Your second favorite?

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
If your team gets eliminated, which team do you usually cheer for?

To me being a finn it's surprisingly Sweden/Slovakia, Slovakia has not been really succesful lately so it has been Sweden last couple of years when Finland has failed.

scdn

May 27, 2009
If Canada does not win, I do not heavily cheer for another country, I cheer for players I like to watch to continue playing. Although, if I had to choose it would be Finland.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

If Canada does not win, I do not heavily cheer for another country, I cheer for players I like to watch to continue playing. Although, if I had to choose it would be Finland.

Me too. Russia as a third if pressed.

However, with their goalie, the Czechs have become Canada's 2nd favourite team.

vezna*

my team doesn't get eliminated

but i usually cheer for the underdog depending on the match when canada isn't playing.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
i just cheer for hawks picks and anyone who plays canada. unfortunately i'm in that situation this year. lame dud team usa. :cry:

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Always been a big fan of Russian hockey, so I usually cheer for them.

Otherwise I tend to cheer for the Finns.. although there's arguably nothing better than beating them.

The only team I would never cheer for is Canada who's dominance I find admirable, but also really boring.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
In every tournament after my homeland it's the Czech Republic! I always cheer for them in soccer also if they're not playing against Finland. Such a nice country and lovely people. :)

Sweden also if they aren't the one that eliminates us. Mostly because I have a few good Swedish friends.

After those two Slovakia and USA.

Sometimes Russia also if they have likeable players.

Canada is never my favourite since they're always so good. Nothing against Canada as a country though, quite the opposite!

nahcmo

Mar 2, 2011
For me, when Canada is out, I tend to cheer for Finland. Switzerland in a close second.

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
I am Swiss so I root for Switzerland but sometimes I am so much a Fan of Slovakia that I root for them also when they play against the Swiss. So my second team is for sure Slovakia. Then comes Canada because I love this country and the culture of Hockey.

SwedenCanada

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden
I tend to get jealous if I root for the fins.
Canada is mostly favorites and it feels like they're playing at home every single year. So therefore they're low in my rankings.

1. Underdogs like norway/denmark/switzerland
2. Russia (after the great comeback)
3. USA

But if we lost in the finals I wouldn't wanna lose to an underdog, I would rather lose to Russia or USA. Hate to lose vs Canada, Finland and underdogs. Russia / USA = meh.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Canada first
USA second
Finland third

Though I would love to see an upset one year with either Latvia, Switzerland, Denmark etc win it all.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I don't have a clear second favourite, it seems to change every year. Usually I cheer for the underdogs, but I'm not a big fan of the small nations either. I guess I'm a bit anti-Sweden and anti-Canada though. If both were in the final I'd probably root for Sweden, because Canada has won the tournament so often.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Many Finns rooting for Sweden here. I could never do that, I always consider them as our biggest enemies. Also often cheer against the USA.

Usually if a weaker team is playing well, I cheer for them, like Germany in 2010 WHC.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think most will say whatever team has the most/best prospect(s) of their favourite NHL team. For me, even though the Slovaks have the twin towers, I'm gonna say the Czech's. Like everything about Musil's game other than his footspeed. If he could be a quicker version of his old man I'd be happy.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Many Finns rooting for Sweden here. I could never do that, I always consider them as our biggest enemies.

Me too but only when they're playing against us.

It's the same in football: If we can't compete it's nice to see Sweden, Denmark or sometimes Norway doing good. :) (+Estonia of course)

edit. OT: and after that 5-0 in RÃ¥sunda I was very angry and bitter towards the Swedes for a long time.

massey1984

Some Guy from the Chicago suburbs
Jun 2, 2009
McHenry County
USA is my primary team...land of citizenship.

Sweden is my secondary team...land of ancestors on my mother's side (also Norwegian, Danish, and German).

roto

Oct 26, 2009
edit. OT: and after that 5-0 in RÃ¥sunda I was very angry and bitter towards the Swedes for a long time.
I wasn't. I guess it was a big thing for swedes, but I don't think that Finland and Sweden have real rivalry in soccer because Sweden is so much better in it. It's almost like Sweden and Denmark in ice hockey. It's difficult to be angry if beaten by a clearly better team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad