Jan 4, 2004
Flames (Calgary era):

MacInnes
Regehr
Phaneuf
Suter
Reinhart
Macrimmon

Who did I miss. Do not say Kari Eloranta.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Devils:

1. Scott Stevens
2. Scott Niedermayer
3. Ken Daneyko
4. Bruce Driver
5. Brian Rafalski
6. Paul Martin

Fetisov and Kasatonov both played for the Devils, but neither was very impressive as they adjusted to the North American game.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Émile Bouchard, Chelios and Laperriere would be good candidates as well.

I think the first five are locks,

Harvey, Robinson, Savard, Lapointe, and Johnson.

Number six is interesting, I would go with Laperriere who I think was the team's best all-around defenseman from 1965 to probably about 1973, a period which included 6 Cups.

In addition, to the players already mentioned as candidates I would add Ken Reardon, J.C. Tremblay, and "Babe" Siebert; the only Habs d-man to ever win a Hart trophy.

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008

Number six is interesting, I would go with Laperriere who I think was the team's best all-around defenseman from 1965 to probably about 1973, a period which included 6 Cups.

In addition, to the players already mentioned as candidates I would add Ken Reardon, J.C. Tremblay, and "Babe" Siebert; the only Habs d-man to ever win a Hart trophy.

I like Bouchard in there, but if he had played his whole career in Montreal I think Tremblay would be my choice.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I don't even want to post the Canucks list lol.

Get ready to cry!

This is measuring their tenures with Vancouver only:

1. Mattias Ohlund
2. Jyrki Lumme
3. Harold Snepsts
4. Ed Jovanovski
5. Doug Lidster
6. Dennis Kearns/Paul Reinhart (Kearns for career, Reinhart for peak value)

HM: Dave Babych, Garth Butcher, Sami Salo, Willie Mitchell

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
For those who played their bulk in boston:

Orr
Shore
Bourque
Clapper
Flaman
Boivin

Brad Park was a Ranger in his prime to me.

Now, if the franchise could name six goalies even remotely close.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Orr
Shore
Bourque
Park
Clapper
Chara

Park had 8 great years here, (more than he played in NY). He was still in his prime. Two of those seasons were 1st team all-star years, against heavy competition.

And there is no way that Flaman and Boivin should come before Chara in my opinion. But I admit that an argument can be made against me, since Z has only been here three years so far.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Lidstrom
Kelly
Goodfellow
Stewart
Pronovost
Konstantinov

Not in any particular order after the first couple, though that is order is probably as good as any.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Get ready to cry!

This is measuring their tenures with Vancouver only:

1. Mattias Ohlund
2. Jyrki Lumme
3. Harold Snepsts
4. Ed Jovanovski
5. Doug Lidster
6. Dennis Kearns/Paul Reinhart (Kearns for career, Reinhart for peak value)

HM: Dave Babych, Garth Butcher, Sami Salo, Willie Mitchell

What a sad list. We have been in the league longer than the Devils and their top six is so much better.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
For The Islanders :

Potvin
Morrow
Persson
K. Jonsson
T. Jonsson
Langevin

HM : J. Potvin, Malakhov, Kasparaitis, Krupp, Norton.

Not sure if I forget someone...

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Orr
Shore
Bourque
Park
Clapper
Chara

Park had 8 great years here, (more than he played in NY). He was still in his prime. Two of those seasons were 1st team all-star years, against heavy competition.

And there is no way that Flaman and Boivin should come before Chara in my opinion. But I admit that an argument can be made against me, since Z has only been year three years so far.

And in one of those years he was horrible.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Wade Redden
Zdeno Chara
Chris Phillips
Anton Volchenkov
Andrej Meszaros
Norm Maciver

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Park had three great years in Boston --- 1975 - 1978.

In 78-79 and 79-80, he played only a cumulative 72 games.

In the remaining three seasons, he still put up good offensive numbers, but his defensive prowess was dulled by cumulative knee woes.

Boivin is the most under appreciated of the great Boston defensemen. He put up 20 plus points during the pre-Orr era and was a literal rock in his own end.

Bohemian93

Sep 13, 2008
montreal

Doug Harvey
Larry Robinson
serge savard
tom johnson
guy lapointe
sprague cleghorn

calgary

macinnis
phaneuf
mcrimmon
reinhart
suter
macoun( surprised he wasnt mentioned on the first flames list)

Last edited:

Hyperkookeez*

Flames (Calgary era):

MacInnes
Regehr
Phaneuf
Suter
Reinhart
Macrimmon

maybe housley(if its based on overall career rather than time spent with the team) or pekka rautakallio

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wesley
Samuelsson
Burt
Hill
Babych
Cote

:help:

1) Mark Howe
2) Glen Wesley
3) Ulf Sameulsson
4) Aaron Ward
5) Adam Burt
6) Sean Hill
hm: Bret Hedican, Steve Chiasson, Risto Siltanen

I think, given another 4-5 years within the organization, Gleason and Pitkanen could crack the top 4. It gets a bit more dicey when trying to see them catch Ulfy though.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
After thinking about a lot today; (I know "get a life", lol), I have to admit that Chara has not yet done enough as a B to squeeze onto the list...

But if there is any justice at all in the NHL (not a certainty by any measure), he will win the Norris this year and solidify his place after Dit, but until then....

Orr
Shore
Bourque
Park
Clapper
Flaman

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Actually, Seibert isn't the only one Habs D to win a Hart : Herb Gardiner did in 26-27. Both guys just didn't play long enough in Montreal to be considered good enough.

I think the first four you named are locks. Peak-wise, the other two are probably Johnson (1-year peak when Harvey was injured) and Cleghorn. Reardon didn't had a peak per se (was consistently very, very good) but absolutely deserves to me mentionned. Then comes the steady Laperriere, the wizard Tremblay and the huge, inspirationnal leader Bouchard. And if we mention Johnson, we have to mention Chris Chelios as well.

Orr
Shore
Bourque
Park
Clapper
Chara

And there is no way that Flaman and Boivin should come before Chara in my opinion. But I admit that an argument can be made against me, since Z has only been here three years so far.

At this point, I would consider a guy like George Owen ahead of Chara, at least as far as their stints with the Bruins are concerned. I would consider Lionel Hitchman ahead of him as well. Not to mention every other guy named in regards to the Bruins. He just has not be there for long enough, and he just didn't get them anywhere yet. Yet is obviously the keyword here.

Flames (Calgary era):

MacInnes
Regehr
Phaneuf
Suter
Reinhart
Macrimmon

Phil Russell or Pekka Rautakallio? Both didn't play really long in Calgary...

Lidstrom
Kelly
Goodfellow
Stewart
Pronovost
Konstantinov

Not in any particular order after the first couple, though that is order is probably as good as any.

I'd have Konstantinov out of this list and Quackenbush in. A pretty good point can be made that Quackenbush was better than Pronovost as well. Goodfellow is tricky, because he played a while with the Wings but wasn't always a D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad