Your top 10 defensemen in WJC

The Fuhr*

Jani Hakanpaa ... 6`6 and 220lbs... should be playing top minutes for Finland.

If anyone is poised to make a name for themselves it`s that dude with his size and skill set. Was playing in Finlands top league this season 26GP 3G 8Pts

fufonzo

Feb 28, 2004
Incredibly true, Scott Harrington is the Knights' best defenseman, yet Tinordi and Maatta are popping up on multiple lists and I doubt Harrington is getting any consideration.

For any who follow the OHL, or the Knights specifically, is that accurate?

I don't really follow at all and as a Habs fan am curious as to how Tinordi is stacking up in the O.

When I kept seeing him on the list, I was thinking "Wow, I didn't realize he was expected to be that good.", but maybe he just doesn't deserve to be there..

Latex*

Yes, but one assist in the powerplay doesn't prove anything. Maatta is much more physical and better defensively.

Olli, is that you?

I asked if you watched the game, not the scoresheet.. Ristolainen didn't have a single defensive lapse in the whole game, and was the most reliable Finnish d-man with his opening passes and passes overall. + He got a point and contributed also offensively. What more can you really ask for?

Oh and i got a pretty good chuckle out of the latter comment of yours. No. No, he isn't, Rasmus has the ability and will to finish huge hits and he fights and defends his teammates. Määttä isn't physical at all. Have you ever watched these players?

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Not sure if they are top 15, all Canadian defencemen are better than the best finn, and most of the american too. Defense is not the strong side of Finland this year.

Highly doubt that. Määttä, Ristolainen and propably also Pokka will be first rounders next summer and 2013. They all play in good leagues in big roles. Also Jani Hakanpää is a very reliable defenseman who has high profile in finnish elite league team Blues. Finland's defense does not look that bad after all.

ToBBa

Mar 5, 2011
Finland
Olli, is that you?

I asked if you watched the game, not the scoresheet.. Ristolainen didn't have a single defensive lapse in the whole game, and was the most reliable Finnish d-man with his opening passes and passes overall. + He got a point and contributed also offensively. What more can you really ask for?

Oh and i got a pretty good chuckle out of the latter comment of yours. No. No, he isn't, Rasmus has the ability and will to finish huge hits and he fights and defends his teammates. Määttä isn't physical at all. Have you ever watched these players?

Apparently you haven't watched them. Or have you watched only that one game against canada? Määttä is much more physical than RR. Even in that game I think Määttä was better in own end as always.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Olli, is that you?

Good post. I was very impressed with Ristolainen in the Canada game, and I saw that he put up 2 assists in the next game with Finland aswell (vs Slovakia?) I think he should be in the top 10...funny that he isn't even draft eligible this year.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Highly doubt that. Määttä, Ristolainen and propably also Pokka will be first rounders next summer and 2013. They all play in good leagues in big roles. Also Jani Hakanpää is a very reliable defenseman who has high profile in finnish elite league team Blues. Finland's defense does not look that bad after all.

They are the best d-men n team Finland, but none of those would even be considered on the Canadian team. I doubt any of them would be on the US team either. Maataa will go mid first round, Pokka would be very lucky to get drafted in the first and Ristolainen is a talent but 2 drafts away and simply not good enough yet. Maybe in a couple of years.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
They are the best d-men n team Finland, but none of those would even be considered on the Canadian team. I doubt any of them would be on the US team either. Maataa will go mid first round, Pokka would be very lucky to get drafted in the first and Ristolainen is a talent but 2 drafts away and simply not good enough yet. Maybe in a couple of years.

I still would take them both over Klingberg and it would be quite easy decision. Finland doesen't have Brodin-like defender on the team but Ristolainen has all the talent to be better than Brodin in the future.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
I still would take them both over Klingberg and it would be quite easy decision. Finland doesen't have Brodin-like defender on the team but Ristolainen has all the talent to be better than Brodin in the future.

Yeah, I would probably do that too. But Brodin is atm the only defenceman from Sweden/Finland imo good enough to be in the top 10. Dont know why Klingberg is on peoples lists, he only made the team based on previous achievements.

Latex*

Apparently you haven't watched them. Or have you watched only that one game against canada? Määttä is much more physical than RR. Even in that game I think Määttä was better in own end as always.

Oh wow, are you serious?

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No offence to fans of other countries, and because I don't know a whole lot about many of their players, but to not have 3-4 Canadian dman in the top 5 is just wrong. Hamilton, Murray and Gormley are the elite 3 dmen in the entire tournament and there are others that could easily be in there. It is a stacked Canadian d core.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
For any who follow the OHL, or the Knights specifically, is that accurate?

I don't really follow at all and as a Habs fan am curious as to how Tinordi is stacking up in the O.

When I kept seeing him on the list, I was thinking "Wow, I didn't realize he was expected to be that good.", but maybe he just doesn't deserve to be there..
As a follower of the OHL for numerous years and a lifelong Habs fan sadly BruinsFan46 is 100% correct.
Tinordi major flaw is his mobility and basically zero offensive creativity.

Here's my listing of the d-men that I've seen play live...
and yes...there are noticable players missed and I can't rank them without actually seeing them play!

Hamilton
Gormley
Murray
Beaulieu
Harrington
Maatta
Trouba
Pedan (cut from Russia)
Oleksiak
Tinordi

Last edited:

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Olli, is that you?

wow cut the crap, i think you are Rasmus?

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
joe89 said:
I'm not saying Klingberg should be on a top10 overall list(probably not..), but you think 17 year olds Ristolainen and Määtää are likely to outperform 19 year old returnee Klingberg? It's possible, but I don't think so. FEL is one thing(insert youtube on turnover here), but Klingberg has been steady on the National team.
If Klingberg's performance this season is any indicator, Ristolainen and Määttä may very well outperform him in this tournament. Klingberg has looked very unsure of himself at times, and his confidence level didn't seem to be overly high. Maybe Klingberg plays better on the NT where he is perhaps more comfortable, I don't know. Judging on FEL alone, (I've seen about 8 Jokerit games this season and a handful of TPS games) I'd say right now Ristolainen and Klingberg are about even, scale maybe tipping to Klingberg, but overall Ristolainen has a higher talent level and I really believe he has a chance to have a great tournament and outplay some more established players.

Klingberg I haven't seen aside from the HIFK-Jokerit games in SM-Liiga but there I have been extremely underwhelmed by his game. No defensive awareness at all.

Oh, and if you really want it :sarcasm:

You just had to didn't you :laugh:

cenas*

wow cut the crap, i think you are Rasmus?

Haha that guy Olli is fighting looks about 15 years old.. jesus christ. Big time defence man shouldn't fight, they're too important to their teams..

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Haha that guy Olli is fighting looks about 15 years old.. jesus christ. Big time defence man shouldn't fight, they're too important to their teams..

its like his only fight ever and he just protected his goalie, funny how people first complain that he isn't physical at all and don't defend teammates but when their arguments get owned people start saying how he shouldn't fight.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi

Jonas Brodin is a fine defenceman but as we all know a little bit overrated. None of his stats are anything spectacular, he is Olli Määttä type of all-round guy.

Canada and USA has always good defense but after them there are many potential finns that could be in top 15. John Klinberg is 92 born and one of the worst dmen in SM-Liiga, he should be playing in A-juniors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad