GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (17-13-2, 36 Pts) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (11-18-6, 28 Pts), 7 PM, MSGSN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikGusev97

Oct 3, 2019
New Jersey
Now imagine if Luke did that entry on the pp instead of the curl drop pass lol

I can't stand the curl drop pass. Move the eff forward please! Sometimes they take it almost all the way to the blue line and then pass it back over 2 lines halfway to the goalie. It's absolutely ludicrous.

In that Niedermayer comparison video, Luke looks faster. Not sure if the Nieds video is slightly slower or actual real time. And when I first saw the play tonight developing, I did think it was Jack. Luke is pretty good!

Camille the Eel

I don't think Hamilton QB's the PP especially well, he just pounds away with shots.

I do agree that Luke still yields too often to teammates, most notably his brother.
Hamilton isn’t agile enough to be ideal at the top of the diamond formation. He also pressures easily and coughs up the puck there because of his lack of lateral movement and foot speed. We gave up a lot of short handed goals last year that way.

Luke’s one timer, and slapper when standing still on the other hand are not yet anywhere near the quality of that shot off the rush tonight where he had the full force of his momentum and speed behind it. His shot on the power play will improve. Don’t forget he’s still 19 I think.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Hamilton isn’t agile enough to be ideal at th top of the diamond formation. He also pressures easily and coughs up the puck there because of his lack of lateral movement and foot speed. We gave up a lot of shortened goals last year that way.

Luke’s one timer, and slapper when standing still on the other hand are not yet anywhere near the quality of that shot off the rush tonight where he had the full force of his momentum and speed behind it. His shot on the power play will improve. Don’t forget he’s still 19 I think.

I'd play Hamilton as a shooter on the half boards and let Nemec or Luke play the QB.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I can't stand the curl drop pass. Move the eff forward please!

In that Niedermayer comparison video, Luke looks faster. Not sure if the Nieds video is slightly slower or actual real time. And when I first saw the play tonight developing, I did think it was Jack. Luke is pretty good!

I’m ok with the drop pass in certain situations, because it can give the trailing puck carrier an easier zone entry and lead to rush chances.

But if you do it every time, it becomes predictable and that makes it lose value. Need to keep the defense uncertain by changing it up.

Also, I initially thought that was Bratt with the crazy move, because Bill had just mentioned him on the call. Was surprised afterward to see it was Luke.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
For the millionth time, if you are not doing the drop pass on the PP then you are intentionally making it harder on yourselves and know nothing about hockey. Every team does it because that’s the only way you push the team back into the dzone which allows you to enter more easily

Then the same people would complain why they can't skate through a damn netural zone trap and resorting to a dump n chase if they didn’t do the drop pass.

My god, the fact that I have to say this every damn season….

Last edited:

NikGusev97

Oct 3, 2019
New Jersey
I’m ok with the drop pass in certain situations, because it can give the trailing puck carrier an easier zone entry and lead to rush chances.

But if you do it every time, it becomes predictable and that makes it lose value. Need to keep the defense uncertain by changing it up.

Also, I initially thought that was Bratt with the crazy move, because Bill had just mentioned him on the call. Was surprised afterward to see it was Luke.

Yes every now and then it's ok but every time is crazy. Just for comedy effect, they should take it a foot from the entry blue line then pass it all the way back to their own goaltender and pretend it was a planned part of the entry scheme.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
For the millionth time, if you are not doing the drop pass on the PP then you are intentionally making it harder on yourselves and know nothing about hockey. Every team does it because that’s the only way you push the team back into the dzone which allows you to enter more easily

My god, the fact that I have to say this every damn season….

When he’s on his game Jack doesn’t need a drop pass. The defense will just back off. Soon enough Luke will also get that respect. At times Bratt can generate those entries as well. Maybe test it situationally? At times it looks like it slows them down.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
When he’s on his game Jack doesn’t need a drop pass. The defense will just back off. Soon enough Luke will also get that respect. At times Bratt can generate those entries as well. Maybe test it situationally? At times it looks like it slows them down.
every once in a while is fine but teams will be ready for it which is why it always defers to the drop pass which makes everyones job easier. We are one of the best at entering the zone on the PP while doing the drop pass. Idk why its even being discussed. Entering the zone is the last issue for our PP at the moment, in fact , its a strength and not even an issue

Also, there are less options when you enter in when not doing a drop pass. Your teammates are not as close and the opponents are not flat footed

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Missed the game but just watched the highlights. Doesn’t seem like a game the inspires confidence.
Not gonna lie

It was looking like it was close to becoming yet another laugher and pointless game against a bottom feeder.

I think one of the Columbus guys almost got to the puck while the net was empty and iced it for them. Or I just have PTSD from how many times we've quickly given up the empty net goal after pulling the goalie this year.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Now imagine if Luke did that entry on the pp instead of the curl drop pass lol
That entry is a high risk play. That kind of individual effort fails way more than it succeeds and when it doesn't we say they are trying to do it all by themselves and trying to be a hero. Tonight it worked and was special because it usually doesn't work. Would have been a devastating loss.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I mean I don't agree you need the drop pass every time you enter the zone, changing it up is the entire point of keeping a team on their toes + if they're reading your entry and cutting it off then change it up. Right now, the Devils should be doing that drop pass into the zone because the entry isn't the issue, the issue with the powerplay is once they get set up, everyone proceeds to shit themselves because teams are hovering over Jack as the main focal point, as they should. Simple change would be put Nemec on the point and have guys actually move, they're too f***ing stagnant. Also take Toffoli off and put Holtz there.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Did someone post these already? I haven’t seen the whole thread. Well either way, I’m posting them too.

That Bean tho
IMG_2688.png

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
That entry is a high risk play. That kind of individual effort fails way more than it succeeds and when it doesn't we say they are trying to do it all by themselves and trying to be a hero. Tonight it worked and was special because it usually doesn't work. Would have been a devastating loss.
Not everytime but throw it in as a wrinkle. Which I don’t they have done yet

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Not everytime but throw it in as a wrinkle. Which I don’t they have done yet

Meh, their entry is actually very good on the powerplay. I would be shocked to see where they rank in terms of PP zone entry % in the league, it has to be up there with how good the unit has been even though it's cooled down considerably since the start of the year.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Meh, their entry is actually very good on the powerplay. I would be shocked to see where they rank in terms of PP zone entry % in the league, it has to be up there with how good the unit has been even though it's cooled down considerably since the start of the year.
Sloppy passes were more on an issue tonight with the PP. Someone pointed out thst the ice wasn't so great too.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I remember Sal showing it was top 3 in zone entry a week or two go in his #Salnalysis

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Damon had a lot of good things to say about this team (and fans) in his post-game. JUST FYI.

starting about a 1 min in, for all your Sevs fans (most of you still are secretly!)

Also i like the phrase he used at the end, "High Demanding Fans here" which I agree concurrently - bar is high! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad