WJC: Your Top 10 WJC Players so Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickyR

Dec 8, 2013
Lots of hockey still to go, but here's my prelim list. Not just scoring leaders, but those with skill who have impressed me most:

1. Domi
2. Bjorkstrand
3. Ehlers
4. Eichel
5. Nylander
6. Fiala
7. Reinhart
8. Reway
9. Buchnevich
10. Pastrnak

HM: McDavid, Larkin

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
So hard not to be biased...I almost want to rank danish guys lower just to be fair. But who cares...I'll drop neutrality:P

1. Sørensen
2. Bjørkstrand
3. Ehlers
4. Petan
5. Domi
6. Buchnevich
7. Pastrnak
8. Fiala
9. Nylander
10. Reinhart

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I haven't watch enough games close enough to make a fair ranking list yet however a few standouts that I would probably put on a top 10 list would include

Dylan Larkin (he should be on everyone's top ten list, no question)
Roope Hintz
Oliver Bjorkstrand
Sam Reinhart
Nikolaj Ehlers

Honorable Mention:
Honka
Puljujarvi

ZeroPT*

So hard not to be biased...I almost want to rank danish guys lower just to be fair. But who cares...I'll drop neutrality:P

1. Sørensen
2. Bjørkstrand
3. Ehlers
4. Petan
5. Domi
6. Buchnevich
7. Pastrnak
8. Fiala
9. Nylander
10. Reinhart

Petan really shouldn't be that high. Missing Larkin.

Like I know he produced but he hasn't been as impressive as some of the others on that list like Pastrnak or Fiala.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
1. Domi
2. Ehlers
3. Bjorkstrand
4. Eichel
5. Reway
6. Larkin
7. Duclair
8. Buchnevich
9. Nylander
10. Puljujärvi :)

Last edited:

Bps21*

You do know he leads the tournament in points right?

What did he rack up a bunch of secondary assists because they weren't exactly memorable. I remember Reinhart's foot to stick backhand and his blind backhand setups. And his defensive breakups and perfect PK time. Or is this list the top 10 points scorers

RickyR

Dec 8, 2013
I'm sort of with the poster who said that... Petan's had a good tournament and clearly based on the point total has been a major contributor, but just hasn't stood out skill-wise to me compared to some others with fewer points.

I'm a little biased though I guess, as his WHL numbers this season have been a step back. I'm just not sold on Petan.

ZeroPT*

Yes by a point. I know. He's not been as impressive as certain others. Buchnevich and Ehlers are my top 2. I haven't been wowed by Petan that much. I'm a big fan of him and don't get me wrong he's been great. I just think 4th is a bit high, production included.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Lots of hockey still to go, but here's my prelim list. Not just scoring leaders, but those with skill who have impressed me most:

1. Domi
2. Bjorkstrand
3. Ehlers
4. Eichel
5. Nylander
6. Fiala
7. Reinhart
8. Reway
9. Buchnevich
10. Pastrnak

HM: McDavid, Larkin

Good list, except Sorensens (spelling?) deserves to be fairly high there. He's been awesome.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
People that rank Nylander on their lists when he hasn't been the best Swedish player :laugh: . Sebastian Aho has played on a tournament all-star level.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
What did he rack up a bunch of secondary assists because they weren't exactly memorable. I remember Reinhart's foot to stick backhand and his blind backhand setups. And his defensive breakups and perfect PK time. Or is this list the top 10 points scorers

I'm sort of with the poster who said that... Petan's had a good tournament and clearly based on the point total has been a major contributor, but just hasn't stood out skill-wise to me compared to some others with fewer points.

I'm a little biased though I guess, as his WHL numbers this season have been a step back. I'm just not sold on Petan.

Yes by a point. I know. He's not been as impressive as certain others. Buchnevich and Ehlers are my top 2. I haven't been wowed by Petan that much. I'm a big fan of him and don't get me wrong he's been great. I just think 4th is a bit high, production included.

You guys are confusing impressive with flashy.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
People that rank Nylander on their lists when he hasn't been the best Swedish player :laugh: . Sebastian Aho has played on a tournament all-star level.

I don't think Sweden would have won that Russia game without Nylander. And I really like Aho right now too, but Nylander is by far the most dangerous weapon Sweden has.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I don't think Sweden would have won that Russia game without Nylander. And I really like Aho right now too, but Nylander is by far the most dangerous weapon Sweden has.

Why do you say that?

Nylander only drew two penalties that turned in to goals, carries the entire team into the offensive zone and had 2 points ;)

Nylander could have damn well near 10 points right now if his linemates could finish, and that's no exaggeration.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Domi
Reinhart
Bjorkstrand
Buchnevich
Eichel
Reway
Nylander
Larkin
Ehlers
Pastrnak

Last edited:

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I miss Aho on this lists. He has been by far swedens best player and since sweden have 3 victories, he should of course be a lock on this kind of list.

My list.

1: Ehlers
2: Aho
3: Duclair
4: Bjorkstrand
5: Larkin
6: Nylander
7: Pastrnak
8: Buchnevich
9: Domi
10: Fiala

However the most importent games are yet to play, so this list can change very fast, and it fells very close right now.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Good list, except Sorensens (spelling?) deserves to be fairly high there. He's been awesome.

Sorensen have been good, but he is after all fairly far from being the goalie with best save procent, he has .909 compare to for a example Fucale that have .975. That is just stats, but when it comes to goalies I do think it means more than for other players, since that is pretty much their whole purpose to stop the shoots, there is not much else they should do.

He has MAYBE been the best goalie, but it is not by a big margin if so.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Sorensen have been good, but he is after all fairly far from being the goalie with best save procent, he has .909 compare to for a example Fucale that have .975. That is just stats, but when it comes to goalies I do think it means more than for other players, since that is pretty much their whole purpose to stop the shoots, there is not much else they should do.

there's a difference between a goalie who's behind a defense that gives up grade A chances left right and center, and one that's behind probably the best team in the tournament. Especially in a tournament as small of a sample size as this one.

I'm fairly confident in saying that Fucale's save percentage would not be that good playing for Denmark, and it's easily possible it's worse than .909, even if he is a better goalie. Sorensen has played really well. Not sure it's well enough to crack a top 10 though, he has let in a couple weak goals, and that Sweden game was not pretty, tough to find room for goalie or a Dman when we have forwards this talented.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

I absolutely HATE using goalie stats as the sole gauge for a goalie, as they're so prone to being skewed. Stats are a useful tool when supplemented with the eye test, but there is so much that stats don't tell. I think Sorensens has been outstanding, and is one of the biggest reasons why the Danes weren't getting smashed. In the games I saw, he was arguably their MVP.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Petan really shouldn't be that high. Missing Larkin.

Like I know he produced but he hasn't been as impressive as some of the others on that list like Pastrnak or Fiala.

That somehow always happens with Petan. Somehow he manages to get into the points. Thats what I like. He does so many things exactly right, and always seems to be there. But I have not watched all of canada's game so who knows. I just liked what I saw. Maybe he was too high.

Sørensen
But your keyboard lacks the right letter.

Just go Sorensen. Just don't put an son at the end. Thats usually swedish. Danish spelling usually ends in an "sen" instead of "son"

God, I wish he was just 2 inches higher....There are few goalies who is this outstanding and gives up so few rebounds. Love him!

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That somehow always happens with Petan. Somehow he manages to get into the points. Thats what I like. He does so many things exactly right, and always seems to be there. But I have not watched all of canada's game so who knows. I just liked what I saw. Maybe he was too high.

Sørensen
But your keyboard lacks the right letter.

Just go Sorensen. Just don't put an son at the end. Thats usually swedish. Danish spelling usually ends in an "sen" instead of "son"

God, I wish he was just 2 inches higher....There are few goalies who is this outstanding and gives up so few rebounds. Love him!

Yeah, I know. I'm have some Danish blood - I have a Danish last name and it ends with "sen." It makes for terrible mispronunciations all the time. Now whenever I see someone trying to read my name, I just tell them what it is so they don't botch the pronunciation. :laugh:

Had always wondered by it was "sen" rather than "son" as I thought it meant "son of..." Thanks for clearing that up.

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
You guys are getting Nic Petan wrong. He's been one of the best players in the tournament, he's just not been as flashy as Nylander or Domi or Ehlers while doing. Petan is the type of player that seems quiet but is strong in every facet of the game and who can produce points as well as anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad