GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (37-15-5) vs. Los Angeles Kings (32-19-7), 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This Devils team is GUTSY.

A lot of folks in this GDT were calling game after it being 2-0. This team deserves the benefit of the doubt every single night.
I felt a little better about this game than the Montreal one after we got down a bunch.

I wasn’t too confident after giving up the go-ahead goal with 4 minutes left, but I didn’t see it coming either. Figured regulation would end 2-2.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
What about St. Louis? Also, Carolina can offer a 1st, Morrow and Drury and be competitive with the Devils package.
Carolina 1st + Morrow + Drury is easily blown away by New Jersey 1st + Casey + Holtz. This isn't even close.

St. Louis 2 first round picks is easily usurped by New Jersey 1st + Casey + Holtz, this is even less close.

If Carolina adds Jarvis or Nikishin, then they're a problem. St. Louis only has one prospect who would crack the Devils top 7, and that's Jimmy Snuggerud, who I cannot see the Blues including under any circumstance.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba

Love the message from Lindy in the first tweet.

Yeah. That’s good to hear. Hope they can sort out those issues. I find our in zone coverage is generally good when the opposition is cycling. It’s when we turn the puck over or lose an assignment in transition where our defensive warts show.

And Lindy is right about the Kings. They were structured tonight and played us tough. Did a great job on Hughes and Bratt most of the game.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Carolina 1st + Morrow + Drury is easily blown away by New Jersey 1st + Casey + Holtz. This isn't even close.

St. Louis 2 first round picks is easily usurped by New Jersey 1st + Casey + Holtz, this is even less close.

If Carolina adds Jarvis or Nikishin, then they're a problem. St. Louis only has one prospect who would crack the Devils top 7, and that's Jimmy Snuggerud, who I cannot see the Blues including under any circumstance.

Love your work STI but it all comes down to what Grier values, he could see Holtz's skating as a massive red flag to take a gamble on a go with the "safer" player. Not saying it's the right mentality but I don't think he wants to necessarily lose this trade with a boom/bust prospect in Holtz. Holtz would flourish with more ice time wherever he is imo but for a GM who hasn't won a trade yet it's a difficult pill to swallow for your 26 year old 50 goal pace scoring winger.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
332955197_717101306628704_2913173657706665658_n.jpg

333022293_1852144771809898_8384342933162458726_n.jpg

A lot of good media came from tonight's game. :laugh:

TF1970

May 9, 2021
A Tatar extension hasn’t been discussed a bunch but I’m not opposed depending on the number. He’s been solid and we’re going to need a little depth to fill out the roster. Would love a 2x3M deal.
Same for Haula in my eyes. Maybe the $$$$ a little lower but I’ll take him as 3C all day for the next 1-2 seasons after this. People rag on him but he does a lot of unheralded things out there.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Post Mortem: Smith sitting was a good call. Wood not sitting was not.

Brendan Smith must've been rubbing his hands like a cartoon villain after the first

Same for Haula in my eyes. Maybe the $$$$ a little lower but I’ll take him as 3C all day for the next 1-2 seasons after this. People rag on him but he does a lot of unheralded things out there.

It depends what Haula wants, I wouldn't be opposed at all. His finishing won't be this bad again next year and he'll at least provide value on the faceoffs/PK.

Reactions: Richer's Ghost

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I'm not worried about the team 6 points behind us, I'm more driven to catch the team 3 points ahead of us, but that's just me.
I agree. I don’t think home ice against the Rangers is even important (heck, we may be better off on the road). However, finishing 1st and playing one of these suspect WC teams….that’s where the advantage is!

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Then Meier will be on a team like the Blues. The Sharks will take two first round picks over the Devils late 1st and guys like Holtz/Mukhamadullin.
Ok....Then no Meier there is a point where you walk away....Muk is a top prospect as is Holtz....Mercer Hughes and Nemec should be automatic no deals....Don't forget San Jose had Edmonton walk away for now from Erik K they are loaded with bad deals and a limited prospect pool they need to deal Meier and they know it...They need .to rebuild I don't see him resigning LT with them....

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I'd still say the Devils are the front runner for Meier, because quite frankly no other team in the running has a better young talent base to trade from. The Devils can give a 1st and multiple players who would immediately become the Sharks best wing prospect (Holtz, Gritsyuk) or best defense prospect (Mukhamadullin, Casey) or in the running for top 2 defense prospect (Bahl, Okhotyuk).
We could mix and match so many ways, if this was seven years ago and Mercer was our only top young player, we'd have no choice to trade him IF we wanted Meier that badly, but now we dangle at them Holtz, Muk, Vilen, Casey, and Gritsyuk and I didn't even mention Zetterlund or Yegr.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Love your work STI but it all comes down to what Grier values, he could see Holtz's skating as a massive red flag to take a gamble on a go with the "safer" player. Not saying it's the right mentality but I don't think he wants to necessarily lose this trade with a boom/bust prospect in Holtz. Holtz would flourish with more ice time wherever he is imo but for a GM who hasn't won a trade yet it's a difficult pill to swallow for your 26 year old 50 goal pace scoring winger.
Your own feelings on Holtz aside, he's a PPG player in the AHL as a 21 year old (and 20 last year) who would immediately become -- easily -- San Jose's top wing prospect.

As far as Grier's feelings on speed? Well, he's yet to make any trades so it's tough to see how he feels there. I can say he passed on an elite skating center in Owen Beck to take a player at the same position who is bigger, but not a great skater in Filip Bystedt. I felt San Jose had a godawful draft last year, but their premium seemed to be on size -- 7 of their 9 picks were 6'2 or over, and 3 of the 9 were 6'4 or over.

Every one of Grier's off season acquisitions was at least 6'0 tall.

So while it's too early to have a strong MO on Mr. Grier, the early inclinations seem to favor size over speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad