Your Prospect Rankings

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
i see. He was lower than certain others so I thought you were't particularly high on him.

I run my little ranking system. I'm not just arbitrarily putting him somewhere. He's actually tied with Armia... here's what it looks like with the scoring...

Rank Name Total
1a Ristolainen 8.7
1b Zadarov 8.7
3 Larsson 7.8
4 Compher 7.2
5 Grigorenko 7.1
6 Ullmark 6.9
7a McCabe 6.8
7b Baptiste 6.8
9a Armia 6.7
9b Fasching 6.7
11 Hurley 6.6
12 Deslauriers 6.2
13 Kea 5.9
14a Bailey 5.8
14b Ruhwedel 5.8
16 C.Peterson 5.6
17 Carrier 5.3
18a Possler 5.1
18a Malone 5.1
18c Catenacci 5.1
21a Locke 5
21b Florentino 5
23a Lieuwen 4.9
23b Varone 4.9
25 Mackenzie 4.8

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
I run my little ranking system. I'm not just arbitrarily putting him somewhere. He's actually tied with Armia... here's what it looks like with the scoring...

Rank Name Total
1a Ristolainen 8.7
1b Zadarov 8.7
3 Larsson 7.8
4 Compher 7.2
5 Grigorenko 7.1
6 Ullmark 6.9
7a McCabe 6.8
7b Baptiste 6.8
9a Armia 6.7
9b Fasching 6.7
11 Hurley 6.6
12 Deslauriers 6.2
13 Kea 5.9
14a Bailey 5.8
14b Ruhwedel 5.8
16 C.Peterson 5.6
17 Carrier 5.3
18a Possler 5.1
18a Malone 5.1
18c Catenacci 5.1
21a Locke 5
21b Florentino 5
23a Lieuwen 4.9
23b Varone 4.9
25 Mackenzie 4.8

For purposes of this rating system to make it easier on Sabretooth :yo:

Ristolainen=Zadaorov>Larsson>Compher>Grigorenko>Ullmark>McCabe=Baptiste>Armia=Fasching>Hurley>Deslauriers>Kea>Bailey=Ruhwedel>Cal Peterson>Carrier>Possler=Malone=Catenacci>Locke=Florentino>Lieuwen=Varone>Mackenzie

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I think that's the highest I've seen Baptiste rated so far. He's had a strong showing for sure, but I don't really think he has Grigorenko's level of talent.

In terms of Offensively talent, yes you're right. But Baptiste beats him every other category-skating, physicality, compete, leadership, versatilility. He was best prospect for us at the Traverse city tourney while also being the youngest. He's not leaning on anybody on his team to produce offensively. His size, speed and compete level will translate well into the NHL while Grigorenko's issues in those area have made his talent irrevelent at NHL game so far. He(Grigs) has clearly improved his skating but it will never be a strong point, IMO. I think a good projection, if all pans out, is to a player similar to CoHo. Maybe his length will make him better defensively and maybe he fills out to be more physical than Coho but I don't see him being a 1C anymore.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Yes, with condorcet votes you can rank prospects equally if you like.

The way a condorcet vote works is it takes every candidate and puts them up against every other candidate. So if there are 25 prospects that received votes, there would be 300 matchups (25*24/2).

So one of the matchups is Risto vs. Zads - The result of the matchup is calculated by looking at every ballot... Risto gets a tally for every time he is ranked ahead of Zads, and Zads gets a tally every time he is ranked ahead of Risto. For the votes so far, Risto vs. Zads was 15-7 in favor of Risto, which means 15 people ranked Risto ahead, and 7 people ranked Zads ahead. That means Risto won that matchup and is ranked ahead of Zads.

So for the full results, Risto won every matchup, zads won all except v. Risto, grigs won all except v. Risto and v. Zads, and so on and so on down the line. Catenacci and Petersen are tied because they won every matchup beneath them but tied in their matchup 10-10, so there is no way to rank one above the other so far. There can also be situations where A beats B, B beats C, and C beats A, which would be another tie, or you can rank them by whichever matchup had the strongest strength of victory.

So, when you rank prospects equally, you're essentially casting a tie vote for that particular matchup. So if I submitted the 23rd ballot and ranked Risto and Zads tied, then the results would update to 15-7-1 in favor of Risto, and it wouldn't change the top results. So only give ties if you really don't care which prospect should be ahead of the other.

Interesting, didn't know about that system so far. What are the advantages compared to just using a system that attributes 20 points for 1st, 19 pts for 2nd etc though, because right of the top of my head I don't see them (but obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about :laugh:). Just looks like it's a lot more work for you and that people who rank players equally basically give up a lot of their voting power. Just curious for some more insight :).

mcove

Aug 11, 2013
1. Zadorov
2. Risto
3. Larsson
4. Fasching
5. Ulmark
6. Compher
7. Armia
8. Grigo
9. McCabe
10. Possler
11. Carrier
12. Hackett
13. Hurley
14. Cat
15. Deslauriers
16. Lieuwen
17. Kea
18. Baptiste
19. Bailey
20. Petersen

Aapo

Jan 16, 2011
1. Ristolainen
2. Zadorov
3. Larsson
4. Grigorenko
5. Armia
6. Compher
7. McCabe
8. Ullmark
9. Baptiste
10. Fasching
11. Possler
12. Deslauriers
13. Hurley
14. Bailey
15. Kea
16. Ruhwedel
17. Carrier
18. Peterson
19. Catenacci
20. Lieuwen

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY

Rank Name Total
1a Ristolainen 8.7
1b Zadarov 8.7
3 Larsson 7.8
4 Compher 7.2
5 Grigorenko 7.1
6 Ullmark 6.9
7a McCabe 6.8
7b Baptiste 6.8
9a Armia 6.7
9b Fasching 6.7
11 Hurley 6.6
12 Deslauriers 6.2
13 Kea 5.9
14a Bailey 5.8
14b Ruhwedel 5.8
16 C.Peterson 5.6
17 Carrier 5.3
18a Possler 5.1
18a Malone 5.1
18c Catenacci 5.1
21a Locke 5
21b Florentino 5
23a Lieuwen 4.9
23b Varone 4.9
25 Mackenzie 4.8

I like your rankings except for Larsson. I just don't think he'll ever be better than 3rd liner between 30-40 points. I think he's a safe bet to stick on our team next year but I just don't think he'll ever be a top 6 forward. I would have him below Fasching.

Other than that...great job.

tmack224

Aug 18, 2009
Buffalo, NY
1. Ristolainen
2. Zadorov
3. Grigorenko
4. Larsson
5. Compher
6. McCabe
7. Armia
8. Ullmark
9. Baptiste
10. Fasching
11. Hurley
12. Deslauriers
13. Possler
14. Carrier
15. Kea
16. Ruhwedel
17. Bailey
18. Peterson
19. Catenacci
20. Lieuwen

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Interesting, didn't know about that system so far. What are the advantages compared to just using a system that attributes 20 points for 1st, 19 pts for 2nd etc though, because right of the top of my head I don't see them (but obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about :laugh:). Just looks like it's a lot more work for you and that people who rank players equally basically give up a lot of their voting power. Just curious for some more insight :).

Well, a points based ranking is just another way of determining an average ranking. It's not necessarily wrong, it doesn't necessarily represent the beliefs of the majority. Here's a hypothetical example of what I mean:

Say we have 10 people voting. 9 of the 10 rank Risto 1st and Zads 2nd, While the other voter leaves Risto off their list for some reason and rank Zads first.

In the points based system, Risto gets 180 points (20*9), while Zads gets 191 points (19*9 + 20). In the points based system, Zads is ranked ahead of Risto, even though 9/10 voters would rank Risto ahead of Zads. Or more realistically, that 10th vote could rank Risto as high as 11th (10 pts) and Risto would still lose to Zads 190-191.

In the condorcet method, the matchup Risto v. Zads is scored 9-1 in favor of Risto, and thus Risto is ranked ahead of Zads. IMO, given these hypothetical votes, ranking Risto ahead of Zads is appropriate and more representative of the 10 voters' preferences.

As far as ranking prospects equally goes, it doesn't really give up that much voting power. Say we have 10 voters again and 9 of them rank Risto=Zads at the top of their list. No matter what the 10th voter does, Risto and Zads will win 9/10 matchups with every other prospect and will end up 1 and 2 in some order. But the preference of the 10th voter would then decide which of Risto or Zads wins by a 1-0-9 margin. I'm fine with that outcome really, but I guess you could argue that the majority believes that Risto and Zads should be equal and thus the results aren't representative. Thats why I say only rank = in the condorcet method if you don't care which is ranked ahead of the other - you're not casting an = vote, you're obstaining from that matchup and letting others decide the order. I might be able to look at the results and figure out if there are more = votes than not for a matchup, but I don't know if it is that big of a deal really.

As far as the work goes, getting the lists into the proper format with the proper spelling is the hard part. Once I have that, there are websites that do the condorcet voting automatically with code, and its trivial to get a ranking from the results. I think it might actually be more work to put all the lists in a spreadsheet and add up the points for all the prospects, really :laugh:

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Well, a points based ranking is just another way of determining an average ranking. It's not necessarily wrong, it doesn't necessarily represent the beliefs of the majority. Here's a hypothetical example of what I mean:

Say we have 10 people voting. 9 of the 10 rank Risto 1st and Zads 2nd, While the other voter leaves Risto off their list for some reason and rank Zads first.

In the points based system, Risto gets 180 points (20*9), while Zads gets 191 points (19*9 + 20). In the points based system, Zads is ranked ahead of Risto, even though 9/10 voters would rank Risto ahead of Zads. Or more realistically, that 10th vote could rank Risto as high as 11th (10 pts) and Risto would still lose to Zads 190-191.

In the condorcet method, the matchup Risto v. Zads is scored 9-1 in favor of Risto, and thus Risto is ranked ahead of Zads. IMO, given these hypothetical votes, ranking Risto ahead of Zads is appropriate and more representative of the 10 voters' preferences.

As far as ranking prospects equally goes, it doesn't really give up that much voting power. Say we have 10 voters again and 9 of them rank Risto=Zads at the top of their list. No matter what the 10th voter does, Risto and Zads will win 9/10 matchups with every other prospect and will end up 1 and 2 in some order. But the preference of the 10th voter would then decide which of Risto or Zads wins by a 1-0-9 margin. I'm fine with that outcome really, but I guess you could argue that the majority believes that Risto and Zads should be equal and thus the results aren't representative. Thats why I say only rank = in the condorcet method if you don't care which is ranked ahead of the other - you're not casting an = vote, you're obstaining from that matchup and letting others decide the order. I might be able to look at the results and figure out if there are more = votes than not for a matchup, but I don't know if it is that big of a deal really.

As far as the work goes, getting the lists into the proper format with the proper spelling is the hard part. Once I have that, there are websites that do the condorcet voting automatically with code, and its trivial to get a ranking from the results. I think it might actually be more work to put all the lists in a spreadsheet and add up the points for all the prospects, really :laugh:

Your first Risto/Zads example seems like it's a very hypothetical one though, because I don't see anything like this happening in the actual vote so far. I see that the method is good to get rid of "troll votes", but luckily we don't have any of these so far.
On the other hand this system kind of diminishes out of the box opinions, if two or three voters have a certain player considerably higher than the rest, say at 12 instead of 18, their votes don't matter at all because that player will still lose the head-to-head match-ups against everyone ahead of them.

But i'm still looking forward to seeing the results, especially now that I know that it won't be as much work as I expected. Maybe it would be interesting to see how the results of the two different methods compare? If it's okay with you how about I compile an average list based on points and you do the concordet system, so we can see how simply changing the statistical method could change the outcome of this list - or if there are barely any changes at all :)?

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Thanks for explaining the Condorcet method -- it's pretty interesting.

My big question is why people keep voting Hackett so high and then refuse to explain themselves. Let's face it, he flat-out sucks right now and has sucked for the last year. The only possible explanation is that people think he is just in a prolonged slump. I'd like to hear the Hackett supporters justify how he is ahead of Lieuwen and Petersen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks for explaining the Condorcet method -- it's pretty interesting.

My big question is why people keep voting Hackett so high and then refuse to explain themselves. Let's face it, he flat-out sucks right now and has sucked for the last year. The only possible explanation is that people think he is just in a prolonged slump. I'd like to hear the Hackett supporters justify how he is ahead of Lieuwen and Petersen.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... there are Hackett supporters?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm curious to see how Cat does next year. Everybody around here was really high on him last year after he had a pretty successful year in Junior. Hopefully after another summer of training he can take that next step. I don't think the expectations of him are that high, but most here were hoping he could be an elite/very good 3rd liner. Maybe fill in on the top 6 from time to time.

It's pretty common for first-year pros to go through growing pains and they will slide on a list compared to shiny new toys and guys tearing up lesser leagues. The end of their first year and then on into the second is often a great indicator of what they may become. It'll be interesting to see what they ask Cat to focus on. Does Murray view him as a checking line guy or a complementary speed scorer?

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
1) Zadorov
2) Ristolainen
3) Armia
4) Larrson
5) Fasching
6) Grigorenko
7) Compher
8) McCabe
9) Deslauriers
10) Baptiste
11) Ullmark
12) Ruhwedel
13) Bailey
14) Hurley
15) Peterson
16) Carrier
17) Possler
18) Catenacci
19) Kea
20) Hackett

It's an impressive list of prospects, especially when you consider that Flynn, Girgensons and Pysyk are JUST graduated.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Zadarov>Ristolainen>Grigorenko>McCabe>Compher=Baptiste=Fasching>Ullmark=Compher=Larsson>Possler=Hurley=Deslauriers>Carrier>Peterson=Catenacci>Ruhwedel=Kea=Varone=Malone=Bailey>Florentino=Lieuwen=Locke=Makarov

Lots of equal signs, but I do not get a chance to see many of those guys a lot (really a CHL watcher) so I have to go on reports/stats.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
@ZeroPT, AdamsApple, yahhockey & 7 11 14: Could you add some players to your list so you have a full Top-20?

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

@ZeroPT, AdamsApple, yahhockey & 7 11 14: Could you add some players to your list so you have a full Top-20?

1.Ristolainen
2.Zadorov
3.Grigorenko
4.Larsson
5.McCabe
6.Compher
7.Fasching
8.Armia
9.Ullmark
10.Baptiste
11.Deslaurier
12.Carrier
13.Hurley
14.Bailey
15.Possler
16.Kea
17.Lieuwen
18.Ruhwedel
19.Catenacci
20.Varone

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

OK - I went back through the thread and may have over-reacted. I saw his name listed a lot of times, but some people listed 25 players. Only 3 people have him in the top 20 (and one person has him at 12, which is what got me confused originally). So, nothing to see here after all.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
OK - I went back through the thread and may have over-reacted. I saw his name listed a lot of times, but some people listed 25 players. Only 3 people have him in the top 20 (and one person has him at 12, which is what got me confused originally). So, nothing to see here after all.

All in good fun, I didn't see him either and was wondering if I missed someone listing him out high. :D

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Zadarov>Ristolainen>Grigorenko>McCabe>Compher=Baptiste=Fasching>Ullmark=Compher=Larsson>Possler=Hurley=Deslauriers>Carrier>Peterson=Catenacci>Ruhwedel=Kea=Varone=Malone=Bailey>Florentino=Lieuwen=Locke=Makarov

Lots of equal signs, but I do not get a chance to see many of those guys a lot (really a CHL watcher) so I have to go on reports/stats.

You have Compher twice but no Armia, I guess one of the JTs was meant to be Armia?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
1.) Ristolainen
2.) Zadorov
3.) Grigorenko
4.) Compher
5.) McCabe
6.) Fasching
7.) Armia
8.) Larsson
9.) Ullmark
10.) Hurley
11.) Baptiste
12.) Carrier
13.) Ruhwedel
14.) Deslauriers
15.) Possler
16.) Bailey
17.) Kea
18.) Petersen
19.) Catenacci
20.) Lieuwen

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Some of the more intelligent among us posit that goalies are such a crapshoot that they are most accurately projected by the coolness of their masks. The Blue/Brodeur spectrum.

John Blue's mask: boring
Brodeur's mask: classic

Hackett's mask: not bad
Lieuwen's mask: meh

It even allows you to compare single players over extended time periods.

Noronen's mask in Finland: badass
Noronen's mask in Rochester: hardcore
Noronen's mask in Buffalo: a step down
Noronen's mask in Vancouver: unimpressive

I know what you're all thinking, but you're wrong. While Hasek's mask wasn't flashy, it was iconic in its simplicity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad