Boston Bruins Your roster changes / proposals X

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Imagine in a couple more years with Marchy and Bergy gone? And with their departure, implications for guys like Mac and Pasta re-signing? I'm not a doomsayer, at least not more than the next guy - but we are looking preeeeeeeeeetty tenuous in the near future.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
This offseason reminds me of the Patriots last year. No clear cut direction. Too good to tank not good enough to make an impact.
Kinda.

Last year's Pats was Bill's attempt to completely rebuild under the cover of the pandemic season while trying to be competitive enough at the same time, just turned out that Newton was a bust and him getting Covid probably cost them a wild card.

The Bruins aren't retooling for the future at all, their window is closing in a couple years and I think they want to load up to maximize the remaining Bergy/Marchand core years, but with Krejci leaving a massive hole they just don't have enough to do that and may be stuck between too good to tank and not good enough to contend like 2015 and 2016.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Imagine in a couple more years with Marchy and Bergy gone? And with their departure, implications for guys like Mac and Pasta re-signing? I'm not a doomsayer, at least not more than the next guy - but we are looking preeeeeeeeeetty tenuous in the near future.
Might have to be burned all the way down until we can rise up again. We are watching the slowest death of the 2011 cup team. (better drafting obviously would have been a quick fix, but it is what it is at this point)

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
This offseason reminds me of the Patriots last year. No clear cut direction. Too good to tank not good enough to make an impact.

I mean if Krecji resigned then this team looks entirely different. I think they put all their stock on that and failed.

The direction was clearly trying to emulate Tampa who had a very strong bottom 6. If Krejci signed we would have 4 lines with a lot of talent up and down the forward group.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

I'll play devils advocate... if Barkov gets to free agency, and you get him... then the future looks amazing... it doesn't take much to go one way or the other. Yes, it doesn't look ALL that promising currently... but Marchy probably has 4 good years left at least, we've got Hall for 4 more years... Pasta, Mac... that's not a bad core at all... need to find your Bergeron/Krejci replacements, which, yes, is easier said then done.... but I'm optimistic about Stud/Harrison and hopeful we land a stand through free agency or trade

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT

It’s a cap league. The money is always there to spend. Guys like Pasta and Mac will stay here if you pay then enough.

The only time a team has to do a full rebuild, is if they strategically want to…which might be wise after Bergy. But our owner is patently against such things. Maybe DS can sell it as a necessary evil…it happens in the life of every team sooner or later…it’s good for the ultimate goal.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

The Pats had a clear cut direction going into last season.

Belichick set it up to maximize cap space the next offseason when there would be a FA frenzy. It was a designed throw away season especially with the COVID sit outs

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'll play devils advocate... if Barkov gets to free agency, and you get him... then the future looks amazing... it doesn't take much to go one way or the other. Yes, it doesn't look ALL that promising currently... but Marchy probably has 4 good years left at least, we've got Hall for 4 more years... Pasta, Mac... that's not a bad core at all... need to find your Bergeron/Krejci replacements, which, yes, is easier said then done.... but I'm optimistic about Stud/Harrison and hopeful we land a stand through free agency or trade

Their moves this offseason basically killed any chance of getting Barkov next season, or any other expensive top 6 center. You've just got Bergeron, McAvoy, and DeBrusk expiring and the best case scenario is the cap increases by $1M. They've got just under $2M in carryover bonus overages for this season, so they'll have that space. McAvoy's increase is going to take all of DeBrusk's expiring plus another million or so. Maybe you get Bergeron to take a slight pay cut, or do a 1 year, age 35+ contract with performance bonuses to allow you to spread out the money into 2023-24 if you need to, but the money doesn't work out where you could realistically get to $7M+ in cap space, let alone $10M+.

That was really the crushing blow of the two year deals they signed this year. You won't be able to improve the team significantly next summer via free agency, and you gave up that opportunity for the sake of depth, when you're probably fighting for 3rd/4th in the division.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Their moves this offseason basically killed any chance of getting Barkov next season, or any other expensive top 6 center. You've just got Bergeron, McAvoy, and DeBrusk expiring and the best case scenario is the cap increases by $1M. They've got just under $2M in carryover bonus overages for this season, so they'll have that space. McAvoy's increase is going to take all of DeBrusk's expiring plus another million or so. Maybe you get Bergeron to take a slight pay cut, or do a 1 year, age 35+ contract with performance bonuses to allow you to spread out the money into 2023-24 if you need to, but the money doesn't work out where you could realistically get to $7M+ in cap space, let alone $10M+.

That was really the crushing blow of the two year deals they signed this year. You won't be able to improve the team significantly next summer via free agency, and you gave up that opportunity for the sake of depth, when you're probably fighting for 3rd/4th in the division.

none of the deals they signed will be difficult to move in terms of offloading salary and there is always ways to move out salary if need be

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The doom and gloom here is outrageous.

I love Krejci as much as the next guy, but we are talking about a guy who topped 60 points once in the last 6 years.

Krejci has been running with DeBrusk and a 4th liner for years now. With real crap depth behind him except for post-deadline Coyle/Mojo.

And yet, the team has been a contender.

Now they have Taylor Hall as the Krejci on the 2nd line. And better depth behind him. Hall+Krejci for a full season would have been great. But, I would argue this roster is better than it was on 8/2/2020....

But both on 8/2/2020 and 8/2/2021 the team needed an upgrade at 2RW.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

I love Krejci as much as the next guy, but we are talking about a guy who topped 60 points once in the last 6 years.

Krejci has been running with DeBrusk and a 4th liner for years now. With real crap depth behind him except for post-deadline Coyle/Mojo.

Now they have Taylor Hall as the Krejci on the 2nd line. And better depth behind him. Hall+Krejci for a full season would have been great. But, I would argue this roster is better than it was on 8/2/2020....

hmm, did anything happen in the last couple years that might have prevented him from topping 60 points again? :huh:

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany

I am with you. Was a huge disappointment for me too because Barkov would be just what we need. The optimist in me still sees that you could trade players to get space or aim at the 23 free agency center class (MacKinnon, Couturier, Larkin and others).

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I know the pandemic has felt like its been six years.
point is he had 73 points in 2019 and was on pace for 70 this year but it was a short season.

also they absolutely have not been a contender the whole time. I would argue the only time they have actually contended in the last 6 years was in 2019, Krejci's best year over that span.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Eh.... That's a bit disingenuous. Krejci produced two seasons of 60+ points. This past year, he was only eligible to play in 56 games; played in 51. He produced at a 0.86 PPG pace, 71 points in a full 82 games. The other seasons, he produced at a 0.70 PPG and 0.69 PPG. That would equate to 57 points both seasons and 54 points in a full 82 games. So he went 3/6 for seasons he produced at 60+ points or better and the other 3, he just missed.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Eh.... That's a bit disingenuous. Krejci produced two seasons of 60+ points. This past year, he was only eligible to play in 56 games; played in 51. He produced at a 0.86 PPG pace, 71 points in a full 82 games. The other seasons, he produced at a 0.70 PPG and 0.69 PPG. That would equate to 57 points both seasons and 54 points in a full 82 games. So he went 3/6 for seasons he produced at 60+ points or better and the other 3, he just missed.

Do you think Hall/Coyle/Smith is worse than DeBrusk/Krejci/Kuhlman?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Domi, a C with a 72pt season recently, is getting shopped out of the dumpster fire that is Columbus. Move Jake Debrusk (plus) for him and have the centre position sewn up. Easy.

Domi is more of a winger than C. Atrocious defensively

Do you think Hall/Coyle/Smith is worse than DeBrusk/Krejci/Kuhlman?

It’s far inferior to Hall-Krejci- Smith that couldn’t get it done this year.

This division is strong at C, Boston isn’t anymore

Reactions: Mick Riddleton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad