WJC: Your Top 10 WJC Players so Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyt911

Reinhart plays a very cerebral game and he's a lot less flashy than Nylander.

Nylander might be more noticeable, but Reinhart has made a much bigger impact, on both sides of the ice.

not fair to hold the Swedes coach against him
Nylander plays the wing in this tourney 5 vs 5 and the Swedes play a wing lock system meaning Nylander is SUPPOSED to FLOAT high in the D zone to start the break out. Nylander when he plays C on the PP he is great at puck recovery and stripping the puck etc all aspects that can make a player solid D wise.

However I have noticed that Nylander has another gear he busts out at will and it makes the other players look silly

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
what this makes no sense?

1 thing I want to say about Nylander is he looks uninterested at times, kinda like this tourney is below him. Then he decides OK its time to try now and he either scores or sets up a goal. So yea havent seen an other player generate points at sheer will like Nylander. Just wait till his team is either down a goal or tied late and I expect Nylander to go beast mode and single handedly win games

That was the knock on him in the draft. Doesn't play hard all of the time and floats too much.
Sounds like something he still has to work on.

Bps21*

the whole point is the kid can change the game at will, Reinhart can't. Nylander would skate circles around Reinhart.
Also Nylander has been playing wing and I am sure you know that wingers have little to no defensive responsibility, however when he is put at C on the PP he has to be way up around 75%+ on draws and is prob their best center.

I have watched every ****ing game and Reinhart really only stood out last game, Nylander has has been the most noticeable player in every game he has been in, you just hate the fact that the Leafs may have a better player than your team

The problem here isn't Reinhart....its that you don't know what you're looking at.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
the whole point is the kid can change the game at will, Reinhart can't. Nylander would skate circles around Reinhart.
Also Nylander has been playing wing and I am sure you know that wingers have little to no defensive responsibility, however when he is put at C on the PP he has to be way up around 75%+ on draws and is prob their best center.

I have watched every ****ing game and Reinhart really only stood out last game, Nylander has has been the most noticeable player in every game he has been in, you just hate the fact that the Leafs may have a better player than your team

Reinhart was only noticable against USA? And you watched every game? Might want to take a closer look at how Canada scored their first goal of the tournament not even 5 minutes in. Reinhart made that whole play develop from the neutral zone, including his amazing sitter for Fabbri after a poor pass by Duclair.

Reinhart has stood out in every single game the full 200' of the ice.

AFTeRMaTH*

In no order

Reinhart
Eichel
Domi
Nylander
Buchnevich
Pastrnak
Fiala
Bjorkstrand
Ehlers
Larkin

HM:
Sorensen
Reway
De La Rose
Vrana
Rantanen
Puljujärvi

AFTeRMaTH*

My list from the Montreal group because that's where I've seen the most games. Going to the games makes it tough to catch the other group.

Canada: Max Domi, Anthony Duclair, Connor McDavid, Brayden Point
U.S.A.: Anthony DeAngelo, Sonny Milano, Hudson Fasching, Alex Tuch
Finland: Julius Honka, Artturi Lehkonen, Roope Hintz, Juuse Saros
Germany: Frederik Tiffels
Slovakia: Martin Reway, Denis Godla

HUH??????

Point,Tuch?Fasching?Saros? Or any Fin for that matter?

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I seen only chunks of a few US games and am probably not qualified to participate here, but I will point out the US players who have had an impact in what I have watched:

Larkin - this guy just gets it done in the zone - he seems very mature for his age.

Fasching - great combo of skill, hustle, size. Boy do I wish the Wild had grabbed him,

Milano - he is all offense all the time, in a good way.

Eichel - love the swagger and skill combo. Lucky whoever drafts him.

Hanifin - he looks like a prize - mucked up on one of the Canada goals, but yowza, that size and ability at 17???

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

As a neutral fan the bolded = :facepalm:

Holy hyperbole posts.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah I don't really understand people leaving Reinhart out of the top 3..

Not trying to be a homer, but he's clearly been the player of the tournament with Domi, and then Larkin opposing them.

Yep I have the exact same top 3 as you actually. I think Larkin maybe at number one ebcause he isnt getting the PP time and doesnt have the stacked line of the other two, but that is also partially my wings bias

This post is hilarious. Reinhart has been better than Nylander without question. You make it sound like Nylander is being compared to some crappy prospect, 6th round pick or something. Reinhart was a second overall for a reason and is performing like it. Better tourney than Nylander so far

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
1 thing I want to say about Nylander is he looks uninterested at times, kinda like this tourney is below him. Then he decides OK its time to try now and he either scores or sets up a goal. So yea havent seen an other player generate points at sheer will like Nylander. Just wait till his team is either down a goal or tied late and I expect Nylander to go beast mode and single handedly win games

:biglaugh: If mental gymnastics was an Olympic sport, you'd have the gold medal locked up with this post.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Nylander seems to be a hot topic around here :laugh:

Some notes about some of the mentioned players.

Nylander makes things happen, creates chances and if Sweden is falling behind late in the game, I want him to be on the ice. Simple as that. He also has had his dips where he has fumbled the puck or wanted to do to much. I'd grade him B+ or A- at this point with a good chance to step up another grade before the tournament is over. Definitely a top 10 player so far in the tournament.

Sebastian Aho is the best player on team sweden so far. Not very flashy, just rock solid all around. I think I have seen him make 2 or 3 mistakes all tournament long and they happend to come after Mikael Renberg said on swedish tv that he makes no mistakes what so ever :laugh:. That he went undrafted is very peculiar. A- Also in the top 10.

Sam Reinhart has opened my eyes. I know he was good but he didnt impress me that much before this years WJC. He is good in both ends, will become a great player for sure but not as flashy or high ceiling as some of the others. Probably best so far in the tournament. Grade A

Dylan Larkin is another surprise for me, was not expecting him to be this good. Absolutely lethal, give him a finger and he rips off your arm :sarcasm: No but seriously, should not give him too much room because he will make you pay for it.
A- / A

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Nylander makes things happen, creates chances and if Sweden is falling behind late in the game, I want him to be on the ice. Simple as that. He also has had his dips where he has fumbled the puck or wanted to do to much. I'd grade him B+ or A- at this point with a good chance to step up another grade before the tournament is over. Definitely a top 10 player so far in the tournament.

Sebastian Aho is the best player on team sweden so far. Not very flashy, just rock solid all around. I think I have seen him make 2 or 3 mistakes all tournament long and they happend to come after Mikael Renberg said on swedish tv that he makes no mistakes what so ever :laugh:. That he went undrafted is very peculiar. A- Also in the top 10.

Sam Reinhart has opened my eyes. I know he was good but he didnt impress me that much before this years WJC. He is good in both ends, will become a great player for sure but not as flashy or high ceiling as some of the others. Probably best so far in the tournament. Grade A

Dylan Larkin is another surprise for me, was not expecting him to be this good. Absolutely lethal, give him a finger and he rips off your arm :sarcasm: No but seriously, should not give him too much room because he will make you pay for it.
A- / A

This seems like a very fair and balanced post so we are going to have to ask you to leave this thread please. You are trying to drag us up to a respectable level and we will have none of that. ;)

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
From team Finland's point of view, how can so many list Honka in their top10 before the likes of Husso or Rantanen? Honka has been more a disappointment than a top-player in this tournament! He hasn't been able to take the big responsibility of Finland's top1-defender. He has been awful defensively, especially against Canada. Anyone remember the 2-1 -attack from Canada, after Honka just kind of quit his skating and McDavid got the free line to attack? That was just horrible.

Second thing: Finland's PP is 0/16, and Honka is playing in the blue line. His shooting has also been awful, because mostly he just hits the first man with his wrister. Of course Kapanen is even a bigger disappointment, but Honka hasn't been good.

Finland's top3 so far is Husso, Rantanen and Puljujärvi/Hintz, your choice. And the biggest disappointments trio is Kapanen-Mustonen-Honka.

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
From team Finland's point of view, how can so many list Honka in their top10 before the likes of Husso or Rantanen? Honka has been more a disappointment than a top-player in this tournament! He hasn't been able to take the big responsibility of Finland's top1-defender. He has been awful defensively, especially against Canada. Anyone remember the 2-1 -attack from Canada, after Honka just kind of quit his skating and McDavid got the free line to attack? That was just horrible.

Second thing: Finland's PP is 0/16, and Honka is playing in the blue line. His shooting has also been awful, because mostly he just hits the first man with his wrister. Of course Kapanen is even a bigger disappointment, but Honka hasn't been good.
Considering that he's the only D that has been able to bring the puck up and/or generate any kind of threat to the opponent, I'll forgive his sloppy defense and his tendency to try and shoot all the time from the blue line (which has resulted in 1/5 of all Finnish goals). Honka has stood out from the rest as a puckhandler and a "generator of situations", and has done a decent job of being the offensive d-man he was supposed to be. But, as the things you pointed out suggest, he could be a lot better in other areas of his game.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
People that rank Nylander on their lists when he hasn't been the best Swedish player :laugh: . Sebastian Aho has played on a tournament all-star level.

If Nylander's line mates could finish he would be leading the tournament in points. I've lost count on how many times he's set up guys and they either shoot it right at the goalie, or miss or **** up somehow. Nylander should be top 5. He's dangerous almost every time he's on the ice.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
If Nylander's line mates could finish he would be leading the tournament in points. I've lost count on how many times he's set up guys and they either shoot it right at the goalie, or miss or **** up somehow. Nylander should be top 5. He's dangerous almost every time he's on the ice.

Nylander himself has been flubbing the puck as well...should have had a hat trick that one game.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

A- / A

Great post, agree with everything here.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis

Maybe he should be, but Aho has been even better.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

If I hear this one more time, I will throw up!

The same can be said for a few other players, had they had better teammates/linemates.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda is just bs imo.

Oh and before any Leafer goes complete ape-**** on me, I think Willy has been a definite top 5 player in this tourney. It's just the hype has taken all new heights.
Spamming every single wjc thread with his name and taking down other players some posters dare have before him!

Some posters have come with complete bs reasons why they think he has been better than some prospects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad