GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (21-4-1) vs. New York Islanders (16-11-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Jack Hughes may look like a kid, but he talks like a sailor. I was laughing my ass off reading his lips. Get that man a tip jar.

Reactions: HBK27

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At what point is the grace period over for Haula and we can start referring to him as "stone hands"?
We're already there.

He's been a good player, but it looks like his days of scoring a significant number of goals are over.

He's probably somewhat unlucky to only have one goal in 27 games, but if he finishes the year significantly below his career norms in goals then it's safe to say he's more than likely seeing a diminishing skill in goal scoring. It happens and he's not at all young anymore. It's very common at this age, unless you're Adam Henrique and keep on shooting 15% into your 30's.

I'm sure he'll score a little more next year and he'll probably finish with more than the 3 goals he's on pace to score this year, but I think he might very well have seen his last 15 goal season.

Reactions: HBK27

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I'd call his post hits unlucky, but I wouldn't call much else unlucky.

I think his days of 15 goals are probably over. Maybe he goes on a market correction bender through the rest of the year and winds up scoring closer to 15 than we'd ever imagine after game 27, but it's not unlike a player of his age to fall off in shooting percentage.

This is what happened to Mike Cammalleri (at an older age), Michael Ryder. Ryane Clowe had that lockout season where he scored ZERO goals in 28 games with the Sharks. He wound up finishing that season with 3 goals in 40 games after scoring 3 goals in 12 games as a Ranger, but his shooting percentage goes down dramatically after 12.

These things start out as ''Unlucky'', but before you know it you're sitting there with 1 goal in 27 games or 2 goals in 40 games and you don't really recover for the remainder of your career, even if you come out of it and a bit and score a few more the next year.
While I get what you're saying, Ryder and Cammalleri were absolutely cooked when they finished with us. Haula still has tempo and affects play positively in both ends from what I can tell.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We're already there.

He's been a good player, but it looks like his days of scoring a significant number of goals are over.

He's probably somewhat unlucky to only have one goal in 27 games, but if he finishes the year significantly below his career norms in goals then it's safe to say he's more than likely seeing a diminishing skill in goal scoring. It happens and he's not at all young anymore. It's very common at this age, unless you're Adam Henrique and keep on shooting 15% into your 30's.

I'm sure he'll score a little more next year and he'll probably finish with more than the 3 goals he's on pace to score this year, but I think he might very well have seen his last 15 goal season.
Over 200 minutes with Jack Hughes and 1 goal is impressively bad. I think Vladimir Zharkov could match that.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
While I get what you're saying, Ryder and Cammalleri were absolutely cooked when they finished with us. Haula still has tempo and affects play positively in both ends from what I can tell.
I don't disagree. He's also a few years younger than those guys were when they last played here, but there is a correlation with older players and a declining shooting percentage and those were two examples that come to mind.

Joe Thornton is another one. He never had another 20 goal season after 31. He came CLOSE a couple times and just barely didn't score 20. His shooting percentage dropped a bit after age 31, but it also fluctuated and came back up a bit as well in a couple of those later years and that's when he almost scored 20 again.

He actually shot close to 20% last year, but he only played 34 games.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Fishstick Fans

AAB694BE-2A59-4648-84B0-77B342AEA378.gif

Camille the Eel

Only complaint from the last 5 minutes would be to shoot more. Especially point shots.
That’s a fair complaint for the entire game. When things aren’t going well and you have a look, shoot the puck. A lot of times tonight players passed up good shot opportunities to try to make a fine set up. One occasion towards the end of the second with Zetterlund comes very much to mind and could serve as an example. He has a great look but tried to feed a team mate.

While I don’t draw conclusions from one game - we’ve been great and this is the first really decisive loss since like game 5 or 6 of the season lol - earlier in the season we had more of a shoot first mentality and I’d like to see us get back to it. Simplify things again going into some of these tough tough games.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Not worried about miles.. will come back with an equal but opposite reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad