Varone

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Let's see:

1) Ristolainen. Easy.
2) Zadorov. Enough good to start the season and then using that to springboard into things like the Subway Series (his one game was really entertaining), the WJC's and now an OHL Defenseman of the Month honor for February.
3) Grigorenko. Yes, he's been terribly mishandled and yes, there are still plenty of questions about his overall game and yes, they've pretty much put themselves in a spot with him since his contract is running. However, he still has those qualities of slowing the game to his pace, of creating for teammates, and of finishing -- particularly on the PP -- that can help a team offensively. There is a long way to go, but the skills are still very, very interesting.
4) Larsson. All those mid-line abilities and competitiveness and utility.
5) Armia. Perhaps if he doesn't break his hand, the numbers would be more robust, but the progress is there of late and in a game where scoring more than the opponent still matters, he can net "easy" goals with his ability to finish.
6) McCabe. Seems to get lost in the sauce, but anyone who gets nicknamed "McApe" for the way he manhandled the Nats at the WJC's two years ago should be in the offing. Love his 2-way game, really solid kid in all aspects.
7) Fasching. New, shiny toy. Loved his WJC's and what he's doing as a freshman at UM, showing that sometimes kids can straighten themselves out.
8) Ullmark. Thought about him higher, love his progression year on year and how he's playing.
9) Compher. Would likely have been higher if he'd been on the WJC team but you have to love a guy who will lay out to block on shot in scrimmage as the reason he wasn't there.
10) Baptiste. All the tools, has taken them out of the toolbox. Could see him as an excellent mid-line 2-way guy now rather than a bottom 6-er with upside.
11) Deslauriers. Size, energy, willingness to put pucks on net and his mitts on the ice when needed. With the trade of McCormick, long-term, they could use a guy who can police AND play. With his versatility on the PP, his size, etc... he's damned intriguing.
12) Bailey. All the tools but not taking them out of the toolbox all the time. Skill and size and ability to get those "easy" skill goals though...
13) Hurley. I am still impressed by this kid.
14) Kea. Size, speed, defensive responsibility, physical play. The sort of guy who is going to be a Skrudlund type player and winning teams have those guys in spades.
15) Carrier. I loved him in his draft year, would like to see more consistency.
16) Florentino. I can see him rising fast next year if he makes the WJC's as a 19 year old. They can slow cook him in a good university program.
17) Possler. Swedish finish. But that knee injury... it is a serious concern here.
18) Catenacci. Plenty of room to move up, one of those guys going through first year pro growth so the bloom comes off the rose a bit.
19) Ruhwedel.
20) Petersen.
21) Varone. Looked good in recall duty, curious to see what they do with him going forward.
22) Malone. Good rookie season, another guy they can slow cook in college until he's ready.
23) Hackett. Rough year, big tumble. Needs to get his head on straight. With Neuvirth coming in, I don't know if he's around next year.
24) Lieuwen. Probably deserves to be higher, but... here he is.
25) Locke. The kid is small, but he's figured out how to play a more complete game. Contract year, I can see him as an Amerk for sure next year.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
1.Ristolainen
2.Zadorov
3.Grigorenko
4.Larsson
5.McCabe
6a.Compher
6b.Fasching
8.Armia
9.Ullmark
10.Baptiste
11.Deslaurier
12.Carrier
13.Hurley
14.Bailey
15a.Possler
15b.Kea

That's my top 15 as of right now

How would you rank our prospects by position?
IE - who are the Centers, left and right wingers.
The defense is easy and we list them all the time. Forwards not so much.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
How will you compile these after we are done, via average rank or by using some kind of point system?

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
1. Ristolainen
2. Zadorov
3. Grigorenko
4. McCabe
5. Fasching
6. Compher
7. Larsson
8. Baptiste
9. Armia
10. Ullmark
11. Hurley
12. Deslauriers
13. Carrier
14. Bailey
15. Possler
16. Kea
17. Petersen
18. Ruhwedel
19. Hackett
20. Catenacci

ZeroPT*

How would you rank our prospects by position?
IE - who are the Centers, left and right wingers.
The defense is easy and we list them all the time. Forwards not so much.

Do you mean where I think the forwards will eventually end up playing? I'll retake my list and post it:
1.Ristolainen 2/3 RHD
2.Zadorov 2/3 LHD
3.Grigorenko 2C/LW
4.Larsson 3C
5.McCabe 4 LHD
6a.Compher 2/3 RW/C (Swiss army knife)
6b.Fasching 2 RW
8.Armia 2 RW
9.Ullmark 1G
10.Baptiste 3 RW
11.Deslaurier 3 LW
12.Carrier 3 LW
13.Hurley 2 C
14.Bailey 2 LW
15a.Possler 3 RW
15b.Kea 4 C

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
1-Ristolainen
2-Zadorov
3-Grigorenko
4-McCabe
5-Larsson
6-Compher
7-Fasching
8-Armia
9-Ullmark
10-Baptiste
11-Deslaurier
12-Hurley
13-Possler
14-Carrier
15-Bailey
16-Catenacci
17-Kea
18-Lieuwen
19-Petersen
20-Ruhwedel

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Do you mean where I think the forwards will eventually end up playing? I'll retake my list and post it:
1.Ristolainen 2/3 RHD
2.Zadorov 2/3 LHD
3.Grigorenko 2C/LW
4.Larsson 3C
5.McCabe 4 LHD
6b.Fasching 2 RW
8.Armia 2 RW
9.Ullmark 1G
10.Baptiste 3 RW
11.Deslaurier 3 LW
12.Carrier 3 LW
13.Hurley 2 C
14.Bailey 2 LW
15a.Possler 3 RW
15b.Kea 4 C

Much appreciated. As projected.... Really shows that lack of current first line talent.
Hopefully the next 2 drafts take care of that.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
1.Ristolainen 2/3 RHD
2.Zadorov 2/3 LHD
3.Grigorenko 2C/LW
4.Larsson 3C
5.McCabe 4 LHD
6b.Fasching 2 RW
8.Armia 2 RW
9.Ullmark 1G
10.Baptiste 3 RW
11.Deslaurier 3 LW
12.Carrier 3 LW
13.Hurley 2 C
14.Bailey 2 LW
15a.Possler 3 RW
15b.Kea 4 C

Much appreciated. As projected.... Really shows that lack of current first line talent.
Hopefully the next 2 drafts take care of that.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
How will you compile these after we are done, via average rank or by using some kind of point system?

I had proposed an alternative ranking system in an earlier thread that people seemed to be on board with ( see this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=79912801#post79912801 beginning with post #56).

I offered to do the compilation. There was a thought that the voting should be done privately to preserve voting integrity, but it's probably too late for that now. I also had proposed allowing groupings of players (i.e. ties) to make it more accurate.

Anyway, I can try to compile this once everyone gets their lists in. I'll do mine tomorrow.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
We can do a condorcet style vote. Every ranks the prospects in order of preference (top-to-bottom, or best-to-worst, or 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.). You can rank prospects as equals, to express indifference between them. To save time, prospects omitted are treated as if you ranked them at the bottom. So you don't even need a set number of the list of prospects, or for everyone to rank the same prospects, in order to get a result.

I'd be happy to do the calculations after enough lists are in. Its a better system than just assigning point totals to rank, just slightly more difficult and time consuming to come up with the rank.

didn't see this before. that's cool

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
1. Ristolainen
2. Zadorov
3. Compher
4. Grigorenko
5. McCabe
6. Fasching
7. Larsson
8. Baptiste
9. Armia
10. Ullmark
11. Hurley
12. Deslaurier
13. Carrier
14. Possler
15. Bailey
16. Petersen
17. Ruhwedel
18. Kea
19. Catenacci
20. Varone

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Let's see:

1) Ristolainen. Easy.
2) Zadorov. Enough good to start the season and then using that to springboard into things like the Subway Series (his one game was really entertaining), the WJC's and now an OHL Defenseman of the Month honor for February.
3) Grigorenko. Yes, he's been terribly mishandled and yes, there are still plenty of questions about his overall game and yes, they've pretty much put themselves in a spot with him since his contract is running. However, he still has those qualities of slowing the game to his pace, of creating for teammates, and of finishing -- particularly on the PP -- that can help a team offensively. There is a long way to go, but the skills are still very, very interesting.
4) Larsson. All those mid-line abilities and competitiveness and utility.
5) Armia. Perhaps if he doesn't break his hand, the numbers would be more robust, but the progress is there of late and in a game where scoring more than the opponent still matters, he can net "easy" goals with his ability to finish.
6) McCabe. Seems to get lost in the sauce, but anyone who gets nicknamed "McApe" for the way he manhandled the Nats at the WJC's two years ago should be in the offing. Love his 2-way game, really solid kid in all aspects.
7) Fasching. New, shiny toy. Loved his WJC's and what he's doing as a freshman at UM, showing that sometimes kids can straighten themselves out.
8) Ullmark. Thought about him higher, love his progression year on year and how he's playing.
9) Compher. Would likely have been higher if he'd been on the WJC team but you have to love a guy who will lay out to block on shot in scrimmage as the reason he wasn't there.
10) Baptiste. All the tools, has taken them out of the toolbox. Could see him as an excellent mid-line 2-way guy now rather than a bottom 6-er with upside.
11) Deslauriers. Size, energy, willingness to put pucks on net and his mitts on the ice when needed. With the trade of McCormick, long-term, they could use a guy who can police AND play. With his versatility on the PP, his size, etc... he's damned intriguing.
12) Bailey. All the tools but not taking them out of the toolbox all the time. Skill and size and ability to get those "easy" skill goals though...
13) Hurley. I am still impressed by this kid.
14) Kea. Size, speed, defensive responsibility, physical play. The sort of guy who is going to be a Skrudlund type player and winning teams have those guys in spades.
15) Carrier. I loved him in his draft year, would like to see more consistency.
16) Florentino. I can see him rising fast next year if he makes the WJC's as a 19 year old. They can slow cook him in a good university program.
17) Possler. Swedish finish. But that knee injury... it is a serious concern here.
18) Catenacci. Plenty of room to move up, one of those guys going through first year pro growth so the bloom comes off the rose a bit.
19) Ruhwedel.
20) Petersen.
21) Varone. Looked good in recall duty, curious to see what they do with him going forward.
22) Malone. Good rookie season, another guy they can slow cook in college until he's ready.
23) Hackett. Rough year, big tumble. Needs to get his head on straight. With Neuvirth coming in, I don't know if he's around next year.
24) Lieuwen. Probably deserves to be higher, but... here he is.
25) Locke. The kid is small, but he's figured out how to play a more complete game. Contract year, I can see him as an Amerk for sure next year.

I'm curious to see how Cat does next year. Everybody around here was really high on him last year after he had a pretty successful year in Junior. Hopefully after another summer of training he can take that next step. I don't think the expectations of him are that high, but most here were hoping he could be an elite/very good 3rd liner. Maybe fill in on the top 6 from time to time.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Condorcet Results so far...

I have 22 voters through this post. I ran the lists through a condorcet vote calculator and here is the ranking so far:

Ristolainen
Zadorov
Grigorenko
McCabe
Compher
Fasching
Larsson
Armia
Ullmark
Baptiste
Deslauriers
Carrier
Hurley
Bailey
Possler
Ruhwedel
Kea
Catenacci/Petersen
Varone
Florentino
Lieuwen
Malone
Hackett
Austin/Locke/Schaller
Nelson

I didn't vote. Didn't seem right if I'm tallying the results. So far, the only major deviation from the prospect polls is that McCabe and Compher moved up and Larsson and Armia moved down.

Keep voting and I'll keep updating the ranking. For future votes, it would make my life easier if you guys did the following 2 things:

1) Use the correct spelling as presented in the list in this post

2) submit your lists in the following format:

Ristolainen>Zadorov>Grigorenko>Larsson>McCabe>Compher=Fasching>Armia>Ullmark>Baptiste>Deslauriers>Carrier>Hurley>Bailey>Possler=Kea

That's the format I'll have to manually convert all the lists to anyways.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
I had proposed an alternative ranking system in an earlier thread that people seemed to be on board with ( see this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=79912801#post79912801 beginning with post #56).

I offered to do the compilation. There was a thought that the voting should be done privately to preserve voting integrity, but it's probably too late for that now. I also had proposed allowing groupings of players (i.e. ties) to make it more accurate.

Anyway, I can try to compile this once everyone gets their lists in. I'll do mine tomorrow.

Sounds good :)

@Sabretooth: So you want us to us this system where we can give players essentially the same rank now?

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Ristolainen=Zadorov>Grigorenko>Ullmark>Compher=Fasching=McCabe=Armia >Larsson=Baptiste=Deslauriers>Carrier=Possler>Hurley>Bailey>Ruhwedel=Kea>Petersen>Varone>Catenacci

I'm using Sabretooth's format.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I've been playing around with my ranking system... tweaking it... this is how it stands today...

1 Ristolainen
2 Zadarov
3 Larsson
4 Compher
5 Grigorenko
6 Ullmark
7 McCabe
8 Baptiste
9 Armia
10 Fasching
11 Hurley
12 Deslauriers
13 Kea
14 Bailey
15 Ruhwedel
16 C.Peterson
17 Carrier
18 Possler
19 Malone
20 Catenacci
21 Locke
22 Florentino
23 Lieuwen
24 Varone
25 Mackenzie

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
1. Risto
2. Zads
3. Baptiste
4. McCabe
5. Compher
6. Grigs
7. Fasching(subject to change)
8. Larsson
9. Armia
10. Ullmark
11. Hurley
12. Deslauriers(subject to change)
13. Ruh
14. Carrier
15. Kea
16. Bailey
17. Possler
18. Cat
19. Florentino
20. C. Petersen

Condorcet Results so far...

I have 22 voters through this post. I ran the lists through a condorcet vote calculator and here is the ranking so far:

Ristolainen>Zadorov>Grigorenko>Larsson>McCabe>Compher=Fasching>Armia>Ullmark>Baptiste>Deslauriers>Carrier>Hurley>Bailey>Possler=Kea

That's the format I'll have to manually convert all the lists to anyways.[/B]

I think 3-10 about even so sorry if this doesn't create too much deviation.

Ristolainen>Zadorov>Baptiste=McCabe=Compher=Grigorenko=Fasching>Larsson=Armia=Ullmark>Hurley=Deslauriers>Ruhwedel=Carrier>Kea=Bailey=Possler>Catenacci>Florentino=Petersen

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Sounds good :)

@Sabretooth: So you want us to us this system where we can give players essentially the same rank now?

Yes, with condorcet votes you can rank prospects equally if you like.

The way a condorcet vote works is it takes every candidate and puts them up against every other candidate. So if there are 25 prospects that received votes, there would be 300 matchups (25*24/2).

So one of the matchups is Risto vs. Zads - The result of the matchup is calculated by looking at every ballot... Risto gets a tally for every time he is ranked ahead of Zads, and Zads gets a tally every time he is ranked ahead of Risto. For the votes so far, Risto vs. Zads was 15-7 in favor of Risto, which means 15 people ranked Risto ahead, and 7 people ranked Zads ahead. That means Risto won that matchup and is ranked ahead of Zads.

So for the full results, Risto won every matchup, zads won all except v. Risto, grigs won all except v. Risto and v. Zads, and so on and so on down the line. Catenacci and Petersen are tied because they won every matchup beneath them but tied in their matchup 10-10, so there is no way to rank one above the other so far. There can also be situations where A beats B, B beats C, and C beats A, which would be another tie, or you can rank them by whichever matchup had the strongest strength of victory.

So, when you rank prospects equally, you're essentially casting a tie vote for that particular matchup. So if I submitted the 23rd ballot and ranked Risto and Zads tied, then the results would update to 15-7-1 in favor of Risto, and it wouldn't change the top results. So only give ties if you really don't care which prospect should be ahead of the other.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I think 3-10 about even so sorry if this doesn't create too much deviation.

Ristolainen>Zadorov>Baptiste=McCabe=Compher=Grigorenko=Fasching>Larsson=Armia=Ullmark>Hurley=Deslauriers>Ruhwedel=Carrier>Kea=Bailey=Possler>Catenacci>Florentino=Petersen

no problem.

If anyone else wants to re-submit with ='s just let me know so I don't end up counting your rankings twice

ZeroPT*

I've been playing around with my ranking system... tweaking it... this is how it stands today...

1 Ristolainen
2 Zadarov
3 Larsson
4 Compher
5 Grigorenko
6 Ullmark
7 McCabe
8 Baptiste
9 Armia
10 Fasching
11 Hurley
12 Deslauriers
13 Kea
14 Bailey
15 Ruhwedel
16 C.Peterson
17 Carrier
18 Possler
19 Malone
20 Catenacci
21 Locke
22 Florentino
23 Lieuwen
24 Varone
25 Mackenzie

Not a fan of Fasching?

matthew94

Jul 2, 2005
WNY
www.matthew94.blogspot.com
Not a fan of Fasching?

I don't think being ranked 10th in THIS prospect pool is a bad thing at all. Jame has his ranked between a former 1st round pick and a 2nd from last year's (deep) draft. I'd say that's high praise.

That he's averaging about 6th on these lists probably has more to do with 'shiny new toy' syndrome than anything else, in my opinion. But no doubt he's an exciting prospect.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
1. Ristolainen
2. Zadorov
3. Compher
4. Larsson
5. Grigorenko
6. McCabe
7. Armia
8. Baptiste
9. Fasching
10. Ullmark
11. Possler
12. Hurley
13. Deslauriers
14. Bailey
15. Ruhwedel
16. Carrier
17. Kea
18. Varone
19. Cal Peterson
20. Catenacci
21. Malone
22. Florentino
23. Lieuwen
24. Locke
25. Makarov

In your format

Ristolainen>Zadarov>Compher>Larsson>Grigorenko>McCabe>Armia>Baptiste=Fasching>Ullmark>Possler=Hurley>Deslauriers>Bailey>Ruhwedel>Carrier>Kea>Varone>Cal Peterson>Catenacci>Malone>Florentino>Lieuwen>Locke>Makarov

Konix

Lurkin'
Jul 7, 2013
Hamburg, NY

I think that's the highest I've seen Baptiste rated so far. He's had a strong showing for sure, but I don't really think he has Grigorenko's level of talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad