Your opening day lineups

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Here is what I believe it will be, but imo I would leave Chytil at wing and let Strome Howden and Anderson finish off the center position and continue to try and move Namestnicov. Everyone believes Kakko will be top 6 right away but I dont think they will do that, as good as he looks I still at this point put him behind Kravtsov in terms of being ready for the nhl.

Panarin Zibanajad Buchnevich
Kreider Chytil Kravtsov
Namestnicov Strome Kakko
Lemieux Howden Fast

Skjei Trouba
Hajek DeAngelo
Staal Fox

What do you guys say it will be? Keep in mind this is to START the year...not what they will look like later on

Reactions: kovazub94

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Here is what I believe it will be, but imo I would leave Chytil at wing and let Strome Howden and Anderson finish off the center position and continue to try and move Namestnicov. Everyone believes Kakko will be top 6 right away but I dont think they will do that, as good as he looks I still at this point put him behind Kravtsov in terms of being ready for the nhl.

Panarin Zibanajad Buchnevich
Kreider Chytil Kravtsov
Namestnicov Strome Kakko
Lemieux Howden Fast

Skjei Trouba
Hajek DeAngelo
Staal Fox

What do you guys say it will be? Keep in mind this is to START the year...not what they will look like later on
Kinda like the lineup you have listed. Has pretty good balance...I'm sure depending on how Buch and Kakko do with their respective lines flipping them at some point. I'm still on the fence about starting Chytil at wing or center. I probably lean towards center. It would be so big for the team going forward if Chytil can show promise playing the center position with utmost competence.

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Slight tweak and not that I agree with it but I think the opening night roster looks like...

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Buchnevich
Namestnikov-Strome-Kravstov
Lemieux-Howden-Fast

Skjei Trouba
Staal Fox
Hajek DeAngelo

Reactions: Nate070

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kreider Zibanejad Kravtsov
Panarin Chytil Kakko
Lemieux Strome Buchnevich
Namestnikov Howden Fast

Trouba Rykov
DeAngelo Skjei
Fox Staal

sp--Andersson Hajek

Reactions: teddygmr

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
@KreiderBomb We don’t know how it will turn out but I like a few concepts in your lineup, for instance:
1. Only one of Special Ks in top-6
2. Hajek wins 2LD from Staal
3. Lemieux on the 4th line
4. Chytil at 2C

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Anyway my reason for playing Kreider with Zibanejad is 1) to spread the offense around and because 2) Panarin can create his own offense and Kreider needs to play with a good center because otherwise he's not going to produce much. Playing him with Chytil or Strome IMO will undercut his effectiveness and FWIW if we're trading him at the deadline better that he has good numbers than bad.

Reactions: bernmeister

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Anyway my reason for playing Kreider with Zibanejad is 1) to spread the offense around and because 2) Panarin can create his own offense and Kreider needs to play with a good center because otherwise he's not going to produce much. Playing him with Chytil or Strome IMO will undercut his effectiveness and FWIW if we're trading him at the deadline better that he has good numbers than bad.

Same but my only hesitation is if other teams choose to put their top center against Chytil. Maybe it would workout for the best forcing Quinn to counteract with Trouba (then ADA with Zibanejad against 2nd line).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Same but my only hesitation is if other teams choose to put their top center against Chytil. Maybe it would workout for the best forcing Quinn to counteract with Trouba (then ADA with Zibanejad against 2nd line).

Keeping in mind also that lines are always going to be tweaked from game to game. But anyway I like the idea of Kakko and Panarin together as well as Zibanejad and Kreider. That should give us at least two solid scoring lines and IMO that's better than 1 super line that the other teams play their top defensemen and best checkers against. Splitting up Panarin and Zibanejad forces opposition coaches to make a choice who they want to defend hardest against. Zbad proved last year he could get into 70's production with Kreider riding shotgun. Panarin's going to get 70+ --maybe 80 on his line and Kakko I expect he's going to come out of the gate running and Panarin should help that. Then the other pieces to move around on the top two lines would come from the likes of Buchnevich, Kravtsov, Chytil, Strome (whoever does the best)--if someone is struggling you push them down to the third.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Panarin - Zibanejad - Kakko
Kreider - Chytil - Buchnevich
Namestnikov - Andersson - Kravtsov
Lemieux - Howden - Strome

Skjei - Trouba
Staal - DeAngelo
Hajek - Fox

Lundqvist
Georgiev

That's pretty much my choices too, though I'd probably put Strome on the 3rd & Vlad on the 4th lines. Obviously I'd rather Staal not there, but not like we'll have much a choice there.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Panarin - Zibanejad - Kakko
Kreider - Chytil - Buchnevich
Namestnikov - Andersson - Kravtsov
Lemieux - Howden - Strome

Skjei - Trouba
Staal - DeAngelo
Hajek - Fox

Lundqvist
Georgiev
I like this, but there's no universe in which a coach doesn't play Fast if he's on the roster. We have 13 forwards who should really play, leaving aside guys like McKegg and Nieves. Injuries may take care of this problem, but otherwise, seems to me some–one is starting the year in the minors.

It is so obvious that (a) trade(s) will be made at least by the TDL, if not as soon as teams bank enough space to loosen their cap constraints...

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I like this, but there's no universe in which a coach doesn't play Fast if he's on the roster. We have 13 forwards who should really play, leaving aside guys like McKegg and Nieves. Injuries may take care of this problem, but otherwise, seems to me some–one is starting the year in the minors.

It is so obvious that (a) trade(s) will be made at least by the TDL, if not as soon as teams bank enough space to loosen their cap constraints...

I agree with this and it makes me wonder if you don’t try running Namestnikov in the top six early on to see if he can catch some lightning in a bottle with some talent to boost his trade value a bit so we can open a spot for Howden/Andersson. I want all of the NHL age kids playing and getting experience this year so having them blocked by guys who are not in the plan beyond this year (not really even “in” the plan this year) doesn’t sit well, but the only way you’re opening the space is by moving him as early as possible. I’d say just sit him in favor of a kid but that tanks his value and then you end up not moving him at all, where as you could boost his value and get something worthwhile by January when pro-rated cap makes him an affordable rental.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I agree with this and it makes me wonder if you don’t try running Namestnikov in the top six early on to see if he can catch some lightning in a bottle with some talent to boost his trade value a bit so we can open a spot for Howden/Andersson. I want all of the NHL age kids playing and getting experience this year so having them blocked by guys who are not in the plan beyond this year (not really even “in” the plan this year) doesn’t sit well, but the only way you’re opening the space is by moving him as early as possible. I’d say just sit him in favor of a kid but that tanks his value and then you end up not moving him at all, where as you could boost his value and get something worthwhile by January when pro-rated cap makes him an affordable rental.
Something good to remember is that with the Spooner buyout, the Rangers now have all 3 of their salary retention "slots" available again. Hopefully they can use them to move players sooner rather than later (and for bigger values).

Reactions: bernmeister

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Something good to remember is that with the Spooner buyout, the Rangers now have all 3 of their salary retention "slots" available again. Hopefully they can use them to move players sooner rather than later (and for bigger values).

I was thinking along the same lines. If Namestnikov could get jump started to a hot start playing with some talent retaining half doesn’t hurt us since he’s expiring and I have to imagine if he shows some production, a team who has an early injury or feels they’re missing a complimentary piece might take a chance on him. His 2M (@50) cap hit gets lower every day of the season for a team interested in him and at 1.75 if he’s been pacing for 40 points I have to imagine he’s very movable.

NASTY

Jul 29, 2016
Panarin Zibanejad Kakko
Kreider Chytil Buchnevich
Namestnikov Strome Kravstov
Lemieux Howden Fast

Skjei Trouba
Staal Fox
Hajek DeAngelo

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Could throw in Andersson as well he'd obviously have to beat out someone for a spot, doubt he beats out Kravtsov but maybe Lemieux, Howden, or Namestnikov.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Panarin Zibanejad Kakko
Kreider Chytil Buchnevich
Namestnikov Strome Kravstov
Lemieux Howden Fast

Skjei Trouba
Staal Fox
Hajek DeAngelo

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Could throw in Andersson as well he'd obviously have to beat out someone for a spot, doubt he beats out Kravtsov but maybe Lemieux, Howden, or Namestnikov.

This is my exact lineup so I'll quote it rather than posting the exact same thing. Only possible exception is a rotation among the 3 right wingers.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
My line-up would be:

Kreider-Ziba-Kravy //Three guys who play the game the same way. Perfect environment for Kravy. Size, speed and skill in abundance,
Panarin-Chytil-Buch //Time to give Chytil and Buch the last push. Playing with Panarin would up their offensive game a notch.
Lemieux-Howden-Kakko //Kakko is a one man show with the puck. If we put him in a bigger role Ds will be prepared for him. The kid is still very young. KK might get less quantity chances on this line, but it would play a N-S fast paced game and when Kakko does get the puck it won’t be against defenses that are set-up and waiting for him. It will be after turnovers and whatnot and Kakko is so lethal in those situations.
Names-Strome-Fast //Not much to add. A good 4th.
Skjei-Trouba
Staal-TDA
Hajak/Smith-Fox
Hank
Geo

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Kreider Zibanejead Buchnevich
Panarin Chytil Kravstov
Lemieux Strome Kakko