You're the GM and Coach

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
You've seen "the kids" and "the kids kids" play. What's your roster look like on October 9th? Maybe at some point I'll take a look at all of them, find the similarites, make a HFBoards line-up and send it to DRW social media. *Also assume everyone is healthy, so include Datsyuk, Tatar, etc*

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
zetterberg - datsuyk - nyqvist
tatar - sheahan - jurco
franzen - weiss - helm
abby - glendening - ferraro

kronwall - dekeyser
smith - ericsson
quincey - rome

maybe rome can give us some grit.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Franzen - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar
Abdelkader - Weiss - Nestrasil
Miller - Helm - Glendening
Callahan
Ferraro

Needless to say, Pulkkinen would be sent down upon Datsyuk's return.

Kronwall - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Smith
Quincey - Ouellet
Lashoff

Howard
Mrazek

Truth be told, however, I'll be perfectly content just to see Cleary waived. It will be the sign of a massive step in the right direction for this organization.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Weiss
Nyquist-Helm-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Abdelkader-Andersson-Miller
Glendening, Callahan

If bottom 6 guys get hurt, call Ferraro and Netrasil up. If top 9 guys get hurt, call up Mantha and Pulkkinen.

I like Netrasil more than I like Callahan, but I'd give Callahan the extra forward spot so Netrasil can keep playing in Grand Rapids. I want to get Weiss going, so I put him with the twins. I don't want to separate the kid line, so I put Helm with Mule and Goose. Helmer's Arc is what I'd call that line.(goose and mule are animals.) I like Andersson more than Glendening, so he gets the nod down the middle for 4th line center. Miller's a very reliable PKer so he gets that other spot.

Kronwall-Ouelett
Smith-Dekeyser
Ericsson-Quincey
Lashoff/Kindl

Alternate call ups for Marchenko, Jensen, and Backman throughout the season.

I don't want KFQ anywhere near X-Man, Kaiser, or Smith. So that leaves Ericsson and Kronwall. The way I figure it, Ericsson is the most reliable defensive defenseman to cover up for Quincey's terrible puck possession. I'd sooner rid him(Quincey) from the roster altogether, but that seems impossible. He holds no value. X-Man plays with our best defenseman, Kaiser is a steady presence for Smith to do his thing.

Howard
Gustafsson

Monster's terrible, but give him the back up job for the season, and let this be Mrazek's last season in GR. Though, who knows, Mrazek may force his way onto the team if injuries occur or something. Besides, we should let Paterson or Coreau get AHL time with McCollum.

-----------

With Pavs being hurt:
Mule-Z-Goose
Kids
Gator-Helm-Weiss
Miller-Andersson-Glendening
Callahan

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Assuming everyone is healthy?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Glendening

Kronwall-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Smith
Quincey-Jensen

Howard

* if I can assume Alfie is back then he replaces Abby up top and Abby replaces Miller on the 4th line

Those are the players that are starting for me though. I am open to mixing lines and pairings up, but that's probably how I'd start it. I don't love Abby up top, but I like having a quick, puck carrier on each unit to drive possession up and down the lineup. I want to give Smith a chance with Kronner, but I'm still a bit weary so I want to see continued consistency from him first in the 2nd pairing role.

I could very well change my mind on a few things by tomorrow.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I like Netrasil more than I like Callahan, but I'd give Callahan the extra forward spot so Netrasil can keep playing in Grand Rapids. k
Doesn't Nesty have to clear waivers? Do you think he would? He looked pretty good during the preseason.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Franzen Zetterberg Nyquist
Weiss Datsyuk Helm
Tatar Sheahan Jurco
Miller Glendening Abdelkader
Andersson Ferraro

Kronwall Ericsson
Dekeyser Quincey
Kindl Smith
Lashoff

Howard
Gustavsson

GivesyouWiiings

Oct 4, 2014
First post. I'm a long time lurker but now I'm ready to contribute. Here is my team:

Datsyuk - Zetterberg- Alfredsson**
Nyquist-Weiss- Franzen
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller
Glendening, Andersson

The forwards look great. This arrangement provides depth all the way down to the 4th line, with no real liabilities and all players are playing in the role that they should be playing. *Obviously this assumes Alfredsson plays.

Kronwall - Ericcsson
Dekeyser - Smith
Ouellet - Quincey
Kindl

Heavily reliant on Kronwall. Needs more puck movers. I put Ouellet with Quincey so that he could provide some stability. Yeah, not that great but hopefully Dekeyser and Smith can continue to make strides forward in their development and take on bigger roles. Get Smith on the power play!!

Howard
Gustavsson

I think Howard is going to have a big season. I'd rather have Mrazek play more games with GR than take on the backup role and play fewer.

I might be more optimistic than most but I think we can challenge for second in the divison that's if we're healthy, which of course we will never happen.

Anyway, here's to a good to season!

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
First post. I'm a long time lurker but now I'm ready to contribute. Here is my team:

Datsyuk - Zetterberg- Alfredsson**
Nyquist-Weiss- Franzen
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller
Glendening, Andersson

The forwards look great. This arrangement provides depth all the way down to the 4th line, with no real liabilities and all players are playing in the role that they should be playing. *Obviously this assumes Alfredsson plays.

Kronwall - Ericcsson
Dekeyser - Smith
Ouellet - Quincey
Kindl

Heavily reliant on Kronwall. Needs more puck movers. I put Ouellet with Quincey so that he could provide some stability. Yeah, not that great but hopefully Dekeyser and Smith can continue to make strides forward in their development and take on bigger roles. Get Smith on the power play!!

Howard
Gustavsson

I think Howard is going to have a big season. I'd rather have Mrazek play more games with GR than take on the backup role and play fewer.

I might be more optimistic than most but I think we can challenge for second in the divison that's if we're healthy, which of course we will never happen.

Anyway, here's to a good to season!

Welcome, brotha.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Everyone will clear waivers. Don't worry about it.

I know this wont happen but I would do this:

Waive cleary, quincey,kindl, trade monster

Z-d-helm
franzen-weiss-nyquist
jurco-sheahan-tatar
abs-glendening-nestrasil

Kronwall-erricson
dekyser-smith
oulette-marchenko
lashoff

I don't care if we have two rookie D, they have to play sometime, I think they would be just as good as Q and kindl, plus they can only improve, the same cant be said of Q and kindl. I would kill to get a guy like McQuad and insert him into Lashoffs place. Plus with a tough guy, less teams would be taking liberties with our stars,

Again, I know this wont happen, but if I had the chance, I would try something like this.

In all honesty, we are limited at this point as to who we can ice. During the offseason we should have made some more radical changes. We are too small and too injury prone to compete in the playoffs and win. We also don't have the ability to get the puck out of the zone good enough, or the left hand right hand complementary d pairings. I would have traded picks and prospects and a roster player for a decent right hander. I would never have signed quincey. Kindl would be gone. Have this new righty and throw in marchenko and atleast you have two righties on the back end. I would jettison atleast one of our fragile forwards, and brought in a bigger tough player capable of winning a few fights and board battles, helping to wear down teams. Use some of our D prospects, we have too many and there aren't enough spots down in GR for them to develop properly, so trade them now, you can never have the space for all of them anyways they need to go sometime. It would be a step in the right direction.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Well, I will not post a whole line up. But Danny boy has no place on this team. As for the D, Lashoff gone, Kindl gone! Jensen and XO in.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
First post. I'm a long time lurker but now I'm ready to contribute.

Welcome aboard. As you can see, we had very similar lineups.

I understand having Miller over Glendening, but I think if it's Helm and Abdelkader then I give the edge to Glendening for adding a little more grit and an agitating presence. Plus he could slide to center or take faceoffs if necessary. But I wouldn't be surprised if Babcock gave the tie to the veteran, even though he seems to like Glendening.

And I'd also give Jensen the first look over Ouellet. I like the RH shot and skating that he provides right now. I know many would prefer Ouellet though, and I think Babcock is among those. We'll see though. Kindl will be in the lineup to start if we're being realistic.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You're the GM and Coach
You've seen "the kids" and "the kids kids" play. What's your roster look like on October 9th?

First thing would be to undo the 2 signings from this summer.

-So, Cleary is wavied.
-Quincey is traded for whatever mid-round pick I can scrounge.
-Also would waive Kindl, or trade him for a 6th-7th

Ouellet-Jensen is the bottom pair in Detroit, and Backman-Sproul is the top pair in GR.

Lines to start the season

Franzen-Z-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Weiss
Abby-Helm-Jurco
Miller-Glendening-Ferraro
Callahan, Andersson

*Would love to ice the Swedish line as line 1, and the Kid line as line 3, but I think if you do that your line 2 is garbage.

Kronwall-Big E
Dekeyser-Smith
XO-Jensen
Lashoff

*Not just insignificant minutes for XO and Jensen, I would look at both of them for the 2nd PP unit, and same for 2nd PK unit. Would ideally play one on the 2nd PP, and the other on the 2nd PK. Would like to be able to roll 3 pairs evenly, instead of having a 3rd pair that is an absolute joke like it was as times last year.

Howard
Gustavsson

*If Gustavsson struggles, dump him and promote Petr.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Z-d-helm
franzen-weiss-nyquist
jurco-sheahan-tatar
abs-glendening-nestrasil

I was very tempted to put Helm with 13 and 40 rather than Abby. But at the end of the day I went with the thought that Helm has a bigger impact on making the 4th line better and quicker. But I'd definitely be intrigued by that lineup.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Doesn't it say in the original post what's your lineup for October 9th? Datsyuk is not going to be back by then.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Assume he's healthy

Alright.

In that case, would do the same actions (Waive Cleary and Kindl, trade Quincey), just would come up with different lines. And same D and goalies.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Helm
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Glendening-Abdelkader
Ferraro, Andersson

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
whoever said Rome clearly has never seen him play. If you ***** about Kindl or Quincey, lol... Rome is beyond bad. Slow and very low hockey IQ

My dream world:

Hank - Pavel - Nyquist
Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar
Franzen - Weiss - Helm
Abby - Andersson - Callahan/Ferraro/Glendening

Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - Smith
2 of (Ouellet, Kindl, Quincey)

Really, really wish XO would be on this team over Quincey or Kindl. I really feel like he's ready and superior.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Btw, i might be in the minority but im gettign pretty done w/ Abby's lack of doing anything productive.

God damn it, dream world would be replacing him, miller with anyone else... anyone..(that isnt named glendening)

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I suppose I should post mine:

Weiss - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Franzen - Datsyuk - Jurco
Tatar - Sheahan - Abs
Miller - Helm - Glendenning

Kronwall - DK
Ericcson - Jensen
Ouellet - Smith

Howard
Monster

Try to get Weiss going with Z and Nyquist. Datsyuk likes playing with big bodies and Jurco brings more to the table than Abs which brings me to the third line. That third line would destroy a lot of other third line's IMO. Fourth line is what it is.

Defense you can mix around

You're counting on Howard bouncing back in a big way so I'm not too worried about the back-up position for one more year. And Mrazek, while looking good in the pre-season, does need to work on a couple things in the AHL before he's a regular (coming from a goalie of 20+ years that was scouted and have taught). They aren't anything major but little things that will get him torched in the NHL if he's not careful. Other than Mantha and Sproul, he's the only one that will truly benefit from one more full year in GRap.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Forwards
Franzen - Zetterberg - Nyquist (good chemistry - keep them together)
Tatar - Datsyuk - Helm/Alfredsson (some speed and some finishing ability)
Weiss - Sheahan - Jurco (some size, some skill, with Weiss crashing the net)
Abdelkader - Glendening - Callahan (two yappers, one solid defensive center, and one hitter)
Miller/Andersson (PK away)

Call up Pulkkinen/Nestrasil/Ferraro/Mantha if there are any injuries.

Defense
Kronwall - Ericsson (still our top defensive pairing)
DeKeyser - Smith (hopefully, this is the year Smith puts it all together)
Ouellet/Quincey - Jensen (should be steadier than Lashoff/Kindl, plus Jensen gives us a RH shot)

Call up Backman/Marchenko if there are any injuries. Otherwise, let Backman spend one more year in GR to get used to NHL sized ice, and let Marchenko spend one more year in GR getting back to speed after his ankle injury. Leave Sproul in GR for one more year.

Goaltending
Howard
Gustavsson

Call up Mrazek if Gustavsson gets injured. Otherwise, leave Mrazek in GR for one more year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad