OT: Your thoughts on Vancouver clubbing/lounge culture

KillerWhale

Nov 8, 2008
New Westminster
Yup, it was great.

I was also a fan of On The Roxx, and the Delanies/Ozone combo. I don't know, almost all the questionable suburb bars were great.

In Delta? Me and large groups of people I went to ND with all use to get in that place back in the day at like 16 and 17, no questions asked. :laugh:

One time my buddy got attacked from behind while sitting on a bar stool by some 40 year old HA dude though, so that wasn't too cool.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Your theory holds true until you get to surrey...went to Mirage once and never again. That place should be condemned.
The people who live in the condos nearby would agree. We almost bought a place in one of those buildings but fortunately we thought better of it once we realized the kind of trash who would be loitering around our doorstep once that mudhole closed down for the evening.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I go to Mirage every now and again, was just there recently. It has improved a lot, though it isn't saying much.

Far cry from the days where people used to get thrown out simply because there were too many people inside and they wanted to let a bunch more girls in.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Roosters anyone? It's pretty much what you expect a country bar in Maple Ridge to be like. Maybe not, lots of post-high school bros and faux cowboys. Doubt anyone west of Coquitlam would ever go, but it's actually pretty chill a lot of the times. I've had some of my drunker nights there. Cheap drinks, stick to basic high-balls, beer, or shots. Music, meh. Country isn't my thing but it's definitely bearable outside of how ****ing loud it is. They play some top 40 there too which I don't usually like but Call Me Maybe gets a fair amount of play-time which is good. They have a pretty decent live band too that plays lots of 70s/80s stuff.

6/10 I'd say.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Pubs and Lounge I roll with, clubbing I'm too old to attend nowadays. On my travels, I'll check it out but that's it.

Pubs and Loungin it is fine with me. If you find a hot mess downtown, congrats ya'll ;)

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Club scenes in any city are pretty much the same ****. I don't see the difference between Vancouver and anywhere else. Now if you want to talk about the make up of the crowd then thats a whole different subject. But for the most part its a bunch of guys trying to get laid and girls being promiscuous or having "girls nights" lol

The Vengabus

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
Club scenes in any city are pretty much the same ****. I don't see the difference between Vancouver and anywhere else. Now if you want to talk about the make up of the crowd then thats a whole different subject. But for the most part its a bunch of guys trying to get laid and girls being promiscuous or having "girls nights" lol

What's the difference?

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Vancouver's club scene is as faceless as any other city's, just not spread out and all condensed into that five-block stretch of ashtray on Granville. It may not have the most exciting nightlife, but if you broaden the definition a little, it's at least a good step up from Calgary's and Edmonton's. There are some good music venues -- Railway Club, The Commodore -- and I'd say the overall entertainment scene is decent. As for getting drunk, I actually find the pub selection downtown to be pretty good, though the beer is overpriced and service is usually awful.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Yup, it was great.

I was also a fan of On The Roxx, and the Delanies/Ozone combo. I don't know, almost all the questionable suburb bars were great.

Oh the "H"OZone

Stickiest floor in the Lower Mainland.

That and it was so loud in there I came out one-time and couldn't hear for 3 days.

Based on the girls in there, wish it was my sight instead.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Oh the "H"OZone

That and it was so loud in there I came out one-time and couldn't hear for 3 days.

The $1 highballs took care of the sight issue, most of the girls started looking pretty good later in the night.

Bro Horvat

2011 Truther
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver
I really hate Vancouver's nightlife scene to be honest, its one of the city's lowpoints for me.

I do have a bit of a bias because I ended up heading to Montreal for university a few years ago and naturally since I was 18 when I got there I thought every Canadian city had nightlife on par with it.

As stated the pub scene in Vancouver is decent, but there are still WAY too many pubs and bars that have ridiculous cover charges. The Cambie is good, Lamplighter is okay, the Bourbon can be a decent time, the Pint is garbage. I like Chill Winston for a more relaxed atmosphere, but again its expensive and generally Gastown is full of the worst kind of people on any given Friday or Saturday night.

Dado

However, do you feel that the clubbing/ night lounge culture in Vancouver, is money well spent?

By and large, Vancouver's nightlife culture is third rate, in pretty much all aspects.

It's always been that way, not sure why.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Oh the "H"OZone

I never actually went to that place. Don't feel like I missed out either.

What do people think of the Foggy Dew? I mean, I love Irish bars, but that's one place I've never liked.

RewBicks

Feb 10, 2007
It has a surprising "barely contained violence" undertone that clubbing in most other cities I've lived or spent time in has lacked. I'm generally more worried about ending up in a fight with some random angry guy I accidentally bump into while clubbing in Vancouver than I would be in Toronto or several major American cities.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It has a surprising "barely contained violence" undertone that clubbing in most other cities I've lived or spent time in has lacked. I'm generally more worried about ending up in a fight with some random angry guy I accidentally bump into while clubbing in Vancouver than I would be in Toronto or several major American cities.

In Vancouver we go to clubs but because they all suck we are angry about it. :laugh:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I never actually went to that place. Don't feel like I missed out either.

What do people think of the Foggy Dew? I mean, I love Irish bars, but that's one place I've never liked.

Foggy Dew. Don't get a good vibe from that place. It's like a bastardized Irish bar. Too many bros and people seem to feel uptight or what have you to enjoy yourself. It's too chill enough to have a real ruckus of a time, but it's not chill enough to carry on decent conversation. They'll damn near throw you out on a whim, the bar is crowded and seems to work on a fight your way through to the front of the bar system which I find neanderthal compared to the much easier, respectable queue system. Music not anything to write home about. It's biggest advantage is no cover. Can't hold a candle to a real Irish bar like Blarney Stone, even if it is easier accessible.

2/10

LolClarkson*

By and large, Vancouver's nightlife culture is third rate, in pretty much all aspects.

It's always been that way, not sure why.

Its actually not. And Im not saying that as a homer.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Never been a big Foggy Dew fan either.

Again, another place where the hype >> substance.

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
The Cambie, Roxy and Lamplighter are my favourite spots to hit. I don't really go for places like Venue and Joseph Richards any more, mostly because I just don't feel at home at those types of clubs. I think the Cellar and Joe's Apartment are garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad