Your preferred center solution

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Kirby Dach was absolutely my top target and it’s frustrating we missed out on him. We could’ve packaged something that beat out 13 overall.

These are young prospects/players I would absolutely overpay for in either a 1for1/combination. I’d be willing to move assets like Kravtsov, Lundkvist, Cuylle, Berard, 2023 1st, 2024 1st to make it happen.

Fyodor Svechkov
Shane Pinto
Thomas Bordeleau

These two are likely available and ready for minutes:

Alex Turcotte
Cody Glass

Other underperforming projects I’d consider and give a chance to:

Gabriel Vilardi
Rasmus Asplund
Jack Drury
Ryan Poehling
I think the issue with dealing for Dach is he hasn't proven anything yet. While we might both like to have dealt for him since the cost wasn't prohibitive, I feel like if the organization is going to bring someone new in they want that guy to have produced elsewhere so he can slide right in and contribute and win now.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Kirby Dach was absolutely my top target and it’s frustrating we missed out on him. We could’ve packaged something that beat out 13 overall.

These are young prospects/players I would absolutely overpay for in either a 1for1/combination. I’d be willing to move assets like Kravtsov, Lundkvist, Cuylle, Berard, 2023 1st, 2024 1st to make it happen.

Fyodor Svechkov
Shane Pinto
Thomas Bordeleau

These two are likely available and ready for minutes:

Alex Turcotte
Cody Glass

Other underperforming projects I’d consider and give a chance to:

Gabriel Vilardi
Rasmus Asplund
Jack Drury
Ryan Poehling

He's more of a hybrid and I wouldn't call him an under performer.

Signing Copp is a disaster …

Yes within 2-3 years his game is going to fall off a cliff.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I think the issue with dealing for Dach is he hasn't proven anything yet. While we might both like to have dealt for him since the cost wasn't prohibitive, I feel like if the organization is going to bring someone new in they want that guy to have produced elsewhere so he can slide right in and contribute and win now.

Kravtsov, Lundkvist, Cuylle, and Berard haven’t proven anything either. We could have found a combination rich enough for Chicago.

We can’t afford to acquire a true top 6 proven producer with our cap situation the next few years. 23-24 will be a nightmare if we sign an expensive center and the Laf/Miller offer sheets will be very real. Just imagine if those guys have all star seasons and we are locked into several years of NMCs with Malkin or Copp + the immovable Kreider/Trouba/Panarin deals. Imagine Lafreniere puts up 70 points and Montreal drops 9M x 7 years on the table and he wants to play near home? Maybe we match but the rest of the young cast disappears because of it. Either way, we would be totally f****d.

It’s possible the right option appears, but I don’t see it right now. This team needs to be smart and trade wing/defense potential for center potential. I’m not saying every player I mentioned is the right choice, but the Rangers need to zero in on a center they feel can take the a significant step, and just GO for it.

It’s either overpay or “buy low, dream big” time.

Reactions: Circus86

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Right now it's someone on a short term deal, who won't cost that much in a trade or a UFA.

Stastny
Malkin if he takes a short term deal
Henrique with retention

Reactions: blue425

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Going to wait until after free agent frenzy before re-evaluating.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Malkin for 3 years - learn it .
It’s happening like I said last week.
I expect Kane to end up with the Islanders.

• Love
Reactions: EdJovanovski

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't think there's really a wrong answer (aside from extending Strome). I still think they will make a legitimate run at extending Copp before Wednesday, he has to decide really if he wants to get paid or win. If that doesnt work out I am sure they'll talk to Malkin, but I don't see how the money works considering the Rangers wont offer him more than PIT is. From there, youre probably looking at a Stastny/D. Strome/Henrique veteran stop gap. Which is fine I guess, the team will obviously be good enough to make the playoffs but still will be a step below Toronto & Tampa Bay in the East.

The x-factor is if they want to step up for JT Miller or Dubois. They definitely have the pieces to get either guy. Drury has had his finger on the pulse of what the team needs since he was promoted, so I am actually pretty confident he'll get it right.

Reactions: DanishRanger

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Sign Stastny planning to use him as the 3C and just play Chytil.

The Rangers are the most unwilling team in the league to play young forwards and then we wonder why we have poor development and a lack of cheap contributors.

If PLD isn’t available at the moment or the price is simply too high, this is a close option 2 for me.

It might even be a better option to sign Stastny and kick the can down the road for one year, but I wouldn’t be able to turn down the guaranteed, young, long term 2C option if the trade/contract value is within range.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
For this poll, are they all at the same salary? For example, getting Malkin would be amazing but I don't think he's affordable unless he takes a massive paycut.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Pierre Luc Dubois.

Just turned 24.

Two times scored 60 points.

History with Panarin.

Trade for him, lock him up long term at around $6mil cap hit. He could break out as a 70+ point player as soon as this season and that contract would be a bargain.

Perfect target, age fits with the young core.
As long as nobody named Laf, Kakko, Schneider, Miller etc are included, I'm good with that.

Lundkvist level prospects I'm okay dealing, but nobody else.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't think we can afford to add a center, at least not via free agency.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't really have a problem if Chytil stays at 3C. Hes a pretty massive mismatch for other teams there.

We should be focused on adding the best players we can with out getting stupid about payment. C or W doesn't really matter, you don't need great C depth to win.

Plus I'm convinced we end up with Stastny this summer regardless of anything else we may end up doing. Like even if Henrique is added, I bet we still get Stastny as insurance (which is totally fine.) He can line up on the wing too.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I went with Trochek here, but there's a few contingencies.

1) They don't overpay for him on a bad contract. This club simply cannot afford to do that.
2) They find a way to keep Copp as well.

Trochek at Center is a really valueable piece to this puzzle. Very much capable of centering the 2nd line. With that said, He's far more physical, and harder to play against then Ryan Strome. Thats Drury's model right? Bring in players that are harder to play against. Players that can play a heavier game when it matters most. Trochek fits that model better then any of the other players mentioned that are Free Agents.

I also like the idea of the Rangers moving Chytil up from time to time and sliding Trochek down to the 3rd line. Assuming Blais returns to form, that would be a nasty duo to play against.

I love Copp on the wing. I think he's a great fit. I like him at Center as well, but on the wing he adds a different element to the top 6. Not sure if there is a way to fit them both. Probably not, but you never know. Really wish they could shed the Nemeth contract on a trade. Maybe attach an asset.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The more I think about it the more the decision of HAVING TO FIND A 2C will become a detriment to the team long term. In the short term it will be nice to have, but almost all of the options include a commitment that will force the Rangers to have holes in other areas of the roster. They went through this for years making big free agent signings.

Now maybe there is a sneaky option out there through trade that remedies that, i dont know. Of course you want to improve your 5 on 5 scoring ability if you want to take the next step in the playoffs. I'd argue that 5 on 5 defense is just as important especially since you have an All-Worl vezina winner to focus the roster build around.

Maybe the best option is to do nothing and let Chytil take the spot and see whats on the market at the deadline/next summer when you may have a little bit of a clearer picture. I'd guard against any fools gold this team acquired with their great playoff run.

Drury made some great moves that fit into this team well, and they were all impact players. Its very possible that all 4 wont be back, in addition to Strome so thats a big chunk of the starting lineup that wont be back. So I think the smart thing to do is reassess and continue building in a smart manner. While its nice to think the next step is the Cup final, this is still a very young team and even if they had those 5 players returning, there is no guarantee they'll get back to that spot. They were very close to losing in the first round.

Dont over-extend for a 2C, whoever it may be and it may be best to wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaels Arms

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Any interest on taking a flier on Colin White? Just bought out and prob comes cheap enough where we could still get a value vet to provide us with both a stop gap and potentially long term solution at 3C?

Any interest on taking a flier on Colin White? Just bought out and prob comes cheap enough where we could still get a value vet to provide us with both a stop gap and potentially long term solution at 3C?
Same question on Kubalik after not being qualified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad