Boston Bruins Your roster changes / proposals XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I tend to think any hockey spouse would understand the desire to keep playing if their spouse is still effective, and there are still opportunities to reach that mountain top again. Hockey is his life.

Bergeron is 36. Even if he plays 3 more years, he'd still be under 40 if he then retired. Lots of years left to hang with the kids. Why would she pressure him to retire before he felt he was ready? That would be a horrible thing to do.
Not saying she will by any means. I think 3 more years would be perfect. I just wont get caught a 3rd time. Chara caught me off guard shame on the Bruins. Krejci shocked me and that's on me. I wont be caught off guard with Bergie.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
I guess I'll be the 'Well Actually' guy. Objectively speaking, this isn't the way it'd work. You don't get offer sheet compensation until the following year, so they'd get picks in 2023, not 2022.

From a real life standpoint, the Bruins would likely match any offer up to the 4 1sts threshold, so you're not getting a 1st and 2nd for him in the same draft, you're getting 4 1sts over 4 drafts, if it were to happen, which it won't.

Your right and I should know that - my bad. Thanks.

My concern is McAvoy takes another step this year and clearly establishes himself as a top 5 in the league and undisputed #1 on most teams. He may already be. If Hamilton scores 9X 6 at his age then its very possible McAvoy easily gets offer-sheeted at 10+ for prime years. What if the AAV is 11M? This is completely probable. This would be completely unprecedented and I am not as optimistic of that outcome as you.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

My concern is McAvoy takes another step this year and clearly establishes himself as a top 5 in the league and undisputed #1 on most teams. He may already be. If Hamilton scores 9X 6 at his age then its very possible McAvoy easily gets offer-sheeted at 10+ for prime years. What if the AAV is 11M? This is completely probable. This would be completely unprecedented and I am not as optimistic of that outcome as you.

Its nowhere near probable. First, similar players (if not a couple considered better) didn’t go for $11M. Second, giving up 4 firsts for anything other than a true superstar is never going to happen. You can try to peek around corners if you’d like, but I think your inputs are wrong, as well as a probability of all that happening being near zero.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

McAvoy has already established himself as that good of a player at 23. He's a top 5 ES play driver, he's a top 5 PK play driver - he's a top 5 ES defender. He is absolutely worth every penny he's about to get and there isn't really a number that I wouldn't match in an offer sheet. This isn't something to worry about.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
I guess also considering Makar just signed at roughly 9 per sets the market. But he doesn’t have McAvoy’s intangibles. Plus an additional 1M in cap coming. The 4 1st end the discussion as it has every time in the past and this is hopefully the bottom line. I concur. But I don’t see the same team friendly mentality and I don’t see a discount coming. Boy goes to another level and this is going to get interesting at least. But as you guys say…don’t worry - be happy! I’ll go worry about something else more likely.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I guess also considering Makar just signed at roughly 9 per sets the market. But he doesn’t have McAvoy’s intangibles. Plus an additional 1M in cap coming. The 4 1st end the discussion as it has every time in the past and this is hopefully the bottom line. I concur. But I don’t see the same team friendly mentality and I don’t see a discount coming. Boy goes to another level and this is going to get interesting at least. But as you guys say…don’t worry - be happy! I’ll go worry about something else more likely.

The only way this regime loses top players is if they decide they want a full tear down and rebuild, but if they are doing that, they'd have plenty of cap space and a player with likely 10 more years of effectiveness (barring health) is exactly the kind of guy you build around. The NHL could contract the Bruins and I'd still be surprised if McAvoy isn't on the opening night roster next year.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Personally how I view it…

As of now he’s an overpaid bottom 6 LW.

We already have a log jam at LW and are really thin elsewhere where he could be moved to help improve those areas.

I believe his next contract’s min qualifying offer is about $4.5m, he’s not worth that and even if he does turn his game around that money can be better spent elsewhere.

He won’t be moved at the deadline if the teams doing well, and next contract could lower his value even further.

Reactions: BBBruins

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Personally how I view it…

As of now he’s an overpaid bottom 6 LW.

We already have a log jam at LW and are really thin elsewhere where he could be moved to help improve those areas.

I believe his next contract’s min qualifying offer is about $4.5m, he’s not worth that and even if he does turn his game around that money can be better spent elsewhere.

He won’t be moved at the deadline if the teams doing well, and next contract could lower his value even further.
He's overpaid if he sucks again, sure. But DeBrusk is only making around half a million more than Chris Kelly did to be a bottom six forward nearly a decade ago.

Nobody wants him at $4.8m next season, but qualifying offer numbers are largely a boogieman for the fans. It's a rare occurrence when a franchise gets porked into an inflated one year QO instead of working out a rational deal with term.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He's overpaid if he sucks again, sure. But DeBrusk is only making around half a million more than Chris Kelly did to be a bottom six forward nearly a decade ago.

Nobody wants him at $4.8m next season, but qualifying offer numbers are largely a boogieman for the fans. It's a rare occurrence when a franchise gets porked into an inflated one year QO instead of working out a rational deal with term.
That’s fair. Do you think overall Chris Kelly brought a lot more to that role than a Jake Debrusk?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
That’s fair. Do you think overall Chris Kelly brought a lot more to that role than a Jake Debrusk?
The last 18 months vintage? Damn right he did.

While DeBrusk ain't much of a 200' player, his cap hit this year is more than fair if he reverts back to a 20+ goal guy. If he doesn't, well, there's $3.6m wasted.

I've got more than my share of disdain for his recent performance, but when I see the clips from 2018/2019, I find myself saying, "Damn, that's the kind of goals they aren't scoring anymore."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad