Your worst hockey injury

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Worst injury I ever saw was also in Cobourg. We were in Peewee and one of our players got hit from behind and his helmet flew up and he hit his teeth on the lower dasher of the boards. His teeth got jammed up into his gums and you couldn't see them. Worst part, he had braces. They took him to the hospital but didn't realize his teeth were jammed up into gums so they went back to the rink to look for his teeth but to no avail. When they finally realized, he was flown to Toronto to have them surgically pulled down to their regular spot.

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif~c200

Saved

Jun 9, 2014
Was skating hard for a loose puck, went to stop and the torque snapped my skate blade. I went face first into the boards and put my arm out to brace. Resulting damage included a dislocated/separated shoulder, hill sachs lesion, rotator cuff, bankart repair, ligaments etc. Was out for a very long time, then had a surgery. Went through rehab, then completely tore my shoulder again just stick handling.

Have a consult on Friday for another surgery. I literally cannot even jog anymore because of the pain. I get 3-4 hours of sleep per night due to pain. Can't wait to get it fixed once and for all... if it can be.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Dislocated my elbow last summer and partially tore my UCL because some try-hard took out my skates from behind on a breakaway. Less than two minutes left in a game that his team was comfortably winning.

He got a two minute penalty while I spent my summer in a sling and am out a few hundred dollars on physical therapy. Thankfully I didn't need surgery, but I can tell my elbow is never going to be quite the same.

Worst injury I ever saw was also in Cobourg. We were in Peewee and one of our players got hit from behind and his helmet flew up and he hit his teeth on the lower dasher of the boards. His teeth got jammed up into his gums and you couldn't see them. Worst part, he had braces. They took him to the hospital but didn't realize his teeth were jammed up into gums so they went back to the rink to look for his teeth but to no avail. When they finally realized, he was flown to Toronto to have them surgically pulled down to their regular spot.

Why did I come to this thread?

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
When i play Midget AAA i was the captain and prospect of Shawinigan Cats . My team are 2 at ranking , and we just won 17 consecutive game .

We play vs Chateaugay , team of Morand and Comtois . I have to watch them and after 2 periods i just shut down booth . I made a fall at the beginning of the 3rd and just completely tear a knee ligament (collateral) in addition to having a meniscus injury. Exactly the same severity as Carey Price

After that my team turn 2-8 including first round of playoff . This format year of playoff give a second chance for better them in regular season , so i play this second chance after just 1 months . I played with a strap that went from my ankle to my hip. My pad could not attach . My parents and my coach let me play '' Because of my mental health '' just don't able to se my teammates lost . I had to play 6 months later

This really affect my knee . I had a scholarship to play in the NCAA, but I had to change plan because I saw that I was not going to be able to play in 4 years So I decided to go back to Shawinigan But I had lost so much speed because of my knee that I was not as effective as before before Shawinigan with the recent addition of Timshov had the best attack of the league , so i was cut at christmas

Now i'm here and just wanted to be a scout ! That's my story

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Honestly, the worst injury I've ever had was when I punched the glass. lol I've just never had a bad injury in hockey, even though I was the bruiser on my team.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Probably just concussion.

My old coach told me a story about how his friend took a slapshot to the groin area and he actually died..

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
Hit the ulnar nerve in my arm during a game. Weird collision with a teammate's stick caused it. I could barely move my hand for a period or so and until I could again and still played. Still get tingles every once in a while if I hit it by accident

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I know of a ref that used to local beer leagues here. His arm was limp (from the elbow down if I remember). Apparently he fell backwards and the way he hit his elbow on the ice totally killed his arm. Odd.

Just a quick question. I understand, although don't know anyone who has experience both to compare, that getting your shoulder scoped, hurts way way way more than the same surgery on the knee. Anyone able to confirm?

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Wow, some of the injuries you guys have suffered is insane! I've only been playing beer league for about 3 years, but have skated for many more.

I've had several cuts and bruises from pucks, sticks, and even a skate balde once playing outdoor shiny. Nothing that crazy.

The worst injury I had was 2 summers ago, I got laid out 3 shifts in a row from an open ice hit in a non-checking summer league. The first 2 of them was from a teammate who wasn't looking as we skated Into each other at full speed! He was bigger than me so I took the worst of it. My back was pretty messed up that summer, had to go to physio for like 3 months to get it sorted out, still tweak it every now and then.

The funny thing is that I wear full gear, even more than most guys (Shotblockers on my skates for full armor, full cage, even added some custom padding on my shoulder pads to cover gaps on the lower front ab area). I'm usually OK from most pucks and sticks, but I've learned that hard hits from bigger boddies can be worse if your head is down lol.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
My senior season of college hockey I got hit from behind and separated my shoulder. It was bad enough that it cost me the rest of my senior season. My college career ended with me in street clothes for senior night. Every once in a while I will fall funny or grab something at an odd angle and it will bug me for a few months.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I've played sports my whole life, but my first ever real sports injury was when I was 42. It was my second year playing goal, there was a scramble in the crease and I felt a pop in my knee. The pain kicked in a few minutes later. But I thought I could just hop home and I'd be fine in a bit. A teammate insisted on taking me to the ER. Good choice - MCL and meniscus torn. I took the rest of the season off and did lots of rehab, figuring that at that age I should let it heal right. Still works 8 years later, though the knee locks sometimes. I also have arthritis in both knees, so some pain is just life I figure.

I suffered what I imagine was a concussion 15-20 yrs ago, playing ringette. I was skating out, and a teammate and I went full speed for a loose ring from opposite directions. Both of us called "got it!" apparently, then I saw the crest of her sweater in my cage as we collided (she was a good 8" taller than me), and next thing I knew the ref was looking down at me. I told him I was fine, and went to get up. I almost fell again but he caught me by the arm and propelled me off the ice. Back in those days no one knew how bad head injuries could be, so of course once I felt not quite so woozy I went back in the game.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
No broken bones, but a few concussions. Latest one was 9 months ago, when I was playing D. I skated backwards and the blueline tripped me. I smashed my helmet (head) on the ice and everything went black for maybe 2 seconds, but I got immediately up. When I did that, it felt like I was drunk and my head started to hurt a little bit. I decided to play the 2nd half of the game too because we were short on defencemen and it would've broke our pairings. When I left the arena I forgot my shoes there. I had these better shoes when I came in and left with just my crocs on. I was having this little hangover for 1-2 days. Seeing all this concussion talk around the league now I know that it wasn't the smartest thing to do.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
We've all had our bumps and bruises, but what's your worst?

I've had two lol. Was 4 years old playing road hockey before Thanksgiving dinner with the WHOLE family at the house. The dinner bell rang and it was time to come in...problem was, my older brother stoll my hat. So a very long story short....he had my hat...I wanted it...he started doing a helicopter swing with a wood goalie stick and BAM! Right on my nose! So needless to say Thanksgiving was ruined by a trip to the hospital but at least I was alive. Doctor says "I can't be sure if it's broken or not yet". My mom says "are you fn ********, it's sideways". So I suffered with that till I was 16 and surgery was possible. Still suffer after at 33.

2nd. I'm 14. Playing "A" hockey in dirty Coburg, ON. A guy sticked me in the nuts so naturally I went down. I swatted at him with my stick while on the ice. As I'm getting up he turns around and literally jumps on me. Problem is his 200lb plus fat *** takes me right over my left skate edge. My body weight plus his basically went over my ankle. It's tough to describe, but I thank good taping of my skates for my ankle not to break. The most excruciating pain ive ever felt. Again at the hospital for hours and hear nothing other then "well your ankle is f'd". To top things off, the next morning I managed to forget it and stepped out of bed like normal...bad idea lol. I was on crutches for 3 months and still to this day "roll" that ankle daily.

I've taken cross checks to the face, slappers off the post to my face etc...

Sorry for the long read

edit

Last edited:

STC

Oct 29, 2012
reading this thread I'm realizing that there's a lot of people who have been lucky/blessed/fortunate enough to have never suffered a serious injury.

I've got 7 spine surgeries on my resume, at least 4 of them came from hockey.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
What's was the edit? Pm me if more comfortable

I'll add yet another 2!

Playing shinny hockey! In net... and some 6'4 mofo takes a slapper from inside the circle, coming right at my head. I move my head/body up and to the right (which kinda pulls my chest protector down) and BAM right on my collar bone. I finished the scrimmage but after I noticed I was bleeding pretty badly.

The 2nd? Yup the same thing happened in the EXACT same spot, but only in a league game. You'd think I'd have bought the plastic face mask dangler by now, but nope:shakehead

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I'm actually playing through a hamstring pull (I think) right now, which I guess luckily counts as my worst injury yet. Last couple of games, it's felt pretty good in the days before a game, but then I go out and it hurts after the first shift. My speed is probably my best asset, but right now it's obviously taken a hit.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
What's was the edit? Pm me if more comfortable

I'll add yet another 2!

Playing shinny hockey! In net... and some 6'4 mofo takes a slapper from inside the circle, coming right at my head. I move my head/body up and to the right (which kinda pulls my chest protector down) and BAM right on my collar bone. I finished the scrimmage but after I noticed I was bleeding pretty badly.

The 2nd? Yup the same thing happened in the EXACT same spot, but only in a league game. You'd think I'd have bought the plastic face mask dangler by now, but nope:shakehead

Edited cause I made fun of you for posting such weak injuries, but then I realized that most of the injuries posted in this thread are things I wouldn't even consider an injury.

Most of you have been very very fortunate when it comes to injuries.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Edited cause I made fun of you for posting such weak injuries, but then I realized that most of the injuries posted in this thread are things I wouldn't even consider an injury.

Most of you have been very very fortunate when it comes to injuries.

Sure some have been lucky and were kind enough to chime in. I'm sorry you weren't so lucky. But you, like myself and many others here are simply sharing our worst. And from what I see, quite a few will have life long effects from one single moment in time. I think that makes them worthy. We aren't here to judge who has the worst...

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Still waiting on my ribs to heal.

Kind of want to push it at shinny in a week but we'll see. League will be a few weeks away still.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Broke my collar bone twice. and a bone in my wrist once.

Fist time i was tripped into the post, second was I was hitting someone.

Wrist was from my attempt at a check.

Also had a bad high ankle sprain from being tripped going hard around the defense only to go feet first into the boards. This one sucked to try and come back from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad