Your New Jersey Devils - fastest team in the league?

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh is still faster. They're just kind of tired from playing a lot of hockey...

Kessel, Hagelin, Sheary, Rust, Letang, Simon; just to name some. All these guys are fast. Just imagine if Pittsburgh had traded for Grabner....

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You keep saying this but even in the other thread you couldnt find a video of McDavid skating faster than Wood blue to blue

Unless it was another poster, could have been. Either way I dont just claim Wood is the fastest blue to blue skater but instesd am making it known because it was backed up by video evidence. McDavid doesnt have a recorded youtube clip that has been compared and deemed faster yet

Yeah I don’t know what you’re talking about “other thread” wasn’t me lol

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Yeah I don’t know what you’re talking about “other thread” wasn’t me lol
fair enough , either way the OP in the Wood thread had a video with the fastest found youtube clip of a blue to blue skate and no McDavid video chosen beat it.

Now maybe one just wasn't found out of the hundreds of possibilities but out of what was shown it seems Wood is the fastest

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Wood is scary fast in that he becomes like a runaway locomotive. I legitimately believe one day he will smash through the boards and glass.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Pittsburgh is still faster. They're just kind of tired from playing a lot of hockey...

Kessel, Hagelin, Sheary, Rust, Letang, Simon; just to name some. All these guys are fast. Just imagine if Pittsburgh had traded for Grabner....

It looked like jersey was decidedly faster last game.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Forwards are fast but what about the dmen?

Butcher, Moore, and Severson are very fast skaters. Moore is legitimately a great skater.

Greene is an average skater. Lovejoy has a piano on his back. Mueller and Vatanen are good skaters

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Forwards are fast but what about the dmen?

Moore can fly. Vatanen is a good skater. Probably above average. Mueller is above average as well. Severson is average, Greene is average. Lovejoy and Butcher are on the slow side. Overall probably an average group speed wise.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017

Pittsburgh lost decent amount of speed from last two years team, guys like Daley and Cullen who was pretty good skater for his age...

Reactions: BHD

Auston mcdavid

Mar 10, 2018
I’d say Colorado would be in the top 3 of fastest team in the league Compher MacKinnon Jost are all blazing fast and Samuel girard and Kerfoot have a ton of speed as well and they got Makar who could be up next year which just adds to their speed there going to be a very scary team along with New Jersey

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
To think the Oilers had Hall and McDavid .... who cares about blueline to blueline, Wood is insanely fast too, but it takes him longer to attain that speed as compared to 97. By the time Wood picks up speed McDavid would already be a few meters ahead due his insane acceleration. It's not the top speed that separates Connor from every other insanely fast guy, it's his ability to reach that top speed in a blink of an eye. No one accelerates out of the block like 97. Top speed means jack s*** compared to quickness and acceleration. The rink is only 200 ft. Give me a team of Gaudreaus and McDavids over Woods and Larkins in a 5 on 5 scrimmage , Wood and Larkin would be skated out of the rink. Taking big wide turns to gain speed and start and stop speeds are 2 totally different animals

Last edited:
Reactions: BomaLightDevils

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
To think the Oilers had Hall and McDavid .... who cares about blueline to blueline, Wood is insanely fast too, but it takes him longer to attain that speed as compared to 97. By the time Wood picks up speed McDavid would already be a few meters ahead due his insane acceleration. It's not the top speed that separates Connor from every other insanely fast guy, it's his ability to reach that top speed in a blink of an eye. No one accelerates out of the block like 97. Top speed means jack s*** compared to quickness and acceleration. The rink is only 200 ft. Give me a team of Gaudreaus and McDavids over Woods and Larkins in a 5 on 5 scrimmage , Wood and Larkin would be skated out of the rink. Taking big wide turns to gain speed and start and stop speeds are 2 totally different animals

The first sentence of this really throws one off to not expect the tangent that follows.

No one is arguing Wood is a better skater than McDavid. Hell, Zajac may be a "better" skater than Wood. But Wood's top end speed is one of the best in the league. That's it.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think they are. Pittsburgh had trouble keeping up with them, and the pens themselves are a top 5 team in speed, and was far and away the fastest 2 years ago. The league has gotten crazy fast.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
League has gotten crazy quick as opposed to just fast. Teams that are quick moving the puck, stop and go are the real contenders moving forward.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Who cares if they are fast, they are not that good anyways...I recall a few years ago about how great "Sabre-Speed" was....lol, they never did anything.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Pretty difficult to judge or quantify really, but they're certainly one of the fastest, and that's not up for debate. It's great to see how they've re-worked their team from slow, trap, defensive team to a high-flying speedy skilled team.

lets party like its 1999!!!!!

that cup run in 2012 was such a trap team...........

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
fair enough , either way the OP in the Wood thread had a video with the fastest found youtube clip of a blue to blue skate and no McDavid video chosen beat it.

Now maybe one just wasn't found out of the hundreds of possibilities but out of what was shown it seems Wood is the fastest

McDavid is faster.
Also, how fast is wood with the puck?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Would love to see a straight line race between Wood and McDavid..would be awesome

I think there's a few right there speed wise with McDavid in just skating, but there's no one on this earth as fast as him and has his edge work with the puck. That's where he really makes people look silly.

Reactions: THall4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad