Nashville, TN
I'll try one for the Sabres, in no particular order:

1. Phil Housley
2. Jay McKee
3. Mike Ramsey
4. Jim Schoenfeld
5. Brian Campbell
6. Alexei Zhitnik

I found this to be tougher than I initially thought, so for any other Sabres fans that disagree, feel free to dispute who I listed.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I'll try one for the Sabres, in no particular order:

1. Phil Housley
2. Jay McKee
3. Mike Ramsey
4. Jim Schoenfeld
5. Brian Campbell
6. Alexei Zhitnik

I found this to be tougher than I initially thought, so for any other Sabres fans that disagree, feel free to dispute who I listed.
I was trying to think of who the Sabres 6 should be, and it was the same as yours except I had Bill Hajt instead of Campbell. I loved Campbell, but Hajt played his whole career in Buffalo (14 seasons, 854 games) and was one of the best defensive defencemen in hockey during his prime.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I was trying to think of who the Sabres 6 should be, and it was the same as yours except I had Bill Hajt instead of Campbell. I loved Campbell, but Hajt played his whole career in Buffalo (14 seasons, 854 games) and was one of the best defensive defencemen in hockey during his prime.

Korab would miss the cut for the Sabres?

emmjayb

Jan 4, 2004
I sit here in my St. Louis Blues Al MacInnis jersey with a C on the shoulder and wonder how someone can misspell the name of the Conn Smythe winner from the Flames' 88-89 Cup win.....

In no particular order for the St. Louis Blues:

Al MacInnis
Scott Stevens
Chris Pronger
Doug Harvey
Al Arbour
Barclay Plager
Bob Plager
Bob Gassoff

Ok, so it is more than six. I had trouble narrowing it down because some mean more to the franchise (Gassoff, Bob Plager) than some that were better but didn't spend a long time in St. Louis (Harvey, Stevens).

If I'm missing anyone, I'm sorry.

Edit: BTW, awesome thread idea.

In answer to your question, BEER.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Korab would miss the cut for the Sabres?
Yeah. It's a tough call; Korab was their #1 guy during one of the teams best stretches, but the other six all played for Buffalo longer and I can't bump any of them for King Kong. Well, maybe I'd drop Zhitnik if it was right after he signed a long-term contract.

Ball1374

Jun 1, 2008
Nashville, TN
Yeah. It's a tough call; Korab was their #1 guy during one of the teams best stretches, but the other six all played for Buffalo longer and I can't bump any of them for King Kong. Well, maybe I'd drop Zhitnik if it was right after he signed a long-term contract.

I had debated Korab for Zhitnik, and I only picked Zhitnik because I had never seen Korab play, and also for the points Alexei put up, including leading the team in points in 1997 IIRC. I recall my dad saying Korab was a beast in his time and was a fantastic defense-man, so I think it could go either way with Zhitnik or Korab, a 6a and 6b type situation.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Ohlund-Lidster
Jovanovski-Lumme
Brown-Halward

Kearns, Reinhart, Babych, Oddleifson, Snepsts

Not sure how you can have Jeff Brown on the list. He was good but his stint here was too short to make any kind of impact.

I think with the Canucks, you almost have to lean towards recent defensemen. The team has been garbage for most of its tenure and I think that fact's reflected in the quality of defensemen.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
During their primes; San Jose:

Wilson
Blake
Hannan
Suter
Lafrate
Ozolnish

During how they played with San Jose:

Boyle
Campbell
Hannan
Wilson
Ozolnish
Ragnarrsson

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
Not sure how you can have Jeff Brown on the list. He was good but his stint here was too short to make any kind of impact.

I think with the Canucks, you almost have to lean towards recent defensemen. The team has been garbage for most of its tenure and I think that fact's reflected in the quality of defensemen.

He was one of the most successful Canucks, and he and Lumme were the backbone of the defense on that '94 squad. Considering Mark Streit has been mentioned as an HM for the Islanders of all teams, I think Brown's spot on the third pairing is well-deserved.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
He was one of the most successful Canucks, and he and Lumme were the backbone of the defense on that '94 squad. Considering Mark Streit has been mentioned as an HM for the Islanders of all teams, I think Brown's spot on the third pairing is well-deserved.

Mark Streit is the leading scorer of the Islanders and the backbone of whatever team they have right now as opposed to Brown who was always a supplementary player and never a top defenseman. If he didn't have a wicked slapshot we wouldn't even know his name right now.

I'd easily place Sami Salo ahead of Brown at this point. Way too much nostalgia factor tied up in 1994 - obscures who was really valuable to the franchise over an extended period of time.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Mark Streit is the leading scorer of the Islanders and the backbone of whatever team they have right now as opposed to Brown who was always a supplementary player and never a top defenseman. If he didn't have a wicked slapshot we wouldn't even know his name right now.

I'd easily place Sami Salo ahead of Brown at this point. Way too much nostalgia factor tied up in 1994 - obscures who was really valuable to the franchise over an extended period of time.

That and, Jeff Brown was HORRIBLE in his own end.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
During how they played with San Jose:

Boyle
Campbell
Hannan
Wilson
Ozolnish
Ragnarrsson

Campbell played a total of 27 games (regular season and playoffs) for the Sharks, so I don't the any motivation for having him that high. I'd list the scoring leader on D for the Sharks ahead of all the others.

Ozolinsh
Hannan
Boyle
Wilson
Campbell
Ragnarsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad