Your New Jersey Devils - fastest team in the league?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Devils are the best young team in the east to watch. Very entertaining. Said it before, but going to say it again.

Shero has done an unbelievable rebuild of the roster in such a short time, since taking over the mess Lamoriello left the Devils in.

The Devils were incredibly boring, stale and declining until Shero came in. Hired Castron and away we go.

What a difference 2 short years have made to this franchise, I now see them as a bright light with the exciting young talent they have, and style they play.

This is a very good team that can pull off an upset in the playoffs.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Pretty difficult to judge or quantify really, but they're certainly one of the fastest, and that's not up for debate. It's great to see how they've re-worked their team from slow, trap, defensive team to a high-flying speedy skilled team.
When will you people realize the Devils have not played a trapping system in eons? They were just a BAD team for a long time with no talent. Bad does not equal trap. :facepalm:

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
They haven't been a trap defensive team in years... but from the moment they lost Kovalchuk through the Hall trade those Devils teams were about as slow and unskilled as you could get.

It's been a quick turnaround though that's for sure. Gives me hope for the Rangers if we get some luck in this draft lotto

We also have to get lucky and find an idiot GM to give us our Hall. Maybe thru FA Tavares ;)

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
When will you people realize the Devils have not played a trapping system in eons? They were just a BAD team for a long time with no talent. Bad does not equal trap. :facepalm:

We will just never be able to escape this misconception

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Devils are probably the fastest in the league. If they're not it's super close and they're definitely top 3.

If they get Johansson and Gibbons back their speed will be even better. And watch out for Michael McLeod next year he's an absolute burner

Zajac sometimes looks slow compared to some other guys we have but he's actually of average speed. He's better than say Boyle or Lovejoy

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
They haven't been a trap defensive team in years... but from the moment they lost Kovalchuk through the Hall trade those Devils teams were about as slow and unskilled as you could get.

It's been a quick turnaround though that's for sure. Gives me hope for the Rangers if we get some luck in this draft lotto

They were slow, skilled, boring and helpless and all Lou could do was put bandaids on because his drafting was atrocious. And they were horrible bandaids (Ryder, Clowe etc)

The Rangers team during that era of miserable Devils hockey positively flew up and down the ice and had great skill but some issues finishing. But Lou's poor drafting years and the Rangers very solid drafting years made it look like one team understood what modern hockey was and Lou was still stuck in 1998

Reactions: JT Kreider

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Devils are the best young team in the east to watch. Very entertaining. Said it before, but going to say it again.

Shero has done an unbelievable rebuild of the roster in such a short time, since taking over the mess Lamoriello left the Devils in.

The Devils were incredibly boring, stale and declining until Shero came in. Hired Castron and away we go.

What a difference 2 short years have made to this franchise, I now see them as a bright light with the exciting young talent they have, and style they play.

They are definately up there with the leafs, and flyers. Right now they are the third best team between these three teams. But like the other two teams once your in the playoffs anything can happen. Devils will be a tough out come playoffs. The are only weak on the backend but shero is a good gm and should try and fix that come offseason. Great offensive roster and a great goalie. Fun team to watch

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They are definately up there with the leafs, and flyers. Right now they are the third best team between these three teams. But like the other two teams once your in the playoffs anything can happen. Devils will be a tough out come playoffs. The are only weak on the backend but shero is a good gm and should try and fix that come offseason. Great offensive roster and a great goalie. Fun team to watch

Devils play faster and more exciting than either of those teams. They are the fastest team in the East bar none IMO.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Wood has better top end speed, the guy is insane. But Grabner is much more agile and a much better overall skater.
How sure are you? I'm just curious, because AFAIK Grabner has the fastest blueline to blueline ever recorded as per frame calculations. Of course he's 30, so he might've lost a step already.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
How sure are you? I'm just curious, because AFAIK Grabner has the fastest blueline to blueline ever recorded as per frame calculations. Of course he's 30, so he might've lost a step already.

I believe Wood is faster, but that is not based on any calculations.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Devils play faster and more exciting than either of those teams. They are the fastest team in the East bar none IMO.
I was responding more in line tto the first part of your comment whrte tou said the devils are the best young team. Right now they are behind the leafs and flyers in terms of standings. As for entertainment factor different people find different things entertaining. The devils are faster than both teams most likely but the flyers, leafs and other teams like bruins are also very exicitng to watch with a heavier cycling game and better puck movement in there game styles. Very few boring teams tk watch in the east tbh.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was responding more in line tto the first part of your comment whrte tou said the devils are the best young team. Right now they are behind the leafs and flyers in terms of standings. As for entertainment factor different people find different things entertaining. The devils are faster than both teams most likely but the flyers, leafs and other teams like bruins are also very exicitng to watch with a heavier cycling game and better puck movement in there game styles. Very few boring teams tk watch in the east tbh.

There are 2 teams I would like to watch in a playoff round out of curiosity. TB and NJ. They play a similar game. They play the fastest puck pressure, movement, speed game in the NHL this year. There is no time and space when you play them. And both D cores move the puck. To me this is the most exciting hockey. Hitting is fine, though a lost art. Even the Bruins are getting away from this with the exception of Chara. For me NJ and TB are the teams that play the most exciting and fast hockey in the east.

Reactions: hamzarocks

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’m fairly sure there was a thread that compared all the top skaters including McDavid, Grabner, and Wood using the frame calculations and Wood ended up the fastest.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Whether they're the fastest team or not, fact is they've done a great job changing the identity and creating a team of young, fast and skilled players. They are definitely in the Top 5 of most fastest teams (speed of players + puck movement). Hats off to Ray Shero and their management on identifying what drives success in the NHL. Used to hate watching Jersey play, but now they're easily one of the most exciting teams to watch. And that Taylor Hall...oh boy what a player!

:clap:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
but from the moment lou's geriatric ass left, they've transitioned to a team that's fast as hell.

cleaned that up for you

even if they only have a decent draft this year, they'll be in good shape in 3-4 years. they're loaded with picks

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
There is a thread on HF about Wood, search his name in te NHL mainboard,- video evidence of Miles Wood having the fastest blue to blue via frames

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Wood in a straight line, Grabner has him on edge work and overall skating

Wood is likely the fastest straight liner in the NHL

Likely McDavid but Wood can fly, would love to see a head to head race.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I am kind of hoping we get paired up against Pittsburgh in round 1. We have had them on their heals twice this year already. Seems like Ray built this team to beat Pittsburgh.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Likely McDavid but Wood can fly, would love to see a head to head race.
You keep saying this but even in the other thread you couldnt find a video of McDavid skating faster than Wood blue to blue

Unless it was another poster, could have been. Either way I dont just claim Wood is the fastest blue to blue skater but instesd am making it known because it was backed up by video evidence. McDavid doesnt have a recorded youtube clip that has been compared and deemed faster yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad