Proposal: Your team’s available Left side D-Man to the Habs for a list of available players and picks

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
:nhl
Poehling
Petry
2nd 2019 (?)

:habs
Weber's future partner

This is more of an "auction" rather than a proposal since I would love to know what other teams would feel comfortable trading for a very good center prospect and a great #2-3 RHD.

As everyone is well aware, Habs need a top-4 puck-moving LHD who could pair up with Weber. Petry has since become more of a "luxury" to this team that is desperate for a solid LHD. At this moment, our best LHD is Mete (who's recently been sent down to play in the AHL), lol.

I know Hab fans will kill me for saying this, but I wouldn't mind swapping Petry for Suzuki, but again... Present me your best offer.

Last edited:

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Gardiner + 1st (conditional: turns to a 2nd if he re-signs)

for

Petry
That's not a bad offer since it helps both teams out. Gardiner is slightly more offensive, while Petry is slightly more defensive (even though he has more points than Gardiner so far this season). I might bite if that 1st remains unconditional. Besides, that shouldn't matter much to you guys since it'll likely be a 29-31st pick.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
:nhl
Poehling
Petry
2nd 2019 (?)

:habs
Weber's future partner

This is more of an "auction" rather than a proposal since I would love to know what other teams would feel comfortable trading for a very good center prospect and a great #2-3 RHD.

As everyone is well aware, Habs need a top-4 puck-moving LHD who could pair up with Weber. Petry has since become more of a "luxury" to this team that is desperate for a solid LHD. At this moment, our best LHD is Mete (who's recently been sent down to play in the AHL), lol.

I know Hab fans will kill me for saying this, but I wouldn't mind swapping Petry for Suzuki, but again... Present me your best offer.

That package makes no sense at all.

Teams that want Petry want to win short term then you add a prospect and pick for team who are looking longterm.

Reactions: go4hockey

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
For the Habs, this guts the 2nd pair. Team is better off in the here and now with either Weber or Petry on the ice for 50 minutes a game than with an upgraded first pair for 26 or 28 minutes.

If I was moving Petry it would be to continue re- whatever the team and adding top ceiling D prospect / young player/ 1st etc.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
That's not a bad offer since it helps both teams out. Gardiner is slightly more offensive, while Petry is slightly more defensive (even though he has more points than Gardiner so far this season). I might bite if that 1st remains unconditional. Besides, that shouldn't matter much to you guys since it'll likely be a 29-31st pick.

I wouldn't have any issues with removing the condition and making it just a 1st. It's a great fit for both sides.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Gardiner + 1st (conditional: turns to a 2nd if he re-signs)

for

Petry

Gardiner fits the bill although he's probably older than what the OP is lookinf for but I'd rather try to get him from UFA next summer and instead take a guaranteed 1st+ for Petry. Habs shouldn't be spending major assets for rentals and I think the Leafs are also better off by keeping Gardiner if they really wanna make a cup run this year.

Edit: remove the condition? Much more tempting. That would be something I'd seriously consider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockinron

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
For the Habs, this guts the 2nd pair. Team is better off in the here and now with either Weber or Petry on the ice for 50 minutes a game than with an upgraded first pair for 26 or 28 minutes.

If I was moving Petry it would be to continue re- whatever the team and adding top ceiling D prospect / young player/ 1st etc.
IMO Juulsen is ready to make the jump to 2nd pair.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Gardiner fits the bill although he's probably older than what the OP is lookinf for but I'd rather try to get him from UFA next summer and instead take a guaranteed 1st+ for Petry. Habs shouldn't be spending major assets for rentals and I think the Leafs are also better off by keeping Gardiner if they really wanna make a cup run this year.
The problem with the Habs is that they're in no man's land. Their best players are all older. The team wants to compete now. Obviously, we're far, far away from being a juggernaut like Toronto or Tampa, but I'd rather have some fun with my team and see some kind of success while taking a chance than just see them rot away and wait for a long rebuild.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’d move out Petry as well and build a score of

XXX-Weber
Mete-Juulsen
Reilly-XXX

Borodin seems like a good target. Wild would need more than Poehling and 2nd though.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Moving Petry for Gardiner is terrible, moving Petry in general for a LHD is a bad idea. The hole Petry would open on our 2nd pair RHD would be far greater than the hole we're trying to plug up at 1LHD w/ Weber.

Reason being, Weber is a stud who can carry a weaker partner on the first pair. Petry fills a similar role on our 2nd pair, both pairs are able to eat minutes and face tough matchups (which is what you want in the NHL, you want to have 2 solid pairs at the very least). Stacking 1 pair up and exposing 2 others makes no sense. Juulsen isn't ready to play on a 2nd pair with no support, not even close.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really get why Habs fans want to move Petry so badly, he's a really good player that's signed for a couple of years. Having your RD be Weber, Petry and Juulsen is really good for the next few years. I think the Habs would be better off trying to trade for a rental or a short term option from a bad team and using them with Weber, or throwing a **** load of money at someone like Gardiner in free agency.

I don't know how good Montreal is at rehabilitating defensemen, but I think you'd be better off getting a struggling young player in a buy low situation and trying to fix them. Do what the Penguins did with Schultz.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The problem with the Habs is that they're in no man's land. Their best players are all older. The team wants to compete now. Obviously, we're far, far away from being a juggernaut like Toronto or Tampa, but I'd rather have some fun with my team and see some kind of success while taking a chance than just see them rot away and wait for a long rebuild.

Another under-rated development tool is winning and/or being competitive. It helps develop your young players into winners. TO did that (didn't sell off UFAs) and it made a huge difference IMO.
On the other side of the coin, Edmonton did the opposite and it just bred a loser culture.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
I don't really get why Habs fans want to move Petry so badly, he's a really good player that's signed for a couple of years. Having your RD be Weber, Petry and Juulsen is really good for the next few years. I think the Habs would be better off trying to trade for a rental or a short term option from a bad team and using them with Weber, or throwing a **** load of money at someone like Gardiner in free agency.

I don't know how good Montreal is at rehabilitating defensemen, but I think you'd be better off getting a struggling young player in a buy low situation and trying to fix them. Do what the Penguins did with Schultz.
Agreed ; but i'd be more inclined to exhaust all of the in house options first , so when everybody is healthy Reilly -Weber Kulak - Petry Mete - Juulsen If this doesn't work then swap out Reilly and Mete and if that doesn't work then it's time to think trade .

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Juulsen isn't fully ready to be a permanent top 4 guy and Mete is better off developing in the AHL.

Acquiring Gardiner at the expense of assets would be a pretty dumb idea, too. He's not very good.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Josi for drouin, mete, and lehkonen

Add Fabbro. Swap Hudon for Lehkonen.

We arent trading you a 23 star winger and a 19 yr old potential top 4 dman,plussss a 20 goal 2 way young winger for a 28 yr old Josi, as good as he may be.

Fabbro=Mete
Hudon+Drouin = Josi

Exchange picks if necessary.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I mean MY kidney probably. Haha

Just thought I’d see if there were any interest. Didn’t mean to offend!

Petry has turned into a bonafide top pairing D at this point, so it would take a lot and I don't see the sense in trading him for a left D unless the Habs are certain Brook is ready to make the jump next year

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00