You're the GM and Coach

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Question for you ppl picking Jensen.

If Mick wasnt MOD.. for him and he wasnt a righty.. would you still have him on this roster?.. i cannot see a chance in hell you can say yes.. he's a cute little prospect but there's no chance he is ready.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gibby

Apr 29, 2010
London, ON
For Oct 9?
Franzen - Zetterberg - Jurco
Nyquist - Weiss - Tatar
Helm - Sheahan - Abdelkader
Miller - Glendening - Ferraro
Andersson, Nestrasil

Kronwall - Smith
Ouellet - DeKeyser
Ericsson - Jensen
Quincey

Howard
Mrazek

If we were healthy Oct 9?
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Jurco
Nyquist - Franzen - Alfredsson
Helm - Sheahan - Tatar
Abdelkader - Andersson - Glendening
Nestrasil, Ferraro

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

If Mick wasnt balls deep for him and he wasnt a righty.. would you still have him on this roster?.. i cannot see a chance in hell you can say yes.. he's a cute little prospect but there's no chance he is ready.

He's looked like one of our best D in the majority of games he has played in. Not really saying a lot with who we currently have on our roster, but his skill set and RH shot just make him that much more important to the team IMO.

Won't matter because he is waiver exempt.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

If Mick wasnt for him and he wasnt a righty.. would you still have him on this roster?.. i cannot see a chance in hell you can say yes.. he's a cute little prospect but there's no chance he is ready.

He looked pretty good in his games. None of our defensive prospects have a whole bunch of NHL games to look at as a body of work. At most they have some AHL games.

And of course him being a righty adds to his worth. Why shouldn't it? We lack then. Don't we have only one on the entire team? That's atrocious.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
I was very tempted to put Helm with 13 and 40 rather than Abby. But at the end of the day I went with the thought that Helm has a bigger impact on making the 4th line better and quicker. But I'd definitely be intrigued by that lineup.

Yeah I hear you, my rational was helms ability is wasted on the fourth line, hes a game changer with his speed and even though he might not be better then a 3c, hes wasted on the 4th line. I put him with D&Z because he can win puck battles and he can create space for these guys, and they are deadly when given room. Hes not the ideal 1st line player, but him there helps a good deal, plus it helps free up players to make the lines I listed work better.

I'm not sure Weiss is a good winger, hes not durable or big enough to win battles along the boards. I also want to keep the kid line together.

Just curious did anyone think of putting nosek in as our fourth center.?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

If Mick wasnt for him and he wasnt a righty.. would you still have him on this roster?.. i cannot see a chance in hell you can say yes.. he's a cute little prospect but there's no chance he is ready.

He's a very good skater and he knows that he's a very good skater. And on multiple occasions during the preseason I've seen him use this ability to escape the forecheck and move the puck out of the d zone. This is basically what our bottom pairing couldn't do last year and why they were exposed. His ability allows him to do this. He was calm and confident in his ability. And if he didn't think he could skate it out, he'd quickly move the puck to a safe area of the ice. It was easy to trust him in the games I've seen.

Additionally he looked really confident on the point of the PP as well. He looked like a better option than Dekeyser on the point.

All and all I seen a smart, poised player who had wheels that could get him out of trouble better than Kindl or Lashoff could.

From the games that I watched, he was flat out better than Ouellet or any of our other young defencemen. And I think he'd be better for our bottom pairing role playing the right side.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

Have you been watching any of the games at all???

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Franzen - Weiss - Alfie?
Abby - Helm - Glendening (best 4th line in NHL)
Miller, Callahan

Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - Smith
Quincey - Ouellet
Lashoff

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

That's quite an arrogant post, doubly so as Jensen has been second perhaps only to Ouellet, if anyone, in his preseason performance.

So the answer is yes. And for the record, I've been watching the games on mute.

GivesyouWiiings

Oct 4, 2014
Welcome aboard. As you can see, we had very similar lineups.

I understand having Miller over Glendening, but I think if it's Helm and Abdelkader then I give the edge to Glendening for adding a little more grit and an agitating presence. Plus he could slide to center or take faceoffs if necessary. But I wouldn't be surprised if Babcock gave the tie to the veteran, even though he seems to like Glendening.

And I'd also give Jensen the first look over Ouellet. I like the RH shot and skating that he provides right now. I know many would prefer Ouellet though, and I think Babcock is among those. We'll see though. Kindl will be in the lineup to start if we're being realistic.

Thanks!

I think having Miller or Glendening in the lineup will not effect the team too much. You raise some good points about Glendening and he very well could be the better option but in this case I agree (i usually don't) with Babcock's 'tie goes to veteran philosophy', mainly because it actually is a tie. There has been times when Babcock applies his 'veteran' rule when it clearly isn't a tie.

As far as Jensen goes, I think he is just too small. Maybe not for the NHL, but this team. Also if i'm looking for a partner to play with Quincey, then I'm looking for the steadiest option available and that's Ouellet.

Both our lineups depend on Weiss being able to retain his prior form. What would your forward group look like if he were to disappoint again?

Here's mine:

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen
Helm - Datsyuk - Alfredsson
Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar
Abdelkader - Glendening - Miller
Weiss, Andersson

I wouldn't like splitting Datsyuk and Zetterberg but i think you'd have to. I'd consider making Franzen center and putting Nyquist on his wing. I think they have great chemistry and also Franzen has looked good a center before, however i dont think he could take on 2C duties for an entire season. Anyways this lineup also looks pretty good but i think the 4th line will be pretty boring for the most part. Playing pretty invisible and not really providing to much energy however they'll be defensively responsible so no harm done

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
Jensen is just shy 6 foot 1 I believe. That is almost as tall as Ouellet and Jensen actually weighs 196 according to wings site. 196 at 6 foot is pretty solid. With skating abilities to go with that decent profile and the fact that he has a RH shot I think he has a future here for sure. There are many dmen in the league that are smaller and effective still.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
In the magical world where there are no injuries :sarcasm: :

Z-Dats-Jurco/Alfie
Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Mantha/Pulkinen: Jurco has priority if Alfie is signed
Abby-Glendy-Helm if Glendy doesn't improve to 50% face offs 1/2 into season switch with helm

Miller,Nestrasil extra forwards. Cleary is gone. Ferraro and cally clear waivers no biggie, anderrson I'd try to trade for a cond 7th (in other words for free) or waive him down.

Kronwall-DD
Big rig-Smith
Xo-Jensen
Lashoff

Rome is released from tryout. If Jensen doesn't stick Marchenko gets called up once he is 95% recovered. Quincy is bought out/released. Kindl gets the Anderrsson treatment cond 7th to someone or waived.

On the griffins first two pairs:

Paetch(however its spelled)-Sproul
Backmen-Marchenko

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Thanks!

I think having Miller or Glendening in the lineup will not effect the team too much. You raise some good points about Glendening and he very well could be the better option but in this case I agree (i usually don't) with Babcock's 'tie goes to veteran philosophy', mainly because it actually is a tie. There has been times when Babcock applies his 'veteran' rule when it clearly isn't a tie.

As far as Jensen goes, I think he is just too small. Maybe not for the NHL, but this team. Also if i'm looking for a partner to play with Quincey, then I'm looking for the steadiest option available and that's Ouellet.

Both our lineups depend on Weiss being able to retain his prior form. What would your forward group look like if he were to disappoint again?

Here's mine:

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen
Helm - Datsyuk - Alfredsson
Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar
Abdelkader - Glendening - Miller
Weiss, Andersson

I wouldn't like splitting Datsyuk and Zetterberg but i think you'd have to. I'd consider making Franzen center and putting Nyquist on his wing. I think they have great chemistry and also Franzen has looked good a center before, however i dont think he could take on 2C duties for an entire season. Anyways this lineup also looks pretty good but i think the 4th line will be pretty boring for the most part. Playing pretty invisible and not really providing to much energy however they'll be defensively responsible so no harm done

You're absolutely correct. Miller vs Glendening is definitely a realistic tie unlike Nyquist and Tatar vs Cleary and Samuelsson.

Weiss is definitely the wildcard for this team. I'd like to think he'll be at the very least serviceable, but at the same time I'm not going to be shocked if what we see is what we get with him. It has been a while since he's been a good hockey player. I want to give him every opportunity (that doesn't cost the team) to show that he can be a serviceable 2nd/3rd line center. I really do think that Nyquist can help out in this aspect though as a quick, puck carrier. Only time will tell. I really have a hard time seeing Weiss benched completely. He might get the Legwand treatment first where he's demoted to 4th line wing.

But in the case that he was not one of the best 12 forwards I really like the lines you put together. I'm also a huge fan of keeping 13 and 40 together. I understand the dynamic of being able to run 2 centers of their caliber out there, but those two are just magic together. And I think that they'll help each other out especially as they age some. But I don't think there's any question that we'll see them split up and some point or another.

I've been saying this since late last season when we found out what we had in the kids, but I really like our forward depth. I think Babs has a lot of options to put together pace and possession up and down the lineup. I'm rooting for Alfie to return at some point as he only adds to that. The idea of at some point having a 4th line of Abdelkader-Helm-Glendening/Miller really shows that.

If we can somehow manage to stay fairly healthy, I think we're going to have a lot of fun watching this team.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I want alffie back and feel we desperately need him
waive lashoff and cleary
trade kindl plus ferraro for whatever pick that "enticing" pckg can get you
if we coul ever move quincey then bring up jensen or marchenko otherwise e're stuck with him

franzen-zetterberg-nyquist
weiss-datsyuk-alffie
tatar-sheahan-jurco
miller-helm-abdelkader
glendening
andersson
callahan

kronwall-dekeyser
smith-ericsson
quincey-ouellet
rome

I want a true NHL top pairing on the backend. Slide ericsson down to insulate Smith and let Smith uses his skills to move the puk and skate

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Jensen is just shy 6 foot 1 I believe. That is almost as tall as Ouellet and Jensen actually weighs 196 according to wings site. 196 at 6 foot is pretty solid. With skating abilities to go with that decent profile and the fact that he has a RH shot I think he has a future here for sure. There are many dmen in the league that are smaller and effective still.
Yup. According to Elite Prospects, Ouellet is 6'0" and 176 lbs. Jensen is 6'1" and 194 lbs. According to the Grand Rapids Griffins' website, Ouellet is 6'0" and 200 lbs. Jensen is 6'1" and 200 lbs. Either way, Jensen's size is not a concern for me. By way of comparison, Elite Prospects and the Red Wings' website has Niklas Kronwall at 6'0" and 190 lbs and Adam Almqvist at 5'11" and 174 lbs.

GivesyouWiiings

Oct 4, 2014
Yup. According to Elite Prospects, Ouellet is 6'0" and 176 lbs. Jensen is 6'1" and 194 lbs. According to the Grand Rapids Griffins' website, Ouellet is 6'0" and 200 lbs. Jensen is 6'1" and 200 lbs. Either way, Jensen's size is not a concern for me. By way of comparison, Elite Prospects and the Red Wings' website has Niklas Kronwall at 6'0" and 190 lbs and Adam Almqvist at 5'11" and 174 lbs.

Oh wow, I didn't realize he was that big. No idea why I thought he was small. Knowing that, I'd be fine with putting him in the lineup on the third pairing and letting Ouellet play in Grand Rapids where he'll hopefully develop more of an offensive game.

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
In my honest opinion, your 4th line needs to be where you bring in your young talent to face NHL competition to get a feel for it, not stocked with veterans of limited skill. But this isn't the philosophy that Holland subscribes to, so I won't bother doing a lineup writeup.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In my honest opinion, your 4th line needs to be where you bring in your young talent to face NHL competition to get a feel for it, not stocked with veterans of limited skill. But this isn't the philosophy that Holland subscribes to, so I won't bother doing a lineup writeup.

If they were to follow your philosophy, what would the 4th line be?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I want alffie back and feel we desperately need him
waive lashoff and cleary
trade kindl plus ferraro for whatever pick that "enticing" pckg can get you
if we coul ever move quincey then bring up jensen or marchenko otherwise e're stuck with him

franzen-zetterberg-nyquist
weiss-datsyuk-alffie
tatar-sheahan-jurco
miller-helm-abdelkader
glendening
andersson
callahan

kronwall-dekeyser
smith-ericsson
quincey-ouellet
rome

I want a true NHL top pairing on the backend. Slide ericsson down to insulate Smith and let Smith uses his skills to move the puk and skate

Yeah, without Alfie or Mantha to fill out the top9, there does seem to be a lack of firepower up there (assuming Mantha would have been able to step onto the team of course). Slide Alfie into one of those top6 wing spots, and it allows us to readjust every other line and give us a much deeper looking group, while forcing someone like Miller or Andersson to the bench.

GrimWings

#Greenforpresident
Jun 28, 2014
Right here
Franzen-Zetterberg-Jurco
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Weiss-Helm-Pulks
Miller-Andersson-Abby

When healthy
Z-D-Jurco
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Franzen-Weiss-Pulks
Miller-Helm-Abby
Andersson

Defense
Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Big E
XO-Jensen
Lashoff

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
Franzen Zetterberg Nyquist
Weiss Datsyuk Helm
Tatar Sheahan Jurco
Miller Glendening Abdelkader
Andersson Ferraro

Kronwall Ericsson
Dekeyser Quincey
Kindl Smith
Lashoff

Howard
Gustavsson

Pavs pee in your soup or something?

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen
Weiss-Datsyuk-Jurco
Helm-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Glendening-Abdelkader
(Andersson, Nestrasil)

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Quincey
Smith-Ouellet
(Lashoff)

Howard
Gustavsson

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Pavs pee in your soup or something?

Lol, just guessing what Babcock would do.

I think Franzen, Z and Nyquist will be a good line and think the kids will be a great third line playing against other third liners and bottom pairing D's. that doesn't leave many that could be serviceable on a second unit. Guess is Pavel can carry those two with Helms speed opening up room for him.

I also wouldn't mind moving Helm to the third line and bumping up Tatar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad