You're GM, what would you do?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You just got the job as the Jets' GM.

You can spend to the cap but you must realize we have contracts to deal with in the future.

What would you do, if anything, to improve the team for now and the future? You have until the first game of the 2017-2018 season.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Fire the majority of the coaches. I give Paul Maurice 20-25 games of next season to prove himself or he goes too. It's hard to look like a good coach when you have three sieves between the pipes.

Release Pavs, Stu and Thorburn. Use some of our young forward depth to help acquire two new players. Only players I'm not open to trading is Laine, Chef, Trouba, JoMo and Ehlers.

Bring in a veteran goalie that has proven to be at least league average. I'm fine with overpaying contract wise. Bring in depth for for the left side of defense. Preferably someone young to be a third pairing.

LoveNHL

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden
Fire the majority of the coaches. I give Paul Maurice 20-25 games of next season to prove himself or he goes too. It's hard to look like a good coach when you have three sieves between the pipes.

Release Pavs, Stu and Thorburn. Use some of our young forward depth to help acquire two new players. Only players I'm not open to trading is Laine, Chef, Trouba, JoMo and Ehlers.

Bring in a veteran goalie that has proven to be at least league average. I'm fine with overpaying contract wise. Bring in depth for for the left side of defense. Preferably someone young to be a third pairing.

Agree with most above.

The third line has been great with Armia, Lawry and Matthias, no need to split that trio. Try to keep it as it is.

Draft at least two goalies early and let them mature in AHL.

Team need a leader. I think Wheeler is great, but he need a great A. Someone who is boosting the team on ice and in the locker room.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm probably on the same track but you can't release NHL players because they have guaranteed contracts. you can waive, but if they are not claimed you still need to pay them. After the season you can buy them out but this only applies to Stu as both Pavs and Thor have expiring contracts.

But in order of importance I'd probably go:

1) Get an NHL proven goalie to tandem with Helly.

2) Replace Maurice with a more forward thinking coach and give him complete control to assemble his own staff.

3) Make a big move to get a LHD that slots above Toby. Even if it costs one of your young players outside of the big 5 (Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey).

But in all honesty another year of growth is most of what this team needs to start contending. It will still take a couple years to compete with the best, but we should still be able to start making some noise.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
1.a) do everything in my power to mend any hard feelings with Trouba and get him signed for the rest of his natural born life
1. b) fire coaches, hire a coach who is willing to employ a system that optimizes the roster instead of trying to smash a square peg in a round hole
2. assign Stuart to the Moose
3. sign a goalie like Darling
4. sign a 5 D like Del Zotto, Smith, Kindl, Quincey, Stone (maybe 2 if Postma leaves) or go after an under used younger D in a trade
5. Keep Myers and Perrault in the expansion draft (likely lose Lowry)
6. load up on D at the draft
7. sign some solid veterans for the Moose so they can spend some time in the other teams end next season
8. if I can find a team that's nearing their peak and willing to pay the price for Byfuglien, Enstrom, or Wheeler I'd take a look

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Trade Little* for an NHL D-man and a good D-prospect if the right value is there. Sign a veteran 'tendy who can play 35 games or so.

Get in the mindset to fire head coach whenever the right replacement is available and willing to come to the 'Peg.

Do whatever it takes to sign Trouba

* I like Little Bryan but it's time to part with a top six vet, can't resign them all.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
1.a) do everything in my power to mend any hard feelings with Trouba and get him signed for the rest of his natural born life
1. b) fire coaches, hire a coach who is willing to employ a system that optimizes the roster instead of trying to smash a square peg in a round hole
4. sign a 5 D like Del Zotto, Smith, Kindl, Quincey, Stone (maybe 2 if Postma leaves) or go after an under used younger D in a trade
7. sign some solid veterans for the Moose so they can spend some time in the other teams end next season
8. if I can find a team that's nearing their peak and willing to pay the price for Byfuglien, Enstrom, or Wheeler I'd take a look

I can get behind all of these moves, other than #8. Even then, I could be swayed, depending on the return. Nice list.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I can get behind all of these moves, other than #8. Even then, I could be swayed, depending on the return. Nice list.

I think it's best to move on from Enstrom as soon as possible. We are witnessing a sharp decline in his abilities and I wouldn't mind maximizing the value before it's to late.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think it's best to move on from Enstrom as soon as possible. We are witnessing a sharp decline in his abilities and I wouldn't mind maximizing the value before it's to late.

I don't disagree - it was mostly Wheeler, and partially Buff that I was against.

I think it'll be hard to find a buyer for Enstrom - as you state, he's declining, and he has a NMC. Even if he waives, it would travel with him. I'm just hoping someone slots in above him, and he plays out his contract on the 3rd pair.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm probably on the same track but you can't release NHL players because they have guaranteed contracts. you can waive, but if they are not claimed you still need to pay them. After the season you can buy them out but this only applies to Stu as both Pavs and Thor have expiring contracts.

2) Replace Maurice with a more forward thinking coach and give him complete control to assemble his own staff.

3) Make a big move to get a LHD that slots above Toby. Even if it costs one of your young players outside of the big 5 (Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey).

But in all honesty another year of growth is most of what this team needs to start contending. It will still take a couple years to compete with the best, but we should still be able to start making some noise.

^This. Do those things and we are a play-off team. By the end of next year we can compete with the big dogs.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

When can you start?

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I don't disagree - it was mostly Wheeler, and partially Buff that I was against.

I think it'll be hard to find a buyer for Enstrom - as you state, he's declining, and he has a NMC. Even if he waives, it would travel with him. I'm just hoping someone slots in above him, and he plays out his contract on the 3rd pair.

Wheeler would far behind the other 2 in terms of preference as well. Say a team like Rangers offer Hayes/Vesey + Skej/Bucvhnevich + a pick or something ridiculous to go for it before Lundqvist ages out, that kind of incredibly unlikely scenario.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
My list of to do's as new GM:

1. Call up Quinton Howden and have him play his remaining games then sign him to a 1 year ELC to be eligible for XD purposes.
2. At the XD trade Perreault for futures and try and trade Enstrom if we have no takers for Enstrom then deal Myers for futures and save all of our youth from the evil clutches of Vegas.
3. Likely lose Matthias in the XD.
4. Sign Tucker Poolman to an ELC.
5. Sign Mikhail Berdin to an ELC.
6. Sign Jansen Harkins to an ELC.
7. Sign Erik Foley to an ELC.
8. Sign Mike Spacek to an ELC.
9. Sign Matteo Gennaro to an ELC.
10. Sign Sami Niku to an ELC.
11. Resign Tanev, Kosmo, Lipon, Chiarot, and Olsen to 1-2 year two-way deals.
12. Resign Dano and Copp to 2 year deals each.
13. Let Pavelec, Postma & Thorburn walk in FA.
14. Sign one of the UFA journeyman netminders (Darling, Mason or Johnson)
15. Sign Kulikov.
16. Sign some depth depending on whose available.
17. Fire the entire coaching staff and bring in a new group of guys which would include a full time skating coach, full time strength and conditioning coach and full time skills coach and an advanced stats department headed by Garret and some of his hand picked selections (I'd offer him so much money he couldn't refuse.) His first order of business would be to tell me how much he dislikes my signing of Kulikov. :laugh:
17. See what happens in TC and go from there.

The rest of my moves prior to FA would all depend on what happens at the draft.

If the next season goes downhill I'd make some adjustments there as well which would likely include dealing some more vets for futures.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Agree with your points 1-3, but I think I'd elevate new coaches as more important than the goalies. We don't really know what Helly is yet, and he might thrive under a new goalie coach. If only the goalies changed, Maurice would still be prone to making bad decisions regarding them. Also, would say a new coach has to be able to harness Byfuglien into a more effectively defensive defenceman while not hampering too much his offence.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I agree I would move on from Toby at the TD next season. I would be very careful in extending both Wheeler and Little and most likely look at maximizing returns when they near UFA status. I am not adverse to extending one of them but not both unless they are for less money. Buff I would monitor closely and luckily he only has two more seasons after this one until his restrictions modify. I like all these players but don't want to get stuck with too many aging assets.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Ok, I'll try my hand at this just for the heck of it ...

1) Fire Wade Flaherty and bring in a new goaltending coach ... don't know who's available and good but at this point whether Flaherty is as big a part of the problem as we think or not, he needs to go and try someone new.
2) Send Hutchinson down to the AHL and sign a legitimate goalie like Greiss, Darling, Nilsson who can challenge Hellebuyck in a 1A/1B situation or be the starter if Hellebuyck continues to struggle.
3) Can the assistant coaches and bring in the best PK guy I can find. I wouldn't fire Maurice yet, I still think he's a good coach and with decent goaltending would be giving people around here much different opinions of him. I'd keep an eye on the situation, though.
4) Leave Perrault exposed and let LV take him
5) Sign/trade for more defensive depth. I'd be looking for a #4 and #5 Dman with Trouba, Morrisey, Buff being 1, 2, 3, respectively. I'd want things such that Chiarot/Postma are usually in the press box until injuries strike. I would only re-sign Postma if I can't get someone better on the UFA market. Stuart to the AHL.
6) In terms of trade to achieve #2 and/or #5, Wheeler and Enstrom would be the chief assets I'd be shopping. I believe Wheeler has possibly been playing hurt but he's been absolutely atrocious on occasion and his effort sometimes has been absolutely unconscionable. I would certainly not fire Maurice without shipping out Wheeler. I think Little is too good, but maybe would consider moving him as well. I don't think that old Atlanta core can be given a free pass through two coaching changes. I wouldn't trade Buff because he's such a unique player I don't know how you replace that unless the price is really right. No way would I sell him for pennies on the dollar, however, as some people here seem to want to.
7) I would not re-sign Thorburn, Pavelec, or Strait. If Peluso is willing to sign an AHL contract I'd sign him to be a veteran presence in the A.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
1) Acquire a top-4 LHD through trading a forward or free agency.
2) Sign / acquire an experienced 1b type of goalie.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
When's the last time a player making over 4 mill on the cap with term got traded for futures? A lot of these desired moves would be impossible...

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
When's the last time a player making over 4 mill on the cap with term got traded for futures? A lot of these desired moves would be impossible...

Phil Kessel was probably the most notable last one. E. Kane kind of.
Kesler had two years left and got some young guys back.

It doesn't happen very often. Mostly because if it wasn't for the XD we would be keeping Perreault not trading him. This is a special circumstance. You only think it's impossible because GM's usually don't move a good player with term because they'd rather keep him. I think you'd be surprised at the interest Perreault would generate from teams with less than desirable forwards that they would rather expose to protect a valuable player like Perreault.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
1) Ask Toby to waive his NMC for the expansion so that the team can protect 7-3-1.

2) If he refuses and Myers gets 5 games in see if you can deal him for a three Asset package. PK fourth line forward, A level defensive prospect and a 1st round pick.

3) draft one of the marquee dmen in the top 10.

4)Trade Petan and a 3rd if need be for Derrick Pouliot at the draft.

5) Sign Branden Smith or one of the good FA dmen.

6) Sign Darling or one of the established goalies to push Helle.

7) Sign good AHL dmen to help the Moose.

8) Complete the overhaul of the assistant coaches. Only Huddy and Flaherty remain.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
1. Fire Maurice and his assistants
2. Go 7-3-1 in the Expansion Draft... either trade Toby or Myers or ask Toby to waive his NMC
3. Move on from Chiarot Pav Thor Postma
4. Depending on where we pick at the draft look at moving 1 of little wheeler or buff - it's time to shakeup the veteran group
5. Truly build the team around Scheif Ehlers Laine Trouba Morrissey. That's your new core group.
6. Sign a UFA goalie like Darling or Johnson to battle Helle
7. Again depending on where we pick.... it's time to rebuild our D around Trouba and Morrissey .. I'd be looking at Carolina (Hanifin Slavin) or Anaheim (Montour Theodore).. perhaps theres a deal with Anaheim for Both we could make.. they are a win now team but take a D man. Try to get another pick perhaps in a draft day trade of little wheeler myers buff Toby and take a D man there. With our first pick take BPA.. if that's glass take him if it's liljegren he's the guy

Quite a bit more on the list but these are the main ones

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Fire Maurice and the rest of the coaching staff!

Sign the best FA goaltender available

Sign Trouba or trade him ASAP

Try and dump Enstrom and Buff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad