush fund.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
1. Do not panic.
2. Read Hfboards, Start Panicking!
3. Take a deep breath
4. Start proposal on the trade boards.
5. Feed insiders with fake rumours.

Adam Spylo

Feb 26, 2012
1. Fire Therrien
2. Shut down Price for this season.
3. Trade Markov, Weise, Gilbert, Flynn, DSP, Fleischman and one of Eller or Desharnais for picks and prospects.
4. Sign a coach who trusts our young players. (Promote Galchenyuk to first line with Pacioretty and Gallagher, give Carr, Andrighetto, Hudon and Pateryn more games)
5. Sign either Ladd or Eriksson as 2nd line left winger and Yandle as d-man in the off-season.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Ladd/Eriksson - Plekanec - Andrighetto/Carr
Hudon - Desharnais/Eller - McCarron
DLR - Mitchell - Carr/Andrighetto/FA signing
Scherbak, Holloway

Beaulieu - Subban
Yandle - Petry
Emelin - Pateryn
Barberio

Price
Condon
Fucale

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
1. Start a search for a new amateur scouting director. In my opinion,this is one of the most important positions in the organization, even moreso than the head coach. The scouting dept is providing talent to the team and bargaining chips in trade. The more the better and over the last 8 years they have not found enough NHL players. Allow the new director, who should be one of the better scouts in the game, to rework/replace the dept as they see fit.

2. Find a legitimate successor as head coach and install him either as the head coach in St John's or as an assistant in Montreal. As Michael Farber has said, there is no succession plan in place at the moment.

3.Try to trade anyone who doesn't fit into next years plans and beyond. This organization has let too many guys walk for nothing July 1st.

4.Try to identify any lockerroom issues that are effecting team chemistry. This may or may not be an issue, don't know.

5.Give Youppi a raise.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
1- I trade veterans that will never give me more than right now, for, in order of preference:
  • Young NHL players ready to perform, with upside (since the core is in the cup window, getting such players is better than trading for Picks)
  • Picks
  • Suspects with upside
  • Depth players who bring things nobody brings on the team and in the pipeline

2- I try aggressively to get a real and established #1C, even if it means to overpay, even if he's a bit old.

3- I asked the amateur scouting department to present their assessment of the situation, and their action plan to get better.

4- Same than for #3, but for the Players' development.

5- I change the whole management team and coaching staff at St-John's

6- I start meeting some potential head coaches for Habs, informaly, while I tell myself that I give MT 20 games in 2016-17 to show how he manages the new group.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hire post-game 690 caller "Joe", to keep me as new GM, honest. :sarcasm:

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
-Update my wardrobe with suits that are one-size too small
-Bolster relations with other GM's to the point where it's questionable if I am too friendly to be competitive with them.
-Be seen to be one of the most active GM's in the league.
-Establish and uphold a ridiculous code of conduct to the point where it's confusing as to whether or not I am running a hockey club or a society of knights.
-Do the league a favour
-Become VP of NHL player conduct.
-Take-out Bettman
-Become Czar of hockey

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
-Update my wardrobe with suits that are one-size too small
-Bolster relations with other GM's to the point where it's questionable if I am too friendly to be competitive with them.
-Be seen to be one of the most active GM's in the league.
-Establish and uphold a ridiculous code of conduct to the point where it's confusing as to whether or not I am running a hockey club or a society of knights.

That bolded part is pure gold. :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can I be Special Assistant Assistant General Manager?

Why not? We need to hire HF friends. Also, three months from now, I'll jump the gun and grant you an extension. Molson rubber stamps everything, no worries. :handclap:

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Why not? We need to hire HF friends. Also, three months from now, I'll jump the gun and grant you an extension. Molson rubber stamps everything, no worries. :handclap:

and when things will start falling apart, you can always swap the two and have Special Assistant Assistant General Manager to do Special Assistant General Manager's job and vice versa.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
With my new role with the organization, I won't have much time to troll Sean Campbell on the Delmar post-game show. I may need an assistant to help me with that.

I suggest Ollie Williams as my Assistant to the Special Assistant General Manager.

Make sure the assistant is one of our friends.

and when things will start falling apart, you can always swap the two and have Special Assistant Assistant General Manager to do Special Assistant General Manager's job and vice versa.

The infamous Dan Lacroix rule. Bait and switch.

Both of you have been paying attention -- Molson's negligence shall be our ally.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
1) Remove Desharnais.

I'd explore the trade market. If nothing I would waive him and send him to the Ice Dogs.

2) I would call up Hudon to replace Desharnais in the lineup.

I would leave the decision to the coach whether to use him as a center or move Galchenyuk back to center.

3) I would make a major push for Drouin.

Beaulieu plus Scherbak plus a 2nd

4) I would sell at the deadline. Weise and Gilbert gone. Flynn for future considerations or a late pick.

5) I would actually keep Therrien around for the remainder of the season. Then I would fire/promote him out of the coaching position for the remainder of his contract.

6) Aggressive in the offseason specifically UFA day.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
1. fire MT
2. make the interim coach, make DD the 3rd line centre, no chance he plays more minutes then AG
3. sell sell sell
4. markov and plecs should be shopped hard!

and then tell everyone i have a 5 year plan, get some hair gel, do my hair,buy 30 new suits,
and do nothing again.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
1. Shut down Price for the rest of the season. If he needs surgery make him get it immediately. We are tanking the rest of the season.

2. Begin to look into selling off some vets and impending UFAs in time for the deadline. Get as many picks as possible.

3. At the end of an awful season fire almost the entire coaching staff except for Waite. Bring in Boucher. The same goes for the AHL staff.

4. Draft a good prospect with a top 10 pick (Matthews, Laine or Puljujärvi if we win a lottery spot)

5. Make a big run at Stamkos or another top 6 forward in free agency. Trade for another one.

Get rid of Desharnais by any means necessary somewhere throughout there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad