Boston Bruins Your roster changes / proposals VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Continued: Player Discussion - Your roster changes for next year V

KEY DATES

July 8: NHL buyout window opens (24 hours after Stanley Cup is awarded). Window closes July 27.
July 17: Deadline for teams to submit protected lists for Seattle Expansion Draft (5 p.m. ET).
July 17: At 3 p.m. the Expansion Draft trade and waiver freeze begins. No NHL SPCs can be signed in this period except by Seattle in relation to the draft. All other teams must live with their roster as it exists during the freeze. Seattle is able to sign pending UFAs and RFAs to SPCs (see below) and also to make trades with teams that will be finalized by the league when the freeze is lifted. But two other teams cannot make side deals, nor can they re-sign their own UFAs or RFAs during this period.
July 18-20: Seattle's exclusive window to interview teams' unprotected pending free agents.
July 21: Seattle Expansion Draft (8 p.m. ET).
July 23: 2021 NHL Draft, Round 1.
July 24: 2021 NHL Draft, Rounds 2-7.
July 28: NHL free agency opens. RFA & UFA signing period begins (noon ET).

July 22: Expansion draft roster freeze ends.

July 26: Qualifying offers due to restricted free agents (Kase, Ritchie, Wolff, Lantosi, Booth, Senyshyn, Arnesson, Cehlarik, JFK). Players can not sign them until July 28.

July 27: First buyout period ends. There's a second window if teams go to arbitration. Can buyout contracts over $4 million.

July 27: Teams can begin to talk to other club's RFA's regarding an offer sheet. Cannot sign until July 28.

Reactions: BMC and Gee Wally

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
I'm perfectly fine having Gryz on the second pairing. That being said, we can't have Reilly on the left side as well or we'll run into the same problems as last year. I only think we need one solid LD to fill out our back end - the best we can get. It would be great getting someone to fill out our 3rd pairing, but I'd rather fill out our top 9 first.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
With Hall & Krejci apparently coming in lower than expected, I’m all in for an OEL trade, we can afford that cap hit and our defense would be so much improved. Maybe just trade the rights for Ritchie and Kase.

Carlo and Gryz make perfect money for a good 2nd pairing. Just give Tinordi the same money that Lauzon was going to make and we have four bottom pair guys too.

then just a goalie and we’re set.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Per Elliot Friedman on NHL Network Radio:

Hall expected to sign today; 4 year deal.

Krejci: Possibly re-signing, but less certain.

Boston: still in search of left shot defenseman.

What’s the consensus on Krejci? 2 year deal at a pay cut? Would you be willing to go year to year with him at a bit higher dollar figure; call it $5-5.5m?

Who are the options on the trade market or free agency in terms of a top 4 LD?

Reactions: bbfan419

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
You need different kinds of players, different kinds of personalities. This is definitely on Don Sweeney. Who else. He's the GM and does the dealing. At least he should. But he just doesn't do it, isn’t up to it. When was the last time he was creative on a deal?

I have had tons of patience with Don Sweeney. Defended him but I have had it with him and Cam Neely too. They should take a long hard look at themselves because they said the same thing last year and nothing happened. I mean if true, to hear that the Bruins management was surprised that Seattle picked Lauzon is out of this world horrendous. I think most people knew if they couldn't do a deal with Ron Francis, especially after Jay Leach signed on as assistant coach, they would pick Lauzon.

Now they have to find two new defense pairs. Two completely new. I have no problem with having Griz on the team. He should be. McAvoy, Carlo, Griz, and even Clifton. But after that, they need two angry defensemen.

Lauzon with a season and a half under his belt will be huge this year and they still need another defenseman even if Lauzon had stayed. Oleksiak is gone. Larsson is gone. Both signed with Seattle who didn't even bother to pick up Jack Bean. Why? I think we'll know by now. It's harder to find a Jeremy Lauzon than a Jack Bean, Jakub Zboril or Urho Vaakanaien, or even Matt Grzelcyk. That's why!

They're all better hockey players than Lauzon, better skaters, better passers, but they don't have that toughness, defensive awareness, the ability to block shots or make the hit, just the pure presence on ice, or fight. Kevan Miller had that reputation, Lauzon was building one. If there was one defenseman the Bruins couldn’t afford to lose besides McAvoy it was Lauzon. Especially with Miller not coming back. Now there's talk of Gary Suter and others out-of-date being patchwork and not building.

If you like Lauzon or not doesn’t matter. He’s a role player but an important one. What is it that Sweeney doesn't get? Everybody but Don. Good luck finding a big tough defenseman, shot blocker, good pk playing 20 min night, etc. Much less two of them.

I'm sorry but I have had it. How could I defend a guy who messed up the entire organization the first week on the job? Anybody here could have done better in 2015. It was a gift from heaven but Don Sweeney messed up. Fcked up real bad in the worst way and he keeps doing it or not doing anything at all. That's it.

I have zero confidence in Bruins management when it comes to signing free agents, making trades, or drafting (recruiting) prospects, even locking up Jay Leach was too difficult.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
There’s room for 1 non-physical defenseman IMO. That can be Grz or Reilly. I want everybody else to have bite (or at least be huge and responsible like Carlo)

I agree to an extent although it’s not just about physicality. If Gryz did a better job on the PP or in the playoffs didn’t consistently get outmuscled or beat on D then I would be fine with him. I’m just not sure he brings enough in the offensive department to justify having him on the team. What he does do well is the first pass out of the zone. Everything else seems average or sub par.

Reactions: BBruins

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I agree to an extent although it’s not just about physicality. If Gryz did a better job on the PP or in the playoffs didn’t consistently get outmuscled or beat on D then I would be fine with him. I’m just not sure he brings enough in the offensive department to justify having him on the team. What he does do well is the first pass out of the zone. Everything else seems average or sub par.

i think he’s a really good player but you also almost have to plan for him to get injured at some point during the playoffs. He takes a beating and his size doesn’t hold up well

I think he’s one of the best transition D’s in the sport and I think that element he brings is important to this team. Same with Reilly. But I only want one of them, and one of them is under contract

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Per Elliot Friedman on NHL Network Radio:

Hall expected to sign today; 4 year deal.

Krejci: Possibly re-signing, but less certain.

Boston: still in search of left shot defenseman.

What’s the consensus on Krejci? 2 year deal at a pay cut? Would you be willing to go year to year with him at a bit higher dollar figure; call it $5-5.5m?

Who are the options on the trade market or free agency in terms of a top 4 LD?
Top pair LD should be priority. Outside of Hall, that should be the key.

After years of being the highest paid forward on the Bruins... Krejci under 5M would be great. 5-5.5 is fair. Anything higher, that doesn't look like a hometown discount at that point. We are likely not going to get better via FA, but exploring other options should never be off the table via trade.

And regardless of the first two points, our bottom 6 group wingers needs a makeover badly.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
XXXX-McAvoy
XXXX-Carlo
Gryz-XXXXX
Zboril/Vaak/Moore/Clifton

Top 4 guys:
1. Ekholm
2. Jones via trade
3. OEL
Depth:
1. Savard
2. Gudbranson
3. Martinez
4. McCabe
5. Chara?

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
There’s room for 1 non-physical defenseman IMO. That can be Grz or Reilly. I want everybody else to have bite (or at least be huge and responsible like Carlo)
I agree . I would let Reilly walk unless they move Grizz and Reilly comes in cheaper. If they can’t keep Grizz and let Reilly go. I couldn’t agree with this post more.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The other elephant in the room is that they’re on borrowed time down the middle.

Pastrnak’s still young.

Marchand and Hall still have tread on the tire.

You can argue that Bergeron’s game hasn’t slipped, and Krejci is still a more than serviceable 2C, but the check is coming due.

I would not be opposed to a “hockey trade” that sees them take a lateral step, or even a slight step backwards in the interim, to see them shore things up down the middle.

What that looks like? Your guess is as good as mine.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
The other elephant in the room is that they’re on borrowed time down the middle.

Pastrnak’s still young.

Marchand and Hall still have tread on the tire.

You can argue that Bergeron’s game hasn’t slipped, and Krejci is still a more than serviceable 2C, but the check is coming due.

I would not be opposed to a “hockey trade” that sees them take a lateral step, or even a slight step backwards in the interim, to see them shore things up down the middle.

What that looks like? Your guess is as good as mine.
Haven't heard of many centers available out there. If Reinhart is available I'd certainly hope the tires were kicked on him.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Am I crazy for thinking they need to be prepared for the day when Bergeron becomes your shutdown, checking line center, and you’ve got playmaking/complete centers ahead of him on the roster?

Hopefully that’s a long ways away, but I hope they’re having those conversations and making contingency plans.

At his age and with that wonky groin of his I think that day is sooner rather than later. :(

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm perfectly fine having Gryz on the second pairing. That being said, we can't have Reilly on the left side as well or we'll run into the same problems as last year. I only think we need one solid LD to fill out our back end - the best we can get. It would be great getting someone to fill out our 3rd pairing, but I'd rather fill out our top 9 first.

We need four guys that can play D on the PK on a regular basis.

On the left side…I think we only know that Gryz won’t be PKing. Meaning the other two LD will have to. I could survive Reilly on 2PK if the other LD they have in mind can be a PK1 stud. Basically the adult version of Lauzon.

Gryz McAvoy
Reilly Carlo
Physical vet for PK1 Clifton

I think with the right upgrades to the forward group that can work, but I think the preference would be to upgrade on Gryz or Reilly with someone you trust more defensively against top talent, without losing the puck moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad