Your value of Cody Ceci

What would you be ok with Ceci signed for?

• Total voters

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I dont mind keeping him for another 1/2 years but any longer and I'll be annoyed. He should also be making no more than 3 mil but probably wont take a pay cut

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Should be in the 4M x 3 year type range (4M-4.5M). Similar to what other UFA #4 defenders get. I would be okay with retaining him at that term/dollar number if there isn't a 1st on the table for him, and we actually are spending "close to the cap" in 2021 (without chicanery like trading for a bunch of LTIR contracts that put us to the cap without spending to it).

The reality though, is there is now way he's getting that little. Through overplaying him, we've put him in a position where at least on paper he can probably demand 5.0-5.5 x 5-6 years. For example, a neutral arbitrator gave him 4.35 for 1 RFA year. His next contract will be almost all UFA years with only 1 RFA year. I would not sign him to that.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't really care much if its short term only, but would prefer to just move on.

Anything beyond two years, I'm not interested in regardless of salary.

We're a cap floor team that will face budget issues sooner than later, and I really don't want that getting eaten up with term to secondary contributors... again.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Trade him or do not qualify him.
This. His QO would be 4.3M. Unless we're only going to do a 1 year deal, save your pennies for Chabot, who's going to need a contract in the 8M range. Plus, Wolanin will likely be a pricey signing in the near future as well. Do not waste any long term cash on Ceci.

Edit: if we're going to sign any of our RFA D to a long term deal this summer, I hope its Wolanin.

Last edited:

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
His value should be to a different organization... I don't know if Cody Ceci will be a quality top 4 defender, but I know it won't happen in Ottawa... Best for him and the team to part ways

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would pay between 2-3 mil...but that's not the going NHL rate right now (at least I doubt it).

Anything more really doesn't feel worth it...unless it's a 1 or 2 year deal as a placeholder to save one of our prospects.

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
if dorion singed 5 to 5 m , i kill myself..

max 3 to 4m.. if we want 31 place its not bad idea..:D

or i dont care its melnyk money :D

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Dorion just has to make him one of those fair offers he made Stone and Karlsson.
Garrioch confirmed that these were fair offers, then Melynk ruined the charade on his radio tour by saying that signing these players didn't make any sense in the context of the rebuild and Ruzkowski told usto look at it as an opportunity in the context of the rebuild to get new players and Dorion told us to get a new girlfriend. But nobody in this org lies, amirite?

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Sign him, flip him immediately. Ceci is super lucky to be in the position he is in.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
EDIT ASNWER : I WOULD BE OK with any player getting market value.

Ceci QO is 4.3 so even if I wanted every player to earn 1$ per season, it's not going to happen.

Cody Ceci Qualifying Offer Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

QUALIFYING OFFER : $4,300,000

He has no reason to accept anything below and why would he? Since Boucher arrived in Ottawa, he has been transformed into the top shutdown D-man in the NHL (or close to it), which he was never supposed to be. It derailed his career significantly, particularly in fans opinion, but at least it will earn him more money and in the end, every single player is a business in itself.

Again, he was 16th in ES TOI/GP among D-men this year but a bit surprised he was only 47th in SH TOI/GP

Overall, the last 3 years combined he is 13th in EV/GP and 14th in SH TOI/GP, but if you combine EV+SH TOI/GP, he's actually at the top (not sure exactly as I can't find a toll to do that and won't take the time to do it on Excel)

Anyway, I hope he gets traded to a team that will use him the right way so he can remake his name. He's burned in this market.

Ideally, I'd like to do something like Tierney + Ceci + 2nd for Dougie Hamilton or any other D-man that can play top pair adequately. ( EDIT : that is not a proposal but more the type of trade the Sens should be looking to make, unfortunately we've been on the wrong side of the quantity for quality trades lately)

THAT BEING SAID, like it has always been the case, it seems that hockey fans are not super updated on the market price for players (maybe outside of stars).These options and how it was voted pretty much reveals it (and in general through HF boards). Even 3rd pairing D-men make some significant money on their UFA years.

Sign him, flip him immediately. Ceci is super lucky to be in the position he is in.

Maybe his real agent is Guy Boucher? :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Fans 'perception' of Ceci was made before Boucher arrived on the scene.

His career was and will always be the same IMO, a bottom pairing limited minutes type of defender and should be paid as such. Hopefully with another team.

For the organizations and in particular his sake he should be moved. Fresh start for both parties.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am not happy with what I picked, but it is the reality of the situation. He is 25. That is what his value is. All the hockey experts don't seem to mind him as much as Ottawa fans. When I watch the game with my 17yr old, he is relentless on bashing Ceci. But Chabot can do no wrong in his eyes. It is a fun experience lol.

The microscope is on him and he cannot do anything right, and when he does , there is no acknowledgement, or grudging recognition. Or point out the other 100 wrong things he did and whoopee that he scored. A change of scenery would be best. But he has to be signed at what is the going rate and if you want to move him, move him.

But he looked better under Crawford.

Reactions: aligator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad