4-Brodin
5-Merill
6-Murray
7-Musil
8-Klefbom
9-Forbort
10-Beaulieu

HM: Maatta Nesterov Janosik
Wow, that's hilarious. I'd take it you've never seen him play or you're just a massive Habs homer.

Tinordi is the steadiest D in the tournament. Both deserve to be in the top-10.

Gormley
Hamilton
Brodin
Merrill
Tinordi
Klefbom
Beaulieu
Musil
Forbort
Murray
He's not even close to being the steadiest D in the tourney. I'd say he's the least steady D on the US team. Have you never seen him play with the Knights?

I know you guys are going to think I'm just saying this because I'm a Bruins fan but I'm also a big London Knights fan so I've seen him play a lot and he is just not that good. I'm really surprised that he made team USA.
Incredibly true, Scott Harrington is the Knights' best defenseman, yet Tinordi and Maatta are popping up on multiple lists and I doubt Harrington is getting any consideration. If I'm being honest none of the Knights should be on any of these lists, Maatta probably the next couple years.

That comes to a huge shock to anybody that even follows the OHL casually.
Thank you. Steady is not a word I would use to describe Tinordi. He can be a beast physically at times but he makes a lot of bone headed plays and his skill level isn't very high.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
My top 10:
1. Hamilton
2. Brodin
3. Gormley
4. Murray
5. Merrill
6. Beaulieu
7. Klefbom
8. Oleksiak
9. Marincin
10. Musil

HM: Clendening, Harrington, Janosik, Forbort, Trouba.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Jonas Brodin is a fine defenceman but as we all know a little bit overrated. None of his stats are anything spectacular, he is Olli Määttä type of all-round guy.

Canada and USA has always good defense but after them there are many potential finns that could be in top 15. John Klinberg is 92 born and one of the worst dmen in SM-Liiga, he should be playing in A-juniors.

First, the last thing I would call Brodin is overrated. He was a top 10 pick this year for a reason, this year he has played for the national team in the Karjala tournament and was among the very best defencemen on the swedish team, got lots of icetime late in the close game against Finland. He is never out of position. Right now he is way better than Maataa, who is a solid defenceman in the OHL but not even close to being one of the best.

Second, why is it so important to bring up Klingberg? I don´t see how he has anything to do with my post. Anyway, Klingberg has struggled in Finland this year, but if you send one of your defencemen to Sweden he will probably struggle as well. There are a lot of things to get used to. He has posted 5 points in 7 games with the swedish U20 team this season. Apparently he was one of the better d-men in the Vaasa tournament, where the finns were shut down effectively by the worst defenceman in Sm-liiga who played the most among swedish d-men.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
First, the last thing I would call Brodin is overrated. He was a top 10 pick this year for a reason, this year he has played for the national team in the Karjala tournament and was among the very best defencemen on the swedish team, got lots of icetime late in the close game against Finland. He is never out of position. Right now he is way better than Maataa, who is a solid defenceman in the OHL but not even close to being one of the best.

Second, why is it so important to bring up Klingberg? I don´t see how he has anything to do with my post. Anyway, Klingberg has struggled in Finland this year, but if you send one of your defencemen to Sweden he will probably struggle as well. There are a lot of things to get used to. He has posted 5 points in 7 games with the swedish U20 team this season. Apparently he was one of the better d-men in the Vaasa tournament, where the finns were shut down effectively by the worst defenceman in Sm-liiga who played the most among swedish d-men.

I won't let you come in here and bring logic into this! Never!

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Brodin has easily been the best defenceman on the ice tonight in the Canada-Sweden game. First time getting a look at him and he's been everything and more than the scouting reports on him have been. Very poised with the puck and fantastic positioning. Expecting a fantastic tourney out of him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ok, so now; What the **** is Klingberg doing up there, with Ristolainen and Määttä in the honorable mentions?

I'm not the most informed person here when it comes to the defense, but both players you mentioned are underage, so while they may have more upside I don't think they're better(or put up more points, I kinda ranked based on that too), but like I said I'm not an expert

Latex*

I'm not the most informed person here when it comes to the defense, but both players you mentioned are underage, so while they may have more upside I don't think they're better(or put up more points, I kinda ranked based on that too), but like I said I'm not an expert

That underager Ristolainen has outplayed him badly in SM-Liiga this year.

Latex*

wow cut the crap, i think you are Rasmus?

Lol, that's his first ever fight. And his opponent is like 5'9 IIRC. Maybe you should stop looking for proof for you ridiculous arguments from YouTube. You'll see who's more physical.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Wow, that's hilarious. I'd take it you've never seen him play or you're just a massive Habs homer.

He's not even close to being the steadiest D in the tourney. I'd say he's the least steady D on the US team. Have you never seen him play with the Knights?

I know you guys are going to think I'm just saying this because I'm a Bruins fan but I'm also a big London Knights fan so I've seen him play a lot and he is just not that good. I'm really surprised that he made team USA.

Thank you. Steady is not a word I would use to describe Tinordi. He can be a beast physically at times but he makes a lot of bone headed plays and his skill level isn't very high.

To me Tinordi is the safest D in his own zone of the whole tournament.

And no I'm not saying this because I'm a habs fan.

Also I didn't know that being steady meant to have offensive skills.

Even then, looks like he scored on a breakaway tonight and assisted on coyle's 2nd goal. :laugh:

He's not an offensive powerhouse but he can still make good crisp passes.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
1. Derek Forbort
2. Derek Forbort
3. Derek Forbort
4. Derek Forbort
5. Derek Forbort
6. Derek Forbort
7. Derek Forbort
8. Derek Forbort
9. Derek Forbort
10. Kevin Gravel

:)

acadds5

Nov 2, 2011
Ontario
1. Gormley
2. Hamilton
3. Brodin
4. Murray
5. Musil
6. Klingberg
7. Klefbom
8. Merrill
9. Trouba
10. Maatta

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
My top 10:
1. Hamilton
2. Brodin
3. Gormley
4. Murray
5. Merrill
6. Beaulieu
7. Klefbom
8. Oleksiak
9. Marincin
10. Musil

HM: Clendening, Harrington, Janosik, Forbort, Trouba.

I agree for Tinordi, I was the first to say it was ridiculous to see him on the top-10. Then you say, that being a Bruins fans doesn't shadow your judgement but seeing Beaulieu at 6 and Hamilton at 1 is ridiculous.

I don't what is all the hype for Hamilton, but tournament wise, he hasn't been impressive at all and a guy like Beaulieu imo, is playing at a superior level right now than him.

Latex*

Wanted to improve his skating and to be more NHL-ready. SM-liiga could be compared to AHL, as style of play in SEL is more like in KHL.

Had nothing to do with skating. The guy is a terrific skater for his size and that was one of his strengths coming to SM-Liiga.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Had nothing to do with skating. The guy is a terrific skater for his size and that was one of his strengths coming to SM-Liiga.

Well, maybe not to "improve"... Here's a direct quote of Klingberg:

Here in Finland I'll learn skills that are needed in North America, because the style of play in SM-liiga is more straight-forward, faster and more physical than in Elitserien. Skating is in a big role here, which fits me perfectly.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Lol, that's his first ever fight. And his opponent is like 5'9 IIRC. Maybe you should stop looking for proof for you ridiculous arguments from YouTube. You'll see who's more physical.

Did you read at all my previous message? Bertuzzi is nothing but a fighter in that league, yes Maattas first fight and dominated a guy who does nothing else but fights. Size doesn't matter that much if you are a good fighter.

Latex*

Well, maybe not to "improve"... Here's a direct quote of Klingberg:

He obviously meant that as it is one of his strengths, the game style in which you need it should fit him well.

Did you read at all my previous message? Bertuzzi is nothing but a fighter in that league, yes Maattas first fight and dominated a guy who does nothing else but fights. Size doesn't matter that much if you are a good fighter.

I won't even bother to post to this troll anymore...

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010

This is why in boxing they sometimes put featherweights and heavyweights to fight for the same title, because they produce such excellent and close fights! It's usually pretty 50-50 because they are both so good!

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
I won't even bother to post to this troll anymore...

What troll? did i just own you, also remember the Canada game was exhibition game, nobody wants to get injured by accident before the real thing starts.

Ristolainen is not Maattas level when it comes to defense, you will see what im talking about when the tournament starts for real.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Klingberg play against Canada surprised me since some finns on this board claims he has beeen absolute rubbish while playing in Finland. He was out of position sometimes and had some bad turnovers but he looked very good offensively. He could actually be a name for top-10 best offensive d-men in WJC.

His problems seems more of a "wanting to do to much" and "not keeping it simple when needed" problem, than just plain simple "not good enough".

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Klingberg play against Canada surprised me since some finns on this board claims he has beeen absolute rubbish while playing in Finland. He was out of position sometimes and had some bad turnovers but he looked very good offensively. He could actually be a name for top-10 best offensive d-men in WJC.

His problems seems more of a "wanting to do to much" and "not keeping it simple when needed" problem, than just plain simple "not good enough".

I think many have been overly critical of Klingberg. It's not like he's been absolute rubbish, more like he's had some inconsistencies in the defensive zone, and his self confidence has suffered because of it. Obviously he should be very good for this tournament.

Latex*

What troll? did i just own you, also remember the Canada game was exhibition game, nobody wants to get injured by accident before the real thing starts.

Ristolainen is not Maattas level when it comes to defense, you will see what im talking about when the tournament starts for real.

I never said he was... I just said that overall if you combine Ristolainen's offensive skill and his physicality you get a better defenseman than Määttä, who is reliable defensively, but doesn't have any game changing abilities.

Rookie users like you are always so difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad