Your Pick At 3rd Overall

Bps21*

I generally disagree with everything La Cosa Nostra says.

But he's right.

If we are the team that lost out on McEichel in the stretch run...it's not just another in a long long long long long long line of insufferable and unwavering failure from our sports teams...it's the biggest.

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
i generally disagree with everything la cosa nostra says.

But he's right.

If we are the team that lost out on mceichel in the stretch run...it's not just another in a long long long long long long line of insufferable and unwavering failure from our sports teams...it's the biggest.

this

BornBuffaloFan

Nov 30, 2014

But he's right.

If we are the team that lost out on McEichel in the stretch run...it's not just another in a long long long long long long line of insufferable and unwavering failure from our sports teams...it's the biggest.

Truth... we can't win right. and we can't lose right

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

But he's right.

I generally disagree with both of you, and once again you guys both are complemty wrong. As usual, your opinions are ridiculous, but at least you're consistent!

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't think there can be anything more crushing then losing out on McEichel in the last ~6 weeks of the season. I would take it harder then I did the 99 scf. With 24 games left we have a 6 point lead. If we lose out on 30th and then subsequently the lottery I'd be devastated. We deserve a Crosby type player. We deserved one in 05 as it was.

We don't "deserve" anything. If this was next year, last place wouldn't even guarantee a top 3 pick, so just be thankful we slipped under at the last minute with our tank. Newly tanking teams like Toronto won't have the draft luxury we've had two years in a row. You're being absolutely ridiculous.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I generally disagree with both of you, and once again you guys both are complemty wrong. As usual, your opinions are ridiculous, but at least you're consistent!

:laugh: maybe if you didn't disagree with me you would be right more often.

Me = Myers is not a franchise dman. Not worth a kings ransom

Majority = Myers is a top pairing dman, will return Taylor Hall

We all know what happened. We didn't get close to the value so many here expected.

Also said Sekera would not return that much, definitely not a first. Many disagreed. Was moved for a 2nd and a garbage dman (And now the Sekera lovers want him back for 6m per. Last year was an aberration not the norm. He's a good #3... Not worth more then 4.5 per)

And of course the infamous Hodgson/Ennis debate. You can count on one hand who were pro Ennis while the other 99% were pro Hodgson. Nothing further needed.

So you can stop pretending I'm constantly wrong when I bet my predictions are more right then yours over the long run.

And saying I would stop watching the team is a hyperbole but I might as well if we miss out on McEichel. The Sabres possibly just had the worst 2 year stretch in modern NHL history.... I think without a McEichel that continues for even longer. So yeah, getting 30th is kind of a big deal . It was funny when people were trying to rationalize it when we had the winning streak that it wouldn't be that "bad" if we got 3rd because the kids were playing "good".... Not one Sabre is having a season worth writing home about and totally not worth the complete garbage I have endured ( and paid $$ ) the last two years. Even the beloved Zemgod has fallen off big time lately. If we go through 100+ losses in two years and don't get a McEichel to show for it, then well Murray failed big time.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
If this happened I'd take Hanifin, still need to watch him a bit more but from the few BC games and the WJC not really much to dislike. Tremendous skater, does everything well, great production as a freshman, has the size everyone wants. In the insane event that Buffalo picks third, it would obviously be disappointing not to get McEichel but Hanifin is going to be a stud.

And for what it's worth... I'd be taking Strome over Marner if they were to take a forward. Not a knock on Marner at all really, just love Strome.

Bps21*

Anyone ok with drafting 3 is a loser. Total loser mentality. You are literally ok with the ultimate failure. Have the nuts to go through it and the balls to finally expect greatness. If you are fine middling it again to an oh well we get what we get...then you don't deserve success. You are a part of the relentless problem in the whole process. Accepting 6 division titles in 46 years...yeah screw it...dream bigger. If this team blows a lead on these players then anyone who supports that is a loser

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Anyone ok with drafting 3 is a loser. Total loser mentality. You are literally ok with the ultimate failure. Have the nuts to go through it and the balls to finally expect greatness. If you are fine middling it again to an oh well we get what we get...then you don't deserve success. You are a part of the relentless problem in the whole process. Accepting 6 division titles in 46 years...yeah screw it...dream bigger. If this team blows a lead on these players then anyone who supports that is a loser

Do you not realize this is the same kind of nonsense people say about us being OK with being in last place? A "loser mentality". We can't have a "loser mentality". We don't make decisions. We have no influence over where the team finishes, so how are we in a position to be "OK" or not "not OK' with it? The bottom line is it isn't the end of the world if we draft third, no matter how disappointing it'd be.

Bps21*

********. And you know it. Tim Murray wants to be last. We aren't children and we know it. It's ok to admit it. If you are afraid to do it publicly you can do it to yourself. Terry Pegula wants to be last. Tim Murray wants to be last. If they don't finish last they are failures who lost. Period. And finishing third with 2 elite forwards available...unabashed unmitigated absolute failure. They are last in everything. Every. Thing. If someone beats you because of a hot goalie that you can move or a fossil of a joke of a coach who will be fired...then. Shame. On. You.

You know the score. Be a grown up about it. Admit it. Own it. And be pissed if they **** it up.

Now is not the time for soft ********.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
********. And you know it. Tim Murray wants to be last. We aren't children and we know it. It's ok to admit it. If you are afraid to do it publicly you can do it to yourself. Terry Pegula wants to be last. Tim Murray wants to be last. If they don't finish last they are failures who lost. Period. And finishing third with 2 elite forwards available...unabashed unmitigated absolute failure. They are last in everything. Every. Thing. If someone beats you because of a hot goalie that you can move or a fossil of a joke of a coach who will be fired...then. Shame. On. You.

You know the score. Be a grown up about it. Admit it. Own it. And be pissed if they **** it up.

I will try my best to be grown up about things in the future

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
We don't "deserve" anything. If this was next year, last place wouldn't even guarantee a top 3 pick, so just be thankful we slipped under at the last minute with our tank. Newly tanking teams like Toronto won't have the draft luxury we've had two years in a row. You're being absolutely ridiculous.

Good point. I don't like this sense of entitlement that some fans have developed / are developing. Guess it's only natural but I expect this kind of thing more from other fanbases, not so much Buffalo.

Do you not realize this is the same kind of nonsense people say about us being OK with being in last place? A "loser mentality". We can't have a "loser mentality". We don't make decisions. We have no influence over where the team finishes, so how are we in a position to be "OK" or not "not OK' with it? The bottom line is it isn't the end of the world if we draft third, no matter how disappointing it'd be.

Great post as usual Rob.

Over the past couple of weeks I've got to the stage in my own head where 30th is more or less in the bag - & I'm thinking about having Eichel in the team next season. But nothing's set in stone. Another team could go on a Sabres-esque run between now & April and beat us to it. Or, the Sabres could just play with enough pride & steal enough points to lift them out of 30th. If such a situation happened I'd clearly be disappointed in terms of the draft just like anyone else would naturally be, but would look towards the many positives moving forward.

I'd look at still getting a major building block at three (likely Hanifin) likely creating a formiddable top four in the not too distant future. I'd look at all the other future talent the team already has. I'd also look at having a GM in the job who is not afraid to make moves to get what he wants - looking at fulfilling the bigger picture sooner rather than later - something Sabres have been craving since forever.

But another thing I'd try to find positivity in - if the Sabres don't finish 30th it's likely because players like Girgensons, Risto, Zadorov or maybe others on the roster refuse to allow it to happen & step up beyond their years - despite the obvious huge shortcomings of the current squad (basically on paper having no business finishing anywhere but 30th). If some of these young guys are already prepared to fight so hard against the 'loser mentality' what isn't to love about that moving forward ? As I mentioned above - on the basis of the season so far I don't see this materialising - but stranger things have certainly happened.

Basically, my viewpoint is that missing out on McE would be a blow (a bitter blow for some people maybe) - but is still in no way, shape or form Game Over or Armageddon like some are predicting.

Also (again IMO) - anyone who wants to believe the team is 'intentionally' tanking on-ice either has no idea about professional sport / the athletes that play it or are just plain kidding themselves. No player is going out there to 'win' 30th place despite what the fans want. The GM can put a sub par roster out there & an inept coach on the bench - but thats as far as it goes for me.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Oh I get it. You forgot the 1 after the 3.

You meant 31st. I know nobody here would suggest we are drafting 3rd overall That'd just be awful. I bet some posters would threaten to abandon the Sabres if something as unthinkable happened as us finishing 3rd.

I don't think any of those players will be available at 31st though.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON

I'd be absolutely crushed if the Sabres didn't finish last, I feel like I look at the standings and read every other ****** teams schedule every day trying to convince myself it's over. No one doesn't want to finish last. The thread is called "Your Pick At 3rd Overall" and instead of being a dick about people who 'are ok' with picking 3rd, you could give input on a what-if scenario. Saying I'd pick Hanifin isn't being ok with finishing third... it's just answering the question. Some people on "Hockey's Future" Boards like to talk about prospects - pretty mind blowing.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

When you put it so rationally it's hard to argue with you but I'll try.

Most of us can walk and chew gum. On the one hand we can embrace tanking and acknowledge finishing 3rd would suck and be an incredibly depression outcome for this year. Particularly with where we are right now. But some of us can also realize that even with that crushing outcome the sky isn't falling. And things can still work out great.

Yelling and screaming about it happening is hardly what I would consider being "grown up" about things. Understanding that if things don't work out the world isn't ending is hardly the same thing as denying the tank not does it mean we don't want to finish last or don't realize that's the goal.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
On the one hand we can embrace tanking and acknowledge finishing 3rd would suck and be an incredibly depression outcome for this year. Particularly with where we are right now. But some of us can also realize that even with that crushing outcome the sky isn't falling. And things can still work out great.

Yelling and screaming about it happening is hardly what I would consider being "grown up" about things.

Bingo. What I would consider the "grown up" reaction to finishing 3rd would be something along the lines of being angry for a bit then getting the heck over it while attempting to be excited about who we're getting with the 3rd overall pick and how HE can help us in the rebuild and win a Stanley Cup.

Whining and throwing a temper tantrum and calling other people "losers" isn't exactly what I'd call a "grown up" mentality.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
If the entire rebuild hinges on McEichel this coming draft then there are bigger issues to be upset about than drafting 3rd. :laugh:

nikyc

Nov 16, 2011
exactly why are we picking at #3?

curse you for even thinking it could happen.

Maybe Toronto swaps there 3rd position and a player out for your 2nd. Do you need another center? That leaves Buffalo with options.
Of coarse this depends on whether or not you have the 2nd overall pick. A first and you have to take McDavid

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad