Your opening day lineups

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
All these line combos have the same theme - we as fans should really be excited about the upcoming season!

Reactions: Ola

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Panarin Chytil Kakko
Namestnikov Strome Fast
Andersson Howden Kravtsov
Lemieux

Skjei Trouba
Staal DeAngelo
Hajek Fox
Smith

Put Panarin with Zibanejad and the team is gonna be chasing the puck 2/3 of the game. We'll get to see plenty of those two together 5v4 and 6v4.

---

2018-19 forward line combos that played at least 100 5v5 mins together:

Kreider Zibanejad Zuccarello | 245 mins
Kreider Zibanejad Fast | 132 mins
Namestnikov Strome Fast | 129 mins
Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich | 124 mins

K.I.S.S.

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones and Ola
Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Panarin - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Kreider - Chytil - Kakko
Lemieux - Howden - Kravstov
Namestnikov - Strome - Andersson

Skjei - Trouba
Hajek - DeAngelo
Staal - Fox

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Slight tweak and not that I agree with it but I think the opening night roster looks like...

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Buchnevich
Namestnikov-Strome-Kravstov
Lemieux-Howden-Fast

Skjei Trouba
Staal Fox
Hajek DeAngelo

I agree w this but I won’t be shocked If Namestnikov goes and Andersson is at 4C w Strome in the wing

That means Kravtsov LW

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
I'd prefer to try and spread the scoring as best we can.

Kreider - Zibby - Buch
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Namest - Chytil - Kravtsov
Lemieux - Howden - Fast
Lias playing every other game for one of the bottom six.

Skjei - Troubda
Hajek - Tony D
Staal - Fox

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Panarin-Mika-Buchnevich
Kreider-Kakko-Kravtsov
Chytil-Strome-Namestnikov
Lemieux-Howden-Lias

Skjei-Trouba
Hajek-DeAngelo
Staal-Fox
I like the idea to a degree but i just dont see Kakko at Center.

Kreider-Mika-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kravy
Names-Strome-Kakko
Lemmy-Howden-Fast
Mckegg

Skjei-Trouba
Rykov-DeAngelo
Staal-Fox
Smith

I think Names is moved at the deadline or earlier if Lias pushes his way to a promotion.

I think Rykov could beat Hajek out. Hajek is coming back from the injury and although he may be healthy it might be best for him to ease way back in through Hartford especially with the new coaching staff.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I like the idea to a degree but i just dont see Kakko at Center.

Kreider-Mika-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kravy
Names-Strome-Kakko
Lemmy-Howden-Fast
Mckegg

Skjei-Trouba
Rykov-DeAngelo
Staal-Fox
Smith

I think Names is moved at the deadline or earlier if Lias pushes his way to a promotion.

I think Rykov could beat Hajek out. Hajek is coming back from the injury and although he may be healthy it might be best for him to ease way back in through Hartford especially with the new coaching staff.

I'm a believer of keeping offensive players with offensive players and Kravtsov should be given a look with guys that can help him develope.

I expect Kreider to be moved, along with Namestnikov at which the lines would look like:

Kakko-Mika-Buchnevich
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Lemieux-Howden-Strome
McKegg-Lias-Fast

Reactions: teddygmr

Kaapo Takko

Oct 13, 2015
Finland
Namestnikov traded.

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Buchnevich
Andersson-Strome-Kravtsov
Lemieux-Howden-Fast
McKegg

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-DeAngelo
Hajek-Fox
Smith

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
My line-up would be:

Kreider-Ziba-Kravy //Three guys who play the game the same way. Perfect environment for Kravy. Size, speed and skill in abundance,
Panarin-Chytil-Buch //Time to give Chytil and Buch the last push. Playing with Panarin would up their offensive game a notch.
Lemieux-Howden-Kakko //Kakko is a one man show with the puck. If we put him in a bigger role Ds will be prepared for him. The kid is still very young. KK might get less quantity chances on this line, but it would play a N-S fast paced game and when Kakko does get the puck it won’t be against defenses that are set-up and waiting for him. It will be after turnovers and whatnot and Kakko is so lethal in those situations.
Names-Strome-Fast //Not much to add. A good 4th.
Skjei-Trouba
Staal-TDA
Hajak/Smith-Fox
Hank
Geo

If Kravtsov can handle those minutes to start, I think this could end up being a pretty decently balanced lineup. I'd ideally want Kakko higher in the lineup, but it could be more beneficial to start him with more opportunistic deployment; I think having a LHS at C helps too so he can have someone feeding him the puck off their forehand.

If anything, this lineup gives them a good framework to move some pieces around on different lines while still allowing for the team to attack in different ways.

Reactions: eco's bones and Ola

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Kravtsov can handle those minutes to start, I think this could end up being a pretty decently balanced lineup. I'd ideally want Kakko higher in the lineup, but it could be more beneficial to start him with more opportunistic deployment; I think having a LHS at C helps too so he can have someone feeding him the puck off their forehand.

If anything, this lineup gives them a good framework to move some pieces around on different lines while still allowing for the team to attack in different ways.

I think Kakko is going to work his way up into our top two lines.

We're more than likely going to trade Kreider at the deadline or some time before. He needs to play with Zibanejad. He'll have better numbers with Mika than either Chytil or Strome and if we want to get the best deal for Kreider we should want him to have the best possible production. Panarin would do fine with Zibanejad but I think he'll do fine with Chytil or Strome too. He's use to being the best player on his line and he can make other players look better than they are. I'd like him with Kakko though. To me Kakko develops faster playing with a guy like Artemi and I don't see any reason (if healthy anyway) why he shouldn't hit at least 50 points coming out of the gate. Brady Tkachuk got 45 last year and Kakko's the better player and Tkachuk wasn't playing with the likes of Panarin.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
So many people have Andersson out of the lineup. will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Are we 'busting' him already?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
8475184.jpg
8476459.jpg
NYZ2m9U.jpg

8478550.jpg
8480078.jpg
8477402.jpg

8476480.jpg
8476458.jpg
G2bCUG2.jpg

8477962.jpg
8480072.jpg
8475855.jpg

8479353.jpg

8476869.jpg
8476885.jpg

8479333.jpg
8477950.jpg

XIcziN7.jpg
R8acGDX.jpg

8474090.jpg

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think Kakko is going to work his way up into our top two lines.

We're more than likely going to trade Kreider at the deadline or some time before. He needs to play with Zibanejad. He'll have better numbers with Mika than either Chytil or Strome and if we want to get the best deal for Kreider we should want him to have the best possible production. Panarin would do fine with Zibanejad but I think he'll do fine with Chytil or Strome too. He's use to being the best player on his line and he can make other players look better than they are. I'd like him with Kakko though. To me Kakko develops faster playing with a guy like Artemi and I don't see any reason (if healthy anyway) why he shouldn't hit at least 50 points coming out of the gate. Brady Tkachuk got 45 last year and Kakko's the better player and Tkachuk wasn't playing with the likes of Panarin.

I agree about Kakko working his way into the top-6, probably sooner than later, but I'd like to start him getting more opportunistic minutes. As for Kreider, you nailed it with why he needs to play with Mika.

For Panarin, him being the best player on his line is exactly why I'd want to see him play with Chytil. While Chytil had pretty strong individual metrics last season, he struggled to achieve on-ice results as a result of poor shooting luck. I think giving him a weapon like Panarin might help bring out that extra level of potential offense that we've seen him show glimpses of in the AHL. Plus, if that ends up being the case, it almost immediately helps fill our biggest hole at 2C and ends up slotting the rest of the lineup really, really nicely.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Obviously the lines will change throughout the season, but this is what I can see on opening night.

Forwards

1. Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
At least until Buch messes up or something.

2. Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Panarin will be the playmaker, and I can definitely see Chytil develop into a very good goal-scoring 2C with Panarin on his wing. I also think Kakko will be a bit better than Kravtsov right out of the gate.

3. Namestnikov-Strome-Kravtsov
Not ecstatic about placing Kravtsov with Strome or Vlad, but he can pass the puck to two guys who have pretty good shots. Kravtsov also has a good shot so I don’t know.

4. Howden/Nieves - Nieves/Howden - Lemieux
Howden’s defense can make up for Lemieux’s poor defense. Nieves is pretty much a jack of all trades, master of none, so I would like to keep him on the 4th line. I put Howden over Andersson here only because I think Andersson has a bit more upside, and would be better if he was in the AHL. Truthfully, I wouldn’t put either on the 4th line. If/when they’re ready to play in the top 9, then I would drop Namestnikov and/or Strome. If not, then they should be in the AHL. And I’m not sure if they’re ready just yet.

Defense

1. Skjei-Trouba
I think it starts that way, but I’m not sure if it lasts. Skjei-DeAngelo might be put back together. Skjei-Fox could be very interesting as well, as their skills seem to complement each other.

2. Staal-DeAngelo
Bad skater and good skater. Defensive d-man and offensive d-man.

3. Hajek-Fox
Good skater and slower (though agile) skater. Defensive d-man and offensive d-man. Two rookies on the same pairing worries me, but Hajek is poised and Fox is very smart. And the only other option I could see is putting Staal with Fox, but that pairing would lack speed.

Goalies

1. Lundqvist
2. Georgiev

Bench: Fast, McKegg, Smith
Maybe Lettieri can beat out McKegg.

Reactions: eco's bones

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kreider zibenajad buchnevich
Panarin chytil kravtsov
Strome namestnikov kakko
Lemieux howden\lias fasth
Howden\lias (in Hartford)
Skjei trouba
Staal DeAngelo
Hajek fox
Smith

Edit your post because inevitably someone will question Howden \ Lias as a 13th forward.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Kreider-Zibs-Kakko
Panarin-Howden-Kravstov
Chytil-Strome-Buch
Names/Lemmie-Lias/O'Regan-Fast

I see a guy like O'Regan get a sniff since he can fill a role. Guys that bring versatility and PK minutes are good for the 4th line. I could also see a line-up where a kid or two has to force his way into the lineup instead of just getting minutes.

I think that's good for creating a competitive culture. Having a kid replace a vet means you get a trade chip, and a young asset that can fill a contributing role. So if that mean Lias is down to start, or another one of the kids, and Lias is up the line-up or if Lemmie is a healthy scratch or playing higher in the line-up.

I look at the defense in similar fashion.

Skjei-Trouba
Rykov/Hajek-Fox
Staal-DeAgelo
Veteran

I see the 2nd and 3rd units alternate as the 2nd top 4 unit given how the play is that night. Again it's internal competition, and a matter of effective matchups. Coaches have options this year. There is more depth, and more front line assets, but that also comes at the price of severe inexperience. Which is perfectly fine and expected in the rebuild.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I have an idea of what i'd like to go with but Im really looking forward to seeing some preseason action this season. Its tough for me to ink in the pairings on D without seeing how it shakes out with the kids. Especially Fox, Hajek and Rykov.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
On the Andersson topic, unless someone moves to wing I just see one slot between he and Howden to fight over.

I think NYR would prefer having Andersson playing 20 in the AHL over 8 in the NHL. He's still super young.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Trade Namestnikov and Smith and/or Staal (God I wish)

Panarin Zibanajad Kakko
Kreider Lias Kravtsov
Chytil Strome Buchnevich
Lemieux Howden Fast
Boo

Skjei - Trouba
Staal/Smith - DeAngelo
Hajek - Fox
Lindgren

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Raspewtin