You're GM, what would you do?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Call up Connor for the final 6 games. He'll still be eligible for the Calder next season. The Jets should give him another taste of NHL hockey this season. Bring up Roslovic, too. Jets should get some indication of how close he is at the NHL level.

Flair Hay

Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
You thought that non-Jets fans on the main board would give an informed and unbiased view of the Jets' management? :laugh:

It was nice hearing from some of the articulate Hawks and Lightning fans after seeing their teams run the right way for around a decade now.

Main takeaways I took had been mentioned here a bit, but not often:

Need one more high level center. Not that our wing depth isn't great, but that it means nothing without a 3rd center. A big playmaker was said to be ideal (cough cough Patrick)

Said we need a high level D like Keith, Doughty, Hedman. And the depth to go with it. I think Trouba Morrissey with Buff as the 3D is pretty close.

Do the unthinkable and trade an untradable for a lesser piece at a more critical position. That sounds to me like Ehlers for a goalie, a good experienced second pair D or a veteran 2C to play 3rd line wit good wingers.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
II'm on board with trading ehlers for a dman. Connor coming in should make the transition a little more seamless. Especially if we lose Myers, buff continues his regression and obvious trouba concerns.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I might be in the minority but I'd also sign alzner as well.,but would not break the bank for him. Hasn't missed a game in the past 8 years while being a top 4 guy. Also #2 I beleive in short handed ice time and hardly takes penalties. Again, wouldn't breakfast the bank for him, and I don't think he'll command alot because his offensive stats arent noteworthy at all.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I might be in the minority but I'd also sign alzner as well.,but would not break the bank for him. Hasn't missed a game in the past 8 years while being a top 4 guy. Also #2 I beleive in short handed ice time and hardly takes penalties. Again, wouldn't breakfast the bank for him, and I don't think he'll command alot because his offensive stats arent noteworthy at all.
he will get more than 5 million a year in free agency. I would love to see the jets sign him.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Thought I'd try my hand at this. Pretty much do the same as most guys, nothing too drastic.

1. Bring up Lemieux/Roslovic/Connor (ensure Connor retains rookie status for next year though) for last few games of the year.

2. Beg Trouba to stay here.

3. Trade Myers if the return is decent. Hopefully a decent roster player and a B prospect and/or prospect. He's good when he plays but his injuries concern me.

4. If Myers isn't traded, ask Enstrom to waive NMC for XD.

5. If Enstrom doesn't waive, I still say go 7-3-1. Scheifele, Wheeler, Little, MP, Armia, Lowry, Dano. Buff, Trouba, Enstrom. Hellebuyck. Myers/Copp/Matthias gone to Vegas, likely Myers.

6. Draft BPA at the draft.

7. Let Thorburn and Pavelec walk. Stuart to the Moose. Re-sign Postma and Chariot for 1 year/1 million. Re-sign Hellebuyck for 1-2 years at 1.5-2 million. Re-sign Copp and Dano, 2 years at 1.125 million.

8. Sign Foley, Gennaro, Harkins, Spacek, Stallard, Green, Niku, Poolman and Berdin to ELC. 1997 born to the Moose (Foley, Harkins, Gennaro, Spacek). Stallard returns to WHL for overage year. Green to junior. Niku and Poolman to Moose. Berdin to ECHL and Phillips to Moose with Comrie.

9. Sign UFA goalie, hopefully Darling to play with Helle. Don't know where this leaves Hutch, I guess bury him in the minors for a year?

10. Sign LHD depth. Dmitri Kulikov and/or Brendan Smith.

11. Sign AHL veterans and proven AHL scorers. Make the Moose a competitive playoff team to give the prospects pro playoff experience.

Forgot to mention: I'd retain Maurice and the coaching staff for at least the beginning of the year, but they are on a short leash. Another rough start and someone is getting fired.

Mostly agree with this, especially 11. Having a winning culture throughout the organization is really important. I'd be happy to develop Lem, Ros and Con in the AHL for the rest of the season. Enstrom doesn't have a place on my team, waive or wave goodbye in another way; probably has 0 trade value. Priorities for me are coach, goalie and D. Scoring is not the issue for us.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It was nice hearing from some of the articulate Hawks and Lightning fans after seeing their teams run the right way for around a decade now.

Main takeaways I took had been mentioned here a bit, but not often:

Need one more high level center. Not that our wing depth isn't great, but that it means nothing without a 3rd center. A big playmaker was said to be ideal (cough cough Patrick)

Said we need a high level D like Keith, Doughty, Hedman. And the depth to go with it. I think Trouba Morrissey with Buff as the 3D is pretty close.

Do the unthinkable and trade an untradable for a lesser piece at a more critical position. That sounds to me like Ehlers for a goalie, a good experienced second pair D or a veteran 2C to play 3rd line wit good wingers.

Fans of good teams aren't the same as GMs of good teams, or necessarily better informed than fans of building teams, even if they are articulate.

None of those insights sound superior to perspectives shared by articulate HFJets posters. But you often have to wade through a lot of mire before you get anything approaching a rational / useful perspective about your team on the main board.

Samus

Jul 28, 2011
Winnipeg
No idea where we pick in the draft yet so leave that one for later! So start with...
Expansion Draft
7-3-1
Hellebuyck, Trouba Byfuglien (NMC), Enstrom (NMC), Scheifele, Wheeler, Little, Perreault, Lowry, Copp, Armia

Trades
C Nic Petan plus lotto protected 2018 1st round draft pick to Las Vegas for Future Considerations (selection of Tyler Myers and Calvin de Haan and then sending de Haan to Jets)
This deal may not be very realistic but maybe the Jets need to think outside the box with our expansion draft protection issues and possibly use Vegas to bring in a new body on D
RW Scott Kosmachuk to Pittsburgh for D Derrick Pouliot
Two players who look to not have room with their respective teams. Pens like their younger depth forwards to plug in plus they come cheap while the Jets need some new blood on defence

Restricted Free Agents
D Calvin de Haan re-signed to a 6 year $4 million AAV
RW Marko Dano re-signed to 1 year $1 million
C Andrew Copp re-signed to a 3 year $1.2 million AAV
D Derrick Pouliot re-signed to a 1 year $900,000
LW Brandon Tanev re-signed to a 1 year $900,000
LW Quinton Howden re-signed to a 1 year $650.000
RW J.C. Lipon re-signed to a 1 year $650,000
G Connor Hellebuyck re-signed to a 2 year $1.5 million AAV
C Ryan Olsen NOT Tendered qualifying offer
D Ben Chiarot NOT Tendered qualifying offer but later re-signed to a 2 year $850,000

Unrestricted Free Agents
RW Chris Thorburn NOT re-signed
G Ondrej Pavelec NOT re-signed
D Paul Postma re-signed to a 1 year $950,000
Postma with the right partner could be a useful #6, maybe Enstrom can be that for him?
RW Anthony Peluso NOT resigned
D Brian Strait NOT re-signed
D Brenden Kichton NOT resigned

Free Agent signings
G Brian Elliott signed to a 3 year $4.5 million AAV
Really like Elliott here even though Bishop and Darling are out there but I can see them going for more cash and term
C Nick Bonino signed to a 5 year $4 million AAV
Wishful thinking on my part but why not try? He has playoff pedigree and adds to an already deep group of centres in the organization
D Kevin Czuczman signed to a 1 year $650,000

Prospect signings
D Tucker Poolman to a 2 year ELC
C Jansen Harkins to a 3 year ELC
LW Erik Foley to a 3 year ELC
RW Michael Spacek to a 3 year ELC
C Matteo Gennaro to a 3 year ELC
LW CJ Franklin to a 3 year ELC

D Logan Stanley returns to OHL, G Mikhail Berdin returns to USHL, D Sami Niku returns to SM Liiga, and C Pavel Kraskovsky returns to KHL all for 1 more season

AHL Level signings
C Dan Desalvo re-signed to a 1 year AHL SPC
D Peter Stoykewych re-signed to a 1 year AHL SPC
R Scott Glennie re-signed to a 1 year AHL SPC
C Patrice Cormier re-signed to a 1 year AHL SPC
RW Brandon Denham, C Francis Beauvillier, D Jake Baker, and D Jake Kulevich re-signed to 1 year AHL/ECHL two-way contracts

Pre-season waivers
Hutchinson/Stuart/Howden/Lipon/Melchiori/Czuczman

Lineups
Jets
Laine – Scheifele – Ehlers
Perreault – Little – Wheeler
Connor – Bonino – Dano
Matthias – Lowry – Armia
Tanev

Morrissey – Trouba
de Haan – Byfuglien
Enstrom – Postma
Pouliot/Chiarot

Hellebuyck
Elliott

Moose
Foley – Roslovic – Spacek
Gennaro – De Leo – DeSalvo
Howden – Harkins – Lipon
Lemieux – Cormier – Glennie
Franklin/Lodge/Denham/Beauvillier

Melchiori - Poolman
Czuczman - Nogier
Stoykewych - Kostalek
Stuart/Baker/Kulevich

Comrie
Hutchinson
Phillips

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I really hope we do not sign brendan Smith. I've watched the guy for years in Detroit, haven't seen him as a ranger granted.

He is a turnover disaster and his offensive game leaves lots to be desired. Also extremely average positionally in the defensive end. The guy has size, good skating and a good shot (that he doesn't use alot) unfortunately he's all tools and 0 tool box.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Paging Garret: Find us a decent, UFA, left handed, defensive-defenseman. Like a Schlemko or something...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You thought that non-Jets fans on the main board would give an informed and unbiased view of the Jets' management? :laugh:

I think it is safe to assume that it would be less informed, on avg but a few may be well informed. It won't be unbiased. It will be a different bias. :laugh:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Ok. Enstrom breaks his face and is getting knee surgery???

So Enstrom had a previous, known injury. And Myers had a known family situation. And still Chevy didn't bring in a defenseman back in December.

I understand that from a gm perspective, it makes no sense to boost the team this year. As a fan, having a year be treated as a throwaway year since September is annoying. At least go full on and dump Stuart and Thorburn so we can watch decent players.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Ok. Enstrom breaks his face and is getting knee surgery???

So Enstrom had a previous, known injury. And Myers had a known family situation. And still Chevy didn't bring in a defenseman back in December.

I understand that from a gm perspective, it makes no sense to boost the team this year. As a fan, having a year be treated as a throwaway year since September is annoying. At least go full on and dump Stuart and Thorburn so we can watch decent players.

There were maybe 4 or 5 trades this season b4 the trade deadline and 99 percent of them were scrub for scrub. Perhaps Chevy tried but nobody was willing to part with anything, I mean, reality is, the expansion draft here has obviously thrown a wrench in to lots of teams plans this year. It's pretty obvious.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
If all we needed were stats, we wouldn't need scouts...

We draft well apparently will give you that.
We do need stats because this organization cannot evaluate NHL players.
Chevy & TSNE get boners for gritty journeymen.
First depth signing last year LHD..........
They had their eye on him for some time .......
Anyways advanced stats beat infatuation :)

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
What Chevy Should Do !!!

1) aquire a solid "goaltender" is first and foremost- someone like Darling, or Elliot, and maybe Bishop. This goalie to start "right away" and Helly can back him up. Helly would have to "earn" starting goalie honors, and this season has not come even close to showing that.
2) Try to sign Trouba long term over the summer if he can. Trouba showing a lot of talent, with good offensive upside. ( Tough as well)
3) Coaching Decision- I'd be looking at replacing Maurice if I were Chevy with a guy with a 600 + winning record. At the very most, I may go with Maurice, but "not" for more than one year.
4) See if you can get rid of Toby Enstrom- he's to small, and not worth what the Jet's are paying him. He'd have to waive NMC, and maybe with the right deal, he will.
These are the 4 major and most important things Chevy needs to do, and if he does them, the Jet's could make a deep playoff run next year. There are other things as well, but these above mentioned are crucial. I'll predict if Chevy doesn't aquire a good goalie, and the Jet's bomb out next year, and don't make the playoffs, Chevy will lose his job over the course of the next 2-3 years.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
We draft well apparently will give you that.
We do need stats because this organization cannot evaluate NHL players.
Chevy & TSNE get boners for gritty journeymen.
First depth signing last year LHD..........
They had their eye on him for some time .......
Anyways advanced stats beat infatuation :)
I'm not saying we shouldn't use statistics. But they are only one of many tools. A general manager should be using. And I don't think it is the number one tool.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Good post, Samus. I like the detail and specifics you've provided as well as some justifications. Looks like a good plan.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Get Schneider from Jersey after the XD. Myers, Hutch, Dano and 2nd this year should do it? A 3rd in 2018 too?

Offer Alzner (I don't think he has ever missed a game?) 6 years at 5.5m.

After the XD, trade the 2018 1st, Petan, Lemieux for Jordan Staal (1m retained).

Laine- Little Wheeler (11.6m)
Connor- Scheif Ehlers (8m)
MP- Staal Armia (10m)
Copp- Lowry (cheaper vet UFA)/Tanev (4m)

Morrissey- Trouba (4m)
Alzner- Buff (13.1m)
Enstrom- Postma/Nogier/Poolman (6.75m)

Schneider- Helle (6.75m)
Salary is under 65m.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
Get Schneider from Jersey after the XD. Myers, Hutch, Dano and 2nd this year should do it? A 3rd in 2018 too?

Offer Alzner (I don't think he has ever missed a game?) 6 years at 5.5m.

After the XD, trade the 2018 1st, Petan, Lemieux for Jordan Staal (1m retained).

Laine- Little Wheeler (11.6m)
Connor- Scheif Ehlers (8m)
MP- Staal Armia (10m)
Copp- Lowry (cheaper vet UFA)/Tanev (4m)

Morrissey- Trouba (4m)
Alzner- Buff (13.1m)
Enstrom- Postma/Nogier/Poolman (6.75m)

Schneider- Helle (6.75m)
Salary is under 65m.

You can probably do better than Jordan Staal for a top 5 pick in 2018.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'm not saying we shouldn't use statistics. But they are only one of many tools. A general manager should be using. And I don't think it is the number one tool.
I agree with this, I mistakenly thought you weren't enamoured with stats.
The odd time Garret is wrong but not very often.
We fans being emotional creatures often see what we want to see, NHL executives aren't much different with certain players.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No idea where we pick in the draft yet so leave that one for later! So start with...
Expansion Draft
7-3-1
Hellebuyck, Trouba Byfuglien (NMC), Enstrom (NMC), Scheifele, Wheeler, Little, Perreault, Lowry, Copp, Armia

Trades
C Nic Petan plus lotto protected 2018 1st round draft pick to Las Vegas for Future Considerations (selection of Tyler Myers and Calvin de Haan and then sending de Haan to Jets)
This deal may not be very realistic but maybe the Jets need to think outside the box with our expansion draft protection issues and possibly use Vegas to bring in a new body on D
RW Scott Kosmachuk to Pittsburgh for D Derrick Pouliot
Two players who look to not have room with their respective teams. Pens like their younger depth forwards to plug in plus they come cheap while the Jets need some new blood on defence

Restricted Free Agents
D Calvin de Haan re-signed to a 6 year $4 million AAV
RW Marko Dano re-signed to 1 year $1 million
C Andrew Copp re-signed to a 3 year $1.2 million AAV
D Derrick Pouliot re-signed to a 1 year $900,000
LW Brandon Tanev re-signed to a 1 year $900,000
LW Quinton Howden re-signed to a 1 year $650.000
RW J.C. Lipon re-signed to a 1 year $650,000
G Connor Hellebuyck re-signed to a 2 year $1.5 million AAV
C Ryan Olsen NOT Tendered qualifying offer
D Ben Chiarot NOT Tendered qualifying offer but later re-signed to a 2 year $850,000

Unrestricted Free Agents
RW Chris Thorburn NOT re-signed
G Ondrej Pavelec NOT re-signed
D Paul Postma re-signed to a 1 year $950,000
Postma with the right partner could be a useful #6, maybe Enstrom can be that for him?
RW Anthony Peluso NOT resigned
D Brian Strait NOT re-signed
D Brenden Kichton NOT resigned

Free Agent signings
G Brian Elliott signed to a 3 year $4.5 million AAV
Really like Elliott here even though Bishop and Darling are out there but I can see them going for more cash and term
C Nick Bonino signed to a 5 year $4 million AAV
Wishful thinking on my part but why not try? He has playoff pedigree and adds to an already deep group of centres in the organization
D Kevin Czuczman signed to a 1 year $650,000

Prospect signings
D Tucker Poolman to a 2 year ELC
C Jansen Harkins to a 3 year ELC
LW Erik Foley to a 3 year ELC
RW Michael Spacek to a 3 year ELC
C Matteo Gennaro to a 3 year ELC
LW CJ Franklin to a 3 year ELC

D Logan Stanley returns to OHL, G Mikhail Berdin returns to USHL, D Sami Niku returns to SM Liiga, and C Pavel Kraskovsky returns to KHL all for 1 more season

AHL Level signings
C Dan Desalvo re-signed to a 1 year AHL SPC
D Peter Stoykewych re-signed to a 1 year AHL SPC
R Scott Glennie re-signed to a 1 year AHL SPC
C Patrice Cormier re-signed to a 1 year AHL SPC
RW Brandon Denham, C Francis Beauvillier, D Jake Baker, and D Jake Kulevich re-signed to 1 year AHL/ECHL two-way contracts

Pre-season waivers
Hutchinson/Stuart/Howden/Lipon/Melchiori/Czuczman

Lineups
Jets
Laine – Scheifele – Ehlers
Perreault – Little – Wheeler
Connor – Bonino – Dano
Matthias – Lowry – Armia
Tanev

Morrissey – Trouba
de Haan – Byfuglien
Enstrom – Postma
Pouliot/Chiarot

Hellebuyck
Elliott

Moose
Foley – Roslovic – Spacek
Gennaro – De Leo – DeSalvo
Howden – Harkins – Lipon
Lemieux – Cormier – Glennie
Franklin/Lodge/Denham/Beauvillier

Melchiori - Poolman
Czuczman - Nogier
Stoykewych - Kostalek
Stuart/Baker/Kulevich

Comrie
Hutchinson
Phillips

I quite like this. Doubt you get Pouliot for Kosmachuk but like how you've thought things through. Never thought about Bonino but he would be a pretty smart acquisition and has shown he can have success centering a third scoring line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad