You're GM, what would you do?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What I'd do tempered by what realistically I think the organization might do. Job one is getting through the expansion draft. Chevy goes bold and asks Toby to waive is NMC with the rational LV is unlikely to pick up a 32 y/o pending UFA at a cap hit of $5.75 M. The trade off is Chevy works out a reasonable extension with Toby if he isn't selected. Toby stays a Jets. The Jets can now go 7-3-1 and expose the player they want. My guess the protect:

Buff
Trouba
Myers

Scheifele
Wheeler
Little
MP
Lowry
Armia
Copp

Helly

End result is they lose Dano which IMO the organization sees as an acceptable loss. The Jets then goes hard after a goalie and ends up with Darling trading a late pick for early negotiation rights. The late pick becomes a mid pick if Darling signs. Darling signs an what some consider a bit of an over pay but we get an upgrade in net.

To many people's disappointment there will be no UFA signing on defense. Now that Toby will be extended, Myers is healthy and Poolman in the fold the Jets go status qou especially after they nab Välimäki in the draft and have their left side covered for the future.

I'd love to say they move on from Maurice but I don't think they will. Best case scenario they do a big juggle with the assistants and bring in an up and commer as the heir apparent.

Next years line up:

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers (yes they move Laine back to the left with a year of seasoning)
MP-Little-Wheeler
Matthias-Lowry-Armia (yes Maurice is still the coach)
Connor-Copp-Roslovic (plays more of a 3B)
Tanev/Petan

Morrissey-Trouba
Poolman-Buff (They love hooking up the rookies with Buff)
Toby-Myers (one of the best 3rd pairing in the league)
Chiarot (Postma gone, Nogier back to the A but surpasses Chiarot by the end of the season as the #7 D, Stu takes on role of mentor and vet presence on the Moose)

Darling
Helly (Comrie & Hutch in the A)

Big jump up next season with Darling getting the love we all wanted to give Helly. Nab a top 3 in the division playoff spot. This time next season we are talking about staying healthy and who we want to match up against in the 1st round.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I'm just not convinced that enstrom wouldn't get plucked if exposed. I think they can select as many as 13 defenceman and could trade a few of them post draft for better returns than Dano.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What I'd do tempered by what realistically I think the organization might do. Job one is getting through the expansion draft. Chevy goes bold and asks Toby to waive is NMC with the rational LV is unlikely to pick up a 32 y/o pending UFA at a cap hit of $5.75 M. The trade off is Chevy works out a reasonable extension with Toby if he isn't selected. Toby stays a Jets. The Jets can now go 7-3-1 and expose the player they want. My guess the protect:

Buff
Trouba
Myers

Scheifele
Wheeler
Little
MP
Lowry
Armia
Copp

Helly

End result is they lose Dano which IMO the organization sees as an acceptable loss. The Jets then goes hard after a goalie and ends up with Darling trading a late pick for early negotiation rights. The late pick becomes a mid pick if Darling signs. Darling signs an what some consider a bit of an over pay but we get an upgrade in net.

To many people's disappointment there will be no UFA signing on defense. Now that Toby will be extended, Myers is healthy and Poolman in the fold the Jets go status qou especially after they nab Välimäki in the draft and have their left side covered for the future.

I'd love to say they move on from Maurice but I don't think they will. Best case scenario they do a big juggle with the assistants and bring in an up and commer as the heir apparent.

Next years line up:

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers (yes they move Laine back to the left with a year of seasoning)
MP-Little-Wheeler
Matthias-Lowry-Armia (yes Maurice is still the coach)
Connor-Copp-Roslovic (plays more of a 3B)
Tanev/Petan

Morrissey-Trouba
Poolman-Buff (They love hooking up the rookies with Buff)
Toby-Myers (one of the best 3rd pairing in the league)
Chiarot (Postma gone, Nogier back to the A but surpasses Chiarot by the end of the season as the #7 D, Stu takes on role of mentor and vet presence on the Moose)

Darling
Helly (Comrie & Hutch in the A)

Big jump up next season with Darling getting the love we all wanted to give Helly. Nab a top 3 in the division playoff spot. This time next season we are talking about staying healthy and who we want to match up against in the 1st round.

I think this is a probable lineup given True North's loyalty, without rewards, program. But fundamentally we have not addressed our weakness at LHD. Enstrom is fading, do we risk next year with him again, by simply moving Poolman up to 2LHD? My gosh what happens if Enstrom and Myers get hurt, if Poolman struggles? We are right back to Chiarot, Stuart Melchiori. And when his contact is over, who do we have to replace him, neither Niku and Stanley are ready at that point? So the solution seems from the outside.

I don't know how Toby fits into the team, dressing room, etc. Seems to be respected. Where does he fit into the team, being generally unsuccessful as a partner to Buff, behind Morrissey on the depth chart and on the last year of his contract? If we could move his contract to Detroit for Helm's contract, I would be happy. Would be a nice change for Toby, team he would fit into seamlessly. Helm is the vet that replaces Ladd's defensive game, at a better price, with much more speed. We lose Dano and a prospect (Phillips) to protect Helm.

I kind of waffle on Brendan Smith, but he seems to me a better partner for Buff than Enstrom, and less risky than Poolman. He comes into UFA status as 2nd tier, probably could be had at 4/$16 million. He and Buff would definitely form one of the most physical defensive tandems in the divisions, forcing alot of contact, which would make a few opposing players shy in the corners against us.

I like Pouliot to pair with Myers. Myers is kept for the PK leadership, Pouliot can be our LH Postma. I think as a whole the increased size would help us defensively, by jamming up space, and allowing our speedy forwards to retrieve loose pucks in the neutral zone as a consequence of good puck pressure.

The battle for 7, 8 comes down to Chiarot, Melchiori, Stuart and Poolman. I like giving Poolman the necessary development time for defensemen to grow, so I will stay Chiarot gets 7, Melchiori gets 8.

Lines:
Morrissey-Trouba
Smith-Buff
Pouliot-Myers
Chiarot, Melchiori

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler (a go to line offensively or defensively)
Perreault-Little-Laine
Copp-Petan-Armia
(Closer to the early season formation, and late success last year.)
Matthias-Lowry-Helm (who can move around the lineup)
Tanev

4 line hockey.

PP1
Top line, plus Laine-Trouba

PP2
Perreault-Little-Lowry/Petan
Morrissey-Buff

PK
Lowry-Helm
Scheif-Wheeler
Copp-Armia
Little-Matthias

Smith-Myers
Morrissey-Trouba
Buff

Connor can supplant Petan in training camp, moving Copp to centre, or Copp. Roslovic can push Armia down, and Matthias out.
But neither have a spot on the roster going into TC, they have to earn one.

I think they start on the Moose:

Connor-Roslovic-Spacek
Foley-Harkins-Kosmachuk/DeSalvo
Lemieux-DeLeo-Lipon
Howden (A)-Gennaro-Glennie

Niku/F.A.-Poolman (playing big minutes)
Stuart (C)-Nogier
Stojkewych/Niku-Kostalek

At least 3 players from this farm team, raise their game to the next level graduating during the year, or next year.

So many goalies: Fleury, Darling, Halak, Raanta would be nice, Elliott too though i think he benefits from shot quality on good defensive teams.

We go with a 1A/1B scenario regardless probably along the 45/35 line. Hutch and Comrie provide competitive depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad