OT: Your thoughts on Vancouver clubbing/lounge culture

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
If the nightlife is so subpar. Then what do people do in Vancouver

Take a stroll by the seawall for hours or hike around the Grouse grind?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I love the Flying Beaver beside YVR. Food is great and the scenery is nice.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Watergate in Berlin was amazing, as was Matrix (which is probably the number 1 club on my list so far). I plan to go to Karlovy Lazne in Prague this September which is a 5-story club.

Your gonna enjoy Karlovy Lazne, fond memories for sure. Wanted to mention that the Waldorf was a good time as I recall (haven't been for a few years). But heard that it is being re-zoned for condos, not sure if this is still the case? But yeah, Van city isn't exactly renown for its club scene, many a fine pub/bar though.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
I go to Mirage every now and again, was just there recently. It has improved a lot, though it isn't saying much.

Far cry from the days where people used to get thrown out simply because there were too many people inside and they wanted to let a bunch more girls in.

I'm not sure how that is considered a bad thing.

Favourite dive? Pub 340. To be frank I don't mind most of the pubs on the North Shore if you're just looking for a brew. Most of the Donnelly pubs downtown are too expensive or busy to be worth it.

The $1 highballs took care of the sight issue, most of the girls started looking pretty good later in the night.

Sign me up.

Bro Horvat

2011 Truther
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver
I'm not sure how that is considered a bad thing.

Favourite dive? Pub 340. To be frank I don't mind most of the pubs on the North Shore if you're just looking for a brew. Most of the Donnelly pubs downtown are too expensive or busy to be worth it.

Sign me up.

Agreed. The Square Rigger in West Van has free pool/darts and can be decent. And places like Queen's Cross and The Lynwood in North Van are always pretty good to sit and have a beer or two.

SweedishKeepers

Apr 15, 2013
From my experience the nightlife is more for tourism than anything. Like many have said it's far from the suburbs (i.e burnaby, east van, richmond etc.) and costs way too much.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Agreed. The Square Rigger in West Van has free pool/darts and can be decent. And places like Queen's Cross and The Lynwood in North Van are always pretty good to sit and have a beer or two.

Hmm I'll have to check out those places sometime. I tend to not venture over to the North Shore too often, but it might be worthwhile sometime.

Also, Commercial Drive has some pretty cool places. This one place, Biercraft, has some good Belgian beers.

Bro Horvat

2011 Truther
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver
Hmm I'll have to check out those places sometime. I tend to not venture over to the North Shore too often, but it might be worthwhile sometime.

Also, Commercial Drive has some pretty cool places. This one place, Biercraft, has some good Belgian beers.

yeah there are a few decent pubs in North Van. Right across the bridge in West Van there is a bar called the Village Tap House. Great place for beer selection - they have something like 50 beers on tap and 25 more in bottles. It's inconsistent in terms of its crowd though on Friday/Saturday nights - sometimes good people, sometimes north shore high schoolers.

Edit: the Tap House also has free pool and darts.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
yeah there are a few decent pubs in North Van. Right across the bridge in West Van there is a bar called the Village Tap House. Great place for beer selection - they have something like 50 beers on tap and 25 more in bottles. It's inconsistent in terms of its crowd though on Friday/Saturday nights - sometimes good people, sometimes north shore high schoolers.

Edit: the Tap House also has free pool and darts.

Yeah, the tap house ain't bad. A little expensive, but a diverse food menu and a great selection of good beer. I tend to go there after screwing around on the 18 hole Pitch 'N Putt closeby on a summer day.

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
After spending the last year living in Mexico, I can say that clubs in Vancouver/Victoria are lame as hell. I enjoy the pub scene, though.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Your theory holds true until you get to surrey...went to Mirage once and never again. That place should be condemned.

Unless you like partying with 17 year olds, stay away from the Mirage.

The Ozone was legendary though. It was a sad day when that place closed.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
What do people think of the Foggy Dew? I mean, I love Irish bars, but that's one place I've never liked.

It's full of young adults who work blue collar jobs. Ends up being pretty "bro-ish". The pub itself is really badly spaced out so it's a bad vibe. Free cover though so meh.

Roosters is fun. $1.75 highballs and 10 cent wings, too bad it's all the way in Maple Ridge. Not like the Vancouver club scene at all.

As for clubs?
Caprice on Fridays is a meat market if you're into those type of things.
Celebs on Tuesday is really cramped and loud but it's good.
Gossip if you like Asian girls.
Fortune has good live concerts. Joe's Apartment is decent.
My favourite is Bourbon, really great except on Fridays/Saturdays.
Roxy Sundays are fun.

Stay away from Venue and stay the hell out of Surrey/Mirage.

Ball4Lyfe

Jun 18, 2010
Not to hi-jack the thread, but where are the best places to get wings? I know that Food Warehouse place on Granville is pretty cheap, but any other spots in Vancouver?

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah, the tap house ain't bad. A little expensive, but a diverse food menu and a great selection of good beer. I tend to go there after screwing around on the 18 hole Pitch 'N Putt closeby on a summer day.

Tap house, for me, is memorable because I was literally there the whole day on the last day of the Olympics. But it's basically just an overpriced sports bar.

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012
where are some good places to watch the hockey games. Preferably not DT.

I've lived here for 16 years and still don't know all the good party scenes and scenery.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Best cocktail lounge to hit during the week; especially for a date: Guilt N Co in Gastown.

Live music 7 days a week, with the exception of Burlesque on Tuesdays. They get busy and can line up on the weekend, but during the week, it's great. They don't charge cover unless it's by donation for a charity a band requested.

It's a bit pricier, but a cool lounge that's candle lit, intimate and it has board games. Not a place to eat though. It's a cocktail lounge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad