Your value of Cody Ceci

What would you be ok with Ceci signed for?

• Total voters

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
When I watch the game with my 17yr old, he is relentless on bashing Ceci. But Chabot can do no wrong in his eyes. It is a fun experience lol.
It's because ceci is constantly making the wrong decision and has hardly progressed since his rookie year. On the other hand, Chabot makes mistakes but also counteracts that with great plays. He's a sophomore, and already our MVP so there is no point bashing chabot imo unless he makes a massive error. I find that your average fan is actually fair and doesn't bash players for no reason most of the time.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It's because ceci is constantly making the wrong decision and has hardly progressed since his rookie year. On the other hand, Chabot makes mistakes but also counteracts that with great plays. He's a sophomore, and already our MVP so there is no point bashing chabot imo unless he makes a massive error. I find that your average fan is actually fair and doesn't bash players for no reason most of the time.

I am not going to argue about how good Ceci is because he isn't. But he is going to get paid whether it is here or somewhere else. Of course it will be 4+, and you have to ok with it or else he walks as a UFA ( if Ottawa does not qualify him). McGuire, Ferraro, both believe in him and I'm sure others who have played, watched. coached, would agree with them.

I'm just saying that there are instances where the attention he warrants is a little over the top.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Fans 'perception' of Ceci was made before Boucher arrived on the scene.

His career was and will always be the same IMO, a bottom pairing limited minutes type of defender and should be paid as such. Hopefully with another team.

For the organizations and in particular his sake he should be moved. Fresh start for both parties.

Really don't think so. Based on this board comments before 2016-17 and based on his advanced stats, it doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Cody Ceci Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

He started playing an additional 4 mins per game under Boucher, with high QoC and lower QoT

His CF% has proportionally regressed as his deployment and dZS% changed. Ask any #4 two-way D-man to become a top shutdown D-man in the league overnight and they will struggle right away. Heck, look at Ristolainen career in Buffalo, really not made for the task they gave him.

Another team will trade him, pay low assets because he will be at his lowest value then use him the right way (right coaching, right team depth) and he will finally be able to be comfortable in the right "chair"

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
For the team and him its probably best if we part ways,need to find a reasonable hockey trade for him though

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I never watched him play junior but he obviously used to have offensive talent based on his numbers. Even though I think he thinks the game way too slowly to be effective, MAYBE a new coach could help him reinvent himself into an offensive dman. Stop trying to make him a shutdown guy and just tell him to do his best to create offence and not be afraid to screw up, see what happens. That said I voted that he has no value, because I think for his sake and our's a fresh start is needed.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
lol am I still the only sane person on this board? I mean, Ceci QO is 4.3 so even if I wanted every player to earn 1$ per season, it's not going to happen.

Cody Ceci Qualifying Offer Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

QUALIFYING OFFER : $4,300,000

He has no reason to accept anything below and why would he? Since Boucher arrived in Ottawa, he has been transformed into the top shutdown D-man in the NHL (or close to it), which he was never supposed to be. It derailed his career significantly, particularly in fans opinion, but at least it will earn him more money and in the end, every single player is a business in itself.

Again, he was 16th in ES TOI/GP among D-men this year but a bit surprised he was only 47th in SH TOI/GP

Overall, the last 3 years combined he is 13th in EV/GP and 14th in SH TOI/GP, but if you combine EV+SH TOI/GP, he's actually at the top (not sure exactly as I can't find a toll to do that and won't take the time to do it on Excel)

Anyway, I hope he gets traded to a team that will use him the right way so he can remake his name. He's burned in this market.

Ideally, I'd like to do something like Tierney + Ceci + 2nd for Dougie Hamilton or any other D-man that can play top pair adequately.

THAT BEING SAID, like it has always been the case, it seems that hockey fans are not super updated on the market price for players (maybe outside of stars).These options and how it was voted pretty much reveals it (and in general through HF boards). Even 3rd pairing D-men make some significant money on their UFA years.

Maybe his real agent is Guy Boucher? :sarcasm:

I can't speak for what anyone else did, but I voted for what I think his value is to us, not what he's actually gonna get.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I never watched him play junior but he obviously used to have offensive talent based on his numbers. Even though I think he thinks the game way too slowly to be effective, MAYBE a new coach could help him reinvent himself into an offensive dman. Stop trying to make him a shutdown guy and just tell him to do his best to create offence and not be afraid to screw up, see what happens. That said I voted that he has no value, because I think for his sake and our's a fresh start is needed.

In terms of production, Ceci has actually had a few strong seasons in the NHL, including this one. This is the second time in his career he's scored at nearly a 30 point pace with it being pretty much all ES points.

He apparently QBed power plays in junior. I don't know if he has the smarts to do it at an NHL level. He'll never do it here with Chabot here, unless we decide to be one of the few teams with a LD/RD setup on the PP, but I wonder if in the right situation he could be a PP guy in the NHL. I know he's done it in really small doses for the Sens on the second unit at times, but he has never stuck.

Reactions: Smeddy

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
In terms of production, Ceci has actually had a few strong seasons in the NHL, including this one. This is the second time in his career he's scored at nearly a 30 point pace with it being pretty much all ES points.

He apparently QBed power plays in junior. I don't know if he has the smarts to do it at an NHL level. He'll never do it here with Chabot here, unless we decide to be one of the few teams with a LD/RD setup on the PP, but I wonder if in the right situation he could be a PP guy in the NHL. I know he's done it in really small doses for the Sens on the second unit at times, but he has never stuck.
The only thing I can think of is that we brought him up so early and then gave him way too big of a role and he lost his confidence. His biggest issue is that he takes way too long to do anything, he's probably afraid of making mistakes. The fans opinions certainly wouldn't help this.

I agree he definitely has some offensive talent and 30 points definitely isn't bad. I think if we can just tell him to go out and make mistakes and try to be as offensive as possible, maybe he could reinvent himself. Probably not, but maybe.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I am not happy with what I picked, but it is the reality of the situation. He is 25. That is what his value is. All the hockey experts don't seem to mind him as much as Ottawa fans. When I watch the game with my 17yr old, he is relentless on bashing Ceci. But Chabot can do no wrong in his eyes. It is a fun experience lol.

My 4 year old usually goes "Ugh! Ceci! :facepalm: "

But I'm pretty sure its a learned habit lol ;)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
For the team and him its probably best if we part ways,need to find a reasonable hockey trade for him though
There isn't likely to be a hockey trade out there for him unless you want to absorb another team's bad contract. At 4.3M he isn't going to be valuable to many teams. That's too much money for a 4/5 Dman.

The way I see it, the only two reasonable ways to approach Ceci is either don't qualify him, or take him to arbitration and accept whatever 1 year deal he's given, then trade him as a rental at next year's deadline. That way, he isn't eating into the budget when Chabot's new deal kicks in.

I'd personally rather just let him walk and invest the savings in a few depth UFAs like Rutta or use it to take get a decent player from a cap strapped team.

Lots of teams will probably look at Ceci at ~2.5M once he's a UFA but at 4.3, he's a bad pick up unless you have loads of cap space and money available.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
lol am I still the only sane person on this board? I mean, Ceci QO is 4.3 so even if I wanted every player to earn 1$ per season, it's not going to happen.

Cody Ceci Qualifying Offer Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

QUALIFYING OFFER : $4,300,000

He has no reason to accept anything below and why would he? Since Boucher arrived in Ottawa, he has been transformed into the top shutdown D-man in the NHL (or close to it), which he was never supposed to be. It derailed his career significantly, particularly in fans opinion, but at least it will earn him more money and in the end, every single player is a business in itself.

Again, he was 16th in ES TOI/GP among D-men this year but a bit surprised he was only 47th in SH TOI/GP

Overall, the last 3 years combined he is 13th in EV/GP and 14th in SH TOI/GP, but if you combine EV+SH TOI/GP, he's actually at the top (not sure exactly as I can't find a toll to do that and won't take the time to do it on Excel)

Anyway, I hope he gets traded to a team that will use him the right way so he can remake his name. He's burned in this market.

Ideally, I'd like to do something like Tierney + Ceci + 2nd for Dougie Hamilton or any other D-man that can play top pair adequately.

THAT BEING SAID, like it has always been the case, it seems that hockey fans are not super updated on the market price for players (maybe outside of stars).These options and how it was voted pretty much reveals it (and in general through HF boards). Even 3rd pairing D-men make some significant money on their UFA years.

Maybe his real agent is Guy Boucher? :sarcasm:

Before calling everyone but yourself insane maybe read the question in the thread a little closer. It's not "what is Cecis market value?" It's what would you be happy signing him for, and most agree he is a poor fit for our organization and needs to move on. If he accepts a huge underpayment for 2-3 years sure fine. It doesn't matter what Ceci would willingly accept. f*** em.

And a package of Ceci and Tierney (who you like to point out is very far down our depth chart in the rebuild) for Dougie Hamilton??? I mean why stop there, let's trade two other B assets for a first line center!

Also strange why writers for the Athletic, SN and NHL.com have noted since 2016 Ceci has been crushed in possession metrics and now the Sens are in quite the predicament of what to do with him...

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Before calling everyone but yourself insane maybe read the question in the thread a little closer. It's not "what is Cecis market value?" It's what would you be happy signing him for, and most agree he is a poor fit for our organization and needs to move on. If he accepts a huge underpayment for 2-3 years sure fine. It doesn't matter what Ceci would willingly accept. **** em.

And a package of Ceci and Tierney (who you like to point out is very far down our depth chart in the rebuild) for Dougie Hamilton??? I mean why stop there, let's trade two other B assets for a first line center!

Also strange why writers for the Athletic, SN and NHL.com have noted since 2016 Ceci has been crushed in possession metrics and now the Sens are in quite the predicament of what to do with him...

How dare you question Xspyrit's intelligence. He's the smartest man on HF.

Reactions: Mr Hat

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What's the value of the fans whipping boy? To those that hold the whip there is no value. There will always be a new whipping boy.

Stats wise there are stats that paint him quite a bit more favourably than he is perceived here and there are stats that paint him in a not so favourable light.

He will at minimum get his qualifying offer. And if the team gets him signed for less than 5*5 it'll be a decent deal. The cap is rising. Ceci skates well and he is relatively young. Serious regression is not likely to set in over 5 years and there is the possibility that utilized differently we get more out of him.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I can see this is likely heading to arbitration. And my estimate is 4.8-5.1 for him.

As for what I am comfortable with I have no idea, because of the way we use him we still do not know exactly what he can be, he is asked to do what precious few D men are ever asked to do, and of course it shows. And the truth is regardless of what we resign him for, he will likely be asked to keep doing it as we have no RHD looking like they can take over what he does, and the lack of RHD around the league means we would have to pay an extraordinary premium (RHD premium + Ottawa premium + Can taxes premium) to find a capable one on the open market.

I honestly cannot say I am comfortable with a right hand side of Demelo, Jaros and Burgdoefer. I guess we move over a LHD like most teams are forced to do, but our LHD are already bad enough putting them on their offside compounds the issue.

I think I'd be comfortable at 5x5, which is a bit above league average and likely to be league average in 5 years. He has certainly shown to be at least an average defender (looking bad due to miscast as a shutdown) and definitely above average offensively. He has his holes for sure,but his position is the hardest skating position to fill in the league and he takes so many bad minutes it shelters the other players.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I'd rather the team hire a POHO and new Head Coach before deciding on what to do with Ceci. I can't take watching him play anymore but maybe a different coach/system would suit his game?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
There isn't likely to be a hockey trade out there for him unless you want to absorb another team's bad contract. At 4.3M he isn't going to be valuable to many teams. That's too much money for a 4/5 Dman.

The way I see it, the only two reasonable ways to approach Ceci is either don't qualify him, or take him to arbitration and accept whatever 1 year deal he's given, then trade him as a rental at next year's deadline. That way, he isn't eating into the budget when Chabot's new deal kicks in.

I'd personally rather just let him walk and invest the savings in a few depth UFAs like Rutta or use it to take get a decent player from a cap strapped team.

Lots of teams will probably look at Ceci at ~2.5M once he's a UFA but at 4.3, he's a bad pick up unless you have loads of cap space and money available.

Sounds like great asset management there

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You keep him because we can't get anyone better, not because he's great. That means he likely gets overpaid, but that's still better than icing an all-rookie + Boro defense.

Some of you can keep insisting that reality should be disregarded but reality doesn't care if you believe it or not.

Reactions: Duncstar

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
What's the value of the fans whipping boy? To those that hold the whip there is no value. There will always be a new whipping boy.

Stats wise there are stats that paint him quite a bit more favourably than he is perceived here and there are stats that paint him in a not so favourable light.

He will at minimum get his qualifying offer. And if the team gets him signed for less than 5*5 it'll be a decent deal. The cap is rising. Ceci skates well and he is relatively young. Serious regression is not likely to set in over 5 years and there is the possibility that utilized differently we get more out of him.
What statistics would that be?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Sounds like great asset management there
By all means, let's continue to invest long term money into borderline NHLers. At least we know what we'll get out of that. Its last place finishes and losing star players due to financial reasons but the real fans are enjoying it so carry on.

Reactions: coladin

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
You keep him because we can't get anyone better, not because he's great. That means he likely gets overpaid, but that's still better than icing an all-rookie + Boro defense.

Some of you can keep insisting that reality should be disregarded but reality doesn't care if you believe it or not.

Here I thought Chabots 134 games in the NHL meant he wasn't a rookie. But I forgot I'm not in reality, thanks for the reminder. I guess Marner has the Calder in the bank now.

Our pipeline of dman has potential in the 2,3,4 range and we should not be reserving a spot to give Ceci 5x5 and roadblocking talent with much higher ceilings.

The next few years are going to be rough, just accept it and avoid signing vets to any significant term as stop gaps. All the vets worth signing are gone now. It's time to roll the dice and take some risk to actually contend in 4-5 years.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Goloubef and Elliot are young and skate well too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad