OT: Your thoughts on Vancouver clubbing/lounge culture

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think you guys need to have a look as an outsider for a moment, because compared to most other Canadian cities our club scene is simply fantastic. I have friends visit me from Calgary, Edmonton, and even Toronto and they are in love with our nightlife. They were in awe when they saw that the entire street is shut down on Saturday night and there are a ton of clubs all in that same proximity to chose from. I realize we take it for granted as we see it every day, but to other people it's quite the spectacle.

The lines are certainly bad on Saturday nights, but there are ways around it. If you pay any door man $20.00 you'll skip the line. It may seem a bit steep but if you only go out so often and don't want to spend hours waiting in line, or don't want to go super early, it's a viable option.

Yaletown is really on the rise these days with many new pub/clubs having extended working hours. Hooker's Green downstairs from the New Oxford is a cool place, and Killjoy across the street isn't bad either. Both of these two places were recently granted permission to stay open until 3:00am.

When it comes to nightlife it really comes down to what you're in the mood for. In Vancouver, you have a ton of options. Personally, I find the nightlife here exceptional when compared to many other cities.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
It's full of young adults who work blue collar jobs. Ends up being pretty "bro-ish". The pub itself is really badly spaced out so it's a bad vibe. Free cover though so meh.

Roosters is fun. $1.75 highballs and 10 cent wings, too bad it's all the way in Maple Ridge. Not like the Vancouver club scene at all.

errrrrrr what now? This is the first I've heard of that and the only thing I drink is rum n' cokes.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Headin to Blarney Stone tonight. Not drinking tho (takin a break for a little bit ever since I overworked my liver last week, oy vey)

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
I pretty much listen exclusively to electronic music so I only go clubbing when there is a DJ I want to see. I always have a good time, although lately it has been pretty much 560, Celebs or Ginger62 for good music and decent crowds. Back in the day, Red Room, Plush/Gossip, Sonar/Fabric, even Lotus used to be pretty decent. Drinks are of course overpriced, but that's the way it is.
I live downtown so I just walk/cab when I go out, living out in the suburbs and going downtown to go dancing is a pain for sure.
I guess for me, the club scene is pretty decent. If you are hitting up places like the Roxy, Caprice or AuBar, I could see how some would complain. But I would hardly call the scene here "awful" or "terrible" l :dunno:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The people who say it's terrible are people who just don't like clubs for the most part.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Mirage has improved big time. Also its by far the easiest place too hook up with a girl. Met some teally chill girls there

Bro Horvat

2011 Truther
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver
Anyone been to The Pint? Good, bad?

I've been to the pint once but it wasn't a great experience. The place is also massive and was packed when I went so if you're not sitting down and get separated from whoever you're with chances are you won't find them.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I've been to the pint once but it wasn't a great experience. The place is also massive and was packed when I went so if you're not sitting down and get separated from whoever you're with chances are you won't find them.

Yeah, the place was alright but nothing special. Worst music/DJ I've heard in 10 years. Expensive drinks. Likely will never go back.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
errrrrrr what now? This is the first I've heard of that and the only thing I drink is rum n' cokes.

Perhaps it's just me, but I have never heard of $1.75 highballs. That is insane.

Anyone been to The Pint? Good, bad?

Thought it was alright when I went (on a weekday to boot), decent to good atmosphere. It's funny because the place is big but there doesn't seem to be as many seats as you'd think.

CookieCrumbs*

The night life in Vancouver is utterly pathetic. Bottle rats and heaters from the outskirts that come in and start fights when they realize they're not getting laid that night. Although, you can definitely find some decent little pubs and hole in the wall bars that are a good time.

I've realized with night life and partying what it comes down to is who you're with. Good people creates good energy which more times than not leads to a good night.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
Bars in Gastown > Clubs on Granville.

I've had the best nights at the Blarney Stone, Lamplighter and The Cambie. The Pint is not bad either, but I'm not too fond of paying 10 bucks cover to go into a bar.

If you want a hip bar to go, try the Alibi Room. Great selection of beers from the region at an alright price. It's pretty hipster but without the stuck up feel of most hipster bars.

Canuck Enforcer

Mar 7, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Bars in Gastown > Clubs on Granville.

I've had the best nights at the Blarney Stone, Lamplighter and The Cambie. The Pint is not bad either, but I'm not too fond of paying 10 bucks cover to go into a bar.

If you want a hip bar to go, try the Alibi Room. Great selection of beers from the region at an alright price. It's pretty hipster but without the stuck up feel of most hipster bars.

As someone who is considering going to the Blarney Stone with friends either tonight or tomorrow; this post makes me feel good.

I've heard great things about that place so can't wait if we go!

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
This will be fun, doing an old fashioned club hop down Granville tonight with a bunch of friends. Will report back on Sunday how it went.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
soccer/futbol heads in this thread

any idea what pubs are showing the FIFA Confederations Cup. i don't have Sportsnet World, for the ones thats on during the weekdays, sometimes the weekends too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->