GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (21-4-1) vs. New York Islanders (16-11-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
First multi goal loss since about early November

They were due for a clunker

It happens, Boston lost to Arizona as well
Boston dominated Arizona, the Devils got dominated by the Islanders. Not remotely comparable other than the fact that they both lost.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Not really seeing it yet with Holtz. He's not a slow skater at all but he's slow as hell processing the game. He just doesn't get to the right spots on the ice or anticipate the play well.

Being on that line where the other guys are pretty much north/south with speed isn't helping though. He'd probably do better with someone like Jack who's who curls up and delays and draws guys to him and Holtz could find those soft areas to unleash his shot. I doubt they play him there unless he becomes really good at face offs lol.
Not overly worried about Holtz yet, he has less than 20 NHL games under his belt and is only 20. I’m willing to be patient here especially after his first pro NA season with Utica.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Not really seeing it yet with Holtz. He's not a slow skater at all but he's slow as hell processing the game. He just doesn't get to the right spots on the ice or anticipate the play well.

Being on that line where the other guys are pretty much north/south with speed isn't helping though. He'd probably do better with someone like Jack who's who curls up and delays and draws guys to him and Holtz could find those soft areas to unleash his shot. I doubt they play him there unless he becomes really good at face offs lol.
He has major red flags. This was my issue when they drafted him over guys like Rossi and Perfetti in his draft year (although Rossi hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in his Minnesota stints to be fair). He's essentially a one trick pony that relies on his heavy shot/release to make an impact on the game.

At the time we drafted Holtz I compared him to Mike Hoffman as a criticism. At this point we would be lucky if he developed into Mike Hoffman.

Reactions: Bleedred and JK3

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Arizona is among the worst teams in the league and the Islanders are in a playoff spot.
The Islanders are only in a playoff spot because of Sorokin, who didn't even play last night. Their 5v5 play aside from goaltending is worse than Montreal and they would be in the Bedard conversation without Sorokin in net. There's zero excuse not to at least control play against that team. To straight up get outplayed and to lose to them without their ace is really bad.

The Rangers controlled play at MSG, Philly controlled play in Philly, and Washington controlled play even though we routed them. Hopefully it's just a momentary swoon, but you can't sugar coat these performances. It's been bad.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Not overly worried about Holtz yet, he has less than 20 NHL games under his belt and is only 20. I’m willing to be patient here especially after his first pro NA season with Utica.
He's doing some of the little things imo which is good like willingness to block shots....Shows a little bite when he gets hit pushes back....As far as being slow to process that part of his game will speed as he gains confidence and isn't overthinking the game....

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
The Islanders are only in a playoff spot because of Sorokin, who didn't even play last night. Their 5v5 play aside from goaltending is worse than Montreal and they would be in the Bedard conversation without Sorokin in net. There's zero excuse not to at least control play against that team. To straight up get outplayed and to lose to them without their ace is really bad.

The Rangers controlled play at MSG, Philly controlled play in the Devils win, and Washington controlled play even though we routed them. Hopefully it's just a momentary swoon, but you can't sugar coat these performances. It's been bad.
I still love the direction of this team and where I think their headed but, I can see a turbulent month of December coming. Of course they'll emerge with their heads above water. Jus saying .800 hockey isn't gonna hold up all year. Rags my be ready to put together a streak of their own. Shitstreakin looking like last years Shitstreakin again ugh.

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

The Rangers controlled play at MSG, Philly controlled play in Philly, and Washington controlled play even though we routed them. Hopefully it's just a momentary swoon, but you can't sugar coat these performances. It's been bad.
Definitely cannot sugar coat anything but last year those would have all been losses so they found ways to win...When they play their game they are tough to beat....Right now missing some toughness without Nate , Palat and possibly Wood so it will be tough week next week for sure...

Reactions: My3Sons

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I still love the direction of this team and where I think their headed but, I can see a turbulent month of December coming. Of course they'll emerge with their heads above water. Jus saying .800 hockey isn't gonna hold up all year. Rags my be ready to put together a streak of their own. Shitstreakin looking like last years Shitstreakin again ugh.
Completely agree that a downturn in play was predictable, but to be outplayed over an extended stretch by struggling 5v5 teams like the Flyers, Islanders and Capitals is concerning.

Shesterkin turning things around was predictable, I think they'll probably grab the last wild card spot ahead of the Islanders and Capitals.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

While I agree to an extent the team hasn’t been as good since the end of the streak, I don’t just put that on the team. Other teams are clearly going to take us more seriously now and not let us dominate for eighty-two games setting a season wins record, just look at the difference between the Isles the fourth game of the season and last night.

And I still don’t get the rationale of the Isles being a lottery team without Sorokin, sure he’s great but Varlamov has been fine and won seven games out of ten this season, this isn’t like a Marty-JF Damphousse gulf in goal.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Teams
While I agree to an extent the team hasn’t been as good since the end of the streak, I don’t just put that on the team. Other teams are clearly going to take us more seriously now and not let us dominate for eighty-two games setting a season wins record, just look at the difference between the Isles the fourth game of the season and last night.

And I still don’t get the rationale of the Isles being a lottery team without Sorokin, sure he’s great but Varlamov has been fine and won seven games this season, this isn’t like a Marty-JF Damphousse gulf in goal.
Teams our doing their homework and are better prepared to face us. It's a long season of making adjustments. We have enough talent to overcome that. Unlike the bad teams that got off to good starts. Like Arizona,Philly etc.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I did say yet as well but I just can't find anything about his game (other than his shot obviously) that I'm all that excited about. If he's not scoring he's pretty much useless, not great in the defensive zone, he never carries the puck and when he does it's a hot potato off his stick, he's also very clunky on the rush. He's had some OK board work in the corners but he needs to find a way to contribute other than blocking a shot or two.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

BarzyWally33

Nov 28, 2022
Can I ask devils fans, what led to this devils team? Was it always in the cards to build a juggernaut or did Lindy Ruff suddenly change something? It really comes across as a perfectly built team. Was this all ray sheros doing?

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Can I ask devils fans, what led to this devils team? Was it always in the cards to build a juggernaut or did Lindy Ruff suddenly change something? It really comes across as a perfectly built team. Was this all ray sheros doing?
A combination of things honestly:

- Fitzgerald has a vision and he did an exceptional job with upgrading the defense quickly.

- Brunette has most likely helped with our tempo and offense.

- Natural progression of our young players.

- Above average goaltending.

To me these are some of the main reasons for this year’s success. We saw a progression coming last year, but league worst goaltending REALLY cost us.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
The change in assistants was huge, along w goaltending. We did well at a goalscoring rate, but the systems allow us to transition faster in the neutral zone. Having reliable goaltending has helped immensely as well

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

This is just the way a long NHL season goes. I absolutely can sugarcoat these performances because they’ve been winning the vast majority lol. C’mon.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

You gotta give them some credit - they shut our system down yesterday (even if our attempts were pathetic). A lot of the goals I do want back but I think they'll be middling around

Reactions: Devs3cups

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Definitely cannot sugar coat anything but last year those would have all been losses so they found ways to win...When they play their game they are tough to beat....Right now missing some toughness without Nate , Palat and possibly Wood so it will be tough week next week for sure...
Right now this team is looking very soft and that’s on Fitzgerald. This is something he should have been working on, especially when your star players are Nico, Hughes and Bratt. And our forward depth is awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Isles have been outshooting their opponents the last 4 games or so. Funny enough they got poo goaltending in a few of those games.

Reactions: My3Sons

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Hahaha but, you got a healthy dose of last years Devils last night. Your very welcome.;)

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Right now this team is looking very soft and that’s on Fitzgerald. This is something he should have been working on, especially when your star players are Nico, Hughes and Bratt. And our forward depth is awful.
Palat and Bastian in for Holtz and Boqvist changes things significantly. I hope they’re both good to go by the end of the year.

Our forward depth is fantastic, I’m not sure what you’re watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad