Your worst hockey injury

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
I've had way too many injuries playing hockey over the past 3 decades. The top 3 are...

Practice with my AA team in 1997, simple drill forward (me) and defense-man chasing the puck behind the net. Defense-man lines me up just right and my helmet gets crushed into the boards. Wire cage bends and the good ole' ccm HT2 breaks from the contact. Probably the worst hit I've ever had. I woke up to the coach trying to hacksaw the cage off the helmet to get the helmet off. Didn't know where or who I was. Missed a couple weeks with a head ache.

Second worst, summer of 2005 playing a drop in game. Had a break away and was going full speed at the net. Caught an edge in the ice as I was trying to stop, twisted my leg really badly and flew into the boards behind the net. Couldn't walk on my left leg. Put me out of the game for a few years. I got the goal though, but was it worth it in a drop in game? Nope.

And much recently, Oct of 2014, was watching the puck as I was receiving a pass in a pick up game. Made contact with another player and hit my head pretty badly on the ice. Was wearing an Easton E700 helmet, and I cracked it pretty good. Still have headaches off and on from that hit.

So moral of the story is I guess I should avoid practices and drop in games. =) Keep your head up, and your stick on the ice boys and girls.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Someone slashed me in the upper arm on Friday and pinched a nerve. I'm lucky it wasn't broken but **** this is the most annoying feeling in the world.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
afraid I broke a bone in my foot last night, someone took a shot hit off my inside foot, hurt like a mother -****er- went to the bench and my foot went numb, than it got better and I kept playing but basically since than it has been hurting and I cant really walk on it, really do not want to miss the next 6-8 weeks which it seems is the recovery if it is a broken foot

choirboy

Apr 12, 2006
Took a direct puck to the eye from a shot from some guy that panicked cause i was stripping him all night at the point. Puck came off the blade, under my visor and hit me. Partly my fault too, as I had the visor pushed up slightly due to fog.

Dropped to the ice in pain and was almost out of it. Opened my eye and couldn't see anything. Swelled up fast and was rushed to emergency. Docs thought i was going to lose my eye. Fortunately, there was a doc in town who has consulted on Sundin and Berards injury. So he was contacted and they were able to figure out a way to bring pressure down and stabilize the eye for the night.

Due to the impact, i had holes in my retina and a slight fracture to my skull/orbital bone. Was pretty much blind in one eye for a couple months after the surgeries. To this day vision is still blurry and off. But at least i can see! Last year, due to cataracts coming due to the trauma, they inserted a lens to get rid of the issue.

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
Took a direct puck to the eye from a shot from some guy that panicked cause i was stripping him all night at the point. Puck came off the blade, under my visor and hit me. Partly my fault too, as I had the visor pushed up slightly due to fog.

Dropped to the ice in pain and was almost out of it. Opened my eye and couldn't see anything. Swelled up fast and was rushed to emergency. Docs thought i was going to lose my eye. Fortunately, there was a doc in town who has consulted on Sundin and Berards injury. So he was contacted and they were able to figure out a way to bring pressure down and stabilize the eye for the night.

Due to the impact, i had holes in my retina and a slight fracture to my skull/orbital bone. Was pretty much blind in one eye for a couple months after the surgeries. To this day vision is still blurry and off. But at least i can see! Last year, due to cataracts coming due to the trauma, they inserted a lens to get rid of the issue.

Yikes dude! That's scary, it's stories like this that make me consider putting on the cage (wife nags me to do it too) but I play in over-35 league here and it's not too competitive or intense. I dunno though. One thing I find with the cage is I have difficulty finding and processing the puck when it's in my feet, and as a D-man that's problematic.

I've been fortunate not to have too many injuries, but I guess the worse is when I broke my ankle and partially tore one of the tendons down there too and it ended my season in January. Another time as a kid playing Midget I got cut by a skate blade right above the tendon guard on my skate and it cut me so deep that I didn't really notice it right away but the ref saw the blood and stopped play and I raced off. Some sutures, some stitches and I was all good. Left a big scar though, very pronounced to this day

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Collapsed lung, and a fractured heel.

Those are the only two I'd consider halfway serious. The former because, well, it's a collapsed lung, and the latter because it's surprisingly tough to fracture your heel.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

There are few things in life more important than your eye sight

I never play without a full cage

Reactions: choirboy

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
Not me, but through work I was made aware of a guy in a shield and mouthguard and took a deflected puck in the mouth, and lost or broke off all of his bottom teeth. Something like $15,000 worth of damage.

It's not worth it to me, I value my face too much. Being female, at least we don't razz each other over macho stuff in hockey. I've only seen a couple of women at my rink (40+ teams) not wear a cage or full visor.

That's a similar story to a guy I know. I ran into him when he was wearing an eyepatch. Playing pickup, the puck got tipped and went up and under his shield. Damaged eye, broken nose and eye socket, and apparently lots of blood. He said that everyone on the ice that day who was wearing a shield went to a cage.

Reactions: choirboy

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeah, whenever I see guys playing without a full cage, I cannot understand it. Especially at pickup! The risk is just too great. I don't care if it's not super competitive; the pucks are all the same weight, and you never know when a guy's gonna lose an edge or skate like a careless idiot and whack you in the face with the blade. I'd rather spend my money on hockey stuff than hospital bills :nod:

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Yeah, whenever I see guys playing without a full cage, I cannot understand it. Especially at pickup! The risk is just too great. I don't care if it's not super competitive; the pucks are all the same weight, and you never know when a guy's gonna lose an edge or skate like a careless idiot and whack you in the face with the blade. I'd rather spend my money on hockey stuff than hospital bills :nod:

I know what you mean - I think if I played in a league I would seriously consider a full cage. However, I am comfortable wearing a visor in the situations I currently play in. But, I still guys out there with no cage or visor, and whipping around without the chinstrap done up. That's even crazier to me. Also, it's definitely "hot dogging".....how could it not be?

I have had close calls, even with a visor. Got stitches on my eye lid after a puck rolled up my stick, and under the visor, in a beer league game. Happened twice! Those are the only 2 incidents after years of rec league and pick up though. Maybe I'm lucky, who knows. My wife doesn't really have a problem with the visor. I also would not play without a mouth guard, ever.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
I'm in the middle of it, have played 6 years relatively healthy throughout but completely tore a hamstring 3 months ago. Intensely painful but even worse it is taking a really long time to heal. Saw a couple of sports surgeons, both say no surgery (unless sciatic nerve becomes a problem but no evidence of that) and the good news is no reason I can't eventually play again. Probably will have some impairment/loss of strength but i was playing low level so not a big deal I guess. Not being able to play again was by far my biggest fear - it's the only exercise I love doing and a big social thing for me. Hopefully will be back out there in bit. I figure at least another 3 months, I'm not rushing it because could easily relapse. Having PT, lots of stretching and glute work to take some of the load off the hamstrings.

The injury was a bit of a fluke, I jackknifed with heel dug in ice. My flexibility was horrible so had I worked on stretching it probably wouldn't have been quite so bad but tough to say. But in any case, I can't emphasize enough the importance of keeping your muscles loose and flexible, not just to avoid/minimize injury but to also improve performance. I stretch every day now, 2x if I can.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
Not quite an injury, but hockey related. One summer when I lived on Vancouver Island I was playing pickup with some friends and trying out a new set of pads. During breaks in play I was sliding around and fiddling with the adjustments. At one point I felt a big pinch low on the back of my thigh. I figured a strap was too tight or something and carried on. After the game when we were changing, a teammate looked at me all horrified and said "What is that??" and pointed out a bright red swollen 6" welt on my leg. Apparently there had been something hiding in my pants and I annoyed it so it bit me. From my research, likely a hobo or wolf spider.

That welt hurt, and itched like a mofo for a couple of weeks. It looked horrible from my scratching it bloody. After that I stopped leaving my gear on the floor in the storage room of my unheated garage, and built a hanging system. And shook my gear out before I put it on. :laugh:

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I got laid out last night. My shoulder is sore as ***. I don't think it's dislocated but I feel pain when moving it.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Figured I'd bump this. On Sunday I had a full shoulder dislocation. Spent 5.5 hours in the hospital and they had to put me asleep to pop it back in. Anyone have a series of workouts so I can rebuild my joint strength ?

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
I was playing goalie, and there was a shot I took up high, and then had to dive out to cover the rebound. Right as I did, a huge guy cut across the crease at decent speed and caught me in the side of the head with his knee. I didnt think much of it, had a headache, but I expected that. Went to work the next day, and didnt realize it, but I was sitting there staring at my computer for about 45 minutes. Boss came over and asked me if I was on drugs, because my eyes was "not right" and I wasnt acting like my normal productive self. He told me to go get checked out, and not come back until I had seen a Dr. Turned out I had a serious concussion and whiplash, missed about 6 weeks.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Shoulder seperarion (missed 5 months), broken knuckle, and a slapper to the center of the cup (ok the next day, but the first 15 mins were...unpleasant
.. couldn't straighten my fingers to let go of my stick right afterward).

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
In my first season playing ball hockey (on feet, not skates) I was playing defense to the right of my goaltender.

I hit the ball toward the right board and started chasing it to try to clear it out, but the opponent grabbed the ball and cut to the center so when i planted my right foot to cut back to the right my knee gave out.

Tore my ACL and Meniscus. It was about 3 weeks before my final semester of University.

Tore it in August of 2014, had surgery in January, and wasn't able to play again until July. I've been playing ball hockey regularly since then.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I was digging for a puck against the boards. Opposing Dman cross checked me about halfway up my left arm and it hurt so I let go of my stick and another opposing forward (who is a good friend of mine lol) came up from behind and drove me into the boards. I used my free left hand to break my fall against the boards. Broke both bones in my arm cleanly and tore some ligaments in my wrist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad